Botcon 2009: Weird Al Yankovic and David Kaye TF Animated Panel

Botcon 2009: Weird Al Yankovic and David Kaye TF Animated Panel

Saturday, May 30th, 2009 6:13pm CDT

Categories: Event News, People News
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 20,185

Continuing coverage of the Botcon 2009 Panels brings us David Kaye and Weird Al Yankovich doing a question and answer session for attendees. We were treated to a host of impressions from the duo along with some comedic answers to questions posed by Botcon goers. Here’s a portion of the Q & A session for your reading pleasure:

The duo started off explaining how it was when they first worked with each other and how they prepared for it.

David Kaye: When we get a script or breakdown of characters we see whos playing who and when I saw that it was Weird Al playing Wreck Gar it was surreal.

Weird Al: Its was fun developing Wreck Gar cause my character voice is really just my regular voice but a lot more obnoxious.

Q and A

For Al, have you ever thought about doing a parody of the Touch?

I was thinking of doing a speed metal version of it but it got a little outdated.

What was your favorite part of TFA?

We loved every time we worked together.

For Al, can you describe the process of choosing parody songs?

There’s no real set of parameters for choosing a song, but I browse the billboards top songs, which ones are the most popular and pick candidates and come up with a whacky idea for it then go about getting permission to do the parody.

For Al, what was your initial reaction when asked to come back to Transformers?

I was for it, like sure, I’m a big fan of Transformers and it was a great way to complete the circle.

If they were to do another Animated movie would you…?

YES! (from both).

For David, is there any other character you’d like to do?
Oh God how many toys are there. 12? I’d do 12 other voices. Al does “Hi I’m Megatron” in Wreck Gars voice.

How much did you improvise when working together? Was it encouraged?

Al: Well my involvement was pretty limited and I just followed the script. I did add in laughing and such to add to the character. David: Every once and a while we try to do things a little different but most of the time we just stuck to the script.

For Al, Since you’ve met so many people in the voice acting industry have you wanted to bring any on your albums?

I’ve met people and done it on a couple of occasions starting back in 1983. I’ve been fortunate work with some of the greatest voice actors in the world and had the opportunity to work with some on my albums.

What is the strangest thing you’d have to autograph at a convention?

Weird Al, sometimes its somebody’s body part and the next time I see them its tattooed on them. David: I autographed a baby this morning.

For David, which Transformers series did you enjoy working on the most?

Animated because of the people I was with, but I liked them all.

For David, which character did you like the most?

I had a lot of fun with Megatron, he was great to do as opposed to when I play a good guy I’m limited to what I can do.

Weird Al, if ever you were asked to work on the live action movie would you consider it? (Jokingly) I’d think about it. David, Yes.

For Weird Al, what was your reaction when you saw your song, Dare to be Stupid, on a movie with a bunch of robots break dancing to it?

[b]Well, when I wrote this song I thought someday it’d be great to see a bunch of robots break dancing to it.

For Weird Al, would Wreck Gar hire himself to the Detroit Garbage Collection?

Boy, I have to really peel back the layers of my character to give you a definite answer on that…..Yes.

For Weird Al, how did you come up with the idea of Wreck Gar just repeating everything he hears?
This is a fascinating story, really…. I read the script.

What do you guys do when your not working?

Weird Al, well I try to spend as much time with my family as I can, I have a six year old daughter who’s very imaginative and is into Star Wars but sometimes ask me to do Wreck Gar around the house. David, well it’s the same for me, my family is actually here in the crowd.

With all the voice acting and changing in pitch, do you have to do voice exercises to tune into characters?

Weird Al, I eat nothing but boiled squash all day. David, I do do certain voice training techniques to help with certain characters.

Credit(s): Botcon

This article was last modified on Saturday, May 30th, 2009 6:17pm CDT

Re: Botcon 2009: Weird Al Yankovic and David Kaye TF Animated Panel (929183)
Posted by robofreak on May 30th, 2009 @ 7:30pm CDT
I came into this panel late so thank you for posting all the previous stuff.

I managed to meet both of them for autographs which was really cool.
Re: Botcon 2009: Weird Al Yankovic and David Kaye TF Animated Panel (929202)
Posted by Wheeljack35 on May 30th, 2009 @ 8:01pm CDT
I wonder why they would allow it to be video taped?
Re: Botcon 2009: Weird Al Yankovic and David Kaye TF Animated Panel (929368)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on May 31st, 2009 @ 1:54am CDT
Wheeljack35 wrote:I wonder why they would allow it to be video taped?

It would be pretty sweet if there was the entire panel on YouTube but they need a big incentive for people to attend the convention.
Re: Botcon 2009: Weird Al Yankovic and David Kaye TF Animated Panel (929617)
Posted by TulioDude on May 31st, 2009 @ 1:59pm CDT
Both are Preety awesome.
Re: Botcon 2009: Weird Al Yankovic and David Kaye TF Animated Panel (929776)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on May 31st, 2009 @ 7:42pm CDT
Another highlight: Weird Al and David Kaye singing the Rubber Ducky song as Wreck-Gar and Megatron.
Re: Botcon 2009: Weird Al Yankovic and David Kaye TF Animated Panel (930961)
Posted by Wheeljack35 on June 2nd, 2009 @ 6:43pm CDT
Supreme Convoy wrote:
Wheeljack35 wrote:I wonder why they would allow it to be video taped?

Yeah but there are only so many people that can fit into a room

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Voyager Inferno Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers generations Combiner Wars Skywarp" on EBAY
Buy "Vortex Decepticon Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron 2012 Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Generations Combiner Wars Thundercracker Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Starscream Masterpiece MP-3 Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Headmaster Reissue Hardhead Chromedome Brainstorm Mindwipe Set of 4" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS LOT RHINOX SOUNDWAVE DOUBLEDEALER USA HASBRO" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Jazware Zoteki Battle On Cybertron Rare Hot Toy Collectible" on EBAY