Thursday, May 24th, 2018 8:30am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 15,766

And to think some thought the Masterpiece line was slowing down. Well, not only did we get a slew of announcements recently, but in the same magazine which gave us our first look at the upcoming Mastepriece Beast Wars Megatron's beast mode, we also got two additional reveals.
We finally get our first full look at MP10-G, which is the gold version of the Masterpiece Optimus Prime mold. We see that it is indeed fully golden and not simply MP10 with gold highlights ala Year of the Horse Prime.
We also get our very first images of the upcoming third version of Masterpiece Optimus Prime, which many fans are referring to as MP Prime 3.0. We see part of his chest and shoulder along with a part of his upper leg. More on this will be seen at the Tokyo Toy Show. For now, take a look at the image below brought to us by Lee on Twitter.

Transformers News: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0

Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961325)
Posted by NTESHFT on May 24th, 2018 @ 8:52am CDT
Am I the only one looking forward to the possible 3.0 version? If it's going to be more cartoon accurate, I'm in. I need a new,one since the one I have now has a,defect that shows up in bot mode....
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961330)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on May 24th, 2018 @ 9:33am CDT
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961335)
Posted by Lore Keeper on May 24th, 2018 @ 9:58am CDT
I'm a bit disappointed they're doing yet another MP Prime. The MP 10 is more than serviceable. I'd much rather see the resources go toward a new character, especially one that people have been asking for. But, Optimus sells like hot cakes, so I can't blame them for trying to make money.
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961349)
Posted by dragons on May 24th, 2018 @ 10:35am CDT
MagicDeath wrote:I don’t have a lot of MPs, but from what I hear (WJ’s lists), a new mold could be a vey good thing. So, even if I don’t get it, I am looking forward to it as well.

It’s good figure. But have same. Figure. With some misifcations to it to have another prime to be released that is not another another countless repaint or same figure. I like to see something new for once no repaints is a lot to ask for
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961364)
Posted by AutobotAlvaron on May 24th, 2018 @ 11:32am CDT
MP Optimus V3 is most likely to be the best G1 Cartoon-accurate one ever! I still love my MP10 & MP01/MP04. They each have their strengths & weaknesses; MP01 has the best size, features, & homages the G1-toy, while MP10 blends a lot of the cartoon's "Heroic Proportions" with some classic details. V3 looks to be purely cartoon based, but I hope it still has chrome parts instead of gray or white plastic. I expect it to resemble the old MetalForce vinyl figure in size & body proportions (tfwiki.net/wiki/File:MetalforceConvoy.jpg) or the Hard Hero statue (tfwiki.net/wiki/File:HHero_OptimusStatue.jpg). Only time will tell, but I bet he'll pass the $200.00 mark. :-(
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961367)
Posted by Evil Eye on May 24th, 2018 @ 12:11pm CDT
Well on the plus side, MP-10 should drop in price now...I hope...

I know I've prattled on about this a million times but I really don't care for the new direction the MP line is taking, and Prime 3.0 is the epitome of that. MP-10, design wise, looked nigh-on perfect from every angle. Sure, he wasn't 100% faithful to the cartoon model (mainly the legs and surface detail) but he looked good, and he was never meant to be 100% cartoon-accurate; none of the "golden age" MPs were. I can't find the quote right now but Hasui went on record as saying the whole point of the MP line was meant to be the perfect toy of the character, not the perfect representation of the cartoon model, and that the design was influenced by the cartoon, the toy, the vehicle and what would just look good whilst still being unmistakably recognizable as the character. Hence why Prime had things like the IDW-original gun storage, which he never had in the cartoon but certainly didn't take anything away from the figure. Similar story with Sideswipe- Not 100% cartoon accurate but a damn fine toy and instantly recognizable as Sideswipe.

I'm deeply worried that this new Prime is going to be dreadfully uninspired. On the plus side I don't think they're likely to make the transformation nightmarishly complex like Megatron (Prime's conversion is pretty simple and established) but I have a horrible feeling he'll have the same overly-literal interpretation of the cartoon model as other "nu-MPs". So very little surface detail on bland, flat panels, limited colour breakup and grey or white instead of silver. I'm sure it'll be a decent toy, and I'm happy to eat my words if he turns out amazing, but I can't help but feel it would have made more sense to carry on making MPs in the "golden age" style rather than to reinvent the wheel and redo existing, perfectly good figures and thus necessitate people replacing more or less their entire collection.
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961370)
Posted by shajaki on May 24th, 2018 @ 12:45pm CDT
Something to note about this "gold" MP-10 is that he's not head to toe in chrome. He's got chrome parts, and gold plastic parts. Proper Lucky Draw's are chromed up completely. So it IS kinda different.
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961374)
Posted by Ironhidensh on May 24th, 2018 @ 1:47pm CDT
You bitch enough about something not happening, and it will. I regret nothing. :P

I’m always down for an upgraded MP model. I don’t believe, when it comes to my collection, anything is “good enough”.

