Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept

Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept

Friday, August 5th, 2011 10:04am CDT

Categories: Toy News, People News, Unlicensed Products News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 78,560

As most of you probably know by now a new third-party company calling themselves G1Uppers is planning to release an upgrade set for the BotCon 2011 Animated Stunticons that will allow them to combine. During the third-party panel at last weekend's TFcon they revealed a concept sketch for the combined mode head, then followed up by posting several other concept head designs on their blog asking for fan input. Now Derrick J. Wyatt, the mastermind behind the Animated world and the BotCon set, has tweeted his take what Animated Menasor's head design would look like. Considerably different from any of the concept designs currently up for display. The various Animated Menasor heads are mirrored below.

Derrick J. Wyatt Design

G1Uppers TFcon Design

Additional G1Uppers Concepts

Credit(s): Derrick J. Wyatt Twitter Feed, G1Uppers

This article was last modified on Friday, August 5th, 2011 10:35am CDT

Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1271959)
Posted by WolfDawg on August 5th, 2011 @ 10:20am CDT
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1271964)
Posted by Lapse Of Reason on August 5th, 2011 @ 10:33am CDT
I like the Wyatt design best.
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1271980)
Posted by Solrac333 on August 5th, 2011 @ 11:18am CDT
The concept designs are WAY better than Derrick J. Wyatt's.
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1271988)
Posted by gothsaurus on August 5th, 2011 @ 11:25am CDT
I wouldn't say those are better than Derrick's. They're more detailed, but not sure I like the style better. More simple looks more "animated" style. Adding a whole lot of rivets and detail will step away from the aesthetics of the set. Hmmm.

I WOULD like to see those pokey side 'horns' from the Derek design brought over to the toy. The curved helmet doesn't look as Menasor to me. Those look more like a mean Prowl or Ratchet helmet.
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272026)
Posted by rpetras on August 5th, 2011 @ 12:31pm CDT
I prefer DJW's take on the design.

It fits better with the overall animated aesthetic (as you would expect) and still retains the characteristics of Menasor.

The TFCon design is probably the next closest tp the TFA style.

The others would be more appropriate for a different character.
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272034)
Posted by robofreak on August 5th, 2011 @ 12:45pm CDT
All Wyatt is doing is influencing how the 3rd party design will look so it will ultimately end up fitting into his Animted universe.

I like his deisgn, but I think it looks too much like Motormaster's head. I would prefer if the new trailer upgrade went for something a little more out of the box.

The head Wyatt made also seems like it will make him more on the fat side. I kinda see this combiner being a little more slim after all is said and done. Seeing how the Stunticons are performers, I would only naturally assume that Menasor is just as agile in the combined mode.

NOTE: I have not read the comic. All I know is that they do a circus act.
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272049)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 5th, 2011 @ 1:20pm CDT
Now the question remains. Will G1UPPERS take this design a reflect it in their product?
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272085)
Posted by Marcdachamp on August 5th, 2011 @ 2:14pm CDT
WolfDawg wrote:I'm digging DJW's design a lot more than the G1 Uppers'. I mean, all the designs are cool and I'd be pretty happy with any of them, but I still prefer DJW's. Plus, using that head would make the gestalt sort of official.

That's what I was thinking! It would make it a little more legit. Probably encourage him to use it if they ever do a Season 4 comic, too.

Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272089)
Posted by Astronopolis on August 5th, 2011 @ 2:16pm CDT
I am seriously loving the Atilla the Hun Mongolian warrior references in DJW's head. I think it provides what the G1UPPERS designs lacked, a healthy dose of character!
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272092)
Posted by gothsaurus on August 5th, 2011 @ 2:19pm CDT
Marcdachamp wrote:If I had the Stunticon set and they went with Wyatt's design, I'd totally buy it.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If it seems official, I'm going to get it. If not, gonna pass. :-?
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272108)
Posted by LEJAM on August 5th, 2011 @ 3:07pm CDT
IMHO, the head got a prominent chin with a Cybertronian beard (robots with mouth reach the maximum point).
2 days ago, I tried to design something different :

Enjoy ^__^
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272113)
Posted by gothsaurus on August 5th, 2011 @ 3:16pm CDT
Hey.

