Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show

Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show

Thursday, February 21st, 2019 6:34am CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Amelie   Views: 23,562

Seibertron member TrypticonCarne has linked us up to a Youtube video of newly revealed Generations Collaborative: Ghostbusters Ectotron's cameo in the TV show Goldbergs episode, "There Can Be Only One Highlander Club". Despite the glaring error of being 3 decades out of time, its an interesting plug for a sub-line toy like Ectotron and it gives us a good chance at seeing the actual scale of the toy. The video is viewable below, but can also be found on Ian Jone's Youtube.

You can view his reveal from our NY Toy Fair coverage here.

Has seeing this toy “in hand” (quite literally) pumped you up for is release or has the size put you off? Let us know what your thoughts are on this figure here at the Energon Pub on Seibertron.com!

Credit(s): Ian Jones Youtube, TrypticonCarne

Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011825)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on February 21st, 2019 @ 11:12am CST
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011826)
Posted by Amelie on February 21st, 2019 @ 11:23am CST
Carnivius_Prime wrote:eh, just as fake as everything else that tries to be 80s and retro I suppose. Not sure how they got one that early (meaning now before the release date, not 30 years ago as portrayed in the clip :P ) or why not just use an actual G1 toy? Maybe I'm missing the point of the video. I dunno.

The only time I could see a slip up like using a new toy working is if they do a Back To The Future Deloran Transformer...
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011827)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 21st, 2019 @ 11:24am CST
Amelie wrote:

I think they would have just used an old G1 toy... If Hasbro hadn't asked them for a product placement ;)
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011830)
Posted by Sarahthecutevixen on February 21st, 2019 @ 11:32am CST
Amelie wrote:

That is the only one i would accept
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011840)
Posted by leokearon on February 21st, 2019 @ 12:29pm CST
Amelie wrote:

So another Swindler toy
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011841)
Posted by william-james88 on February 21st, 2019 @ 12:34pm CST

Its just product placement
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011845)
Posted by Sarahthecutevixen on February 21st, 2019 @ 12:54pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

Its just product placement

Anachronistic product placement
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011903)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 21st, 2019 @ 7:04pm CST
I'm still just so happy this is a thing. It has me so filled with joy, and it's got the Ghostbusters theme running through my head now!

ya know, now I really want him to fit in the MP-10 Trailer so he can go with the MP-10/Ghostbusters crossover MP coming later this year
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011969)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on February 22nd, 2019 @ 7:28am CST
william-james88 wrote:

Its just product placement

Yeah, just a stupid ass product placement, why not use a G1 like someone else suggested?
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2011994)
Posted by no-one on February 22nd, 2019 @ 10:54am CST
Cyber Bishop wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Its just product placement
Especially considering there is a G1 Prime sitting on shelves right now and Optimus is always 100% recognizable. Non fans might even think that's a fake toy.

I've never heard of this show, but then again I haven't watched commercial TV in 10 or more years.
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2012021)
Posted by 1337W422102 on February 22nd, 2019 @ 1:09pm CST
Huh. The bio even teasingly mentions the fact he's a Hotspot remould. That's kind of clever.

I also want to extend my congratulations to Johnny216, who designed this character based on Cybertron Red Alert way back in 2005:

As thrilled as I am to see this (I never did end up making a custom based on Johnny's art), I really don't like the black knees and excess amount of white on Ectotron. The 'Busters don't wear kneepads, only elbowpads (and they're grey, no less), and if they just wanted to evoke the white military belt of the 'Busting suits, they could've just painted Ectotron's belt area in white.

Also, anyone seen the robot mode's pack? He's supposed to have some kind of Proton Pack accessory, but it just looks like the rooftop equipment rack ends up there. Has it been sculpted to have a cyclotron, or do they mean he just comes with a neutrona wand?
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2012044)
Posted by Emerje on February 22nd, 2019 @ 6:41pm CST
carytheone wrote:
Cyber Bishop wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Its just product placement

But the point isn't for Transformers product placement, it's for this specific figure. Then they can turn around and when this figure shows up at Gamestop they can advertise it as "as seen on the Goldbergs!" if they choose. And really, any transformer could have been used, but using one that came totally out of left field like Ectotron is something that will get people searching for info, a figure people have seen a million times isn't going to do that. They may not know if it's real, but they're definitely going to want to see for themselves. It's good advertising for the whole franchise.

