Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation

Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation

Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 6:59am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Kurona   Views: 31,481

Following on from the discovery of Masterpiece Sunstreaker yesterday, fellow Seibertronian Cyberpath has found and given us some clearer scans of the magazine images to better show off Takara's MP-39 in all his majestic glory. Not only that, but thanks to bumblebee21, we have a translation of the interview - clarifying, among other things; that Beast Wars MPs are still coming; the designers want to focus on completing a cast of Season 1 Autobot Cars; and that the fake chest is partly made up of the roof. Check out the translation and the pictures of long-awaited yellow Lamborghini brother to Sideswipe below and tell us what you think on the boards!

Transformers News: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation

Transformers News: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation

Transformers News: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation

Bumblebee21 wrote:Designer team Translation:

-How did you master the essence of Sunstreaker into a Masterpiece?

"In regards to development, I also have a desire to arrange all of the initial cast members of the real car series. In taking turns to select which robot gets developed next, Sunstreaker was chosen.
The Diaclone was the first Transformer car robot.
The New Series was started by Lambor which was like a counter revenge.
With the development of this Masterpiece, Lamborghini was very vocal in the lead for alt mode design cues, which is the opposite way to tackle a design such as Sunstreaker, however, we have a relationship where were able to add alt mode styling, gimmicks, and a cartoon likeness.
_
Originally Sunstreakers car details were different to real life.
The popularity of MP 12 Lambor was a success amongst not only Transformers fans but also car enthusiasts. We decided we could not completely ignore the desires and wishes of the car enthusiasts.
I wanted to present Sunstreaker as a product that Countach fans would recognize while taking advantage of his animation styling.
I tried to reproduce both the animation & real car alt mode design in a way were the transformation is incorporated instead of making him partsform.
Its a situation providing the best of both worlds, we even made the doors open.

Basic layout for the transformation is close to the G1 figure, The bonnet was divided further to combat having such a wide toe in robot mode.
I wanted to avoid having the emblem split in the middle.

In the animated cartoon there were unexpected challenges with volumes that arose from the backparts because they differed from the actual toy.
The most difficult part of the design was the robot mode chest, this is the place where the alt mode roof moves however is unable to be correctly proportionate.

There are many people who hate the use of dummy parts so I thought about what would be the best way to convince them otherwise. What we chose to do was to turn the alt mode roof inside out and have the small windows fold out from underneath to form the smaller chest piece.
Because the alt mode windscreen is so large it is hard to create otherwise.
For the shoulder we have a drawer joint. It is designed to swing back and forth. We designed this in the consideration of having the entire arm raise so you can create poses for holding the gun head on.
We are changing the direction of Masterpiece to make them better articulated. Until now we had mainly prioritised the forms before and after transformation. From now on articulation is being considered from the beggining.
In addition to this durability and resistance is being considered by using soft materials in areas of rub.
Masterpieces should have a high degree of paint applications now to enhance texture.
I can design figures with parts allocation and material arrangment with the paint automatically considered.
This is amazing as I've been able to articulate Sunstreakers ankles in such a way where he can balance on one foot. This will not be limited to Sunstreaker, I plan to design more Masterpieces to posses this ability.

Please tell us as much as you can on the Future of Masterpiece?

This part is hard to translate

Beast Wars & G1 are being released alternately since both parties are in different purchasing demographics seperated by age and so on. The release pattern has been thanks to you. We have managed to capture the age that was playing at the time of the show being broadcast and would like to keep the fever of waiting away by releasing more Beast Wars.
I want to distinguish between the 4x4 designs of Hoist and Trailbreaker in the meantime for the G1 fans, which will be troublesome.
I think Megatron and now Sunstreaker really surprised the fans & designers even!
I hope that Hoist can be realised with a few of these surprises. A lot of the Masterpiece cars have come together.
We arranged the successive Masterpieces side by side the other day at a festival and they were very popular.