I'm actually really liking that. It has the Animated nose, the big side points. Nods to the G1 and Animated.

Looking at the old G1 animation model (and Derricks)... those depict the points coming out of the SIDE of his head. The G1 toy design (and these sketches) show a front crest like Prowl/Ratchet... with exaggerated points.

I'm debating which I like best... and which embodies Menasor better.

Either way, I think it's going in the right direction. I can give or take the goatee. (Can always sharpee that on later. LOL.)

Nice job. And thanks for giving the fans a chance to chime in. Hope it doesn't come across to negative getting all this blast of input from all these peeps. :D
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272196)
Posted by El Duque on August 5th, 2011 @ 5:56pm CDT
I guessing the reason DJW's head design is so wide is so it could slip over Motormaster'ss blockly head.
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272238)
Posted by BeastProwl on August 5th, 2011 @ 8:58pm CDT
Well, The motormaster facial hair looks more like attilla the hun, or however you spell it, on menasor. IDK If it works that much for me. you know, if the show was ever continued, and I saw him in episodes, then maybe my opinion would change...?
*SIGHS*
wishful thinking
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272276)
Posted by UltraPrimal on August 5th, 2011 @ 10:41pm CDT

OK. I think that's my favourite so far. I can actually look at that and see Menasor. The G1uppers guys' sketches all kind of look like what would happen if Ironhide, Ratchet, Prowl, Smokescreen, and Bluestreak had a big orgy and nobody brought condoms. Derricks kind looks like Motormaster wearing some sort of samurai or something. Still not 100% perfect though. Something still bugs me about it. It kinda looks like the Cybertron Starscream head with a crest added. But I think this is definitely a case where I'd prefer a comic inspired head than a cartoon styled head. Even though that goes against Animateds origins. I can't help but wonder if it would look better if the Menasor head was a mix of the 5 Stunticons heads. Like if you were to overlap all the head designs and then erase bits, maybe add the antennas, until you have a Menasor looking head. Take Arcee's forehead, Motormaster box, Wildriders jaw, etc. Image
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272370)
Posted by LEJAM on August 6th, 2011 @ 5:31am CDT
It reminds starscream because of the side vents.
I tried to get close to these pictures I used as reference with TF Animated design :
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272420)
Posted by Leader_Ultra_Magnus on August 6th, 2011 @ 9:45am CDT
I have to say that the Derrick J. Wyatt Design is by far my favorite!

It evokes a menacing feeling and still retains the animated aesthetic I've come to love.

Sincerely,

Animated Fan #39
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272506)
Posted by El Duque on August 6th, 2011 @ 2:25pm CDT
Here's there latest design:

Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1272791)
Posted by XxsnipersnakexX on August 7th, 2011 @ 10:05am CDT
hope there's something for my OP
Re: Derrick J. Wyatt Animated Menasor Head Concept (1273881)
Posted by El Duque on August 9th, 2011 @ 4:43pm CDT
Optimus Prime gives us a first look at the head sculpt for G1Uppers upcoming BotCon 2011 Animated Stunticons "Menace" combiner upgrade in the video embedded below. As you can see the designers took Derrick J. Wyatt's concept to heart.

According to the G1Uppers website the combining aspect of this project has never been an issue, they are working on capturing the Animated "essence".

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #273 - Our Way to Oblivion
"Our Way to Oblivion"
Posted: Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Lot incomplete G1 Generations Optimus Megatron McDonalds Armada RID" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS ROBOTS IN DISGUISE BLIZZARD STRIKE SWELTER, Mini-Con 2016" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise RiD 2015 Legion Class Groundbuster Arm Claw" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Minicon Drift Jetstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Micron Arms SHOCKWAVE Misb New Deluxe Am-29 Rid Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID 2015 Crash Optimus Prime Strongarm Combiner Force PrimeStrong" on EBAY
Buy "SILVERBOLT AERIALBOT TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE GENERATIONS ULTRA CLASS 2008 MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Windcharger Transformers Combiner Wars Loose 2015 Hasbro" on EBAY