First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail

First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail

Friday, August 3rd, 2018 2:03pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Sightings
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 21,043

The Transformers G1 reissues in 2018 are quite popular with them all selling out at Walmart.com. Many have yet to find any of these at brick and mortar retail anywhere in the world. While these have yet to be found on actual shelves in the US, Devastator has finally been found in Canada in South Surrey Wal-Mart, British Columbia. The price was very high and at $100 CAD, it is even higher than the conversion of the $75 USD MSRP.

Here is hoping you find one for yourself if you feel the price is right! The toy was found by VE Telus, from the Cybertron.ca boards.

Transformers News: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail

Credit(s): VE Telus

Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976296)
Posted by shajaki on August 3rd, 2018 @ 2:11pm CDT
I want this. As a kid I only had a couple G2 yellow fellas. And only bought the 20A Encore. So I'm down for an OG set. I'm ok with the price too.
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976307)
Posted by shajaki on August 3rd, 2018 @ 2:52pm CDT
Makes you wonder when Hotrod is going to pop up. He's all that's left right?
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976310)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 3rd, 2018 @ 2:58pm CDT
shajaki wrote:Makes you wonder when Hotrod is going to pop up. He's all that's left right?

Which is funny, as he was the first reissue announced wasn't he?
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976318)
Posted by nycPrime on August 3rd, 2018 @ 3:17pm CDT
Ugh meanwhile I'm refreshing the walmart website every hour as well as hoping for an in-stock notification.
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976326)
Posted by firefox91 on August 3rd, 2018 @ 4:00pm CDT
Oh man, I can't wait to get this. I remember getting this for Christmas of 1985. As an adult collector I only ever got the G1 version in KO form which wasn't very good. More than anything I want to get this to display in the box just like it looked on that Christmas morning.
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976330)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on August 3rd, 2018 @ 4:08pm CDT

Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976372)
Posted by Samsonator on August 3rd, 2018 @ 8:17pm CDT
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976378)
Posted by Samsonator on August 3rd, 2018 @ 8:47pm CDT
Samsonator wrote:That's my Walmart. There better be one left when I get there in about twenty minutes

Update: All gone, I missed 'em.
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976380)
Posted by Wireless_Phantom on August 3rd, 2018 @ 9:17pm CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:What an absolute rip off. The individual constructicons are barely worth even five bucks each for their size and simplicity and general brickiness. I liked G1 toys when they came out back in the 80s when they seemed more 'state of the art' but i really cannot see the point in a lot of them now other than curiosity or some remaining nostlagia and certainly wouldn't pay the prices Hasbro are asking for them.

They aren't 100 bucks for engineering, they're 100 bucks because Hasbro has to use the older type of material and the parts have to be thicker than newer stuff. There is also the die-cast content jacking the price. It also probably doesn't help that they likely had to repair the molds considering how many times the Constructicons have be released. That's not to mention that a complete G1 Devastator set will cost you well upwards of 100 bucks.

As for packaging, I agree with you.
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976390)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 3rd, 2018 @ 9:59pm CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:Oh well I still prefer the 80's logo to the super generic unified one they use on boxes in the past couple years. 80's logo design in general was just more imaginative and memorable than logo design of modern day toys, video games, movies and such.
Every TF logo is better than the current one, even. :-)
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976433)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on August 4th, 2018 @ 1:18am CDT
Wireless_Phantom wrote:I think these reissues are generally geared to those who either want to display a set in box, those who want to get a set without worrying about them having accumulated 30+ years of ware without paying a fortune, and for those like me who weren't alive in the 80's to get a set if they want one.

