Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide

Transformers News: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide

Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 10:21AM CST

Categories: Toy News, Site Articles, Knock Offs
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 68,616

Fellow Seibertron.com user shajaki has spent quite some time figuring out all the differences between the Takara Tomy MP-10A Bathing Ape Convoy and its unfortunate knock-off counterpart. As some collectors may still be on the hunt for this redeco, we're sharing with you all the guide put together to figure out whether you're looking at the real deal or not - check it out below!

Alright folks! I have been driving myself nuts over this figure. At first because of the cost. Then because of the picture perfect KO. I've been researching a bunch over the past few days, and feel I have enough findings to finally make this thread. so here we go!

First: The box
Down there are some pics of the legit box. Now, I work in a chemical plant. And any given thing we have (received or blended by us) has a "lot" or "batch" number mainly to keep track of when and where things are made. Well apparently toys are no different. If you check on the bottom of the MP boxes (or elsewhere on any other TF) you'll find the lot number. I surmised that while they (the KO'ers) have counterfeited the box, they didn't go so far as to stamp the box with that number like Takara did. Turns out I was right.

Transformers News: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide

Transformers News: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide

Transformers News: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide

Transformers News: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide

You'll see that the bottom right of the box (of the legit Takara version) has a stamp with "G1214". And if what I know about lot number is true, the 14 at the end probably means "made in 2014", but I digress. I think most figures of the same type and mold will have the same lot number, especially on such a limited run like this. So all legit MP BAPEs should have that number.

Below this, is the bottom of the KO box (I'm not bothering with other angles cause they're the same as the legit). You'll notice a couple differences, mainly that there's no bar code, and no lot number stamp. And BOOM. You just confirmed a sealed BAPE to be a KO. ;)

Transformers News: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide

SECOND: The Figure
The legit BAPE uses the MP10B (Black Convoy) variation of the mold, which has the (molded) Autobot insignia removed, so both shoulders are smooth and clean. The left shoulder is where said insignia should be, but the BAPE logo is there instead, and the right one has nothing.

Transformers News: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide

The KO was molded from one of the original MP10s, and thus has the molded Autobot insignia on the left shoulder. so in turn the bape KO has something on each shoulder. the bape logo is on the opposite shoulder it should be, because of the molded insignia is obviously still there.

Transformers News: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide

In closing, I hope this helps cause I wasn't able to find this info anywhere else. Being able to tell if something is a KO or not is pretty easy in hand, but in the age of internet buying you really have to be careful. And while most people selling these KOs clearly state what they are, it doesn't mean there won't be someone trying to pass one off as the real deal.

Happy (safe) hunting everyone!
Credit(s): shajaki
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639001)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on January 14th, 2015 @ 11:11am CST
"Unfortunate" indeed. Someone finally musters enough effort to actually reverse mold a KO of a recent MP instead of cobbling one together from reject parts, and it's the one that's desirable almost solely because of its exclusivity. (I guess this color scheme would be nice if you wanted a more military Optimus, or needed green to complete a "rainbow of Convoys" display)

So congrats, whoever, on making a KO that even I couldn't defend for any reason. May they all be broken down for parts to make a fake MP Killing Jar black hole Ultra Magnus (assuming Takara doesn't actually do that repaint).

And mostly, great work Shajaki!
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639006)
Posted by Rated X on January 14th, 2015 @ 11:22am CST
I can produce bape KOs without a factory. Give me a four pack of 211 steel reserve and some MP-10s. Ill get wasted and puke all over them till theyre all baped out. :SICK:
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639009)
Posted by shajaki on January 14th, 2015 @ 11:33am CST
wow! thanks for news'ing this va'al! :grin:

and... thanks for your opinion on the bape scheme X... >:oP
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639011)
Posted by Va'al on January 14th, 2015 @ 11:33am CST
shajaki wrote:wow! thanks for news'ing this va'al! :grin:

Thank also Dead Metal, who notified us of the thread. :D
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639031)
Posted by shajaki on January 14th, 2015 @ 12:39pm CST
Va'al wrote:
shajaki wrote:wow! thanks for news'ing this va'al! :grin:
Thank also Dead Metal, who notified us of the thread. :D
ahh. well thanks to you too DM ;)
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639050)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 14th, 2015 @ 1:05pm CST
shajaki wrote:
Va'al wrote:
shajaki wrote:wow! thanks for news'ing this va'al! :grin:
Thank also Dead Metal, who notified us of the thread. :D
ahh. well thanks to you too DM ;)

I demand news recognition and the movie rights to the thread. :lol:
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639057)
Posted by Va'al on January 14th, 2015 @ 1:14pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:
shajaki wrote:
Va'al wrote:
shajaki wrote:wow! thanks for news'ing this va'al! :grin:
Thank also Dead Metal, who notified us of the thread. :D
ahh. well thanks to you too DM ;)

I demand news recognition and the movie rights to the thread. :lol:

Wish granted.

Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639065)
Posted by cor2879 on January 14th, 2015 @ 1:40pm CST
Call me crazy but the Autobot insignia actually makes the KO version look better (IMO) than the official. If I were buying this to display on a shelf, I'd rather have the KO.
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639066)
Posted by shajaki on January 14th, 2015 @ 1:43pm CST
Va'al wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
shajaki wrote:
Va'al wrote:
shajaki wrote:wow! thanks for news'ing this va'al! :grin:
Thank also Dead Metal, who notified us of the thread. :D
ahh. well thanks to you too DM ;)

I demand news recognition and the movie rights to the thread. :lol:

Wish granted.

im keeping the merchandising rights. ima be george lucas rich!
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639091)
Posted by Cobotron on January 14th, 2015 @ 2:07pm CST
shajaki wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
shajaki wrote:
Va'al wrote:
shajaki wrote:wow! thanks for news'ing this va'al! :grin:
Thank also Dead Metal, who notified us of the thread. :D
ahh. well thanks to you too DM ;)

I demand news recognition and the movie rights to the thread. :lol:

Wish granted.

im keeping the merchandising rights. ima be george lucas rich!
Than you better sell it all to Disney. :lol:
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639139)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 14th, 2015 @ 3:27pm CST
shajaki wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
shajaki wrote:
Va'al wrote:
shajaki wrote:wow! thanks for news'ing this va'al! :grin:
Thank also Dead Metal, who notified us of the thread. :D
ahh. well thanks to you too DM ;)

I demand news recognition and the movie rights to the thread. :lol:

Wish granted.

im keeping the merchandising rights. ima be george lucas rich!

You can have those, but I DEMAND 70% of all profits for usage of any and all movie related characters and logos!
:lol:

Man, I hope we're not ruining this excellent thread. But yeah, great job on putting this together! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639171)
Posted by chachipower on January 14th, 2015 @ 5:20pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:So in short:

1) the KO box has no bar code and lot number, as a result of some other omissions the rest has shifted towards the middle
2) the KO has the molded :BOT: and the BAPE logo on the wrong side.

Gotcha. Gotta appreciate those small differences :x

Here's another way to spot the KO right away. If the box is in front of you, you will notice the "Takara Tomy" logo is missing on the box. I am not aware of Bape KO with logo, only without Takara Tomy logo. Picture http://www.facebook.com/428043647269721/photos/a.428132450594174.96346.428043647269721/770554043018678/?type=1&theater

I made a video of the KO where you can see the box and figure
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639186)
Posted by Prime Riblet on January 14th, 2015 @ 6:43pm CST
I can see why this would drive you nuts, shajaki.

I have to admit though, that is a pretty impressive KO. Like someone said earlier, if I were in the market for this sucker, I might actually go for the knock-off before the reall thing. I like that :BOT: on the left arm. It is annoying but also interesting how good some of these KOs are getting. Seriously. It is real? Is it fake? Are we inside the Matrix? WTF?
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1639225)
Posted by shajaki on January 14th, 2015 @ 9:25pm CST
chachipower wrote:If the box is in front of you, you will notice the "Takara Tomy" logo is missing on the box.

i cant believe i missed that! it was seriously staring me right in the face. thanks for that! i guess its good that theres multiple ways to distinguish the real from KO ;)
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1640709)
Posted by chachipower on January 18th, 2015 @ 11:47pm CST
shajaki wrote:

Not all KO's will leave out the TT logo...Ive noticed only when there is a change to the figure. For example, the regular car KO's have TT logo's, but the MP-12J doesnt because its a KO only release.
The MP-10 KO doesnt have TT logo because it has no trailer and upgraded paint apps.
The Bape MP-10 has no TT logo because of the differences on the shoulders.
I'm sure it will continue this way.

BTW, Bape trailer coming out soon and also a trailer for MP-10B!
Re: Buyer Beware! MP10A Bape Convoy KO Guide (1641035)
Posted by fenrir72 on January 19th, 2015 @ 11:40pm CST
That was fast!

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Generations 2 Fall Of Cybertron Bruticus 5-Pack NEW SEALED - Time Remaining: 2 days 21 hours 32 minutes 17 seconds
Transformers Dark Of The Moon Arcee DLX Class New Sealed - Time Remaining: 1 day 15 hours 33 minutes 36 seconds
Transformers Ultimate Optimus Prime 12" - 22" Tall Dark of the moon - Robot - Time Remaining: 1 day 8 hours 34 minutes 4 seconds
TAKARA TOMY Transformers TLK-24 DINOBOT SCORN New - Time Remaining: 1 day 23 hours 47 minutes 21 seconds
TAKARA TOMY Transformers TLK-23 STRAFE New - Time Remaining: 6 days 13 hours 50 minutes 57 seconds
Transformers Cybertron Defense Red Alert Hasbro - Time Remaining: 7 days 18 hours 4 minutes 41 seconds
Transformers Cybertron Supreme Class Starscream Hasbro - Time Remaining: 7 days 12 hours 4 minutes 35 seconds
Transformers Movie Dark of The Moon DotM Mechtech Deluxe Class Crankcase Sealed - Time Remaining: 1 day 16 hours 9 minutes 25 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #188 - Mutinous Intent