Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes

Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes

Saturday, January 27th, 2018 1:45pm CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 23,630

The official Transformers website has been updated with entries for the earlier waves of Power of the Primes. This includes the promotional and packaging artwork as well as the toy bios. They also happened to include an entry for Optimal Optimus, giving us the very first promotional artwork for the upcoming figure (we only had art for the smaller Optimus Primal toy revealed so far).

The bio and artwork is below. This leader class toy should be coming out around the summer. As with leader calss Optimus and Rodimus, this toy features an evolution gimmick were a smaller bot, Optimus Primal, combines with a larger structure to form Optimal Optimus. While Optimal Optimus retains his gorilla beast mode, it is important to note for those unaware that the smaller Optimus Primal toy does not turn into a gorilla but instead a cybertronian cargo ship. It can be seen in better detail here. This toy coming out, representing the maximal leader from Beast Wars, is a result a the fan vote asking fans who they thought should be the next Prime.

Bio

OPTIMUS PRIMAL
MAXIMAL
The loyal Optimus Primal is the leader of the heroic beast faction, the Maximals. He was once a research-vessel captain. He rose to greatness when he was thrust into a battle he had no choice but to win to save the universe from a terrible fate. Despite his legendary standing, he shows his freewheeling side through his motto: "sometimes crazy works."

Transformers News: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes

Credit(s): Hasbro

Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934100)
Posted by bodrock on January 27th, 2018 @ 2:07pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:
bodrock wrote:Yes, exactly what Sabrblade said!

Do you live in Germany, LP? I'm always curious about availability of new and vintage figures in other countries. I'm fortunate to not only have all those B&Ms, but also several vintage toy stores in the area.

I have to go online for most of the Beast Wars Neo figures, though. I should have a demon lord arriving today who will need proper pics for his face-off against the Primes. :PREDACON:
IMG_9987.PNG

;)^ very nice shin megami tensei reference (true demon ending was a pain to achieve but worth it)

I would love to see Hasbro remake magmatron, just to see what they can do with 2018 engineering.

Yeah it was, ZeroWolf! SMT3 is still an all-time fave.

Good call on a Perfect Effect Magmatron, LP -- their Lio Convoy was pretty cool. But if HasTak can do cool AND affordable, it'd be a whole lot cooler. ;)

I can't wait to get PotP PRIMAL! :MAXIMAL:
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934108)
Posted by Sodan-1 on January 27th, 2018 @ 2:43pm CST
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934109)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 27th, 2018 @ 2:47pm CST
Sodan-1 wrote:Does it bother anyone else that they seem to be primarily identifying this guy by his evolving form of Primal, as opposed to the other leader class figures primarily identified by their evolved forms?
Not really. The "Optimal Optimus" name was only his formal name on the original toy, while in the show it was just a joke that Megatron made once or twice while the guy was still referred to as "Optimus Primal" even in that form.
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934111)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on January 27th, 2018 @ 3:00pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:

Makes you wonder if the "Optimus Primal" name will be applied to the Combined "Prime" form, or the smaller one. Also, what would the other be called (please not "Optimus Minor"!).
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934120)
Posted by Agamemnon on January 27th, 2018 @ 3:53pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Cobotron wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Cobotron wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:Ok, quick question for the people who own Starscream: is there a sculpted number on the inside of his Enigma and if yes, what is that number? Grimlock's has what I think is the number "1" inside his.
Also a 1.
Ok, how about the Matrix Cores of Optimus and Rodimus?
Don't have Prime, but Rod's Matrix core is molded diferently than the enigmas. It os hollow, but has structural cross braces to extend the peg farther out. There is no stamped number inside.

What theory are you conjuring Jelz?

Ah, overthinking things again. I was theorizing that the number refers to the mold used for the Matrix Core/Enigma, since they, along with the Prime Armor, seem to be cast independently from the figure itself. Like Grimlock is Type "1", Starscream is Type "2", that sorta thing. That's not the case, obviously, but you never know. :lol:

Thanks for pitching in so quickly.

I know we moved past this, but I would guess that is a cavity number. In plastic molding, when any identical parts are gang molded, the cavities are numbered, with a molded number ending up on the part. (We used to use this to determine which mold was degrading or otherwise going out of spec...)

