Transformers News: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen

Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 3:03AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 7,412

Friend of Seibertron.com and artist and toy concept designer Ken Christiansen reached out to us to share his vision for the recently release Rodimus Unicronus figure from the Transformers: Power of the Primes line, Lemmy moustache and all - and we've mirrored the image below for your viewing and comparing pleasure!

Christiansen also mentioned what changes went into the redesign, and showed off a comparison with Emiliano Santalucia's design for the original 'mold' and concept of the evolving Rodimus Prime, which we've also included below. Check it out!

Rodimus Unicronus!!!

I designed the new head and chest emblem, and gave the Power of the Primes Rodimus a new color scheme.

So I'm mostly taking credit for someone else's work, I did the redesigns over the great Emiliano Santalucia's original designs for Rodimus - check out the originals here!

Credit(s): Ken Christiansen
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964807)
Posted by WreckerJack on June 13th, 2018 @ 12:25pm CDT
Survivefan23 was fortunate enough to find Alchemist Prime with Submarauder & Alpha Trion with Landmine at their local Walmart in Laurel, Mississippi. This wave has been tricky to find but it seems that it is getting more widespread. Our very own xrotorstormx and bounti76 report finding this wave at their local Walmart stores. If you need any figures from this wave it looks like a good time to roll out to the store and do some hunting. The picture below was provided by fellow news staffer bounti76 to show us what he purchased at his Walmart. It is tricky to make out but it looks like these figures cost 4.93 each.

Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964822)
Posted by Blitzwing is bae on June 13th, 2018 @ 1:14pm CDT
I also found these at a walmart in long beach yesterday! lol
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964826)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on June 13th, 2018 @ 1:32pm CDT
.... I just assumed these would be skipped.

This distribution is SUCH a mess. Like... It's always had it's bad points since I started collecting... But this is just awful.
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964834)
Posted by Flashwave on June 13th, 2018 @ 2:13pm CDT
Can confirm. I found and purchased a single pair of Landmine and Submaurader at the Meijer and Mooresville, IN. I had seen a case there during the initial run, but that was bought out. This was very likely a restock and not returned merch.
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964838)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 13th, 2018 @ 2:41pm CDT
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964852)
Posted by Survivefan23 on June 13th, 2018 @ 4:01pm CDT
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964854)
Posted by kurthy on June 13th, 2018 @ 4:26pm CDT
Yeah, I found a case of them at Walmart in Iowa City on Monday, logged them in the sightings.
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964856)
Posted by o.supreme on June 13th, 2018 @ 4:44pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:All of Wave 2 will be restocked sooner or later, if we are to believe Hasbro's Facebook post. I'm glad, I want my Volcanicus to be completed,not to mention I got a Sinnertwin and Pretenders lacking team mates :BANG_HEAD:

Well that is something. Bravo for them acknowledging the shortage. Whether or not this comes to fruition with retailers is another story but...at least it's something. Unlike TR Deluxe wave 5...no explanation for that... :-?
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964858)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 13th, 2018 @ 4:53pm CDT

Sinnertwin? No, I meant Rippersnapper :BANG_HEAD:

Since Wave 3 is shipping, anyone attempted an Abomenaticus or Destron Super Scramble?
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964860)
Posted by Cobotron on June 13th, 2018 @ 4:58pm CDT

I'd like to see what they said, and don't face space. :-P
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964862)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 13th, 2018 @ 5:11pm CDT
Cobotron wrote:Anybody have a link to Hasbro's Face Book post? Maybe it was news and I missed it. Been off the grid for a minute.

I'd like to see what they said, and don't face space. :-P

It's not on the front page, rather it's in the post with the Wave 3 Terrorcon announcements:

Official Transformers Facebook page

The post in question reads:

Hasbro wrote:Hi Transformers fans! We’ve heard that Wave 2 of Power of the Primes sold out relatively quickly, but they aren’t extinct yet. Consumers can expect to see these out again in stores and online in the U.S. this Summer.
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964884)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on June 13th, 2018 @ 7:09pm CDT
I originally found mine at freaking Kroger, and have seen none since.
KROGER, for crying out loud.
Ugh.
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964890)
Posted by Emerje on June 13th, 2018 @ 7:55pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:The post in question reads:

That might be the best thing I've read all day. I like that the didn't just say Deluxe either because there's still a bunch of stuff I need from this wave.

Emerje
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964904)
Posted by william-james88 on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:33pm CDT

Hasbro saw all these comments and responded in the same facebook thread with the following:

There are a few things to take note here. Firstly, this just refers to the US, specifically. Also, while this is good news, Hasbro had given the same statement regarding the Seige of Cybertron set from Titans Return last year, which never did get restocked by the exclusive retailer, BBTS.

The big takeaway here is that Hasbro does indeed listen to us and try to comfort us every way they can. Our distribution woes are not getting unnoticed.

Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964908)
Posted by william-james88 on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:39pm CDT
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964912)
Posted by Qwan on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:47pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:Hey does anyone have issues with Rippersnapper not closing the back of his legs in shark mode? I am having real trouble here.

As in like, the front and back halves of his shins don't close up fully in shark mode? Yeah mine has the same problem. It helps a bit to make sure that the "fronts" of his shins (on the back in shark mode) are pegged in; the kneepads nestle into the shark's back very particularly and that makes a world of difference to the gap. But sadly, I've not yet found a way to close the gap completely.
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964913)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:58pm CDT

That's a problem I'd love to have..........................sigh..................

In the meantime, haters gonna hate.
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964922)
Posted by Blitzwing is bae on June 13th, 2018 @ 11:48pm CDT
Survivefan23 wrote:I was going there to pick up Battleslash & Roadtrap. I wasn't expecting to find them. I got my mom to let me get both.

I have put my mom in that same situation many times! lol :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964923)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on June 13th, 2018 @ 11:51pm CDT
Qwan wrote:

Just don't go making fun of Rippersnapper's thigh gap. He's VERY sensitive about that nowadays. ;)
Re: Concept Art for Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus by Ken Christiansen (1964924)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on June 14th, 2018 @ 12:39am CDT
william-james88 wrote:You can't say Hasbro doesn't listen to us, as this statement we now have clearly shows. The Official Transformers Facebook page was flooded with comments regarding the lack of Power of the Primes Wave 2 product in stores. This was in response to Hasbro posting that Wave 3 was coming soon, leaving many fans worried that Wave 2 was going to be skipped by the stores they frequent.

That's all fine and good... But when they were NOT stocking Wave 2, we (or at least I -) got an ASSton more Wave 1. So... Now those are all just going to shelf-warm like crazy.
Transformers products from AMAZON