First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow

First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow

Wednesday, December 9th, 2020 10:21am CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 19,378

The Forbidden Planet website has uploaded new images for their Retro Headmasters reissue listings. These are the second wave of the reissues coming to Walmart (and different exclusive retailers, depending the country). The wave consists of Highbrow, Wierdwolf and Skullcruncher. These are the Titans Returns molds with different decos and the heads found on the Takara versions. So there is something new to them aside from the fancy G1 styled boxes they come in. Hopefully the breakage issue on Wierdwolf is fixed though that is yet to be seen. Both the Hasbro and Takara releases had the same breakage issue.

Transformers News: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and HIghbrow

Credit(s): Forbidden Planet

Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089380)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 9th, 2020 @ 12:13pm CST
Does Scullcruncher have a clear pilot cockpit door?
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089382)
Posted by aronjlove on December 9th, 2020 @ 12:18pm CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:Does Scullcruncher have a clear pilot cockpit door?

It definitely looks translucent. I wonder what material it is since TR Skullcruncher and Krok has a rubber door with Skullcruncher's being solid green and Krok's is translucent yellow.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089383)
Posted by Solipsist on December 9th, 2020 @ 12:23pm CST
As a kid I had many TF toys including Headmaster Highbrow. I was going to try to find the TITANS RETURN release of Highbrow but missed out and by the time I was looking for it the price at most sites had listed it at almost $40 so I passed on it. I hope I can find this new reissue of TITANS RETURN version of him. At least I am looking each day for when it is scheduled to be released. I don't want to miss him again, especially if its in the classic-G1-style-boxes and hopefully a little bit less expensive this time around. I am also looking for Chromedome and his "kissing Cousin", Getaway. I had the G1 Getaway figure although he was NOT a Headmaster then. Getaway was originally one of the G1 deluxe POWERMASTERS. I had a few TARGETMASTERS too but the Headmasters were my favorite gimmick as seeing the "transtectors" with no head was just awesome to me. The Powermasters were like my second favorite gimmick. I stopped collecting G1 back then as they came out with the Micromasters which I really did like, but the PRETENDERS line and the ACTIONMASTERS' line were just uninteresting to me. ;)^ :DAFT-PUNK-GM: :DAFT-PUNK-HAPPY:
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089385)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 9th, 2020 @ 12:29pm CST
Happy hunting and let's hope this line is not really an exclusive. Meaning being available from other online retailers at the normal retail price.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089390)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 9th, 2020 @ 1:02pm CST
aronjlove wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:Does Scullcruncher have a clear pilot cockpit door?

The Takara Legends version had the same rubbery plastic material used for its door as the Hasbro version, and was translucent too.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089394)
Posted by Solipsist on December 9th, 2020 @ 1:28pm CST
Logical. I didn't think of that but she's right.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089423)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on December 9th, 2020 @ 3:41pm CST
Changes in material between redecos (like ABS to PVC or vinyl) has rarely happened, if ever. If anything, the rubbery parts are made even softer, BUT that may be a good thing for Weirdwolf as the cockpit window is that rubbery plastic that doesn't move well along joints. That forces the solid cockpit frame outward when it's full closed, causing many if not all to snap off.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089428)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 9th, 2020 @ 3:52pm CST
The saving grace is that the soft plastic itself doesn't break so easily, so it holds things together.

I wonder if that plastic could have been avoided by having blunter tooth tips. That's the whole reason the Weirdwolf and Skullcruncher molds use soft plastic in the first place, is the teeth.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089529)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 10th, 2020 @ 10:21am CST
Of all the headmasters, I think Highbrow might be the one I get here. He looks really nice to me. I already have all 7 in TR form, but Highbrow is nice enough I want him again if I see him
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089530)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on December 10th, 2020 @ 10:33am CST
I also have all 7 from TR. The only ones that are maybe for me are Highbrow, Skullcrusher and WeirdWolf. But my interest in all 3 are dependent on QC issues from TR being fixed. For Weirdwolf the canopy and Skullcrusher the hips. For Highbrow, mine has a bobble head and extremely loose wrists.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089544)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on December 10th, 2020 @ 1:16pm CST
I had all from Titans Return but I sold off the TR versions as I replaced them with the Legends versions except the beasts. I might go for these now if they're cheap and easy to find.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2089553)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on December 10th, 2020 @ 2:26pm CST
I know I want Highbrow, Chromedome and the beasts, but don't know if I should double-dip on Brainstorm and Hardhead. I have the mouthplated TR ones (with Furos' head slightly chipped, a common fault), I guess it depends on finances. :-?

Hoping for a Jumpstarter 2-pack!
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2093064)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 18th, 2021 @ 4:18pm CST
Greetings Seibertronians! For all those looking forward to the Walmart Exclusive Transformers Headmasters, we've got great news as thanks to twitter user, @RoboMonsterNerd, we've now had a sighting that these toys are at retail!

These toys were spotted at a Walmart in Michigan.