So, this has me speculating that there may be other Enigmas coming that may be numbered differently as they close and open different cavities for different toys. It will be interesting to see if Elita 1, Starscream's mold mate, has a different number on her Enigma...
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934125)
Posted by AlexisSkrull on January 27th, 2018 @ 4:06pm CST
Lunatic Prime wrote:
bodrock wrote:Thanks Will -- you close to picking up a Heinraddo of your own? ;)

I saw Rodimus Unicronus on eBay the other day from Kansas. I think it sold for $80+, but it was almost like seeing a unicrorn in the wild....
IMG_0057.JPG

Those people who can't just wait :BANG_HEAD:

I agree with you unless it was a reviewer that bought it as they like to review them before it hits shelves and that makes sense since a lot wait to see a review b4 buying toys.
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934132)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on January 27th, 2018 @ 4:24pm CST
AlexisSkrull wrote:
Lunatic Prime wrote:

IMG_0057.JPG

Those people who can't just wait :BANG_HEAD:

That was my first thought right after I clicked Submit :lol:
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934134)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on January 27th, 2018 @ 4:34pm CST
bodrock wrote:I can't wait to get PotP PRIMAL! :MAXIMAL:
Same here :D

Could we start a discussion about the small guys alt mode (and weaponry)?

Because his artwork show's him with original Optimus Primal's sabers but the toy just gets the gun barrels of Optimal Optimus mode as bats.

And his alt mode is just the space carrier on Optimal Optimus'es back. Or maybe it's the research vessel he was a captain of? #-o But that wouldn't make sense as far as he would have been the captain of his own alt mode :lol: :HEADHURTS:
But it's kinda nice because it could be his pre- :MAXIMAL: BEAST WARS :PREDACON: alt mode.

Or did we already have that and I missed it because I got in here late :???:
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934138)
Posted by Munkky on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:03pm CST
I never had the original Optimal Optimus figure when I was a kid, so I'll jump on this new one as soon as it comes out. I did wonder for a while if the Optimal Optimus form would have the black and grey colour scheme of the regular Optimus Primal, but it's good to see they've kept the orange and blue.
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934139)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:08pm CST
Munkky wrote:I never had the original Optimal Optimus figure when I was a kid, so I'll jump on this new one as soon as it comes out.
I got that one 2 to 3 years ago. It looks cool in robot and beast mode but that's it.

Munkky wrote:I did wonder for a while if the Optimal Optimus form would have the black, grey and red colour scheme of the regular Optimus Primal, but it's good to see they've kept the orange and blue.
I guess the cockpit section will be bright orange because otherwise it wouldn't be accurate to the original one and look pretty off. And the rest of him will be black with a bit white and red like in the artwork.
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934141)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:16pm CST
Lunatic Prime wrote:

The neat thing is that the "Trailer" is more akin to a Pretender Shell, meaning the smaller robot except for the cockpit is hidden away.
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934142)
Posted by Tranzilla on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:31pm CST
I'd be in for a Burning Convoy into Primal Prime recolor.
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934143)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:33pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Lunatic Prime wrote:

Uhhhhm...nope :roll:
Look at the third picture on the upper left side:
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934144)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:36pm CST
Tranzilla wrote:I'd be in for a Burning Convoy into Primal Prime recolor.
Swap out Burning Convoy for Apelinq and you got something there. ;)
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934147)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:40pm CST
A very rainbow gorilla. Looks like something out of the 90's.
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934148)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:40pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
Tranzilla wrote:I'd be in for a Burning Convoy into Primal Prime recolor.
Swap out Burning Convoy for Apelinq and you got something there. ;)

That would be really great. Maybe BotCon exclusive.
But I prefer the contruction site like color scheme of Optimal Optimus over Burning Convoy and Primal Prime. I also didn't like the Year of the Ape recolor of Supreme class Beast Machines Optimus Primal. I'm glad that I got the original one lately :KREMZEEK:
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934150)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:41pm CST
Lunatic Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Tranzilla wrote:I'd be in for a Burning Convoy into Primal Prime recolor.
Swap out Burning Convoy for Apelinq and you got something there. ;)

That would be really great. Maybe BotCon exclusive.
:-(
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934153)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:43pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
Lunatic Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Tranzilla wrote:I'd be in for a Burning Convoy into Primal Prime recolor.
Swap out Burning Convoy for Apelinq and you got something there. ;)

That would be really great. Maybe BotCon exclusive.
:-(

Uh, sorry...HasCon :-D
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934154)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on January 27th, 2018 @ 5:45pm CST
Lunatic Prime wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Lunatic Prime wrote:

Uhhhhm...nope :roll:
Look at the third picture on the upper left side:

O, who cares about backsides? :lol:
Re: Artwork Revealed for Optimal Optimus from Transformers Power of the Primes (1934156)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on January 27th, 2018 @ 6:05pm CST
But what are the opinions on his weapons and alt mode now?

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #277 - Daring to Be Stupid
"Daring to Be Stupid"
Posted: Sunday, May 30th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Commemorative Series 9 Ricochet 2004 NO NIGHTSTICK TRU Excl EX Cond" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects TURTLER / SNAPTRAP Takara TT-GS03 New in Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects G2 Megatron, Netflix Hotlink Target Red Wing" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Scorponok shield original" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege: War for Cybertron Deluxe Class Autobot Chromia Brand New" on EBAY