Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot)

Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 5:43am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 18,091

The end of IDW's massive franchise crossover event is almost in sight, but there are still a couple of side-books to consider and left to enter the stage - this week, it's the turn of G.I. Joe! Check out the full preview of the event tie-in one-shot below, and expect a review some point this week too, from our resident staff Joexpert.

G.I. JOE: Revolution #1
Aubrey Sitterson (w) • Giannis Milogiannis (a) • Aaron Conley (c)
G.I. JOE IS BACK! Thanks to the events of REVOLUTION, the G.I. Joe team led by Scarlett returns to the fray, leading the charge against invading TRANSFORMERS and other aliens. But when a US military defense base goes dark, Scarlett has reason to suspect that these enemy forces may have infiltrated G.I. Joe. It’s up to her, Roadblock, Rock ‘n Roll, Quick Kick, Wild Bill, and Shipwreck to move in and root out any traitors before the facility falls into the wrong hands!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
G.I. JOE returns to the fray!
A key one-shot connected to the world of REVOLUTION!
Variant cover by Ken Christiansen, part of a 13-part connected cover!

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot)

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot)

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot)

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot)

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot)

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot)

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot)

Credit(s): IDW

Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841236)
Posted by Big Grim on November 15th, 2016 @ 5:49am CST
I'm honestly so far from caring anymore. Revolution has been a bloody mess.
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841239)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on November 15th, 2016 @ 6:06am CST
Big Grim wrote:I'm honestly so far from caring anymore. Revolution has been a bloody mess.

Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841240)
Posted by Kurona on November 15th, 2016 @ 6:09am CST
Does anyone get an 80s/90s classic anime feel from Scarlet's face? I dunno, it just sort of reminds me of that for some reason.

In fact, I think this is why the one-shots have proven far more enjoyable. All of them focus on a smaller group of characters and have a single story objective. They're simple and effective.
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841241)
Posted by Big Grim on November 15th, 2016 @ 6:25am CST
SG Roadbuster wrote:it kinda has. I think this would have been better executed if it were split between 2 events 1 event to introduce GiJoe and Mask, and a second event to bring in Rom, Micronauts, and Action Man

Kurona wrote:But yeah... Revolution I think would have been far better if it only had Transformers crossing over with one other property, or maybe two. Throwing this many fictional properties into one basket sounds awesome at first but it suffers from a severe lack of focus at it's fundamental base, especially as all of these bar Transformers and G.I. Joe are literally just starting out.

For sure. I think if they'd taken the time to re-establish G.I. Joe and perhaps introduce M.A.S.K. first, that woulda helped. Perhaps Action Man too. The terrestrial assets. Get them running, let us see how they would work in the world with Cybertronians in it. THEN bring in the likes of ROM and Micronaughts. And give their comics time to establish themselves, though I hear that Micronaughts has managed to do so before being dropped into Revolution.

As it is, far too much is being brought in, in most cases from NOWHERE and are all being crammed together. Too much, too fast with little time to establish anything. And it has suffered. Big time.
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841242)
Posted by Kurona on November 15th, 2016 @ 6:32am CST
Big Grim wrote:

Action Man's also been able to do that imo
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841244)
Posted by Moody magpie on November 15th, 2016 @ 6:42am CST
The sooner this series ends and we get back to our normal schedule, the better!
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841248)
Posted by Big Grim on November 15th, 2016 @ 7:18am CST
Kurona wrote:Action Man's also been able to do that imo

Really? Has it proven to be good fun, as I hear of 'Naughts?
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841249)
Posted by Va'al on November 15th, 2016 @ 7:20am CST
Big Grim wrote:
Kurona wrote:Action Man's also been able to do that imo

Really? Has it proven to be good fun, as I hear of 'Naughts?

Kurona and I don't entirely agree on all of this, but yes, it's enjoyable, much more than any of the other humanoid-centric series! :D

I'd say, personally, that enjoyment levels outside of the TF books are:

Micronauts
Action Man
GI Joe
MASK
ROM
Revolution
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841250)
Posted by Kurona on November 15th, 2016 @ 7:22am CST
Dr Va'al wrote:
Big Grim wrote:
Kurona wrote:Action Man's also been able to do that imo

Really? Has it proven to be good fun, as I hear of 'Naughts?

I'd say, personally, that enjoyment levels outside of the TF books are:

Micronauts
Action Man
GI Joe
MASK
ROM
Revolution

We don't? Cos that's how I'd rank it as well :lol:
except that I haven't read GI Joe or MASK yet
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841257)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on November 15th, 2016 @ 8:04am CST
Dr Va'al wrote:
Big Grim wrote:
Kurona wrote:Action Man's also been able to do that imo

Really? Has it proven to be good fun, as I hear of 'Naughts?

