CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life"

CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life"

Monday, March 9th, 2009 1:47pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Company News
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 10,877

cnn.com- The recession is hitting everyone hard. Choices need to be made in families, and companies alike.

With the idea of competing for people's dollars becoming even more important, toy companies are returning to reliable, known brands...in other words its what all Transformers fans already know...nostalgia sells.

This short video is about the effects of the recession on the toy industry and what toy companies are doing to still compete for your dollars. Featured in it are brand names such as GI JOE, Barbie, and Transformers.

You can view the video here, and discuss how the recession and economy may (or may not) be effecting your spending habits.

Credit(s): CNN.com

Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (895844)
Posted by GuyIncognito on March 9th, 2009 @ 1:58pm CDT
Cool video. I liked seeing my old Fisher-Price garage and barn there.

Toys are like comfort food. If anything, hearing bad news about the economy every day makes me want to go out and buy MORE Transformers. I've still got my job, so there's no reason to cut back.
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (895845)
Posted by bagofshhh on March 9th, 2009 @ 2:01pm CDT
That's pretty funny, because the Universe 2.0 and Animated lines were full of characters that bring up feelings of nostalgia. Too bad they are being scaled back and/or suspended (at least for a while).
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (895847)
Posted by Cheetron on March 9th, 2009 @ 2:16pm CDT

Sorry, but my old toys are gone.
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (895849)
Posted by harvester on March 9th, 2009 @ 2:24pm CDT
Cheetron wrote: Now I'm researching on defects, percentage of loose ones to good ones, how bad the paint is. It just destroys the fun for me.

Sorry, but my old toys are gone.

That's why you gotta only go for the Binaltech [possibly some alternators] and the new Alternity figures. Even Masterpiece. These are more like our childhood figures but not just having the style upgraded, the complexity as well. So these are the perfect upgrade for those feelings. I agree what you say about a lot of the Universe ones though.
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (895867)
Posted by partholon on March 9th, 2009 @ 3:05pm CDT
LORD ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I had that fisher price garage ! me da got it for me when i burned my knee off a motor bike exaust that my eldest brother was thinking of buying.

i always liked the yellow one myself with the red cap, as he always seemed pissed off ! :)

its not surprising to see companies fall back on their old sucesses. even in other sectors when a recession hits you got back to the model you had when you last were in a recession. usually that means cutting back on managment, HR , and advertising. this is just an extension of that.

after all, why invest in NEW products from scratch when you know what already worked once and can quickly get up and running with a few tweaks.
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (895868)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 9th, 2009 @ 3:06pm CDT
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (895872)
Posted by TankedThomas on March 9th, 2009 @ 3:16pm CDT
For some reason, although the link looks right on Seibertron compared to the actual video page itself, Seibertron's link is sending me to some middle eastern video. I had to manually search for the Old Toys Get New Life video....
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (895924)
Posted by Tripredacus agent on March 9th, 2009 @ 4:51pm CDT
Cheetron wrote:transformers were always my version of a comfort blankie. I loved the idea of getting older characters in new forms, made me feel like a kid again. But.... Higher prices on said toys that are so cheaply made and designed ruin it for me. I'm buying less thanks to it. I would love to be able to walk into a store and pick up Wreck-gar, one of my favs from so long ago. Now I'm researching on defects, percentage of loose ones to good ones, how bad the paint is. It just destroys the fun for me.

Sorry, but my old toys are gone.

So say we all... :APPLAUSE:
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (895934)
Posted by JesWal on March 9th, 2009 @ 5:11pm CDT
Nostalgia sells...

...but apparently major motion pictures sell more!

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy the movies, and I think some cool things were done with the toys, but in the end I'd rather have more Universe and Animated. Way cooler than more Movie-formers. But I guess the little kids are gonna go see the movie, see the toys (So cleverly packed in Robot Mode so they are more recognizable as specific characters!) and get mommy and daddy to buy the whole set before Christmas. :P

As we figured out long ago, Hasbro exists to make money, so I know it's nothing against the fans.
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (896013)
Posted by Metroplex79 on March 9th, 2009 @ 7:46pm CDT
Awwww...the Fisher Price Garage I remember that...I used to pretend it was a Autobot base at school...this was before 1986 of course.

If someone here was crazy enough...he/she could customize it to be the ultimate Micromaster headquarters!!! Even better than Countdown and Skystalker combined!!! :lol:

I also liked how they played a clip of the original TF commercial, too bad Joe fans!!! :P

In regards to this newsclip,I knew this would happen 14 years ago :-B
Re: CNN Video- "Old Toys Get New Life" (896089)
Posted by typh0id on March 9th, 2009 @ 10:21pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:I'm surprised they showed the G1 gun Megatron toy in that commercial bit, since the toy is no longer legal to be bougth and sold in the U.S. nowadays.

Hehe yeah I caught that too :P

And I think it's funny they kept showing Anniversary Prime because most people (myself included) thought that particular release of the figure was ass...and retardedly overpriced...Nostalgia may sell, but every store in town has about 30 of those Primes they can't seem to get rid of...

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Retro Reissue G1 Headmasters Highbrow (F1024)" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro F1027 Transformers Generations Retro Headmaster Skullcruncher Collectible" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Super7 GOLD ARMOR BUMBLEBEE ReAction Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Windcharger 100% Complete Legends Generations - Power of the Primes Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Attacktix Battle Figure Game Transformers Star Wars Optimus Prime Darth Vader" on EBAY
Buy "Super 7 Transformers Reaction 2020 Target Exclusive Gold Armor Bumblebee Figure" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS: WRECK-GAR....COMPLETE!!" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class GRAX & Skullsmasher Headmaster" on EBAY