Emerje
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2012360)
Posted by RodimusRex on February 25th, 2019 @ 1:53pm CST
The show itself is a deliberately anachronistic 1980s.

They addressed the Death of Optimus Prime in 1986 4 years ago and it’s not set in the 90s now.

In fact — and I’m not even a close follower of the show — I’m pretty sure that they cited deliberate anachronism as part of the show early on. They’ve referenced 80s events out of sequence, apparently intentionally. They’ve both indicated a desire to troll people about period accuracy and said that the show could go on for any length of time and still be set in the 80s.

A child could be conceived at the Ghostbusters premiere, grow up to watch Caddyshack in college, and die an old man at the premiere of Back to the Future.

It’s a fantasy universe where, effectively, it’s always been the 80s, will always be the 80s, things happen out of sequence, modern 80s nostalgia products (including t-shirts and toys) show up.

I don’t think this is sloppy. I do think it’s deliberate trolling on about three levels.
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2012566)
Posted by Emerje on February 27th, 2019 @ 7:22am CST
Emerje wrote:But the point isn't for Transformers product placement, it's for this specific figure. Then they can turn around and when this figure shows up at Gamestop they can advertise it as "as seen on the Goldbergs!" if they choose.

Why wait until Gamestop, they're doing it right on the front page of Pulse.

goldbergs.JPG

And yeah, it's back up for pre-order, but at the Gamestop price of $49.99.

Emerje
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2012567)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on February 27th, 2019 @ 7:59am CST
Emerje wrote:
And yeah, it's back up for pre-order, but at the Gamestop price of $49.99.

Emerje

That's weird, I swear I saw it back up at the original $39.99 yesterday. Still a pass for me at either price. If it was CW compatible that would be another story.
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2012598)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on February 27th, 2019 @ 2:36pm CST
Emerje wrote:

Why wait until Gamestop, they're doing it right on the front page of Pulse.

goldbergs.JPG

And yeah, it's back up for pre-order, but at the Gamestop price of $49.99.

Emerje

Wow, that was a real thing? I thought the guy was joking. He probably was but I guess it's real now lol.

:lol:
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2012634)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 27th, 2019 @ 6:00pm CST
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2012722)
Posted by no-one on February 28th, 2019 @ 8:33am CST
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:The price of this guy has been all over the place. On monday, Gamestop had pre-order prices down to $37.49 before rising back up today when Pulse put pre-orders back up. I think I'm gonna keep my Gamestop pre-order honestly, never used them before, but there's a first time for everything
Gamestop is fine, been using them for years for game related things. We could start another thread on their trade-in and used game price practices though.

I have a feeling the patient among us will be able to pick up Ectotron from GS at a discount.
Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2019340)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 18th, 2019 @ 7:13pm CDT
Thanks to YellaWolf Studios Product Photography, we have a bunch of new in-hand images of the upcoming Transformers x Ghostbusters exclusive Ectotron figure! Ectotron is a brand new character that transforms into Ecto-1, the classic Ghostbusters car of choice. He has engineering inspired by the Combiner Wars Hot Spot mold, though he has a bunch of unique tricks and parts to his toy.

He features a Proton Pack like back with the equipment from the top of the Ecto-1 car mode, and he also includes an awesome green Slimer figure to go with him. He is currently up for pre-order at Hasbro Pulse for $49.99, and is due out at the end of July.

Check out the images below, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Re: Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure Cameos in Goldbergs TV Show (2019356)
Posted by cloudballoon on April 18th, 2019 @ 9:53pm CDT
Ectotron looks great in both modes. Based on a good mold, good recreation of Ecto-1 in car mode and appropriate accessory! If I can find him in Canada I'll be very tempted to get them at MSRP. Not gonna have another chance for a TFxGB crossover toy at this quality (looking at you MP10 redeco).

Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Starscream & Waspinator" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PRIME BLIGHT Beast Hunters Cyberverse Legion 2013" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Kingdom WFC RHINOX Voyager 6 inch Action figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Voyager Decepticon Blitzwing complete w/extras" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Kingdom WFC RHINOX Voyager Figure IN HAND!! MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War 4 Cybertron Kingdom Voyager WFC-K27 Rhinox IN HAND" on EBAY