Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez

Transformers News: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez

Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 4:13AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 11,417

Via comics retailer on Facebook Stadium Comics, we have another variant cover to show you today, for the upcoming IDW Publishing Transformers Unicron mini-series - the one that will End the Universe, as far as these stories are concerned - made specifically for their store, courtesy of Alex Milne and Josh Perez.

And fans of old, be it Unicron, Transformers, or just jumping it with all the buzz, will recognise this one for sure from a poster for a certain 1986 movie. Check it out below, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub discussion boards!

YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH! We're excited to announce our next Stadium Exclusive Variant for TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON #1 by series artist Alex Milne, paying tribute to the poster art of the 1986 Transformers movie! Only 500 of these will be printed and pre-orders start at 11am eastern time June 13th at https://

Credit(s): Stadium Comics

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964728)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 13th, 2018 @ 5:28am CDT
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964730)
Posted by Randomhero on June 13th, 2018 @ 5:49am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I always find it funny when looking at the 1986 movie poster that the only glimpse of hot rod you get is in his rodimus prime winabago alt. Surprised no one then complained of bait and switch

The internet didn’t exist yet for grown men to complain about such things
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964746)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on June 13th, 2018 @ 8:00am CDT
I also like that Arcee is the only character duplicated in the same position.
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964761)
Posted by Randomhero on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:10am CDT
Rodimus Knight wrote:I'd like to get this cover, but I'm guessing it will be a costly pain in the butt to get.
I also like that Arcee is the only character duplicated in the same position.

You’ll find it easy on eBay. It won’t be very expensive.

This ain’t Dreamwave 2002 where certain covers were worth hundreds until the went under and now are pennies.

This is IDW. You’ll be able to find them on eBay for maybe $10-20 and that’s being extreme saying $20
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964767)
Posted by ScottyP on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:40am CDT
Randomhero wrote:
I also like that Arcee is the only character duplicated in the same position.

You’ll find it easy on eBay. It won’t be very expensive.

Yeah the expensive covers are things like the Casey Coller Sgt. Pepper homage cover to MTMTE 12 and his Bowie Ziggy Stardust one for RiD 12, and stuff like the Paul Pope OP and LL #1 covers which were 50 copy retailer incentive covers. That Shockwave wrap-around gatefold for Infiltration 0 was also expensive at one point but it may have come down.
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964768)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:43am CDT

I always thought it should have been the other way around. Have him start off as a Winnebago/VW Van and make Rodimus Prime the Futuristic muscle car. Really breaking with tradition. The Winnebago of Doom was always a terrible and pointless altmode. Not every Autobot leader needs to be a generic and boring truck.
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964795)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 13th, 2018 @ 11:06am CDT
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964810)
Posted by ScottyP on June 13th, 2018 @ 12:48pm CDT
Yeah when I was a kid the idea of Hot Rod getting buff and becoming Rodimus Prime was amazing. I remember always thinking the space winnebago was awesome. Being too young to see the show as it aired, the lack of access to Season 3 and the Rodimus Prime toy had me imagining him as, essentially, new Optimus but more of a Jedi Master Luke Skywalker type than OP.

I also thought for a long time he'd be able to carry cars back there, so take this as you will
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964812)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 13th, 2018 @ 12:52pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:They probably thought kids would take better if the new leader was a truck like prime (may also be why Ultra Magnus was a sub leader/second in command as he was also a truck like alt mode...it was a car carrier yes but how many other truck alt modes do the bots have like that?)

I mean I had all three back then, Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime. The Hot Rod toy looks so much better than Rodimus. Not to mention Ultra Magnus was probably the best G1 truck toy, even if he was a brick, as he was massive. I can only assume a "Sports truck" design was one of Floro Dery's. What he was on that day, who can say :-?
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964818)
Posted by ScottyP on June 13th, 2018 @ 1:05pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:

Oh totally, but I had only Hot Rod as a hand-me-down so the movie plus the catalogs not providing a sense of scale had me thinking the winnie was way cooler than it actually is. None of my old brother's friends had a Rodimus Prime though so I should have taken that as a sign!

