Monday, May 2nd, 2016 6:14pm CDT

Category: Site Articles
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 55,075

Fellow Seibertronian Logan79 has been doing a bunch of comparisons between toys and how those characters looked in the G1 cartoon. This gives a sense of the evolution of the the character designs and what elements are still present. Today, he compiled a comparison between every component of Combiner Wars Computron and Unite Warriors Computron with their look in the G1 show and their comic design. This seemed like fun information and comparisons to share seeing as how there has never been a time where we have seen such a difference between releases of the same character by the two sister companies at the same time. Just to note, while the stock photos were used, the Hasbro Afterburner actually shares the same headsculpt as Takara's and this was seen on the Botcon show floor.

Transformers News: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic

Credit(s): logan79

Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786289)
Posted by JazZeke on May 2nd, 2016 @ 6:39pm CDT
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786290)
Posted by Dagon on May 2nd, 2016 @ 6:40pm CDT
Every picture I see makes me realize that preordering Unite Warriors was the best option for Computron. Looks fantastic.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786296)
Posted by carytheone on May 2nd, 2016 @ 7:02pm CDT
Each figure has its own strengths and weaknesses as does Computron. The more I see of this set the more I want one of them.

I'd love to get my hands on both and do some swapping around.

Great pics, thanks for sharing Logan ;)^
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786297)
Posted by MGrotusque on May 2nd, 2016 @ 7:06pm CDT
Nosecone looks better to me as a limb on the Hasbro version. It's a very hard decision for me. I like the hands and feet on CW Computron quite a bit. Takara needs to use the new hands and feet and i'd be 100% sold.

Ultimately i fear that i may have to get both. #-o

Or i can cherry pick the individual bots like UW lightspeed and Strafe but of course there is of course the issues of head sculpts aswell. UW wins in that department too.

Ugh.....Like i said, the decision is too hard for me.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786308)
Posted by Optifish Prime on May 2nd, 2016 @ 8:01pm CDT
These colors look great.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786369)
Posted by Noideaforaname on May 2nd, 2016 @ 9:48pm CDT
It's so strange how they each went such different paths with Strafe and Nosecone. Usually the difference between Hasbro and Takara is how fancy the paint job got.

I rather like CW Nosecone and Afterburner, the lack of red/white helps them stand out amongst other Autobots.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786375)
Posted by Randomhero on May 2nd, 2016 @ 9:59pm CDT
Both look really great. It's a win for buying either. I think Takaras colors are better on Computron but hasbros uses better individual bots. hasbro lightspeed is much more attractive but Takaras colors pop a little more even if it's all just one colors. Strafe looks good for both, can't speak for the blast off mold but it looks nice as does Hasbros however the wings on the hasbros strafe will get in the way as an arm. Nosecone is kind of a mix bag all around. The hasbro one looks like something(and yes I'm away the original was just a thing with treads and a drill) but the waist on his bot mode will probably fluctuate like brawl did.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786386)
Posted by Quincy1980 on May 2nd, 2016 @ 10:14pm CDT
Such a cool collection of images! Thanks for putting this together...

At first I was digging the Unite Warriors for the heftier Nosecone... But the Heftier feet and hands with the Combiner Wars figure ends up winning me back.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786409)
Posted by xyl360 on May 2nd, 2016 @ 11:14pm CDT
Yep, I'm still quite comfortable with my preorder of the Takara version. I'm not a fan of the clear blue plastic on Afterburner, but I can see why they went that route rather than painting it opaque white to match the original toy/show model better since an opaque windshield on a vehicle doesn't make much sense functionally and the designs differ so much (an actual motorcycle in CW/UW vs an anime/futuristic 'pod' cycle in G1) but I can always just bust out the white paint if it bothers me too much. It certainly looks better than the green that Hasbro chose to go with.

The only real pro for the Hasbro set that I can see is that Nosecone has his proper tank tread arms in bot mode, but the rest of his bot mode, the colors, the vehicle mode and his limb mode all look better IMO on Takara's. I may have to do some form of minor kitbashing to get his arms right though (perhaps I'll sacrifice the rubber treads from Legends Megatron's back kibble/tank parts which I removed from his back as part of several modifications I've made to him to make him a decent stand-in for Megs on my MP shelf since I'm not using them anyway). Hopefully I can cut them up and glue bits of them into place on UW Nosecone's arms and paint them the appropriate color without hindering his other modes. I'll have to get him in hand to find out.

Aside from that, there's only the issue of the hands and feed in combined mode, but my preorder for Perfect Effect's PC-12 Perfect Combiner Upgrade Set will take care of that handily. I like the look and color of theirs over Hasbro's anyway, at least based on all the images I've seen so far.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786413)
Posted by fenrir72 on May 3rd, 2016 @ 12:06am CDT
MGrotusque wrote:It's too hard for me to decide. Individual bots clearly goes to UW in my opinion but in combined mode i'm leaning towards CW.

