First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs

First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs

Friday, August 14th, 2015 11:23pm CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 37,859

The 4th wave of Combiner War appeared at retail without warning even before the online retailers could send out their products. This was a pleasant surprise for fans who like the hunt and one such lucky fan, Seibertron's own Cobotron, has given us both a rundown of his impression on these versions of the molds as well as beautiful comparison shots with their previous CHUG incarnations.

Cobotron wrote:From most fav, to least.
1. Mirage
2. Prowl
3. Sunstreaker
4. Ironhide (although the mold is still one of my favs from the line)

Transformers News: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs

[about Prowl]
The mold looks really good in this deco, and the paint is nicely applied. Plus prowl and Streetwise can now walk the beat together keeping the mean streets free of crime.

[about Sunstreaker]To me the Classics Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold's use of foresight to achieve two distinctly different results from the same figure is one of the smartest designs Has/Tak has ever developed. I do like this CW alt mode better. If nothing else it looks more like the '80s Countach the character originated from. One thing I like about the CW Sunstreaker is the bottom heaviness and bulk of his legs reminds me of the G1 toy and how clunky his legs were. Except now he has knees! ;)^

[about Ironhide]As much as the Classics Hide is disliked, I've never hated him. His alt mode is a mess, as is his transformation, but IMO his bot mode saves the day. He just looks so dam BAD ARSK!!! This CW Hide just seems scrawny, and the head sculpt is kind of weak. He makes a fantastic arm or leg though.

I will admit, I am really starting to feel the mold fatigue from this line, but this wave of deluxes and wave 1 Prime fulfills a childhood dream. I used to lay my G1 Autobots out on the floor on their backs and configure them into an Autobot Combiner. I would even use my brothers Predaking feet and fists to complete the puzzle. I am elated that that combiner can now stand up, and fight the good fight!

Credit(s): cobotron

Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718270)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 14th, 2015 @ 11:44pm CDT
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718271)
Posted by Fox Thiagarajan on August 14th, 2015 @ 11:46pm CDT
I really love the molds for the characters. I hope I can track these guys down. Thanks for the pics C. :BOWDOWN:
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718272)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on August 15th, 2015 @ 12:38am CDT
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718276)
Posted by Flashwave on August 15th, 2015 @ 1:15am CDT
I have a Sergent Kup figure I intended to paint as the yellow Turbomaster Dude, and with it a spare pair of Blaster Cannons. With any luck, they'll fit on the Offroad Mold painlessly. If so, that's reason 1 for getting this mold, a good Classics Ironhide with the yellow stripe, a solid truck bed, and his cannons.
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718280)
Posted by albnok on August 15th, 2015 @ 1:54am CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:I just picked up the '84 Autobot limbs from my local Target today (along with Legends Rodimus and Skywarp). I've transformed them all back and forth several times, building up Optimus Maximus (using the wave 1 red Prime) and breaking him up again. It's good fun. The truck cab torso IS the weakest of the three models so far, but I was able to get Optimus Maximus to stand with a fair bit of stability just from the official transformation set-up. Pro-Tip: save that clear rubber band that comes with Rodimus to hold him on as a chest piece. Optimus Maximus has the same problem that Menasor had with holding on to Blackjack (e.g., it doesn't hold at all).

Battle Core Optimus Prime fixes the waist problem though. Also I think the combined robot is named based on the torso - so your red Optimus Prime makes what you have, Ultra Prime. Which is why even with 3 Aerialbot limbs, Optimus Prime's box does not say it's Superion.
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718288)
Posted by Thadicon on August 15th, 2015 @ 3:27am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Nemesis Destron wrote:Will Takara possibly release these guys??

I got my hands on Ironhide today but if it turns out Takara will in fact release Ironhide and the rest then I will hold off on opening it up. :VEHI:

Yes, they confirmed they are releasing them.

Hellscream9999 wrote:
Thadicon wrote:This is a bit of a random question about the new Buzzsaw that is coming out but what is the mode with the wheels supposed to be?

Like He turns into a tablet and bird mode but what is the other mode supposed to be? A skateboard or something?

A taser on wheels, so he can irritate :CON:'s by poking their ankles, obvoiusly #-o

It was referred to as a "tank mode" (cough cough)

Really is that what Hasbro said it was? a tank mode?
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718295)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on August 15th, 2015 @ 6:12am CDT
All of them have their distinctive chest designs replaced by those ugly combiner pegs. Sunstreaker looks the worst of them in my opinion. Prowl's not far behind. It's just far too obvious they were never meant for these characters. Nothing memorable about these molds at all.
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718298)
Posted by Noideaforaname on August 15th, 2015 @ 7:33am CDT
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718300)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 15th, 2015 @ 7:46am CDT
Hellscream9999 wrote:Has anyone else realize that the tabs on the side of breakdown/sunstreakers hand-foot gun can be slid down the sides of the bot mode back kibble (hard to explain, saw in vangelus' review) apparently it yields a more sunstreaker look; I think it will at any rate.