Yeah maybe but they're still way overpriced for what they are and can do. I'm no fan of G1 Devs and the modern update of the team is also expensive but you just get a lot more for your buck with that one, with bonus of being more too-accurate (if that's your thing) and articulated so muchly posable. Maybe I'm just looking at them without the nostalgia despite having grown up with 80's TF toys (but even then being frustrated with aspects of particular TF figures). The original seeker mold is one of my least fave TF toys (I had Thundercracker and thought it was a nice plane and a crappy robot, especially when i got Jetfire a short while later who blows it away and still holds up well even today as a quality product) so I can't see any worth in the G1 Starscream reissue seems worthless to me when there are far better toys of the character to choose from and often for much less cash. Oh well, enjoy. I'm done. :)
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976442)
Posted by Regimus Prime on August 4th, 2018 @ 2:33am CDT
Even though I own the G1 Devastator gift set MIB, I still will not hesitate to pick this set up (or any of these Wal-Mart reissues for that matter) on sight. Nothing like the feeling of nostalgia you get seeing the box art alone. I know for me as a child, I couldn’t just walk into Sears or Toys R Us and pick up any of these figures, even though back then there were plenty on shelves. We didn’t have the money for it, so let’s just say I spent plenty of time just hanging out in the Transformers toy aisle day dreaming and reading the bios on the back of the packaging. The fact that due to almost exclusively adult collector demand and a significantly higher price point, these will be in far limited supply, compared to the 80’s, both on shelves and online (as we all have recently witnessed). Even more reason to pick them up if the opportunity presents itself. The covet meter for me, is through the roof. Even the early 2000’s TRU exclusive reissues only had similar to G1 packaging. Sure it paid nice homage to the 1980’s packaging, but was not exactly the same as these new reissues. I’m all in and can’t wait. :BOT:
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976452)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 4th, 2018 @ 6:34am CDT
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976459)
Posted by Amelie on August 4th, 2018 @ 7:21am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote: Because the Encore was a cheap-ass unstable mess.

Slightly off topic, but my Encore 20A was so tight I didn't even transform Hook or Longhaul. The combined mode is rock solid on mine as well.
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976460)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 4th, 2018 @ 8:04am CDT
Amelie wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote: Because the Encore was a cheap-ass unstable mess.

On the one I used to have, the crotch plate was iffy at best and Devy was stable like a house of cards.
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976461)
Posted by shajaki on August 4th, 2018 @ 8:06am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:Will anyone bite the bullet and buy that reissue Devy? Because the Encore was a cheap-ass unstable mess. So I do wonder how the quality of this release hold up.
I'll be opening mine! ;)
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976463)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 4th, 2018 @ 8:08am CDT
shajaki wrote:
I'll be opening mine! ;)

Of course you will. And please give us a full review. ;)^
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976468)
Posted by shajaki on August 4th, 2018 @ 8:34am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:
shajaki wrote:
I'll be opening mine! ;)
Of course you will. And please give us a full review. ;)^
You know it. I want to open up Starscream, just to test the QC. But I have really no reason to other than that, cause...

I've experienced it all already. The TRU Commemorative huge missiles and the TFC Megatron gun. So hell, I don't even have a reason to own this new one period :lol:
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976469)
Posted by Amelie on August 4th, 2018 @ 8:37am CDT
Because I'm a poop - you're missing ehobby Ghost Starscream and IGA Starscream.. ;)

I want the reissue screamer badly, but my pockets are empty until September..
Re: First Sighting of G1 Devastator Reissue at Brick and Mortar Retail (1976471)
Posted by Cobotron on August 4th, 2018 @ 8:42am CDT
Shajaki and I were just talking about this last night in the Shak, but I'm riding the fence on this Devistator for the very reason being discussed. I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the cash without confirmation that he's not a fragile mess. I mean even the originals were notorious for breaking easily. And, leaving him in the box is NOT an option in my world.

I've always been content with my (also slightly broken in places) G2 Devy, but that darn green and purple is just so hypnotizing :HALUC: and mesmerizing! 8-}

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Terri-Bull" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #275 - Non-Fungible Mailbag
"Non-Fungible Mailbag"
Posted: Saturday, May 1st, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers TITANS RETURN G1 IDW Windcharger Gnaw Action Figure No Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Bluestreak, 100% Complete, MIB" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager Battle Core Optimus Prime (Maximus) MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Blackjack and Hyperdrive MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "transformers combiner wars hound" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class - Bombshell Lot" on EBAY
Buy "OPTIMUS PRIME RATCHET Shattered Glass Transformers War for Cybertron WFCGS-17" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Seacon Overbite Takara Tomy Piranacon in USA" on EBAY