Saturday, June 4th, 2016 2:18pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 23,008

In even more IDW Publishing comics news, we have some further info directly from the creators involved in September's REVOLUTION event - with the tagline 'Take a Stand' - courtesy of a clip from IGN. It's only four minutes long, and the various people involved, including Transformers regulars John Barber and Mairghread Scott, alongside Cullen Bunn, Chris Ryall and more, touch upon the various series involved in the event: MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe.

Check it out below, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub! It looks like The Transformers might actually lead to the Big Thing after all...

Credit(s): IGN

Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1794954)
Posted by Batfan007 on June 4th, 2016 @ 5:17pm CDT
StarfireDelta wrote:Everybody wants to be Marvel. We shouldn't be surprised, but the success rate of other companies that have tried to jump on that particular bandwagon has not been terribly impressive so far. Similarly, every games company wants its World of Warcraft, but there's only one World of Warcraft. Lightning doesn't tend to strike twice. So we'll see how well this does. I just hope it doesn't spoil the good thing we've had going with Transformers comics for the last few years.

Which reminds me, I seriously need to get caught up...

ADDENDUM: I echo the sentiments of Insurgent, personally. I have no interest in Hasbro's other properties, with the exception of My Little Pony. And I really don't want to see a Transformers/MLP crossover. Not a serious one, with lasting repercussions for both franchises, anyways. Fortunately, MLP is set in a completely fictional fantasy world, rather than a fictional version of the real world, so that doesn't seem likely. Still the prospect of another giant crossover with titles that don't interest me is what cooled my interest in the Sonic the Hedgehog comics last year in the run up to their second MegaMan crossover and I haven't read them now for over a year now. I'm rather worried about the same happening with Transformers.

In comics we've had punisher and Archie together and more recently Archie met the Predator. So a Transformers / my little jabroni comic seems inevitable when one company owns the license to both brands, and both are really popular.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1794955)
Posted by Poyguimogul on June 4th, 2016 @ 5:20pm CDT
Lotta people think this will be the death of the transformers comics, but it's way bigger then that. the books you love will continue, and still be very intimate. This is for broader spectrum. I agree, G.i. Joe is w/e Ish, at this juncture, but the micronauts and M.A.S.K. aspect is flipping dank. love those two franchises so much. (like I love gobots) [and a crappie ton of other things] idw needs a Transformers / Pirates of Darkwater xo.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1794969)
Posted by Windsweeper on June 4th, 2016 @ 7:12pm CDT
I always thought Rom was a Marvel character
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1794970)
Posted by RevTibe on June 4th, 2016 @ 7:27pm CDT
Windsweeper wrote:I always thought Rom was a Marvel character

Last time I checked, the situation was that the rights to Rom the character are owned by Hasbro (although they took a winding road to reach them!), but the rights to the villains and setting remain with Marvel. It's comparable to how the Transformers featured in Marvel comics while the rights remained with Hasbro, but some of the Marvel comics characters, like Circuit Breaker, wound up being Marvel's property.

Not sure if IDW have mentioned how that situation's being handled.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1794971)
Posted by Poyguimogul on June 4th, 2016 @ 7:29pm CDT
Windsweeper wrote:I always thought Rom was a Marvel character

he was before Hasbro abducted him. idw just utilized a resource.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1794973)
Posted by Kurona on June 4th, 2016 @ 8:08pm CDT
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795009)
Posted by RodimusRex on June 5th, 2016 @ 12:32am CDT
The green military Optimus looks a bit like a much more polished version of the unreleased G2 General Optimus, which was homaged at Botcon last year with a Roadbuster repaint.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795011)
Posted by Shot Put on June 5th, 2016 @ 12:44am CDT
RevTibe wrote:
Windsweeper wrote:I always thought Rom was a Marvel character

Not sure if IDW have mentioned how that situation's being handled.

Kurona wrote:Basically the way it works is the rights to ROM's character itself was owned by the company that created them; then eventually Hasbro got ahold of them. However... as there was nothing to ROM itself, not even a back-of-the-box blurb, when Marvel came around to creating their series around him, they basically made everything up. So it's less accurate to say Marvel owns ROM's villains, and more to say that Marvel owns literally everything about ROM rather than ROM himself. So... yeah. Pretty funny situation with the rights.

These are both kind of wrong. ROM did have blurbs on his box, as well as stuff in the commercials, that describing weaponry and some of his mythology... including his primary villains, the Dire Wraiths. While Marvel seems to somehow own their version of the Dire Wraiths, Hasbro and IDW can make use of their own Dire Wraiths (which are probably the only really essential part of that mythology aside from ROM himself) based off of what was already there pre-Marvel; they were in the FCBD ROM issue, and they've been mentioned in multiple interviews as being in Revolution.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795245)
Posted by 1984forever on June 6th, 2016 @ 5:15am CDT

At this point I am hoping that readership on these titles drops low enough so it's no longer profitable for Idw to put out Transformers. Let some other company get a crack at it.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795491)
Posted by Cyberstrike on June 7th, 2016 @ 10:10am CDT
1984forever wrote:Transformers has this rich history with characters and places that have never been fully explored, but yet IDW feels that somehow it's not enough. So now it's another crossover with GI Joe, this time with Mask and Rom and etc thrown in. Maybe if the IDW writers stop using the same characters all the time they wouldn't be so bored with Transformers.

