Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez

Transformers News: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez

Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 4:13AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 9,383

Via comics retailer on Facebook Stadium Comics, we have another variant cover to show you today, for the upcoming IDW Publishing Transformers Unicron mini-series - the one that will End the Universe, as far as these stories are concerned - made specifically for their store, courtesy of Alex Milne and Josh Perez.

And fans of old, be it Unicron, Transformers, or just jumping it with all the buzz, will recognise this one for sure from a poster for a certain 1986 movie. Check it out below, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub discussion boards!

YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH! We're excited to announce our next Stadium Exclusive Variant for TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON #1 by series artist Alex Milne, paying tribute to the poster art of the 1986 Transformers movie! Only 500 of these will be printed and pre-orders start at 11am eastern time June 13th at https://

Credit(s): Stadium Comics
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964728)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 13th, 2018 @ 5:28am CDT
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964730)
Posted by Randomhero on June 13th, 2018 @ 5:49am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I always find it funny when looking at the 1986 movie poster that the only glimpse of hot rod you get is in his rodimus prime winabago alt. Surprised no one then complained of bait and switch

The internet didn’t exist yet for grown men to complain about such things
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964746)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on June 13th, 2018 @ 8:00am CDT
I also like that Arcee is the only character duplicated in the same position.
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964761)
Posted by Randomhero on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:10am CDT
Rodimus Knight wrote:I'd like to get this cover, but I'm guessing it will be a costly pain in the butt to get.
I also like that Arcee is the only character duplicated in the same position.

You’ll find it easy on eBay. It won’t be very expensive.

This ain’t Dreamwave 2002 where certain covers were worth hundreds until the went under and now are pennies.

This is IDW. You’ll be able to find them on eBay for maybe $10-20 and that’s being extreme saying $20
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964767)
Posted by ScottyP on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:40am CDT
Randomhero wrote:
I also like that Arcee is the only character duplicated in the same position.

You’ll find it easy on eBay. It won’t be very expensive.

Yeah the expensive covers are things like the Casey Coller Sgt. Pepper homage cover to MTMTE 12 and his Bowie Ziggy Stardust one for RiD 12, and stuff like the Paul Pope OP and LL #1 covers which were 50 copy retailer incentive covers. That Shockwave wrap-around gatefold for Infiltration 0 was also expensive at one point but it may have come down.
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964768)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 13th, 2018 @ 9:43am CDT

I always thought it should have been the other way around. Have him start off as a Winnebago/VW Van and make Rodimus Prime the Futuristic muscle car. Really breaking with tradition. The Winnebago of Doom was always a terrible and pointless altmode. Not every Autobot leader needs to be a generic and boring truck.
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964795)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 13th, 2018 @ 11:06am CDT
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964810)
Posted by ScottyP on June 13th, 2018 @ 12:48pm CDT
Yeah when I was a kid the idea of Hot Rod getting buff and becoming Rodimus Prime was amazing. I remember always thinking the space winnebago was awesome. Being too young to see the show as it aired, the lack of access to Season 3 and the Rodimus Prime toy had me imagining him as, essentially, new Optimus but more of a Jedi Master Luke Skywalker type than OP.

I also thought for a long time he'd be able to carry cars back there, so take this as you will
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964812)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 13th, 2018 @ 12:52pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:They probably thought kids would take better if the new leader was a truck like prime (may also be why Ultra Magnus was a sub leader/second in command as he was also a truck like alt mode...it was a car carrier yes but how many other truck alt modes do the bots have like that?)

I mean I had all three back then, Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime. The Hot Rod toy looks so much better than Rodimus. Not to mention Ultra Magnus was probably the best G1 truck toy, even if he was a brick, as he was massive. I can only assume a "Sports truck" design was one of Floro Dery's. What he was on that day, who can say :-?
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964818)
Posted by ScottyP on June 13th, 2018 @ 1:05pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:

Oh totally, but I had only Hot Rod as a hand-me-down so the movie plus the catalogs not providing a sense of scale had me thinking the winnie was way cooler than it actually is. None of my old brother's friends had a Rodimus Prime though so I should have taken that as a sign!

Also, for the record, I would totally do drugs* with Floro Dery.

*this is highly conditional on which drug we're talking about
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964824)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 13th, 2018 @ 1:19pm CDT
Which does always bring up the age old issue that the toys were made before their roles were established. Hence why the bios for Galvatron and Ultra Magnus set them up as equals/rivals and the Rodimus toy was so tiny for a Leader.

Looking at the Floro concept art from the wiki and other sources, it was clearly The Hard Stuff :lol:
Re: Exclusive Variant Cover for IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 by Milne and Perez (1964831)
Posted by bluecatcinema on June 13th, 2018 @ 2:01pm CDT
Another homage cover. Nice.
Transformers products from AMAZON