Wednesday, March 28th, 2018 2:45AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 20,035

Bringing together some sources from various outlets online - including the fingers of the two major writers working on IDW Publishing's Transformers comics right now - we have an actual confirmation of the ending of the current continuity (not just stories, not just titles - continuity), once the Unicron: The Darkest Hour event is over. Meaning that each of the two ongoing series will have reached over 75 issues each (in comics terms of length, this is on par with the likes of Vertigo cult hits Lucifer or The Sandman).

According to More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light writer, first appearing in Chaos Theory and Last Stand of the Wreckers, James Roberts:

James Roberts wrote:To summarise: the current IDW G1 continuity will end (spectacularly) with Unicron #6, OP #25 and LL #25, all in September. All three are biweekly over summer. We've had time to plan for the end, so it's a proper, un-rushed wrap up. Beyond Sept? New IDW TF comics, new continuity.

Lost Light will end in the way that I always intended MTMTE to end, and I'm so pleased I can say that. Issue #16 marks the start of a 10 part series finale that is HUGE in scope. Expect things get bigger and deadlier and madder and weirder until... the end of the quest.

From Robots in Disguise, The Transformers, Optimus Prime writer and previously brand editor at IDW John Barber:

John Barber wrote:The outpouring of love and heart and emotion at the news of our run on Transformers coming to an end has been overwhelming. Thanks everybody, I’ll talk more when I’m home from Wondercon tomorrow, but honestly thanks, and I for one am very excited about what we do next...!

IDW will continue to publish TF comics, but not in this comics universe, if that helps clear things up.

I don't work at IDW—I'm just a freelance writer. So I don't know all what's happening on that front.

I wouldn't say it's the end for anybody, but I'm pretty sure there will be some new names as well.

So what is actually happening after the current stories end in September is still unknown, and we will have no solicitations for that month until at least June - though it's likely that San Diego Comic Con will be the bigger source of announcements, given the timeline. What we do know, however, is the following:

• IDW Transformers books will still exist after Unicron event, in a new universe and new continuity
  • Releases in June: LL 19, LL 20, OP 20
  • July: LL 21-22, OP 21-22, Unicron 1-2
  • August: LL 23-24, OP 23-24, Unicron 3-4
  • September: LL 25, OP 25, Unicron 5-6

Fellow Transformers fan Nekotron on Twitter has also put together a handy visual guide for the above releases of Lost Light, Optimus Prime and Unicron (though keep in mind the arc titles may not be correct at this time), mirrored below. Check it out, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub!

Transformers News: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know
Credit(s): John Barber, James Roberts, Nekotron
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948794)
Posted by Coptur on March 28th, 2018 @ 3:38am CDT
I'm not sad that it's ending.

Overall I have enjoyed IDW-verse but the last 4 years for me have been it's weakest.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948795)
Posted by steve2275 on March 28th, 2018 @ 3:38am CDT
let the good times roll
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948799)
Posted by KorsO on March 28th, 2018 @ 3:53am CDT
Galactic Prime wrote:
KorsO wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:
KorsO wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:

Yup, 100% EJ sucks, can't even stand looking at that ****. Don's Dreamwave stuff is amazing, his IDW stuff is amazing, until the Ongoing started and then he decided to go all Michael Bay **** style.

Lol.. Yup, then that's a 1000% solid Fact confirmation your visual judgement & preference Sucks balls buddy :lol: .
Damn lucky, Thank goodness these comic publishing houses doesn't have you or anyone similar deciding on the art direction..hehea :DANCE: .

Thank you for spending years of personal time & money on all of IDW comic runs btw ;)

**Never imagined it was possible to come across someone worse & deluded than Bay. :shock: :michaelbay: :lol:

I think the only ball sucking here, is done by you.

Look at this garbage

https://livioramondelli.deviantart.com/ ... -449056320

or this

https://guidoguidi.deviantart.com/art/T ... -416040063

or this

And that's just some of their worst offenders.

You're the one who clearly doesn't know what good art is

Lol, Unbelievable. Those are stellar variety of art styles. Livio's, very quirky stylized but has a cinematic charm to it. & Guido. Well GUido is Guido. Hit & misses. Good or bad, dude's a TF Hall of Famer. Plus he did mentioned hes championing the early TF Marvel comic styles. Heads up already given.
The only art that I am not a fan of is Wildman's. Even so, unlike you, Im not petty enough to call (or actually sincerely think) that its garbage. I just effortlessly avoid it.
No harm no foul. Done. Easy.
Still happy i bought the Mentzen, Flint & Livio Autocracy, Monstrocity & Primacy series.