I'd say, personally, that enjoyment levels outside of the TF books are:

Micronauts
Action Man
GI Joe
MASK
ROM
Revolution

Sort of my ranking, except Action Man would be number 1 and the rest are about tied with one another
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841258)
Posted by Big Grim on November 15th, 2016 @ 8:05am CST

I had such high hopes for MASK. Cybertronian tech/biology being used to create hitech transforming vehicles and Masks! What could go wrong?!? Oh. Turning them into a Black Ops team created by Miles Mayhem...instead of a group of do-gooders fighting a bunch of bad guys. Just...such a misstep in my opinion. I so wanted MASK to be aces.
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841259)
Posted by Kurona on November 15th, 2016 @ 8:10am CST
Big Grim wrote:Hrm. Might just have a look at that then. Got a few issues of Action Man in the Humble Bundle recently.

The four Action Man issues in the Humble Bundle are actually the only AM issues out so far; aside from of course the Revolution one-shot. But even just them on their own are fantastic in my opinion; it starts off slow and you think it's gonna be on the "meh-it's-okay-but-nothing-special" level but it quickly builds up momentum in the endgame.
I've gotta say, if there's anything good that has come out of this crossover it's that it did in fact introduce me to two decent new comics - even if they weren't portrayed well within the crossover itself. I suppose even if this crossover was terrible, it still done it's job...? So I guess it's on the level of me doing retail.
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841260)
Posted by Va'al on November 15th, 2016 @ 8:10am CST
Kurona wrote:We don't? Cos that's how I'd rank it as well :lol:
except that I haven't read GI Joe or MASK yet

You like more of what I don't, so it's a common ground agreement but not on every aspect!
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841263)
Posted by Big Grim on November 15th, 2016 @ 8:53am CST
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841376)
Posted by ScottyP on November 15th, 2016 @ 8:08pm CST
Big Grim wrote:Hmmm. Okay, come payday, I may just pick up MIcronauts and the AM one-shot. See what I think of them.
Action Man is a pretty good little mini series, though it feels a little like Barber couldn't decide if he was going for Sterling Archer or not. It's fun and I don't feel like it was a total waste reading it, but it's not something I would go out of my way to recommend.

That said, issue 7 is clearly a breather issue meant to not spoil the end of Revolution too completely. Oh well, release schedules are what they are.

Moody magpie wrote:The sooner this series ends and we get back to our normal schedule, the better!
I like this post. Couldn't agree more.
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841433)
Posted by Big Grim on November 16th, 2016 @ 5:43am CST
ScottyP wrote:Micronauts though? It's real good. Not "change your life great" by any means but surprisingly well paced, has a few deep characters, and is building a fun mythos. I think most Transformers fans will like it, and probably Guardians of the Galaxy fans too.

Sold.
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841543)
Posted by Tigertrack on November 16th, 2016 @ 3:04pm CST
Reflections of a GI Joe comic by a mostly Transformers comics reader - GI JOE Revolution Issue #1 - by **************

G.I. Book Blurb:

CREATIVE CREDITS:

Presently: It’s a clandestine mission to our favorite Transformers playwright’s old hideout… BIKINI ATOLL for an extraction that maybe you wouldn’t predict…

TRANSFORMERS STUFF

Besides BIKINI ATOLL, and the mention of what has been going on with Optimus Prime, Autobots, and Decepticons, there isn’t much here for Transformers fans except a little gem at the end that I want to hint at with a very vague image below. Next issue of REV should be of much more interest to Transformers readers.

REVOLUTION STUFF
It’s pretty obvious, it’s a REVOLUTION title so it’s going to be about all the main players and continuing that over-arching story-line. It’s the GI JOE ONESHOT though, so mostly, we get Joes. A handful of them to be precise. And a whole island full of zombie-like Dire Wraiths.

Yo Joe…

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!! Big Hat, Parrot Guy, Nose Man, Darryl, and The Rock

Joe Colton’s death was not a shock to most people keeping up with the series. The fact that he was a Dire Wraith, also not a shock at all. And indeed like the body snatchers of old, and any number of newer horror, sci-fi related movies and materials; this revelation involving several shape changers has sown the seeds of distrust, nervousness, anxiety, and even panic amongst the humans who have been infiltrated: mainly the government and GI JOE.