I would like to arrange the car robots in rows like the opening sequence of the animiation.
I want to produce the remaining characters including the minibots.
There are many similar opinons as mine, so I'm speaking on their behalf as we take different directions to clear the obstacles in commercialising these products.
END/

translation courtesy of @Emperor Bruticus IV

This article was last modified on Sunday, May 5th, 2019 5:59pm CDT

Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883540)
Posted by Alpha Dominus on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:08am CDT
This is a must-buy. Here's to holding out for Jazz!
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883543)
Posted by Evil Eye on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:12am CDT
He looks pretty good, but I worry that next to his less ridiculously cartoon accurate brother Sideswipe he'll look slightly off. Also, the buttflap is a bit of a shame (though I hear that's a sacrifice that had to be made to get Lamborghini to not get their panties in a bunch).
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883545)
Posted by Desslok2201 on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:37am CDT
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883546)
Posted by Ironhidensh on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:37am CDT
It's hard to tell for sure, but I believe the backpack on 39 is neater and tighter than Sunsurge.

On another note, it appears I've finally made my peace with backpacks.
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883547)
Posted by Bumblebee21 on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:40am CDT
translation

Designer team Translation:

-How did you master the essence of Sunstreaker into a Masterpiece?

The Diaclone was the first Transformer car robot.
The New Series was started by Lambor which was like a counter revenge.
_
Originally Sunstreakers car details were different to real life.
Its a situation providing the best of both worlds, we even made the doors open.

I wanted to avoid having the emblem split in the middle.

Because the alt mode windscreen is so large it is hard to create otherwise.

Please tell us as much as you can on the Future of Masterpiece?

This part is hard to translate

I think Megatron and now Sunstreaker really suprised the fans & designers even!
I hope that Hoist can be realised with a few of these suprises. Alot of the masterpiece cars have come together.

I want to produce the remaining characters including the minibots.
END/

translation courtesy of @Emperor Bruticus IV
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883548)
Posted by galvatron00 on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:42am CDT
Ha! I was just going to post that with the link back to the thread.

Like this.
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883549)
Posted by Bumblebee21 on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:43am CDT
itscramtastic wrote:Ha! I was just going to post that with the link back to the thread.

Like this.

i saw it in a different thread
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883550)
Posted by Cyberpath on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:22am CDT
At the moment, my only issue with this figure is that I don't have space on my shelf..

Here's the turnaround model --

Ironhidensh wrote:Yeah, that makes more sense. Although, given takaras recent track record, I do believe that they will have alternate head options with this figure.

Hard to believe there are more accessories than what's shown in the magazine..

Desslok2201 wrote:Sunstreaker was the 1st transformer I bought back in '84, and he's finally going to be replaced on the shelf, (hold on, I need a moment...) The head thing aside, I really like the hideaway pistol in the leg, and happy that he has a gun at all, as I was never a fan of the missile replacing the fist mechanic of the original. Can anyone translate the caption for the picture that shows a silver Sideswipe gun on his back to see what's going on there?

It's actually a new mold and not MP-12 Sideswipe's gun (notice the different vents detail.) I think it just shows that you can store it on his back.

Sunstreaker is one of those characters that didn't have a gun in their character-model (or toy) so he used different guns in the show.
This one was used in Dinobot Island part 2 & Changing Gears.

He also showed the ability to shoot missiles like the toy; and electricity..

Takara included one of his car-guns btw --

Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883551)
Posted by Cyberpath on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:27am CDT
Here's another thing you can do with MP-39 Chip Chase.. >_>

Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883552)
Posted by Bumblebee21 on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:30am CDT
too bad we dont have a good mp thrust to do that with
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883553)
Posted by Ironhidensh on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:31am CDT
So. Sounds like Hoist may be up next, as far as the G1 line goes. I love my bascube Trailbreaker and Hoist, but if Takes can do better.....

Ah he'll, who am I kidding. Even if I don't display them, I'll still.pick them up, as I'm starting to work on a complete Masterpiece collection.
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883555)
Posted by galvatron00 on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:34am CDT
This figure keeps getting better and better. I'm also excited to read in that translation that Trailbreaker, the rest of the car bots, and the minibots are in the works!