Calling it garbage on a fan runned Tf board over and over and over and over sure is a Big boy Legit move there dreamwave boy.
If it bugs you so much to the point of whining & repeating your empty insults on these boards, why not go straight to the source?
Simon, James, Barber, Ej, Livio, Guido all have twitters buddy. And are constantly daily active as well.
The artists all have Intagram, Tumblr & Deviant art pages too. You can easily throw your 'Garbage' remarks there & have an immediate reply from the source authors.

Why not just do that Big boy? Too busy enjoying the self ball sucking too much? 8-)

I've actually told EJ Su what I think of his art thank you, and the unbelievable part here is that you think any of that is good. Welcome to the list of polished turds who like crappy art

Takes an Actual polished turd who likes crappy art to easily accuse another of being one buddy. :lol: Cheers.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948802)
Posted by KorsO on March 28th, 2018 @ 4:16am CDT
Coptur wrote:I'm not sad that it's ending.

Had a good 12 years + Run. Lots of story Hits and Misses literally all along the way. The ones where hasbro Veto'ed in to contribute to their new Transformers Lines Event (Combiner Wars, Titans) was quite easy to forgive for they were the big bosses. It happens.

Hope 2019 reboot will continue to deliver more innovative TF narrative and intelligent lore building. James did it really well with Chaos Theory, death of Op, MTMTE S1 & S2.
Remembered how pumped I was when these new stories were threading up coming out from Costa's & McCarthy's runs.
Despite the ups & downs of their TF delivery, IDW still has my vote ;)
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948805)
Posted by Agent 53 on March 28th, 2018 @ 4:34am CDT
Ah so it's like the Secret Wars/ DC Crisis/ Flashpoint of the IDW universe. Sounds cool.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948809)
Posted by Big Grim on March 28th, 2018 @ 5:05am CDT
Sad to see it going. There's been some absolute gold in this continuity. Some guff as well but that's true of everything.

Shame we'll be losing Lost Light. I've been enjoying it, despite a few bumpy issues.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948811)
Posted by Coptur on March 28th, 2018 @ 5:23am CDT
Personally I don't want a full new universe right now.

I'd love it if they did a few stand alone maxi-series.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948812)
Posted by Burn on March 28th, 2018 @ 5:27am CDT
KorsO wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:
KorsO wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:
KorsO wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:

I think the only ball sucking here, is done by you.

Look at this garbage

https://livioramondelli.deviantart.com/ ... -449056320

or this

https://guidoguidi.deviantart.com/art/T ... -416040063

or this

And that's just some of their worst offenders.

You're the one who clearly doesn't know what good art is

No harm no foul. Done. Easy.

This thing between you two ends now.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948817)
Posted by KorsO on March 28th, 2018 @ 6:26am CDT
Burn wrote:
KorsO wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:
KorsO wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:
KorsO wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:

I think the only ball sucking here, is done by you.

Look at this garbage

https://livioramondelli.deviantart.com/ ... -449056320

or this

https://guidoguidi.deviantart.com/art/T ... -416040063

or this

And that's just some of their worst offenders.

You're the one who clearly doesn't know what good art is

No harm no foul. Done. Easy.

This thing between you two ends now.

Noted & no worries. Nothing is going on, on my end here. ;)
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948821)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on March 28th, 2018 @ 6:56am CDT
I can accept a reboot with grace, but I'd really love it if James Roberts got an ongoing Exiles-type of series. Keep a few of the core MtMtE characters and take them outside the rest of the universe where there's total freedom to be silly and weird.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948829)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on March 28th, 2018 @ 8:22am CDT

But, you know what? This has been a fantastic run.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948830)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on March 28th, 2018 @ 8:35am CDT

Personally, I've loved this era of Transformers. This has been MY Transformers, for what it's worth. It's going to be very sad to see it go. I'm sure there will be call backs in the new universe, I just hate to see all that world building gone.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948831)
Posted by ScottyP on March 28th, 2018 @ 8:51am CDT
Black Bumblebee wrote:I think the shared universe thing is what broke them. Once done, very, very hard to undo. If GI Joe wants to reboot and do their own thing, for example... they can't.