Or maybe it's like all the other titles are riding on the success of The Transformers, The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye and The Transformers: Till Are One making Rom, The Micronauts, G.I. Joe, Action Man, M.A.S.K., and whatever else basically spin-offs of the various Transformers books. Which doesn't sound like a failure that is what is a success.

I would think you welcome it because you hate all the great characterization, universe building, themes, and better ideas that IDW has injected into the tied old Transformers comics to make them really great and not just dumb action comics about stupid robots that change into cars and stalk stupid teenagers and then beat the crap out each other.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795576)
Posted by Va'al on June 7th, 2016 @ 3:56pm CDT
By sideways of a Nerdist interview with IDW Publishing's Chris Ryall and Christos Gage - some of the minds behind not only ROM the Spaceknight, but also September's giant status quo shake REVOLUTION - we have a tidbit of info to be added to the compiled news from Twitter after the announcement here: the connection between MASK and Transformers, and the involvement on ROM in all of this - including Paramount's The Last Knight live-action movie. Check out the snippet below, and the full piece here!

But Autobots and M.A.S.K. both have transforming technology—is there already a connection there? Ryall responds, “That’s an excellent question that I’m going to say will be answered within the pages of the Revolution event series.”

Naturally I had to ask if they were aware of my theory, as seen on Nerdist News, that the marketing for the new Transformers movie is hinting at ROM. The answers were…interesting.

“I got a lot of e-mails after that article got out there,” says Gage. “I think it’s pretty close to the original ROM logo.”

“It worried me,” says Ryall. “I want there to be a ROM movie, but I would like it to just sort of be a new continuity, not something that’s tacked on.”
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795577)
Posted by Va'al on June 7th, 2016 @ 3:59pm CDT
Pictured above, a prime example of 'milking it' news post. :saint:
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795681)
Posted by RiddlerJ on June 7th, 2016 @ 9:45pm CDT
Endlessly obsessed with repaint potential, I would love to see Transformers figures retooled into other Hasbro characters. ROM, Robotix, Mask. I remember a Matt Tracker G.I. Joe from a few years ago but could we could have Optimus repainted into Rhino?
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795800)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 8th, 2016 @ 9:43am CDT
I just really cannot see how all these other properties, including IDW's previous G.I. Joe comic series, could feasibly fit into the post-All Hail Megatron world of the IDW Transformers comics. Several world-shattering events have gone down in the Transformers comics (the aforementioned AHM, all the international stuff in Costa's 2009-2011 ongoing, the current All Hail Optimus storyline, etc.) in which it would have made logical sense for all of these to catch attention from the likes of G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., and Action Man and get them involved. AHM even resulted in a billion casualties across the globe. How these other heroes and hero organizations didn't have any reaction to that is gonna need some hard explaining.

And frankly, what made these properties so successful back in their heyday was how they each stood on their own strengths and merits. But now, with IDW looking to incorporate them all into the same single universe as their Transformers comics, it becomes less of an attempt to create new life for each of these as their own entities, and more instead as an attempt to create new life for each of these as Transformers spinoffs. Except, there's one very important thing that hampers that: They aren't Transformers properties. IDW doing this feels like each of these properties, no matter how far they try to get away from Transformers should they choose to do so after the Revolution event ends, will be forever tied down to adhering to whatever world-effecting continuity stuff their mother franchise Transformers does, and likewise for Transformers having to rely on whatever the likes of G.I. Joe and ROM do should they too have some big continuity-related events. It all reeks of a severely hampering of creative and continuity freedom.

While Marvel and DC have each been able to do the shared universe thing (to varying results for better or worse), they've been doing that for years now. Several decades, even. IDW is just now beginning to barely scratch the surface of the concept long after they've already had several titles successfully running independent of one another, and now their trying to bring them all together long after the fact. That could prove very disastrous. It take the most surgically precise care ever to bring all of these into one universe, which could prove absurdly convoluted in the end.

Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795816)
Posted by Va'al on June 8th, 2016 @ 10:14am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:I'm not gonna cry foul on this just yet, but I'm still very wary of Revolution coming out smoothly. And I weep for the potential mess this might cause for the Wiki.

As much as I like what McFeely does on there with the comics, and a few others who contribute, it is not a necessary job - much like mine on here, or any fansite's coverage or reviews or what have you, for that matter. It is their choice to follow the comics, in general or specifically for Revolution.

If the event turns out to be a failure, the wiki is really not where my first thoughts go. But rather the readers - some of whom left with AHM, some with Costa, some with the 'reboot' in DOOP, some with Dark Cybertron, some with Combiner Wars, and others still join by the day.

