At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage

Monday, April 16th, 2007 2:32pm CDT

Category: Site News
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 14,252

BREAKING NEWS
NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 11 minutes ago
BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at a college in Virginia on Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman also was killed, and more than a dozen other people were injured.

“Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions,” said Charles Steger, president of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, in southwest Virginia. “The university is shocked and indeed horrified.”

The shootings spread panic and confusion at the college, which is popularly known as Virginia Tech. Witnesses reporting students jumping out the windows of a classroom building to escape the gunfire.

Authorities said the gunman was dead after he shot nearly 50 people at two locations on campus. Twenty-one were confirmed dead, NBC News reported. At least 28 others were injured, at least four of whom were in critical condition, NBC affiliate WSLS-TV in nearby Roanoke reported, quoting local hospital officials.

The name of the gunman, whom witnesses described as a young Asian man wearing a maroon cap and a black leather jacket, was not released. It was not immediately clear whether he shot himself or was killed by police.

The man did not appear to be shooting at random, NBC News’ Pete Williams reported, quoting federal law enforcement officials. He appeared to have specifically targeted the two locations, a co-ed dormitory and a classroom in an engineering building.

Officials told Williams that they were investigating reports that the gunman may have chained the doors of the classroom closed so his victims could not escape.

No terrorism evidence
The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at 7:15 a.m. ET at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people.

The campus was under lockdown, with students asked to stay indoors and away from the windows, when authorities got word of gunfire about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

Some but not all of the dead were students. One student was killed in the dorm, and the others were killed in the classroom, said Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko in Washington said there was no immediate evidence to suggest it was a terrorist attack, “but all avenues will be explored.”

Law enforcement officials said the gunman carried two weapons, a 9-mm handgun and a 22-caliber gun, Williams reported.

Until Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard drove his pickup into a Luby’s Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.

The deadliest previous campus shooting in U.S. history took place in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire. He killed 16 people before he was gunned down by police. In the Columbine High School bloodbath near Littleton, Colo., in 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

After Monday’s shootings at Virginia Tech, all entrances to the campus were closed.

The university set up a meeting place for families to reunite with their children at the Inn at Virginia Tech. It also made counselors available and planned a convocation for Tuesday at the Cassell Coliseum basketball arena.

“There’s just a lot of commotion. It’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on,” said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the fourth floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode’s resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

“They had us under lockdown,” Kanode said. “They temporarily lifted the lockdown; the gunman shot again.

“We’re all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what’s going on,” Kanode said.

Credit(s): Cyclonus_3009

Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87093)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:35pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:I posted this on the front page. I know some of you don't like when I post real news on the homepage of the site, but this is a very shocking and very sad set of events that happened this morning. As much as I love Transformers and enjoy having Seibertron.com to escape from the "real world", I feel it is my obligation as the owner of a major website to relay events of this nature to take a moment to reflect about life and to inform the tens of thousands of people who visit this site daily.

To hell with those who dont like it. Things like this need to be reported on.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87095)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:37pm CDT
Megatron_Wolf wrote:

To hell with those who dont like it. Things like this need to be reported on.

Exactly.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87097)
Posted by Nemesis_Apoc on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:38pm CDT
Oh, man... this is crazy. My condolenscences for the families affected by this horrible accurance.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87100)
Posted by Autobot_Prowl on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:38pm CDT
Condolences to all the families and friends of the victims.
This is incredible that in the time that we are living still hapens tragedies like this one...
There are no words to descrive my fellings at this time...
May they rest in peace... :-(
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87102)
Posted by Angie Prime on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:39pm CDT
When I first heard about this, I was shocked, then scared. My brother's over there, and thankfully he's all right, and so's my friends, but I just can't understand how this could happen. My prayers go out to the friends and family of those who were lost, and for the victims themselves.

-Angie Prime
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87104)
Posted by Robinson on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:40pm CDT
Caelus wrote:
1Big\"F\"ingRayOfSunshine wrote:Guy must have got a d on a project. Idiot. people like that piss me off

I actually doubt that was the case.