That said, I am disappointed we still aren’t getting an MP Hound.
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961388)
Posted by Rated X on May 24th, 2018 @ 3:54pm CDT
Im all for cartoon accuracy, but when all theyre doing is making petty changes based on art, it seems like a waste of resources. So the stomach grill will be shorter, the smoke stacks lowered, the leg wheels hidden....who cares? These arent the things that make the character any more or less Prime. These are just petty artist details that I never even noticed before this 3rd MP Prime was announced. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel on this one. It opens up the door to do all the seekers over with the tailfin kibble folded away like the Maketoys MP seeker. I would rather see them finish the season 1-2 cast and leave all that reboot crap alone.
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961401)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on May 24th, 2018 @ 6:32pm CDT
I think a lot of people are forgetting something: this might mean we get a new MP-scaled Prime without a back part so high off the ground it has to have ladders. I for one, would view that alone as good enough reason for a redesign.
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961403)
Posted by Emerje on May 24th, 2018 @ 7:04pm CDT
Gold chrome + gold plastic = :SICK:

I just can't stand the combination of the two. Gold plastic on its own is pretty nasty looking, but when you add the chrome it just shows how awful the plastic really is. This is going to be an easy pass. There's about one giant robot that I'll accept the combination from and that's only because he's supposed to be all gold and not just a poor man's lucky draw:

Brave of Gold Great Goldran

Golden.jpg

GreatGoldran.jpg

Optimus 3.0 will be a pre-order, he's going to be amazing! People can complain all they want about another Optimus, he's going to be a big seller and figures like him are what helps bankroll more obscure MPs.

I don't know if it's good or bad that his truck mode will now be different from Ultra Magnus, who's cab was painstakingly sculpted to look like MP-10. Ultra Magnus 2.0? :-? I'm kidding, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Emerje
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1961449)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on May 25th, 2018 @ 12:55am CDT
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1962488)
Posted by Lore Keeper on May 31st, 2018 @ 2:43pm CDT
SpikeyTigertron wrote:If they redo Ultra Magnus... I really hope they do the armored white prime version... that would be the only way I'd double dip. Oddly enough... it'd be curious if they did Laser/G2 Prime as a MP next.

As much as I like MP Ultra Magnus, the lack of a cab robot has always bothered me. I get the difficulty in engineering such a thing, but its omission is felt every time I look at my figure.
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1964003)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 9th, 2018 @ 11:45am CDT
Thanks to a heads up from Seibertron users westjames/notirish and Kurthy, we have news of not only new images of the previously mentioned Golden Lagoon Masterpiece Optimus Prime, but also a whole cast of new Golden Lagoon figures, including Unite Warriors Starscream, Titans Return Perceptor and Seaspray, and Power of the Primes Beachcomber!

These new figures are on display at the Tokyo Toy Show, shown off in all their gold painted excellence, and are also listed on Takara's official page and TakaraTomy Mall. According to the listings, these figures are set to come out over the course of 4 months, with Optimus coming in August at Wonderfest for 15,000 yen, Unite Warriors Starscream in October through TakaraTomy Mall for 3,800 yen, and Perceptor, Beachcomber, and Seaspray in November also through TakaraTomy Mall for 8,000 yen.

Not mentioned or shown here, but there is also a Golden Lagoon MP-36 that has been previously revealed as well.

Check out the images below, and let us know what you think of them in the comments section below!

Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1964005)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 9th, 2018 @ 11:51am CDT
Will these figures crumble to DUST in a few years? :shock:
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1964019)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on June 9th, 2018 @ 12:24pm CDT
I wasn't on board, but that Perceptor actually looks cool as hell.

Also. Starscream has a POTP hand?!!?!
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1964020)
Posted by Randomhero on June 9th, 2018 @ 12:31pm CDT
DecepticonFinishline wrote:I wasn't on board, but that Perceptor actually looks cool as hell.

Also. Starscream has a POTP hand?!!?!

It’s the takara Unite Warriors Starscream that was part of the Grand Galvatron set
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1964022)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on June 9th, 2018 @ 12:34pm CDT
These look pretty good. I'm only interested in the Starscream and three figure set so if the price is right, I'm down.
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1964026)
Posted by shajaki on June 9th, 2018 @ 12:41pm CDT
I'm pretty sure the Gold MP-36 was confirmed to be a KO :-?
Re: First Look at Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-10 G Optimus Prime Golden Version and MP Optimus Prime 3.0 (1964043)
Posted by Wireless_Phantom on June 9th, 2018 @ 1:41pm CDT
Looks like I've found the last piece for my SkyReign

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Chase Brush Fire Boulder Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Kre-O 30662 Ratchet new sealed hasbro unopened 187 pieces" on EBAY
Buy "ULTRA MAGNUS Transformers Kingdom War For Cybertron Trilogy Leader Class 2021" on EBAY
Buy "KRE-O TRANSFORMERS LOT IRONHIDE & MEGATRON KREON BATTLE CHANGER SEALED" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise Autobot Ratchet Deluxe Action Figure " on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS SALVAGE, Griffin Rock Construction Team Flip Racer 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Battle In Moon Light Cyberverse Optimus Prime Trailer Part" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Bulkhead Takara Tomy MISB MINT" on EBAY