Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms

Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms

Tuesday, October 9th, 2007 9:23am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Company News, Collectables
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 36,861

The errors were scathing to some. To others they put it aside, and chalked it up as an IDW rush job with so much happening on the TF comics front lately.

Chris Ryall has heard the complaints, the comments, and the criticisms and he calmly replies, taking the blame for the book upon his shoulders, and promising better things:

"Hey, everyone--

In the time we've been doing Transformers comics, there have been highs and lows for the fans, I know. As there's going to be on anything -- some projects work better than others, for various reasons.

This one seems to be ranking somewhere near the first issue of the TF Animated Series for most of you, from the responses I've seen.

Which sucks all around--the last thing we want to do is release product that doesn't work for you. Especially since this particular book took so long to finally arrive. And because so many artists and colorists labored over it. And because Simon and Ben Yee did the same, and then waited patiently for the book to finally be assembled and released.

So for the person who just e-mailed me very angry and said "once again, IDW screws its fans," well, that's hardly true and hardly a sound approach to business, I would think. And nothing we would ever set out to do.

So what happened?

That's a good question. But there's really no need for me to make excuses or air any beasty-smelling laundry, so I'll just say that the book is, like everything we publish, ultimately my responsibility. This book was one that sort of slipped through the crack while I was dealing with an editorial shift, and it went out with some errors. Book Two was completed during this same period. But Andrew is here as the TF Editor now, and is extremely competent and he and I will do what we can to ensure the rest of the books are produced as they should be. As many errors are able to be corrected in the collected version will be fixed, too.

I know that this book was a bit of a disappointment for fans who waited so long. Transition with art teams or editorial teams can cause hiccups that are evidenced in the finished product, but certainly not on purpose.

So know that I share your pain on this--maybe moreso, since so many people have shared their pain with me--but also know that putting out something you don't love is never our intent. We'll get 'em next time."

You can see the original IDW Forum thread here.

While they cannot undo what has been done, and there are no promises made that things will be corrected in the Trade Paperback release, we do know that this will be a focus for them to get the remaining issues right.

You can become a part of our discussion of the 'Beast Wars Sourcebook #1' here

Credit(s): The Allspark

Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (390913)
Posted by Counterpunch on October 9th, 2007 @ 9:26am CDT
At least he Cowboy-ed up to this one. I can respect that.

Big Convoy is still owed a big apology though.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (390919)
Posted by darth reven on October 9th, 2007 @ 9:30am CDT
cool
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (390922)
Posted by darth reven on October 9th, 2007 @ 9:31am CDT
cool
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (390927)
Posted by Leonardo on October 9th, 2007 @ 9:36am CDT
Kudos to Ryall for being professional and admitting any mistakes (which I haven't seen as I'm still waiting for the book to arrive), as well as maintaining a civil discourse with the fans.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (390932)
Posted by Archanubis on October 9th, 2007 @ 9:38am CDT
Maybe I should look over the issue before I buy it...
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (390949)
Posted by tile_mcgillus on October 9th, 2007 @ 9:43am CDT

WOW. That never happens. Mad props to Ryall for doing what was right. I respect that immensely.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (390993)
Posted by Optimutt on October 9th, 2007 @ 10:11am CDT
What kinds of mistakes were made?
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (390997)
Posted by Sloptank on October 9th, 2007 @ 10:12am CDT
Major high fives to the man in the robot suit.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391070)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on October 9th, 2007 @ 10:54am CDT
Sloptank wrote:Major high fives to the man in the robot suit.

I agree! This is the guy we need working on the MOVIE!
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391094)
Posted by Arcadius-Prime on October 9th, 2007 @ 11:18am CDT
I think IDW wants to do right by us and I respect that, and sometimes not all projects turn out to be winners and I except that.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391104)
Posted by Superginraix on October 9th, 2007 @ 11:23am CDT
"once again, IDW screws its fans,"?

Immature.

Big of Ryall to admit a mistake. I hope that it DOES get fixed up a bit in TPB form. Those images could be a lot larger to cover up some of that empty white space, for example. ;)

I'm actually surprised by the lack of text in the book. I guess I was expecting something more like More Than Meets the Eye. Ah well.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391216)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on October 9th, 2007 @ 12:40pm CDT
I just keep liking this guy more and more.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391225)
Posted by First-Aid on October 9th, 2007 @ 12:46pm CDT
tile_mcgillus wrote:I am not a big Beast Wars fan but that was awesome. He admitted his mistake and apologized. Then gave plans for the future to rectify it.

Hey Barry Bonds and Michael Vick, THAT'S HOW YOU APOLOGIZE! LEARN FROM IT YOU IDIOTS!
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391289)
Posted by slagfan on October 9th, 2007 @ 1:18pm CDT
"This is the guy we need working on the MOVIE!"

Agreed. I enjoyed the prequel a lot and I thought things tied in to the movie quite nicely.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391312)
Posted by Dr. Z on October 9th, 2007 @ 1:27pm CDT
Sorry to ask, but what is that book about exactly? And what are the mistakes?
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391342)
Posted by Cyber-Kun on October 9th, 2007 @ 1:40pm CDT
Well, I was really pissed with the screw-ups, but at least Chris has the balls to own up to it. I really, really hope its fixed for the TPB. I have an amazing amount of respect for Chris Ryall
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391469)
Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi on October 9th, 2007 @ 2:54pm CDT
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391570)
Posted by Counterpunch on October 9th, 2007 @ 3:47pm CDT
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:What else is he going to??? the mea culpa is nice, but this 'falling through the cracks' is the main reason I don't buy IDW comics anymore.

You have some other reason to give them grief?

Except for this small delay for these current books, IDW has been pretty good and damn loyal to the fan base so far.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391718)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on October 9th, 2007 @ 5:13pm CDT
I like his attitude towards QC.
Re: Chris Ryall Responds To Beast Wars Profiles Criticisms (391762)
Posted by i_amtrunks on October 9th, 2007 @ 5:40pm CDT
It's great to see that there are still people high up who will admit that they stuffed up, and not try to pass the blame.

In fact I think Ryall is pulling too much blame onto himself, much of the blame has to be given to the writers.

But full marks to Ryall for being a stand out bloke.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
"They Might Be Giants"
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series 26 WWII World War 2" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RISE OF THE DECEPTICONS # 24 OCT 2020 NEW COVER A" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Autobot TAILGATE and GROUNDBUSTER" on EBAY
Buy "1985 SCRAPPER G1 TAKARA TRANSFORMERS CONSTRUCTICON (DEVASTATOR) HASBRO DECPTICON" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Western Star 5700XE Jada" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Action figures - Brand new sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Battle Masters Siege War CALIBURST Takara Tomy B" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Thunderhowl Figure 2021 MOC Hasbro" on EBAY