Also, for the record, I would totally do drugs* with Floro Dery.

*this is highly conditional on which drug we're talking about
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964824)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 13th, 2018 @ 1:19pm CDT
Which does always bring up the age old issue that the toys were made before their roles were established. Hence why the bios for Galvatron and Ultra Magnus set them up as equals/rivals and the Rodimus toy was so tiny for a Leader.

Looking at the Floro concept art from the wiki and other sources, it was clearly The Hard Stuff :lol:
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964831)
Posted by bluecatcinema on June 13th, 2018 @ 2:01pm CDT
Another homage cover. Nice.
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1967097)
Posted by Va'al on June 27th, 2018 @ 5:42am CDT
For those of you who were unable to find a copy during Free Comic Book Day, the IDW Publishing issue #0 of Transformers: Unicron is now finally available as a free digital release over on online resource ComiXology!

As the first issue of the mini-series is due for release in July, this is a good time to catch up on the story as it begins - though be aware there are spoilers for the ongoing Optimus Prime series, too - and make sure to check out our review of the opening issue here.

Not a whimper, nor a bang-the end comes with a squall of entropy shrieking from the ravenous maw of death itself. The message is clear: Unicron has arrived. The Transformers lock into a desperate bid to save Rom's homeworld from the world-killer - but why has Unicron chosen this world on his path to Cybertron... and Earth? The biggest story in the history of Transformers starts now: for Unicron's arrival can mean nothing less than the end of a universe.

Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1967111)
Posted by ScottyP on June 27th, 2018 @ 8:53am CDT
Good book, glad it's out there more readily for folks that missed it on FCBD!
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1967123)
Posted by dragons on June 27th, 2018 @ 10:00am CDT
ScottyP wrote:Good book, glad it's out there more readily for folks that missed it on FCBD!

If I am going to get this book it will never be on free comic book day free comics on free comic book day are not worth paper they are printed on if you have Stan lee sign book on free comic book day book you be doing selling book for Stan lee autograph not book itself as comic book reader I never pick them up for my self unless I get them as gift from people who know me hat I like comics,.

I look forward buy trade paper back of this series
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1967134)
Posted by ScottyP on June 27th, 2018 @ 10:49am CDT
dragons wrote:

I look forward buy trade paper back of this series
Neat >:oP
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1967138)
Posted by Randomhero on June 27th, 2018 @ 10:54am CDT
dragons wrote:

I look forward buy trade paper back of this series

I didn’t understand a word of that but okay.
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1967139)
Posted by Big Grim on June 27th, 2018 @ 10:57am CDT

Glad this is now available. My local comic vendor is not able to get these!
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1967148)
Posted by MagicDeath on June 27th, 2018 @ 11:21am CDT
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1967169)
Posted by Randomhero on June 27th, 2018 @ 12:54pm CDT
MagicDeath wrote:Quick question: will I be able to enjoy this without being caught up with the main series? I kinda know what’s been going on in the IDW universe, but I haven’t even touched the OP series yet.

Can try. I mean it’s got a lot of references to stuff. I can’t imagine jumping in with this but for someone who’s media is the IDWverse I can’t imagine anyone being able to jump in anywhere but the start. Plenty of people do I guess with Death of Optimus Prime or post Dark Cybertron and I just can’t fathom how anyone would find it enjoyable.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #216 - Prime Galaxy
"Prime Galaxy"
Posted: Sunday, January 27th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5 Amazon Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Mirage Figure. Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Jetfire 30th Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron CLIFFJUMPER Wfc Deluxe Figure's GUN" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations DIRGE Missiles Part" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations DIRGE Deluxe Complete Jet" on EBAY
Buy "TransFormers Dark Of The Moon DOTM Autobot OPTIMUS PRIME + Comettor figure Excls" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Generations Voyager Class Autobot Drift Figure" on EBAY