The wiki, many times, embodies what I like least about comics culture: the obsessive focus on continuity and canon. I've said it jokingly in the past, but I have real issues with it. It is arbitrary, unnecessary yet perpetrated and reissued as the opposite, and has a feeling more of retrenchment than progression, with undertones of gatekeeping. It is a concept I dislike, and one that I'd like to see challenged more often, narratively and critically/from the readers. It precludes change, it gets in the way of development that strays from pre-guided paths, and is usually governed by a small group of people, be they creators, consumers or distributors.

That became a rant.

TL;DR - I hope Revolution does fine, I hope people are not disappointed by eventual changes, I hope people concerned with canon/continuity get over it.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795890)
Posted by RevTibe on June 8th, 2016 @ 1:07pm CDT
I sincerely doubt this will cause any mess for the wiki - it's nothing new to it. The Marvel Transformers would run into Marvelverse Spiderman, so the wiki just records the information related to Spiderman's appearances in Transformers-related stories. How the wiki handles IDW Crossover stories is another relevant example - in the '14 X-Files Crossover the Transformers featured in one part of a series including the Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc, but the wiki only records the TF-relevant story, leaving the rest as a footnote.

I don't think GI Joe or MASK will necessarily cause a continuity bloat, if handled well. Events like AHM will probably mean that GI Joe and MASK are new organizations, probably created in response to the events of All Hail Optimus - after all, AHO and AHM have established that humans now have weird and wonderful vehicles + equipment derived from TF-tech, which is a solid lead-in to GI Joe/MASK. (The mention of ROM having some Ore-13 tomfoolery does establish a willingness to use TF fiction in the creation of these series).

Ideally, once the crossover event is over GI Joe and MASK will hold the same place in IDW Transformers fiction that the EDC has - "Yeah, the humans probably have some pretty intense military stuff now, but we're not mentioning it since it's kinda irrelevant to Cybertron."
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1795951)
Posted by Ironhidensh on June 8th, 2016 @ 4:47pm CDT
LIke I said earlier, G.I. Joe is the only property that I think will cause continuity issues. Correct me if I"m worng, but I believe the creators have stated that M.A.S.K. will be formed as a direct result of the Transformer involvment/attacks on Earth. That makes sense, and should blend in seemlessly.

As for Rom and the Micronaughts, I know nothing about them, but they are new franchises as well, right? They should work fine.

Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1796027)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 8th, 2016 @ 10:20pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:G.I. Joe is the one that already has established history. A well established history without the Transformers. Asking that we accept the G.I. Joe universe has exsisted without ever mentioning or interacting with the Transformers is simply to big a suspension of belief, for me at least. I honestly think G.I. Joe should simply be rebooted.
Agreed. Something like All Hail Megatron would have most definitely caught the Joes' attention. A billion people died in it, for crying out loud. That they didn't even raise an eyebrow at it if they're supposed to be in the same universe is beyond baffling.
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1796136)
Posted by Va'al on June 9th, 2016 @ 4:32am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

The Joes were all included in that billion..?
I dunno, I'm just waiting to see how they solve it too!
Re: Creators on IDW / Hasbro Revolution Event - Interview with John Barber, Chris Ryall, Mairghread Scott and More (1796669)
Posted by Va'al on June 10th, 2016 @ 4:15pm CDT
Retreading *a lot* of previously explored material, Comic Book Resources brings an (apparently) exclusive peek at what's lurking behind IDW Publishing's REVOLUTION event, coming this September. Pretty much all of the creators involved are in the video embedded below, and they drop information on the various books included in the crossover, so check it out!

Starting in September, IDW Publishing is truly opening up its toy box. The San Diego-based publisher announced the "Revolution" event earlier this month, pairing its many licensed Hasbro action properties -- Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, ROM and Action Man -- into one shared universe, combining multiple long-running properties in comics for the first time.

CBR has the first full look at a video featuring multiple "Revolution" creators and editors, including John Barber, Brandon Easton, Aubrey Sitterson, Chris Ryall, Christos Gage, David Hedgecock and Cullen Bunn discussing the impending Hasbro crossover, along with a look at art from the upcoming event.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #288 - Filler Episode
"Filler Episode"
Posted: Sunday, November 14th, 2021

Buy "RARE 2014 HIGH TIDE Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots + 2  '15 Chase the Police" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS ACADEMY HOIST THE TOW BOT FLATBED TOW TRUCK HASBRO" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Deluxe Ratchet? 96% Complete? (No Weapon)?" on EBAY
Buy "New TRANSFORMERS Generations TG-23 METROPLEX Action Figure TAKARA TOMY" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS ALTERNITY CONVOY NISSAN GT-R ULTIMATE METAL SILVER A-01 TAKARA NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Ultimate Gift Set (Combat Hero Optimus Prime, Jazz)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Motorbreath & Thundercracker (Hasbro)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Alternity A-02 Nissan Fairlady Z Megatron - Diamond Black (Takara)" on EBAY