I did see that in a review for Streaker. Didn't realize it but it does look the figures look tons better :BOT:
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718301)
Posted by william-james88 on August 15th, 2015 @ 7:55am CDT
Thadicon wrote:
Really is that what Hasbro said it was? a tank mode?

Yes, if i recall correctly.

Noideaforaname wrote:Those comparison shots make me miss clear plastic parts. Sure most of the time you'd just see a jumble of robutts and whatnot, but it gave the illusion of being made of different material, which was pretty cool.

Clear Plastic is alive and strong in the Robots in disguise line :) I recomend you get that Drift!
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718311)
Posted by Rated X on August 15th, 2015 @ 9:30am CDT
Wow these Repaint Wars figures are like the ultimate downgrade. I already knew I wouldnt be buying these, but these comparison shots really put the nail in the coffin. For $10-20 more you can get the real deal Universe/Generations figures on e-bay. I would encourage everybody to let these things shelf warm to send a message to Hasbro not to go this route again. Victorion is cool, but these repaints are a joke.
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718315)
Posted by Alpha Dominus on August 15th, 2015 @ 9:49am CDT
Wow. The more I see of these figures the less I'm inclined to buy them. Message to Hasbro: Shoehorning new heads onto previously-used molds over and over again is not the way to maintain the brand.
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718317)
Posted by Absolute Zero on August 15th, 2015 @ 10:24am CDT
Can Prowl roll, or does his chest piece pegs get in the way in alt mode like on the previous mold?
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718322)
Posted by Editor on August 15th, 2015 @ 10:46am CDT
As I already plan to just display these guys in gestalt mode any issues for their bot looks can be ignored.

That said they will be sitting for a while as I plan to have Prime paired with Ironhide, Trailbreaker, Prowl and Hound. That way Sky Reign will be a speed team with Mirage, Wheeljack, Smokescreen and Sunstreaker.

At least that's my plan up to the point they tell us if they are releasing a wave with the missing 4 from '84. If they do that then I'd swap Sunstreaker with Jazz, Prowl with Ratchet and have the Lambo and Fairlady twins on the 3rd "original" combiner.
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718326)
Posted by Nemesis Destron on August 15th, 2015 @ 10:52am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Nemesis Destron wrote:Will Takara possibly release these guys??

Yes, they confirmed they are releasing them.

Excellent, thanks for that word WJ. Looks like it's back to the peg for you Ironhide IF your Takara counterpart is superior. :VEHI:
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718327)
Posted by CrankyOldTruck on August 15th, 2015 @ 10:52am CDT

Since I have the Legends Class Optimus Prime that came out prior to the CW line I'm just using him instead of Rodimus. It's not as eye wrenching as the Huffer repaint and it makes for a less "Menasor repaint" look. If you have that figure, I'd recommend going that route instead.
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718330)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on August 15th, 2015 @ 10:57am CDT
albnok wrote:

I'll call my plastic robots anything I want, thank you very much! [-(

;)
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718338)
Posted by no-one on August 15th, 2015 @ 12:00pm CDT

Yes, if I'm remebering correctly; it goes in thumb out with the thumb folded up and to the side a bit. Tucks in nice and tight.
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718348)
Posted by Seibertron on August 15th, 2015 @ 1:15pm CDT
mooncake623 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Well, this certainly looks more like G1 Mirage than Classics Mirage did (not my pic, BTW):

Just needs his arms (or at least his hands) swapped.

would it still transform correctly if you pop out the arms and swap it? hmm..

I thought this looked so amazing and made Mirage look much more like "Mirage", so I bought an extra Combiner Wars Mirage last night at Target so that I could pop out the pins on his hands, swap them, and do this right. I also used some mounting putty to create a new "peg hole" in the space above the actual peg hole so that the front of the car will sit lower to give his head more clearance. Pics in a moment.
Re: First impressions and comparison shots for Combiner Wars Wave 4 autobot limbs (1718349)
Posted by Seibertron on August 15th, 2015 @ 1:20pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:
mooncake623 wrote:

Just needs his arms (or at least his hands) swapped.

would it still transform correctly if you pop out the arms and swap it? hmm..

And here are my pics! Thanks to whoever Saberblade borrowed a pic from originally. Please provide credit so that I can properly credit that person. Thanks!

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots BRUSHFIRE ATV & Optimus Prime Truck" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Fireplug Transformer Dog New" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bot Bumblebee Rescue Guard 2017 Hasbro Work" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return SKULLSMASHER & GRAX Deluxe Class Hasbro New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Voyager Brainstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Autobot Headmaster Retro G1 Re-Issue Brainstorm Figure" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G1 Headmaster Reissue WEIRDWOLF Brand New! Walmart Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "NIGHTBIRD - TRANSFORMERS WAR FOR CYBERTRON - GENERATIONS SELECTS w/box" on EBAY