Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon

Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon

Monday, April 10th, 2017 10:27am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 37,786

The forums have been busy since the reveal of Takara's take on Titans Return Hot Rod and Kup since they were not as expected and differ from Hasbro's in more ways than we would have guessed. So that we can see how each version compares to the G1 toys and cartoon models, the two aspects that are often homaged, fellow Seibertronian Cyberpath has taken the time to give us three charts showing the Takara and Hasbro versions of these latest Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon figures and comparing them to the source material. This gives us an idea of what is done right and what is done... less right. Let us know what you think and which versions you preffer!

Transformers News: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon

Credit(s): Cyberpath

Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873389)
Posted by DMSL on April 10th, 2017 @ 10:46am CDT
Autobot Roadburn wrote:
DMSL wrote:I am glad i bought the Hasbro versions.

The Targetmasters are cool, but both Hot Rod and Kup don't look like their G1 versions at all. Kup is the wrong colour and the face looks off. Hot Rod is a mess, big gap under the windshield where the engine is, no silver paint on the hubcaps or exhausts and that chest flame looks terrible. Is that a sticker? Jeez.

I was expecting so much more from Takara, hopefully the final products will be better.

Wait, but Hot Rod does have silver paint on his hubcaps and exhaust pipes. I understand and agree with your other points, but the paint is definitely there.

It looks like grey to me, but i could be wrong.

I am hoping the hood/chest will be more "traditional" at least.

:shock:
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873409)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on April 10th, 2017 @ 12:47pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:yeah I was referring more to Hot Rod for the paint not fitting the mold. Your orange line on the spoiler is also a good example of that. Its supposed to represent an elevated piece that is just not part of the mold, so it ends up looking off. As for Kup and Sharkticon, as you say, the paint is still wrong. Which is odd. Sharkticon reminds me of the united toys which were sparkly for the hell of it. And the paint is wrong right? Like the arms shouldnt be grey and the tail has the wrong colour.

As I said, the Hasbro homage to the toy colours is more realized than the Takara homage to the show colours.

Actually, I think you're giving too much credit to Hasbro and their "toy authenticity" approach. With Sharkticon, for example, there are just as many errors with Hasbro's paint layout and detailing compared to the original G1 toy as there are with Takara's version of the new figure with the G1 screen representation. You can tell what each one is going for, but neither do so perfectly. They're both off in different ways. I don't care either, because I already have five Hasbro Sharkticons and have preordered three of the Takara ones, in part for the extra Sweep Headmasters, but also to have a big Sharkticon horde with just a bit of diversity among themselves.

Takara's Hot Rod looks fantastic. The color of maroon used is almost spot on for the MP figure and Hot Rod's season 3 (not movie) appearances. The only thing that really bugs me at all is that the hands are orange instead of gray. Hasbro's Hot Rod is a nice toy homage, but still misses a few details, like not hiding the engine block in robot mode and neglecting some of the sticker details. Still, it looks great. I don't get the "using cartoon colors on a mold that it's not meant for" argument either. I can say the same about using the toy colors on a mold that doesn't match the original toy either.

The only thing that we can agree on, I think, is that Kup is a disaster. Takara F'ed that up utterly. All the retooling and paint detailing can't hide the fact that he's entirely the wrong color.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873411)
Posted by Kurona on April 10th, 2017 @ 12:54pm CDT
Kup's not a disaster, just... it's the wrong trousers, grommit.

I wonder if this happened with other characters if it'd be interesting. Like if they gave us a green Blurr because he kind of looks that colour in one episode of Season 3 if you de-saturate your screen and squint your eyes.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873414)
Posted by Evil Eye on April 10th, 2017 @ 1:01pm CDT

Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873415)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on April 10th, 2017 @ 1:07pm CDT
Black Hat wrote:I must be the only one that actually really likes Takara Kup. The retooling really helps, but I actually adore that grey colour scheme. Is it accurate? No, not at all. But by Primus it looks so classy. Very 70s IMO, but in a good way. I will agree that for anyone wanting an accurate toy, he's not so great, but for those wanting a toy that just looks good in its own right, he's superb. But then I'm very fond of unusual, out-of-left-field colour schemes and I wouldn't mind seeing it in something completely whacky like Sinclair C5 colours:

Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873421)
Posted by Flashwave on April 10th, 2017 @ 1:42pm CDT
Fine. Ya'll win.

i've been passing on Hot Rod for a while now, but I like that deco and the TRgetmaster is a wonderful touch. Pre ordered.

There aint nothing that can save that Kup mold for me.

I WILL probably pass on a Triggerhappy as I already have a Hasbro, but I hope they do more Targetmasters.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873424)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on April 10th, 2017 @ 1:50pm CDT
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:I also really love Takara Kup. I think he looks great and I love the new arms and head sculpt. I wasn't going to get him until I saw pictures. I'll still get TR Kup when I see him, but he'll be the one I mess around with all the time. Takara Kup will be the pretty one that stays on the shelf.

For me, it will be the Autobot Warriors 3-Pack version of Generations Sergeant Kup that will be the pretty one on my "Classics" shelf. He's still a great representation of Kup, even if he has (screen inaccurate) gray shins. The chest, IMO, looks a lot better. The Titans Return/Takara Legends version just has an odd chest that doesn't seem to match the G1 toy or the cartoon model. It's the front end truck kibble showing through the transparent plastic that's the big problem, IMO.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873425)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on April 10th, 2017 @ 1:52pm CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:

I still do think the Generations version looks better than the new mold. Especially with the iGear head. I have that on my United Kup. I just love the whole Titans Return line so much, and Kup(second favorite character) that I want to get the new ones too.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873427)
Posted by Overcracker on April 10th, 2017 @ 2:03pm CDT
I think Kup looks great, in that color scheme.