Thats not all folks, thanks to fellow Seibertron users, and toy reviewers, Lore Keeper and Soundwave8084, we have reviews for most of the wave!

We've embedded the reviews for your convenience:

Chromedome

Brainwave

Hardhead

One thing to remember about these figures is that although they come in G1 style boxes, these are not reissues, but instead Titans Returns Deluxe figures with new decos.

What do you think of these figures, have you bought any already? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews!
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2093065)
Posted by Quantum Surge on January 18th, 2021 @ 4:33pm CST
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2093087)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on January 18th, 2021 @ 11:23pm CST
Quantum Surge wrote:I own Mindwipe since he was the only one that was available on the site. I know the original TR Mindwipe had PVC wing problems, but does the same apply for the Legends version and Convobat?

I have yet to see reports on his redecos/Japanese release breaking, but I'm chalking that up to people being more careful with those. Weirdwolf has the same type of issue with his cockpit window with both the TR and Legends release.

For the uninitiated: the cockpit window piece on TR Wolfwire/Weirdwolf, and the wingtips, head and back wings on TR Mindwipe are made of a soft rubbery plastic. The problem here is that soft plastic has a hard time moving around joints, putting a rough grip on where it attaches on the pins. Over time, the joints get so stiff it's easy to break the (weakened) hard plastic housing of those pins from the forces exerted in all directions.

The Weirdwolf one was known early om, but Mindwipe's stems FROM LAST YEAR. :shock:
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2093088)
Posted by SGMLordMirage on January 18th, 2021 @ 11:31pm CST
So I guess I can do this under the correct forum. Apparently I got severely confused but nevertheless I saw Hardhead and Brainstorm at a local Walmart in Mo.
I do love the G1 package look.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2093136)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 19th, 2021 @ 3:48pm CST
Greetings Seibertronians! Following on from yesterday's sightings and video reviews, fellow Seibertron user, Lore Keeper, has sent over a link to the last toy in Wave 1, Mindwipe!

As before, this is not a reissue of the original Mindwipe Headmaster from the 1987 Generation 1 toyline. Instead this is a redeco'ed Titan's Returns version of the character. Featuring a deco different from the previous versions of the two past releases of this toy. Mindwipes Decepticon Headmaster allies will be released along with the Autobot Headmaster Highbrow.

We have embedded the review below for your convenience:

Will you be picking up this Decepticon? Or are you happy enough with one of this molds past releases? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews!
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2093223)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on January 20th, 2021 @ 5:21pm CST
You know... I know people are wondering why Skullcruncher's cockpit hatch and Weirdwolf's cockpit windows are that soft plastic. I have a better question: why did they choose those pieces to be gang-molded with the teeth?
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2093482)
Posted by Nemesis Primal on January 23rd, 2021 @ 3:05pm CST
So I haven't been on this thread for a few pages, because the only figure in both waves so far that maybe interests me is Mindwipe, and even then, I'm not going to go out of my way to look for him.

BUT.

This image has been floating around since sometime yesterday:
Headmaster leak maybe.jpg
And I am VERY curious to see what people here think about it. On one hand, these would be the first new figures in this line, the fact that they seem to have just grabbed an Arcee-colored Chromedome boxart off Deviantart is a bit sketch, and what mold would they even use for Armada Sideways. On the other, this feels veeery similar to the PotP leak (where they just used old images/art to display figures that weren't done yet), they've done new-mold exclusives in the past (PotP Punch/CP, SS Leadfoot, etc), and they did release two other UT references/updates semi-recently in Siege/Selects (and a third one was supposed to come with Sky Lynx before getting cut).

Thoughts? I honestly would love for this to be real just for Sideways alone.
Re: First Look at Headmasters Reissues Wierdwolf, Skullcruncher and Highbrow (2093486)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on January 23rd, 2021 @ 3:36pm CST
Arcee, Fangry and Armada Sideways? :-?

Dunno what to think, but the Blurr retool Arcee is in the cards, if true. Maybe a Monsterbot retool for Fangry (maybe Grotusque) with Squeezeplay using Repugnus in the future. Sideways... Outside of a straight reissue of the Armada figure (what a disappointment that would be) I'm blank on that one.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "1980 Transformers Takara Hasbro G1 CLIFFJUMPER Action Figure Minibot complete" on EBAY
Buy "Autotech Combiners Transformers Crusher Stalker Striker Nitro Spike OSF 1999" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Megatronus And Optimus Prime Toys R Us Year?" on EBAY
Buy "4 Transformers Cyberverse Power Of The Spark Hot Rod ~Jazz~Bumblebee~Skybyte~" on EBAY
Buy "Flame Toys Kuro Kara Kuri - TARN - Transformers *** USA SELLER ***" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS UK G1 ADVENTURE GAME BOOK, HIGHWAY CLASH – 1980’S" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Battle for Cybertron 3 Sharkticons Attack Hotrod Figures" on EBAY
Buy "TAKARA HASBRO TRANSFORMERS G1 SCRAPPER SERIES2 NO CANOPY STAMPED 80 84 JAPAN1985" on EBAY