Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China

Transformers News: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China

Saturday, January 26th, 2019 10:17PM CST

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: RobRobRobRobRob   Views: 11,349

While Bumblebee’s US theatrical run may be winding down, we have word that Bumblebee will journey on on a foreign shore familiar to many Transformer fans: China. Taken directly from the China Box Office Twitter, Bumblebee has been renewed for showings until March 2nd.

For those unfamiliar with Chinese regulations, most foreign films are restricted to about a month in theaters. To have Bumblebee extended required the studio's filing of an official request to Chinese authorities. This is an apparent first in the Transformers franchise, seeing as most records indicate no other Transformers film has ran in China long enough to substantiate a renewal. With the extension, Bumblebee’s run will last 57 days in total, dwarfing The Last Knight and Age of Extinction's runs of 31 and 35 days respectively.

With Bumblebee grossing the least of all Paramount's films, and with overseas revenue tending to be more lucrative than domestic, this extension may be the push Bumblebee needs to catch up with its predecessors.

Transformers News: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China

What are your thoughts? Do you see this as a sign of good faith from Paramount, or does this seem more like a desperate attempt to increase the film's relatively-low profits? Do you care? Let us know what you think in the forums below, and stay tuned to Seibertron for more Transformers News and Reviews.
Credit(s): China Box Office Twitter, Box Office Mojo

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2006917)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on January 26th, 2019 @ 11:22pm CST
Well first of all I'm surprised that neither AoE nor TLK got an extension like this, considering Chinese involvement in those films. Or maybe it's like you said, Bumblebee is not doing as well as those movies did financially.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2006944)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 27th, 2019 @ 4:36am CST
Actually I think aoe and tlk would have got similar extensions if they were released at the same time that bee was. I think paramount will be happy with the money it's made compared to how much it cost so I don't think that's the reason at all
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2006978)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on January 27th, 2019 @ 10:05am CST
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007003)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on January 27th, 2019 @ 12:43pm CST
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:Ultimately it is a shame. If this film had been the first live action Transformers, I think this would have been extremely well received. Sadly the oversaturation of Bayformers may have poisoned the well, so to speak.
Or maybe people didn't like it because it wasn't as great as some fans think it was.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007004)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on January 27th, 2019 @ 12:49pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:

"Greatness" is subjective. As a Decepticon fan, ALL Transformers films, baring '86, have been a series of perpetually huge disappointments. Without mentioning the bizarre fetishising of Prime and Bumblebee.

Nevertheless It is better than Bayformers, although that isn't a particularly high standard to begin with. A friend who is a non-Transformers fan went to see Bumblebee and he enjoyed it. In summation, his final words on the film were "it was a Transformers film not made by a sexual predator" :lol:
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007006)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on January 27th, 2019 @ 12:57pm CST
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Nevertheless It is better than Bayformers
Like you said about "greatness," "better" is also subjective. You think it was better than Bayformers. I don't. That's the good thing about opinions. We can have different ones. This movie is the first TF film I don't care to ever see again. And going by the box office, I'm not the only one. I'm not saying it's horrible, but I don't think it was good. The story and character development was on par with Bayverse, but it was missing the big action pieces. I wouldn't have minded that if the story was better.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007008)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on January 27th, 2019 @ 1:12pm CST
I saw the first Bayformers twice, the second once and the third likewise, before tapping out. Never gone back to them, never bought them on DVD or the toys etc Because I don't support things I don't like, even within a series that I do. The emphasis on humans, shows the creators behind Bayformers don't get what Transformers is. By the same token, over-humanising Transformers in IDW demonstrated the same thing to me, hence why I turned my back on that too.

Transformers is not rocket science to get right. But when you use the very core of the series as a backdrop, you are being disingenuous in what you are making.

The story for Bumblebee was a simple one, not award winning by any means. An origin story, clearly skirting the line between Hard and Soft Reboot, before they cowardly back-peddled out of the idea completely. But it is less focused on superficial spectacle (and flaunting Bay's Jingoistic nonsense) than tell a story, which is one mark that in particular, that puts it above Bayformers.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007015)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 27th, 2019 @ 2:18pm CST
Thing is paramount never said it was anything but a prequel, it was us fans that always brought on the speculation about its status. I mean it's not like tf designs didn't radically change from one installment to another already... (amarda -> Energon -> Cybertron, Prime -> Rid 2015, all of IDW practically) Knight thought he could change the looks and still get away with it being a prequel.

Also re: humans in the franchise, it all depends on the story you want to tell, if its just a war story the humans (other then celebrity voices as Studios want star power in the film somewhere... And no, the brand is not that kind of star power) will not be required. Doing a "in disguise" type of story then yeah, you need humans, there's a balance to strike.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007019)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on January 27th, 2019 @ 2:28pm CST
I'm not even talking about what other people call it,that's largely irrelevant. To me, watching Bumblebee, it came across in it's execution as a Reboot. A Directorial change was that much of a breath of fresh air, in my view.

