Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream

Extensive In Hand Galleries of  MP -11 Starscream

Friday, March 30th, 2012 9:19am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Reviews, Collectables
Posted by: GetRightRobot   Views: 40,353

There is a large collection of in hand pictures of the New Masterpiece - 11 Starscream that examines the many changes made to the original MP Starscream, now online. The photographs detail the new features of the toy and they go beyond a new tail fin assembly. Alfes 2010 has posted multiple galleries showcasing the new paint, head, weapon system and coronation kit with tons of pics and comparisons to the first MP SS and MP - 10 Optimus prime. Some of the images have been mirrored below but I encourage anyone on the fence to visit these thorough and informative galleries from Alfes 2010 on higekumatoytoy.blog:

Packaging and Jet Mode
Robot mode and Articulation
Coronation Kit
Comparison to orignal MP SS

Credit(s): Alfes2010 from higekumatoytoy.blog

Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363939)
Posted by Dark Ops on March 30th, 2012 @ 9:28am CDT
So no more hip binders (to use a Gundam term) at the cost of more exposed robot kibble in jet mode. Is it me or is the head on the new one slightly larger?

*edit* It's not a bad figure IMO. But I'm not sure what to think of the exposed ball joints on the fuselage sides.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363941)
Posted by GetRightRobot on March 30th, 2012 @ 9:39am CDT
I think this will come down to personal preference. The jet mode is more realistic on the original. And even a little "cleaner" as Dark Ops pointed out. For me, Robot mode reigns supreme when debating a purchase. I love the lighter, brighter colors and I never picked up the 3rd P. Coronation kit for the first one, so I'm all in!
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363953)
Posted by TimothyR on March 30th, 2012 @ 10:04am CDT
i wish whoever took these photos would've pushed the intakes forward in robot mode.. makes him look a lot better.

anyways. i'm all in for this. grey starscream will always beat out white starscream. especially with the light blue. it's perfect.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363955)
Posted by Dean ML on March 30th, 2012 @ 10:06am CDT
Man, what a huge improvement on the robot mode. Ever since MP Grimlock, the robot modes have been kicking ass. I love their organic, streamlined aesthetic compared to the earlier "stack of blocks" look of the first few MPs.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363959)
Posted by alldarker on March 30th, 2012 @ 10:14am CDT
I really wish I could like this newer version, but in my opinion, he's like a juniorized Masterpiece, comparable to the Hasbro versions of the Takara Masterpieces (although ironically, with this figure this has now become the standard for Takara!).

I don't like the plastic-y color on him: and I feel that Takara are leaning more on the 'toy-value' of this item than on the 'display-value' (and I'm guessing they are banking on a cheaper 'translation' to a future Hasbro release). Same thing happened to Binaltech (before that fizzled out).

Economically, it's probably a good idea but, as a fan of highly detailed Japanese toys like the Yamato 1/60 Macross figures, to me this seems a step backwards in the 'Masterpiece' aspect.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363968)
Posted by Fistful of Energon on March 30th, 2012 @ 10:38am CDT
A thing of beauty

I just hope they didnt use that softer plastic
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363971)
Posted by DevastaTTor on March 30th, 2012 @ 10:48am CDT
I like the look of the new version a lot-saw it up close in Singapore. I just don't like the lack of ankle articulation. No excuse for that when the iGear version has it.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363976)
Posted by Optimus1116 on March 30th, 2012 @ 11:16am CDT
I can't tell if MP-11 still has the elbow pistons :-(
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363979)
Posted by Optimus1116 on March 30th, 2012 @ 11:20am CDT
Nvm, found it: Image

I'm glad they kept them :D
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363980)
Posted by metaphorge on March 30th, 2012 @ 11:29am CDT
MP-11's new, simplistic paint job looks cheap.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363983)
Posted by paul053 on March 30th, 2012 @ 11:41am CDT
Starscream's courage rating is at 9!? :???: :-? Since when he is that brave.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1363998)
Posted by metaphorge on March 30th, 2012 @ 12:29pm CDT
paul053 wrote:Starscream's courage rating is at 9!? :???: :-? Since when he is that brave.

Since he looked so cheap.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1364007)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on March 30th, 2012 @ 1:20pm CDT
So again, I think I'am in the minority that's actually going to buy this. Why? Well honestly that's the only Mp figure that's appealing to me.........
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1364018)
Posted by TimothyR on March 30th, 2012 @ 2:18pm CDT
metaphorge wrote:MP-11's new, simplistic paint job looks cheap.

i'd MUCH rather have a more "simplistic" "cheap" paint job as long as it's accurate to what the figure is trying to portray.. which, in this case, it is.

i certainly don't think it look cheap, in my opinion i think it looks way more crisp and less dull than the US release of the figure.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1364022)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 30th, 2012 @ 2:58pm CDT
I do feel that the one thing this version is lacking is paint detail. Does it come with a sticker sheet, or not? The intakes on his shoulders look especially plain compared to the first version. I also would have like them to keep the face-swap gimmick, since his smirk was one of the best things about him.

Otherwise this figure is a huge step up. The addition of heelspurs is especially ingenious.

Of course, all the improvements are what should've been done in the first place, so I have somewhat mixed feelings...still on my want list though, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it unless they do a Hasbro release. I would like to see a Thundercracker repaint without the Coronation Gear.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1364049)
Posted by Gorechyld on March 30th, 2012 @ 4:36pm CDT
Yeeeeeah I was feeling this thing up until I saw all that shitty boring grey plastic. Regardless of the improvements it bears, it looks like that "stock" MP Starscream that you could get from Takara. And I'm seriously not ok with that...pass. >:oP
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1364052)
Posted by Optimus1116 on March 30th, 2012 @ 4:44pm CDT
You know, although this was an improvement... I think that the best lag mod would be the old legs with the tailfins modified *and the foot swivel being a ratchet instead of a hinge (with a heal). Just a thought.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1364065)
Posted by User897 on March 30th, 2012 @ 5:30pm CDT
It's a real shame that Takara didn't do a black wash to show the high levels of detail in this mold like the first release. Not being able to see the rivets, intakes, seams, and other gadgetry ruins the work that went into making those details to begin with. It looks like an incomplete figure with so much flat grey. For the Masterpiece series, it's all in the details! I like the updates, but not enough to buy it and/or put away the first version.

Again, Takara misses the mark and comes out looking cheap, although their prices say otherwise.
Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1364083)
Posted by Optimus1116 on March 30th, 2012 @ 6:39pm CDT
I'd just like to throw it out there that the mold may still have the problem where the cockpit doesn't peg into the waist. In this picture, it clearly isn't because of the lopsided pecks. Only time will tell :-(

I'd also like to mention that when looking at the prototype pics, you can tell that the hands are unchanged. This means that Shapeways hands are still compatible! :D

Re: Extensive In Hand Galleries of MP -11 Starscream (1364097)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 30th, 2012 @ 7:20pm CDT
The cockpit was never really intended to 'peg in', per se, there are no pegs to allow it to do so. It's held in by the nosecone pegging onto the rear panel and the 'codpiece' underneath the cockpit. Unless by problem you mean 'it wasn't designed that way' as opposed to an actual flaw in the mold.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 Thundercracker near complete in good condition not reissue" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Quickshadow" on EBAY
Buy "Mint Used Decepticon Berserker, Transformers The Last Knight Premier Edition " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide Blue Boat VHTF Retired" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Daca Toys Kronos" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Leader DOUBLEDEALER  NIB NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide" on EBAY