But since he's dead it may be a long time before we know for sure.

I know, I'm just being general about some of the types of excuses the "shooters' use to do crap like this. "My mom didnt make me eat my brusselsprouts" or "that guy picked on me in kindercare, I think he and his friends should die"

I live in East County San Diego and we had the Santee shootings and Granite hills shootings within a month or 2 of each other and both of them were "boo hoo poor me" idiots and I cant stand it when people like that have little respect for human life.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87106)
Posted by Roboto750 on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:41pm CDT
I've been reading about this on the news sites (at work right now) and heard about it a bit on the radio. This is just plain sad news. I agree it should be reported here though.

I also attend college and I just can't help but imagine those events playing out on my campus (no, I don't think they will or anything like that). It's just a terrible thing to even think about. I mean, just what could set off a person like that? Even though it may be a while, I hope some connections or what not will come forth soon. Hopefully this was just an isolated incident (I'm confident that it was).
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87110)
Posted by Seibertron on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:42pm CDT
Cyber Bishop wrote:
Megatron_Wolf wrote:

To hell with those who dont like it. Things like this need to be reported on.

Exactly.

Thank you. I agree.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87116)
Posted by Sun Runner on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:44pm CDT
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87117)
Posted by Switchpoint on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:44pm CDT
May God be with all the families affected by this horrible tragedy. My prayers go out to all of us in this time of need.
What a sad, sick world we live in.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87118)
Posted by osiricon on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:45pm CDT
Whatever the reason is, it still is not going to justify what he did. I bet you the first politicians are going to talk about is stricter gun laws. That will side step the true tragedy that happened. May time will mend their hearts.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87122)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:48pm CDT
My best to the victoms and their families.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87123)
Posted by Unicron's_head on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:48pm CDT
This was a senseless act of violence. Not to praise the gunman but he knew what he was doing. He shot the campus guard so that the police would be concentraded on that crime scene while he went to the classrooms un-opposed.

31 students dead...what happened to the measures put in place after Columbine?! This guy is a gawd damm coward for commiting suicide. I'm done here
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87124)
Posted by Ericus Prime on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:50pm CDT
I can't find the words to describe how I feel at this moment.
My condolences to the friends and family of the victims.
It's monsters like the murderer that disgust me.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87126)
Posted by Unicron's_head on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:51pm CDT
Sun Runner wrote:It's 32 confirmed now, shooter is supposedly dead used 2 9 mm pistols, I truly feel sorry for the victims and my prayers go out to them, but then as if on cue Jack Thompson was on and of Course that son of a bitch starts blaming videogames. How dare they put that ambulance chaser on to asses this horrible tradgedy.

That narrow minded son of a bitch :-x People have died and this has nothing todo with video games
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87127)
Posted by Talyn on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:52pm CDT
so what the heck was happening for the 2 hours between the shootings??
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87132)
Posted by Dagon on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:53pm CDT
A black day indeed.
I know it's a college, but we school teachers hardly expect something of this magnatude in a place of learning, regardless of level.
To all of them there, my heart and mind, along with all of yours here.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87133)
Posted by Ericus Prime on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:53pm CDT
I wish I could say more, but they're inappropriate.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87134)
Posted by Brakethrough on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:53pm CDT
Oh boy. Now Fred "Hatred is a lifestyle, not an emotion" Phelps is chiming in about it. He intends to "preach" at the funerals.
Re: At least 31 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage (87135)
Posted by Unicron's_head on April 16th, 2007 @ 2:53pm CDT
Talyn wrote:so what the heck was happening for the 2 hours between the shootings??

That's a good question...

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Titan Changer Megatron Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #275 - Non-Fungible Mailbag
"Non-Fungible Mailbag"
Posted: Saturday, May 1st, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime Cyberverse Commander Class Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 80 84 Devastator Constructicon Scrapper" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers R.e.d. MEGATRON Vinyl RED Series Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Deluxe Starscream and wfc generations starscream lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Lot-Cyberverse Bumblebee and Jazz, Quick Change" on EBAY