Ultimately i fear that i may have to get both. #-o

Ugh.....Like i said, the decision is too hard for me.

Same here. Unless someone at ebay or elsewhere will sell them separately.

The Computron Hb fists and feet parts.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786417)
Posted by Optimizzy on May 3rd, 2016 @ 1:14am CDT
Im still glad I preordered the UW Computron. The new hands and feet are cool...but there are options. I am disappointed with the mold TT used for lightspeed but he looks a little better as far as color.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786445)
Posted by kurthy on May 3rd, 2016 @ 6:10am CDT
Blech, those animation models...
Probably getting both versions and mixing and matching. The good one will be Computron. The hot mess will be Betatron.

It would have been cool to see the G1 toys as well to show how close Hasbro stayed to those.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786458)
Posted by william-james88 on May 3rd, 2016 @ 6:56am CDT
kurthy wrote:Blech, those animation models...

So which would you pick from which set to make your perfect Computron?

Also, to those wanting pics with the toys, I had done this back when there were in their grey forms:

Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786522)
Posted by Logan. on May 3rd, 2016 @ 9:52am CDT
Thanks... thanks so much for the appreciation.^ ^
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786523)
Posted by kurthy on May 3rd, 2016 @ 9:53am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
kurthy wrote:Blech, those animation models...

So which would you pick from which set to make your perfect Computron?

I knew you had done this awhile ago, I was hoping for one with all 5: G1 toy, G1 cartoon, G1 comic, CW, and UW, just to look at which parts were influenced by what in one spot.

Honestly, I'm thinking about Strafe, Scrounge, and hands/feet from CW, possibly Lightspeed. Everything else from TT. But I want to have Blastoff in hand before I make that judgment. I don't really care if Scrounge wasn't originally a technobot, because I haven't been a G1 purist since the second season of BW.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786532)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 3rd, 2016 @ 10:16am CDT
JazZeke wrote:I fair balance of pros and cons on each side, I'd say. Lightspeed is the biggest extreme: CW has the better mold, but a shameful, downright shameful paint job. Seriously, what's with all the white?

What makes the Prowl mold better for Lightspeed in your opinion? Looking at the animation model, I'd say the Wheeljack mold is the superior choice, very clearly. The ONLY thing that The Prowl mold has going for it is the lack of the bumper "skirt." The Wheeljack mold has the right shape, proportions, the spoiler, and even some detailing that matches up well with Lightspeed's G1 self, both in alt mode AND in robot mode. Plus, it doesn't have that out of place lightbar on top either. Why did Hasbro paint that instead of leaving it white? It's just drawing more attention to it!
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786534)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 3rd, 2016 @ 10:19am CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:

The Prowl mold is just an overall better-made mold than the Wheeljack mold, despite it visually looking nothing like Lightspeed while the Wheeljack mold looks almost everything like Lightspeed.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786535)
Posted by Logan. on May 3rd, 2016 @ 10:20am CDT
Updated the FIRST POST

_________________________________________________________________________________

Seibertron G1 Toys: Comparisons (CW - UW Computron)

Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786537)
Posted by JazZeke on May 3rd, 2016 @ 10:21am CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:

UW Lightspeed certainly is shaped more like Lightspeed, but that mold sucks. The weird hips are frustrating, the arms are proportionately small. It's easily the worst of the CW car molds, I hate it so much.
Re: Comparisons Between Transformers Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Computron with Animation and Comic Designs (1786542)
Posted by jaws on May 3rd, 2016 @ 10:30am CDT
In regards to Computron--
UW Scattershot, Strafe, Nosecone, Lightspeed are the clear winners; Hasbro Afterburner because the colors are so awesome. Scrounge is not required for me. I prefer Hasbro's new hands and feet over UW standard CW HFGs. I have Perfect Effect upgrades and UW Computron pre-ordered.

So basically, I want 75% UW and 25% Hasbro with Perfect Effect upgrades to make the ultimate Computron.

I do have Betatron built using Scattershot, Alpha Bravo, Air Raid, Wheeljack, Hound; he will get some Perfect Effect upgrading also.

:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers BLAST OFF and MEGATRONUS Amazon Exclusive Combiner Wars Prime" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Titans Return Wheelie Generations Legends Rare Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Onslaught Combaticons Leader Combiner Wars In Box" on EBAY
Buy "?? Transformers Titans Return Legends COSMOS & SEASPRAY figure Lot Authentic" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return TRYPTICON Factory Sealed MISB HASBRO" on EBAY