When it comes to humans, that balance is rarely struck. If one in five scenes of your film is on humans and not Transformers, in their titular film, it is not a Transformers film. By the same token if Transformers don't transform for the majority of your story, they are not Transformers. They are colourful generic robots ala latter IDWverse.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007022)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 27th, 2019 @ 2:43pm CST
But that's only by your standards and definitions, not Hasbros or Paramounts. Also I would love it if the movies went more like IDW with characters and concepts, I still have hope that one day Hasbro will do a DC and start putting out direct to disc/stream animated movies based on IDW arcs or other past comic arcs that warrant the work.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007025)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on January 27th, 2019 @ 2:49pm CST
I'm an individual, not some faceless conglomerate, I have no interest in tailoring my own experience to the views of such people.

Indeed. I think Megatron: Origin, the -Ations and LSoTW would make great animated movies. Even Maximum Dinobots, with a little tweaking, would be entertaining to see in motion.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007152)
Posted by What's Crackin'? on January 28th, 2019 @ 12:50pm CST
I remember sending you guys a message about this almost a week ago. Damn.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007153)
Posted by william-james88 on January 28th, 2019 @ 12:55pm CST
What's Crackin'? wrote:I remember sending you guys a message about this almost a week ago. Damn.

You and others sent this our way, it just took a while to get to it.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007158)
Posted by o.supreme on January 28th, 2019 @ 1:12pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:I still have hope that one day Hasbro will do a DC and start putting out direct to disc/stream animated movies based on IDW arcs or other past comic arcs that warrant the work.

I've been saying this as well. Except I wouldn't want them to be limited to IDW content, as I'm not really the biggest fan of IDW, a couple stories here-and-there maybe, but there are over 30 years of lore from various other animated series, and comics to draw from.

As much as I enjoy the DC animated films that come out at the rate of 3 per-year, one of the biggest weaknesses IMHO is that they have an ongoing narrative based on New 52. They do break form this at times, which is great, but the new 52 stuff has been pretty *meh*. Death of Superman & Reign of the Supermen would have been SO MUCH BETTER if they had kept the original story/setting, and not tried to tie it to the New 52 version.

Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007160)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 28th, 2019 @ 1:55pm CST
o.supreme wrote:

That's more what I was getting at with past comic arcs, though would they be able to touch the dreamwave stuff? Does the rights to the DW material revert to IDW when they got the licence?

Also I assumed the death of supes was the original story retold, had no idea it was based of a new 52 thing.

Back to Bee though, I don't understand why people keep assuming it's because it hasn't made enough money as its profitable now and there's still Japan to go. We're getting close to Chinese New year afterall...
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007174)
Posted by 15ngcs1 on January 28th, 2019 @ 3:30pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:
o.supreme wrote:

Yes Chinese New Year starts on Feb 5.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007176)
Posted by o.supreme on January 28th, 2019 @ 3:38pm CST
BB is only 10M away from exceeding TLK US domestic Box Office. I am happy that it is profitable overall, and still has a few markets to be released in. I seriously doubt it will surpass the WWBO of TLK, but to surpass just the US Domestic BO of TLK would send a HUGE message, I would hope.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007188)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 28th, 2019 @ 5:33pm CST
I'm super glad we're still climbing the dollar signs. I'm really hoping that we get more movies that take some more cues from this with some more action.
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007691)
Posted by shajaki on February 1st, 2019 @ 6:51am CST
Re: Bumblebee Theatrical Run Extended in China (2007734)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on February 1st, 2019 @ 12:25pm CST
o.supreme wrote:The same could be said for Transformers. Give us some new stories set in the original Sunbow animated continuity. Some Japanese stories, something from Marvel Comics, Dreamwave, Beast Wars, IDW...etc... a little form each would be great over time.

Those three would contradict each other though, Takara would be at odds with the ending to Sunbow and Marvel TF would need a lot of context. Plus given what I've read of RE-G1, I don't think any of them would hold up to modern scrutiny now. Not to mention the fact that a decent chunk of the original voice cast have passed away.

The Dreamwave stuff I have read, is low brow enough to approximate Sunbow/Takara/Marvel anyway. Beast Wars was self-contained, unless you want to see prequel stories or plots involving the Japanese BW cast. Furman's initial IDWverse would work very well as animated films. I mean he used everyone, right down to the Micromasters in Spotlight: Nightbeat and used them well.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #217 - Toy Fair 2019
"Toy Fair 2019"
Posted: Monday, February 18th, 2019

Buy "Combiner Wars Ironhide Transformers Deluxe 2015 CW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Mirage" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return BLOWPIPE & TRIGGERHAPPY New in Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return MONXO & WOLFWIRE figure boy toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Prowl Police Car Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Walgreens Exclusive Cloudraker and Wingspan MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class WOLFWIRE Weird Wolf Loose Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class Skullsmasher Complete" on EBAY