Anyone else here want to verify the translation?
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883557)
Posted by transformers_va on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:36am CDT
The pop-up headlights are a very nice touch - looking forward to having this guy on display.
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883558)
Posted by william-james88 on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:38am CDT
Hellscream9999 wrote:I actually really like the cw version, foremost for the head (actually all the figures in wave 4 had crisp, gorgeous headsculpts, come to think about it)

I dont feel Ironhide did.
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883560)
Posted by Deathsanras on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:41am CDT
Looks better than Sunsurge and Spinout in every way.
I had hoped they'd figure out something for the chest, but if TakaraTomy can't figure out how to do it, I guess it can't be done. Turning the roof inside out is a nice touch/way to do it, instead of wholesale new parts.
Lesson learned: never bother with 3P. TakaraTomy does it better every time. Shockwave, Megatron, Coneheads, Ratchet/Ironhide, Grapple/Inferno, Ultra Magnus, Bumblebee...
Looking forward to the red and police versions, especially how they're integrated into the G1 roster (per LoudPedal, Delta Magnus, Exhaust).
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883561)
Posted by Kurona on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:43am CDT
Bumblebee21 wrote:snip snip translation snip snip

Article edited to include the interview, thank you ;)^

I'm excited to hear that they're still doing Beast Wars MPs and that they're alternating between those and G1. Also interesting to hear that while due to proportions they couldn't actually make the roof the chest, they done the next best thing and integrated some of the roof into the chest.
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883562)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:54am CDT
Damn Mp sunstreaker is on of the prettiest masterpieces in awhile. Though i really want to see how it looks in red.
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883563)
Posted by william-james88 on May 23rd, 2017 @ 9:12am CDT
Takara wrote:There are situations where a part needs to transform 3 times in a certain direction, the parts count as a result is overwealming compared to were we started off with Lambor and the others.

Deathsanras wrote:Looks better than Sunsurge and Spinout in every way.
I had hoped they'd figure out something for the chest, but if TakaraTomy can't figure out how to do it, it can't be done.

As the interview says, the chest still being made up of the roof, only inside out and I find that is very comforting. So only the windshield would be fake, which I am ok with. Kinda like how MP 10's grill is fake which is fine since they look so diferent in both modes.
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883564)
Posted by wilcosu35 on May 23rd, 2017 @ 9:14am CDT
And another instant buy for me
Re: Clearer scans of MP-39 Sunstreaker & Interview Translation (1883569)
Posted by Cyberpath on May 23rd, 2017 @ 9:41am CDT
william-james88 wrote:I am not a fan of this part. I really like Lambor and Wheeljack because the transformation was complex but clean and while he had many moving parts, there was still a chunky feeling to it, especially in the upper torso. It gives him a real solid took too, same with Wheeljack. I would take that over having to fold a panel in 3 different ways to improve articulation. There are som parts of sunstreaker that end up looking like a mess here (the back pack, and the inner legs). there is a definite sacrifice being made here, and it seems to be for articulation's sake, which I dont really care for. I never felt MP Wheeljack or Lambor lacked in articulation.

Always felt like Sideswipe could have used forward ankle-tilts and back head-tilt.

And now that we have official Takara stands, a port.

It's amazing how they were able to create a very poseable cartoon-accurate robot-mode for Sunstreaker and at the same time pull-off an accurate Lamborghini mode with doors, hood and headlights. All in one toy. Transformers are awesome.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Tra Rid Warrior Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Kre-O 30662 Ratchet new sealed hasbro unopened 187 pieces" on EBAY
Buy "KRE-O TRANSFORMERS LOT IRONHIDE & MEGATRON KREON BATTLE CHANGER SEALED" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise Autobot Ratchet Deluxe Action Figure " on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS SALVAGE, Griffin Rock Construction Team Flip Racer 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Battle In Moon Light Cyberverse Optimus Prime Trailer Part" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Bulkhead Takara Tomy MISB MINT" on EBAY