Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead

Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 4:43am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 31,552

Fellow Seibertronian chuckdawg1999 has sent our way a video review showing off the differences and similarities in the Titans Return and Legends Headmaster Hardhead (which includes the little tank found with Terri-bull, too) figures, from Hasbro and Takara Tomy respectively! Check out the clip embedded below, compare our own gallery of the Hasbro release here, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub.

Hardhead was one of the original Headmasters introduced during the Rebirth miniseries. I've always felt a closer connection to the US fiction than the Takara version, where the smaller robots were the characters who combined with transforming vehicles. Takara as usual has enhanced the experience with a cartoon accurate deco and face, while including a repainted Titan Master vehicle to round out the pack. The Legends set is the better value but may be harder to find at this point.

Credit(s): chuckdawg1999

Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811614)
Posted by Randomhero on August 3rd, 2016 @ 6:48am CDT
Hey both look very nice. I'm happy with hasbros but I've become so hooked on the legend comics I really want both, stuff is just getting good too pricey now though
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811616)
Posted by Insurgent on August 3rd, 2016 @ 6:52am CDT
I said this at teh weekend when I saw the hasbro one in person. It looks like he's wearing shorts.

I do much prefer the takara one. Not just for the head, though that was the draw. So glad managed to snag him for 20 quid.
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811630)
Posted by Cyberpath on August 3rd, 2016 @ 7:37am CDT

早く帰りたくとも帰れない時もあれば、早く帰れるはずなのに帰れない時もある。夏季休暇まで残すところ一週間、正念場です! 画像はワンフェスで展示したグレースーパージンライ! 手首の回転ありますよ♪

Translated from Japanese by Bing

If at home and want to go home early, early sometimes but would return home.
Left for summer vacation until 1 week, the moment of truth is! The image displayed at wonfes grace pasinli! Rotation of the wrist you'll ♪
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811668)
Posted by Kurona on August 3rd, 2016 @ 9:37am CDT

Translated from Japanese by Bing

If at home and want to go home early, early sometimes but would return home.
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811670)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on August 3rd, 2016 @ 9:40am CDT
Kurona wrote:Courtesy of fellow Seibertronian Cyberpath, we now have an in-hand prototype shot of TakaraTomy's LG35 Ginrai from TFYuki's Twitter - an extensive retool of Hasbro's Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime, itself an extensive retool of Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus. TFYuki also comments in particular on Ginrai's wrist articulation, a feature missing on his Hasbro counterpart. Check out the image below and feel free to compare with our gallery of Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime!

Translated from Japanese by Bing

If at home and want to go home early, early sometimes but would return home.

I'm sorry, but anyone who says Powermaster Optimus Prime is better than Super Ginrai are just wrong. :-D
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811672)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 3rd, 2016 @ 9:44am CDT
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:

Cool, thanks for letting me know that, despite having a rational and objectively based opinion about them, that I'm still wrong >:oP
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811675)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on August 3rd, 2016 @ 9:50am CDT
Hellscream9999 wrote:
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:

Does someone just crap in your cereal every morning? Cheer up, dude! :-D
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811691)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on August 3rd, 2016 @ 10:43am CDT
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:

Translated from Japanese by Bing

If at home and want to go home early, early sometimes but would return home.

I think President Bartlett said it best:

Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811695)
Posted by Agamemnon on August 3rd, 2016 @ 10:46am CDT

I'm really hoping the feet look better in person...
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811734)
Posted by fenrir72 on August 3rd, 2016 @ 12:38pm CDT
Just picked up Glavatron,Hardohead and Skull. So small the last two. Great looking in person but kind of small when compared to my originals. All I have to wait for next is an eventual Scorponok/Megazarak remake/re-issue.
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811736)
Posted by galvatron00 on August 3rd, 2016 @ 12:43pm CDT
Agamemnon wrote:I like a lot about Ginrai, but my eyes keep getting drawn down to those "feet." And something about them, maybe the way the trailer wheels hang off of the ankle, I don't know, but it kinda ruins the fig for me. I will probably still get him, but he may stay in semi mode in my display....

I'm really hoping the feet look better in person...
I think that is the most off putting about the feet, that the trailer separates from them. I know that can't really be fixed, but that is the only issue I have. I still think he's better than my Titans Return Powermaster Optimus Prime in every way though :lol: :lol: :HEADHURTS:
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811743)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on August 3rd, 2016 @ 12:57pm CDT

As for Hardhead I prefer the Hasbro one. For me, Hardhead just looks better with a mouthplate like my old G1 toy. That's my preference.
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811772)
Posted by SureShot18 on August 3rd, 2016 @ 2:31pm CDT
I really wish he had the same type of big blocky feet that Titans Return Powermaster Prime has. He'd be a lot better then. Although not good enough for me to spend almost $100.
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811782)
Posted by Emerje on August 3rd, 2016 @ 3:23pm CDT
I wonder if the feet were necessary for their version of God Bomber? I can understand wanting to make them look like the original, but I'm sure they could have made them more solid if they didn't have a dual purpose.

My only other hookup is the hand guns. While they're an improvement over the Hasbro guns I don't understand the shape. To me the should be massive canons, not skinny little laser rifles. And what's with the blue? I'm trying to find a still from the cartoon to see how they look there, but I can't find one to compare.

Emerje
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811793)
Posted by Railbomb on August 3rd, 2016 @ 4:21pm CDT
Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811795)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 3rd, 2016 @ 4:23pm CDT
Railbomb wrote:The most important question I have about Super Ginrai is are the eyes going to be red or blue.
Blue.

Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811796)
Posted by Overcracker on August 3rd, 2016 @ 4:27pm CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:Yeah the 'feet' look really terrible. The chest area looks improved though. New cab?

Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811797)
Posted by Railbomb on August 3rd, 2016 @ 4:29pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Blue.

Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811802)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 3rd, 2016 @ 4:40pm CDT
Railbomb wrote:That's a shame. I would have prefered red to match the OG toy but it seems neither Hasbro or Takara wanted to do that. Maybe they'll end up releasing a titan master that can work as red-eyed PM Optimus under the mask.
On both sides of the Pacific, however, PM Optimus and Super Ginrai each had blue eyes in their respective television series.

Re: Comparison - Takara Tomy Transformers Legends vs Titans Return Hardhead (1811806)
Posted by Kurona on August 3rd, 2016 @ 4:43pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Woah, Tommy went through a real makeover when he went to Japan.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers RBT Optimus Prime Race Track Trailer Playset" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 ALPHA TRION Super 7 ReAction Action Figure Vintage MOC - NEW!!!" on EBAY
Buy "IDW TRANSFORMERS : ALL HAIL MEGATRON #16 LONG BEACH COMIC CON COVER : NM : RARE!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Trilogy Deluxe Cenurion Drone WFC-E33 NIOB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: The Quest for the Allspark by Auerbach, Annie" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Box: GameStop Exclusive Transformers vs GI Joe - #46 Duke & #45 Megatron" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Box: GameStop Exclusive Transformers vs GI Joe - Prime & Cobra Commander" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects WFC-GS01 Voyager G2 Combat Megatron NEW Read" on EBAY