Who do you trust? How far? With what? The handful of Joes chosen for the mission by Scarlett meant that she could, hopefully, trust her crew and they could trust each other. Whoops…

The only Joes to go on the mission with Scarlett are Rock ’N’ Roll (machine gunner/infantry), Quick Kick (silent weapons), Road Block (Heavy weapons support), Shipwreck and Polly (naval command infiltration/extraction), and Wild Bill (air combat commander/pilot). Seems like a pretty solid group- but to me it does feel lacking-. Seems we have no Mainframe, who featured previously in REVOLUTION and who had ties to ACTION MAN, and the EDC. I think I might need to do a re-read to see if he got lost somewhere and I missed it, but I think, Myles ‘Mayhem’ Manheim may be the culprit, if my memory is doing its thing correctly.

It's really no surprise, when we find out one of this inadequate group is a traitor, a Dire Wraith in disguise, and this traitor looks to take out the group and end the mission tout suite (Who do you take out of that group as traitor? There’s no ‘C” level member, no red shirt, or green shirt...). The result is a nice little bit of horrorfest, which would have been perfect, if distributed about two weeks ago around Halloween. But now is good too.

Friend, Foe, or alien?

Definitely, alien.

MY TAKE
It was a somewhat morbid, despairing story that I thought really read well as a tale of deception by the alien Dire Wraith element and the mind-twisting, gut wrenching consequences, with another decent enough twist at the end that won’t pay off until later. Lots of gun play and action, albeit featuring about 6 Joes that have never been listed amongst my personal favorites, but certainly are popular among lots of the Joe fandom. The story becomes most relevant at the end for TF fans, but may not be worth a purchase for those not into GI JOE, or who aren’t collecting all the individual issues of REVOLUTION. Ask your Joe collecting buddy, or REVOLUTION collecting roommate to see the final page, and then wonder about what happens next…

The art was enjoyable, and while a scratchier, lots-of-line-work, somewhat detail-heavy style, it was still pretty slick and appealing. While Scarlett stuck out as seeming a bit to manga/anime-ish at times, and faces lacked eyes or even entire faces in some panels, I did not find it to be off putting or even bad -somewhat adding to the horror and unsettling storyline-. Action scenes were well-executed and very upbeat, if not unrealistic at times (it's a comic, so...). The lettering and colors played well to create the creepy, overall dark feeling that the story pervaded. The dialogue was pretty clear military jargon when it needed to be, but also was able to help you to understand more about their personalities and relationships. Like Rock 'N' Roll is a bit of a jerk.

The comedian or just a jerk?

What does this face mean?

YOUR TAKE (Recommendations, or not)
:BOT: :CON: Skip and borrow for TF fans.
:GIJOE: :COBRA: Joe fans**- worth it- certainly if any of those characters are amongst your favorites.
;)^ REVOLUTION readers, of course, BUY IT!

No crossbow for this zombie killer!

**GI JOE toy fans might find new reason to buy those new two-packs of Zombie Troopers at TRU, if you can find them. They could make great stand-ins for the Dire Wraith zombie people that are found on BIKINI ATOLL, standing in the way of our heroes and their goal.**

GI JOE toy image credit to site sponsor BigBadToyStore
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841573)
Posted by ScottyP on November 16th, 2016 @ 6:08pm CST
Big Grim wrote:

Sold.
Let's see if I go 2 for 2, I'm 1 for 1 on recommending it so far. Had a Twitter friend pick it up and enjoy after my praise of it :lol:
Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841878)
Posted by Va'al on November 18th, 2016 @ 5:13am CST
Via the iTunes page for IDW Publishing's Revolution #5, we have an initial preview of the last chapter in the Hasbro cross-franchise cross-comics crossover event - and we've mirrored the imaged, copied the info below, and will be ready for a full preview next week! Check it out.

LAST STAND IN AUTOBOT CITY! It’s all come to this—TRANSFORMERS vs. ROM vs. MICRONAUTS vs. G.I. JOE vs. M.A.S.K. vs. the ultimate evil! The futures of Earth, Cybertron, and the Microverse will all be changed forever by the decisions made this day.

Re: Full Preview for IDW G.I. Joe: Revolution (One-Shot) (1841880)
Posted by steve2275 on November 18th, 2016 @ 5:22am CST
viva revofunlution

Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #288 - Filler Episode
"Filler Episode"
Posted: Sunday, November 14th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro RICOCHET NIGHTSTICK Transformers G1 TRU Commemorative Series IX MISB" on EBAY
Buy "1987 Vintage G1 Transformers Decepticon Headmaster Snapdragon Krunk" on EBAY
Buy "Scorponok Helmet Mask 1987 Vintage G1 Transformers Fasttrack Antenna Radar" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Scorponok 1st Run & Fast Track" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Ironworks SEALED War for Cybertron: Earthrise Deluxe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wingspan Cloudraker Clones Walgreens MISB Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Walgreens Exclusive & Wingspan Cloudraker" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Battle For Cybertron Quintesson Invasion Shockwave Prowl" on EBAY