Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe

Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over:  Hostages Are Safe

Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 4:19pm CDT

Categories: Company News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Delicon   Views: 38,765

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

To update an earlier story, the crisis at Discovery Communications HQ is now officially over. Thankfully, everyone appears to be safe now, other than the gunman himself.

Here is an excerpt of the latest news, courtesy of AOL.

(Sept. 1) -- Police snipers this afternoon shot dead a gunman carrying a backpack full of possible explosives and freed the three people he had been holding hostage inside the headquarters of the Discovery Channel in Silver Spring, Md., authorities said.

All three hostages were safe, Montgomery County Police Chief Tom Manger said. He initially said police had shot the suspect but he did not know the man's condition. Police later confirmed the gunman was dead.


Seibertron.com's Delicon has been able to confirm that The Hub offices are in fact located in the same building as his brother-in-law is a Discovery employee who works at the same location.

Credit(s): AOL News


This article was last modified on Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 5:42pm CDT

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120298)
Posted by REGIFISHY on September 1st, 2010 @ 4:31pm CDT
AHAHAHAHAHAH, Good riddance!
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120307)
Posted by SlyTF1 on September 1st, 2010 @ 4:59pm CDT
I just heard about this on the news a few minutes ago. I wonder what his motive was.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120309)
Posted by Dinobot747 on September 1st, 2010 @ 5:03pm CDT
I read his demands. What a whacko. Kinda sad things didn't end well for him though.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120319)
Posted by Shadowman on September 1st, 2010 @ 5:29pm CDT
REGIFISHY wrote:AHAHAHAHAHAH, Good riddance!


Yeah, death is hilarious.

SlyTF1 wrote:I just heard about this on the news a few minutes ago. I wonder what his motive was.


Among other things, he demanded the Discovery Channel and TLC show more "eco friendly" programs, as well as adopting his views of what "eco friendly" actually means, which happens to include people no longer breeding "filthy human infants."
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120333)
Posted by BattleRoller23 on September 1st, 2010 @ 5:59pm CDT
This man actually has a myspace! I have seen it before!
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120336)
Posted by Mindmaster on September 1st, 2010 @ 6:16pm CDT
Thank God they're OK. I really don't like hearing about hostage situations, and tears me to pieces every time I hear one. Thank God that the hostages were unharmed. :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE:
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120342)
Posted by JRFitzpatrick7 on September 1st, 2010 @ 6:27pm CDT
Perceptor wrote:you're welcome citizens


Image
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120344)
Posted by synthetik on September 1st, 2010 @ 6:32pm CDT
Though I advocate radical environmentalism, taking people hostage is just a stupid thing to do. People shouldn't be hurt at all, that takes away the meaning of saving the world
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120359)
Posted by Delicon on September 1st, 2010 @ 7:19pm CDT
I'm just glad that Matt (my brother-in-law) is safe, he just took that job a few months ago.

As far as the gunman goes, obviously the man had some real issues, I am just glad that those issues didn't take away any inncoent lives in the process.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120416)
Posted by Sky-Quake on September 1st, 2010 @ 10:08pm CDT
hahahaha did I f###ing call it or what :D wonder if they got a head shot :twisted: mwhahahahahaha
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120420)
Posted by Shadowman on September 1st, 2010 @ 10:18pm CDT
Sky-Quake wrote:hahahaha did I f###ing call it or what :D wonder if they got a head shot :twisted: mwhahahahahaha


I know the guy did bad things, but a human being getting killed is not funny.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120451)
Posted by MGrotusque on September 1st, 2010 @ 11:45pm CDT
too bad he chose such a retarded way to voice his beliefs! It's easy to get angry about the way the world is today and get bent out of shape about it cause in reality nothing is going to change and only get worse.
Better people have said the same things in FAR better ways and it still won't change the inevitable.
Too many people on the planet and our growth remains uncheked.
THe environment and the animals that live in it are destroyed and consumed at ever growing rates to feed our appetites.
It's a matter of time really.
We all know it.
least there's one less human to contribute to it all.
There's a natural order to things and right now.....humanity is very unnatural.
Sure it can change and there is hope but the social consciousness has to change and be willing to take the responsability and take the measures needed to save life as we know it on this planet. Or it can and will take a very unpleasant turn for the worse.
Think larger than the bubble that you live in and your day to day life.....just sayin.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120456)
Posted by Blurrz on September 2nd, 2010 @ 12:10am CDT
monstergrotusque wrote:too bad he chose such a retarded way to voice his beliefs! It's easy to get angry about the way the world is today and get bent out of shape about it cause in reality nothing is going to change and only get worse.
Better people have said the same things in FAR better ways and it still won't change the inevitable.


Seriously? We're all doomed? The apocalypse is loomin? As an environmentalist and that being part of Undergrad Degree, it's all about solving through gradual change, not the instantaneous kind. If everyone had a negative attitude like you did towards our current situation, we'd all be jumping off buildings. Look, I'm not telling you put a fake smile on your face, but seriously dude, just lighten up a little and drop the pessimism. As mankind, we'll survive, we'll find ways to adjust. It's just that there are goofs like these who'd rather try to do something like this - instead of trying to change the world in the inside, by getting an education and allowing themselves to grasp the current situation of our planet.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120458)
Posted by MGrotusque on September 2nd, 2010 @ 12:27am CDT
Blurrz wrote:
monstergrotusque wrote:too bad he chose such a retarded way to voice his beliefs! It's easy to get angry about the way the world is today and get bent out of shape about it cause in reality nothing is going to change and only get worse.
Better people have said the same things in FAR better ways and it still won't change the inevitable.