I've never been all that into: (((Supreme Cartoon Accuracy))) echo echo echo...

And if I were in any way shape or form attached to Kup as a character I'd probably pre-order him.

Hot Rodimus on the other hand, I need better pictures before I decide. Otherwise I'll settle for the HB one. But I'll probably still get him though.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873431)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on April 10th, 2017 @ 2:16pm CDT
Wow, that Takara Kup looks awesome.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873441)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on April 10th, 2017 @ 2:49pm CDT
Overcracker wrote:I think Kup looks great, in that color scheme.

I've never been all that into: (((Supreme Cartoon Accuracy))) echo echo echo...

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873446)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on April 10th, 2017 @ 3:10pm CDT
MagicDeath wrote:
Overcracker wrote:I think Kup looks great, in that color scheme.

I've never been all that into: (((Supreme Cartoon Accuracy))) echo echo echo...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

With grayscale Kup, though, it's not just a matter or cartoon accuracy. It's also problematic for G1 toy accuracy. In fact, this is a matter of outright CHARACTER accuracy. Kup isn't gray, period. He's never before been gray. He's some shade of teal, sometimes more greenish, sometimes more bluish, but NOT gray.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873452)
Posted by RiddlerJ on April 10th, 2017 @ 3:20pm CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:
MagicDeath wrote:
Overcracker wrote:I think Kup looks great, in that color scheme.

I've never been all that into: (((Supreme Cartoon Accuracy))) echo echo echo...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Needs some Just for Men.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873455)
Posted by Autobot N on April 10th, 2017 @ 3:26pm CDT
Kurona wrote:it's the wrong trousers, grommit.
I understood that reference.JPG
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873467)
Posted by Deadput on April 10th, 2017 @ 3:34pm CDT
Autobot N wrote:
Kurona wrote:it's the wrong trousers, grommit.
I understood that reference.JPG

I remember Wallace and Gromit too.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873522)
Posted by Emerje on April 10th, 2017 @ 7:16pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Wolfman Jake wrote:I had an interesting thought. What if these new Firebolt and Recoil molds Takara has made aren't really "new" at all, that is, they haven't been designed solely by Takara just for this purpose. They may, in fact, be an early release of a couple of molds that will eventually be sold in Hasbro's "Power of the Primes" line, replacing the Titanmasters with Transforming vehicles/beasts/weapons price point of $5? The size/mass looks about equivalent to a Titans Return Titanmaster plus accessory. I'm pretty sure that "Targetmasters" were recently named as the successors to the Titanmasters by Hasbro at as well. Expect Hasbro to release these later, possibly using different names with different decos, under the "Power of the Primes" imprint next year.

And that's a very good point.

I'm positive this is entirely Takara Tomy working on their own. Hasbro has released/announced all but three of the original Targetmasters in Titans Return with those remaining three expected to be announced for TR soon. Why would they do that and then do real Targetmasters in Power of the Primes? That doesn't make sense. Especially when all this time Hasbro has been telling us that Titan Masters do triple duty as Headmasters, Powermasters, and Targetmasters. Suddenly going with full on Targetmasters would really negate the whole point of having Titan Masters combine with their vehicles to form guns.

To me this sounds like Takara Tomy trying to be extra faithful to the characters' origins since it would be hard to explain how all of these guys lost their Targetmaster partners when coming to the Legends world.

I did some checking on the Targetmasters' detailing:

"Recoil" kinda resembles Peacemaker, partner of Pointblank:

Transformers G1 1987 Peacemaker Gallery

Can't really place "Firebolt" though, though he has elements of Fracas and Caliburst. :-? Maybe it's just me...

Probably not a coincidence, to me it means they plan on releasing a Pointblank figure and giving him his proper Targetmaster partner. To me those guys look like their parts might be interchangeable which may be why you're seeing elements of different Targetmasters in Firebolt.

Emerje
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873524)
Posted by Cobotron on April 10th, 2017 @ 7:26pm CDT
Emerje wrote:BTW, anyone else notice that Recoil is partially unpainted clear plastic? Odd choice.

Emerje
Yeah, I think it's just the parts that make the gun barrels. Which kind of makes sense in a laser gunny kind of way.

They have been doing a lot of painted clear plastic parts lately. Even in places where it doesn't seem necessary. A bunch of UW figures had it, and some of the past Legends figures.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873531)
Posted by ScottyP on April 10th, 2017 @ 7:49pm CDT
Overcracker wrote:I've never been all that into: (((Supreme Cartoon Accuracy))) echo echo echo...
I feel like that needs custom markup.

Like this! But with some other image. Hmm.

Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873540)
Posted by Overcracker on April 10th, 2017 @ 8:27pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:
I feel like that needs custom markup.

Like this! But with some other image. Hmm.

Haha, yeah I think it does. Image

I've been thinking about this, and I think the best cartoon accurate Kup, is going to be a mix of Habsro and TT.

Take the legs arms and head from TT, and plug them on to Hasbro's torso, and you get a 90% G1 toy accurate Kup.

A few reprolabels and he should be almost 100% accurate.
Re: Comparison Charts for Takara Legends Kup, Hot Rod and Sharkticon (1873555)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on April 10th, 2017 @ 9:09pm CDT
Is it just me, or does Kup look a little like Cerebros from a distance?

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 Original Transformer Autobots “Trailbreaker" - 1984 - Black 4wd" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War For Cybertron Earthrise Paradron Medic Lifeline - No Gun" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO Transformers Mini-Con  Slipstream." on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Earthrise Kingdom Lot Of 10 New Hoist Trailbreaker Inferno Scourge" on EBAY