This post nails it. 100% agreed on all counts :)

Looks like these next few weeks are the last lull in releases to expect for awhile. Considering OP 17 isn't out until 4/18, with Requiem of the Wreckers hitting in May along with the other books, it looks like the time to hang on for the end of this ride is closer than it seems!
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948832)
Posted by Prime Nova on March 28th, 2018 @ 8:55am CDT
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948834)
Posted by Munkky on March 28th, 2018 @ 8:57am CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:It's odd timing considering the Visionaries crossover is a thing. I guess the shared universe concept really didn't work out for them. At all.

I get the feeling from both this news and the War for Cybertron trilogy starting in 2019 that Hasbro was really shaken by The Last Knight flopping (I remember hearing that The Last Knight was supposed to be the start of a Hasbro Cinematic Universe), so they pulled the plug on everything that wasn't too far in production to cancel and ordered a complete blank-slate fresh start for the franchise in 2019, because the direction at the time wasn't working out. Of course IDW's continuity reset could have been planned long before The Last Knight was even filmed, but that's just the impression I'm getting.
Regardless, I only ever dabbled in the current IDW continuity and disliked most of what I read, so I won't be sad to see it go. I'll pick up the first few issues of the rebooted continuity and see what it's like.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948835)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on March 28th, 2018 @ 9:30am CDT
I actually hope the shared universe thing sticks. I believe that the problem came from trying to bring it in late in the game. If all of those IPs had been intersecting from early in IDW's world-building, Rom crossing paths with M.A.S.K. wouldn't have been any weirder than the Guardians of the Galaxy encountering the Avengers.

And I was rather impressed by how well they did manage to tie some things together, like M.A.S.K. technology being re-engineered from Transformers, Joe Colton and Miles Mayhem being old allies, and the Microverse being created by Micronus Prime.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948837)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on March 28th, 2018 @ 9:31am CDT
Munkky wrote: I get the feeling from both this news and the War for Cybertron trilogy starting in 2019 that Hasbro was really shaken by The Last Knight flopping (I remember hearing that The Last Knight was supposed to be the start of a Hasbro Cinematic Universe), so they pulled the plug on everything that wasn't too far in production to cancel and ordered a complete blank-slate fresh start for the franchise in 2019, because the direction at the time wasn't working out.

I think so too. Although - talk about an overreaction. I don't think they really needed to reboot everything. Maybe just focus on what actually works and not try to shoehorn every single IP they own into a story that really didn't need it.
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948839)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on March 28th, 2018 @ 9:42am CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote: Maybe just focus on what actually works and not try to shoehorn every single IP they own into a story that really didn't need it.

Gotta make that MCU Money though! The Shared Universe gimmick has generated enough money that, for good or ill, everyone wants in on it, with no greater thought than combining everything they have...
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948851)
Posted by Coptur on March 28th, 2018 @ 12:04pm CDT
Prime Nova wrote:Hope they keep scott off the books. They could bring Shane back because the Mars attack one shot was amazing. If they set it in that time line

Couldn't agree more, others raved about TAAO but after rereading that run a number of things grinded my gears
Re: Current IDW Transformers Comics Universe to End in September 2018 - Confirmation on What We Know (1948856)
Posted by WreckerJack on March 28th, 2018 @ 12:45pm CDT
Sad to see it go, but LL did sour on me. Sad part is now I am going to track down all of the stuff I didn't have have time to read and probably should have. Oh well.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Sawback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #234 - Hell in a Cel
"Hell in a Cel"
Posted: Sunday, November 10th, 2019

Buy "Transformers COGMAN Studio Series #39 & STEELBANE Deluxe Premier Edition Figures" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations SCOURGE "SWEEPS" MISB RARE! 3 X Army Builder Set" on EBAY
Buy " Transformers Universe Ratchet Deluxe Generations Autobot Warriors Henkei" on EBAY
Buy "Micromaster Ironworks Crane Base G1 Transformers 1989 Vintage Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Scourge" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS 2010 Universal Dominator UNICRON & Creator PRIMUS Takara MIB G1" on EBAY
Buy "Topshot and Flak Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Micromasters Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations RATTRAP Deluxe Figure MOSC Beast Wars 2014 Thrilling 30" on EBAY