Seriously? We're all doomed? The apocalypse is loomin? As an environmentalist and that being part of Undergrad Degree, it's all about solving through gradual change, not the instantaneous kind. If everyone had a negative attitude like you did towards our current situation, we'd all be jumping off buildings. Look, I'm not telling you put a fake smile on your face, but seriously dude, just lighten up a little and drop the pessimism. As mankind, we'll survive, we'll find ways to adjust. It's just that there are goofs like these who'd rather try to do something like this - instead of trying to change the world in the inside, by getting an education and allowing themselves to grasp the current situation of our planet.

Agreed....i'm being heavy handed but sometimes ya gotta be. I'm just using words.
As for mankind finding a way and adjusting.....say that to the species on the brink of extinction and those that are gone all over the planet and life giving oceans being polluted and pillaged to feed humanity till it's barren and lifeless. or the polluted earth and air. I'm not saying be an extremist but the times are extreme indeed!
As i said before....better people have spread that message in FAR better ways than this guy did or i have just done but it still needs to be said. Not all people can be patient and gradual. As humans we express ourselves in many ways and some aren't so nice but thats a reality. I'm not a very "NICE" guy when it comes to this issue. I'm passionate about it as are you. Sorry for the pessimism but people have to WAKE UP!! and act. Or really.....it'll be gone....and soon. YOu've seen what's happend over the last 150 years and it's impact. THat change was pretty "instantaneous" in the history of the planet. Why can't the fix be the same?
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120460)
Posted by Noideaforaname on September 2nd, 2010 @ 12:43am CDT
Shadowman wrote:I don't know which is a worse idea, thinking humans should go extinct though abstinence, or thinking taking a bunch of innocent people hostage would help promote your cause.

This
I'd really like to know just how these type of people ever manage to think this stuff. How do they make the jump from "this will save the planet" to "this is worth killing people for?" Like, do they not see any seemingly obvious problems with it, or do they think their idea far outweighs any?

Anyway, glad the hostages are safe. Shame the gunman had to die.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120534)
Posted by GEEWUN on September 2nd, 2010 @ 6:28am CDT
Shadowman wrote:
Sky-Quake wrote:hahahaha did I f###ing call it or what :D wonder if they got a head shot :twisted: mwhahahahahaha


I know the guy did bad things, but a human being getting killed is not funny.


Humans getting killed is not funny, but the death of this man probably was the safest way to release the hostages. Unless he had another badguy with him. At least everyone is alright, including the gunner.

1. One less polluting, scum-bag person breathing up the pure air of life
2. He officially stopped his own carbon footprint
3. He probably didn't leave any babies to steal what is rightfully mother-earth's.

Now don't get me wrong but I do believe in protecting the environment, but this dude just ain't helpin' dah CAUZ

AIN'T HELPIN' DAH CAUZ!!!
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120565)
Posted by noctorro on September 2nd, 2010 @ 8:11am CDT
Somehow I fail to see this being connected to the fact if we're ever going to get the 3 War For Cybertron seekers in toy form.

3 people hostage? And they're safe... And how many people were killed in Bagdad yesterday? Oh wait, that's different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I love to be corrected and most of the time I am wrong.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120567)
Posted by Blackstreak on September 2nd, 2010 @ 8:15am CDT
Yowzers! I had no idea this was even going on. Glad to hear the hostages are safe. It seems to me that was a fast solution, and I'm glad for it.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120568)
Posted by Blackstreak on September 2nd, 2010 @ 8:17am CDT
Delete please.
Re: Discovery Headquarters Hostage Crisis Over: Hostages Are Safe (1120605)
Posted by Shadowman on September 2nd, 2010 @ 10:00am CDT
GEEWUN wrote:
Shadowman wrote:
Sky-Quake wrote:hahahaha did I f###ing call it or what :D wonder if they got a head shot :twisted: mwhahahahahaha


I know the guy did bad things, but a human being getting killed is not funny.


Humans getting killed is not funny, but the death of this man probably was the safest way to release the hostages.


Oh, I'm not saying it was wrong to kill him. I'm saying it's wrong to laugh about it.

noctorro wrote:Somehow I fail to see this being connected to the fact if we're ever going to get the 3 War For Cybertron seekers in toy form.

3 people hostage? And they're safe... And how many people were killed in Bagdad yesterday? Oh wait, that's different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I love to be corrected and most of the time I am wrong.


Good news, you're wrong this time. A hostage situation is major news. And this is General Discussion, it doesn't have to deal with Transformers. Though it IS apparently related to Transformers in that the network the new series is going to be on was located at the same place.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Huffer Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Ironhide Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #273 - Our Way to Oblivion
Twincast / Podcast #273:
"Our Way to Oblivion"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Bundle Rare, Medix, Blades And Blurr Morbot Job Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Chief Charlie Burns Rescue Cutter Playskool Heroes" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Cloudraker" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Outback" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Arms Micron Shining Bumblebee Targetmaster Gun Minicon" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Earthrise Runabout WFC-E41 Target Exclusive " on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS CODY BURNS Figure, Rescue Axe Variant 2011." on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Overbite Takara Tomy Piranacon Seacon" on EBAY