Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Saturday, May 20th, 2017 5:35am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 15,591

With the embargo broken by the regular sites, we can also share the preview directly from IDW for next week's Transformers comic Optimus Prime #7! Check out the full preview below, and let us know what you think of the book so far - while we prepare the review for its release!

Optimus Prime #7
John Barber (w) • Priscilla Tramontano (a) • Kei Zama (c)
With the Junkion invasion resolved peacefully, Optimus Prime takes a moment to plan the Autobot's next move on Earth.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7

Credit(s): IDW

Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1882993)
Posted by Va'al on May 20th, 2017 @ 1:10pm CDT
With issue #7 hitting the stands next week, artist Kei Zama has shown off (after Previews World revealed it) the art for the following book in the Optimus Prime ongoing series from IDW Publishing - in which Casey Coller and JP Bove take on art duties! Lineart by Zama, and colours by Josh Burcham, you can check it out mirrored below.

(W) John Barber (A) Casey W. Coller (CA) Kei Zama
Jazz confronts his past-and the Autobot's future-in front of millions of television viewers. But will he make the people of Earth understand Optimus Prime's mission... or turn against it?

Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1883024)
Posted by steve2275 on May 20th, 2017 @ 5:20pm CDT
love all the arts
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1883037)
Posted by budmaloney on May 20th, 2017 @ 6:33pm CDT
I think the IDW Transformers series stopped being worth it as Combiner Wars started and the Titans Return finished. They felt so all over the place and IDW topped it off with Revolution which made no sense to me and just completely divested me from the series. MTME was the only thing I found made sense. It may be just me, but fragmenting the characters and stories with the Hasbro Universe became really confusing and difficult to follow. I haven't read Optimus Prime, and I'm not sure I will, but if Pyra Magna becomes the next leader of the Autobots or carries the matrix, I'd probably jump in. For now it's the long wait for Lost Light. Keep going strong Roberts.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1883039)
Posted by Kurona on May 20th, 2017 @ 6:40pm CDT
I'd say that's a shame because if anything, Optimus Prime and Till All Are One have managed to supersede and be much better than their predecessors; creating probably some of the best Transformers stories period. Till All Are One in particular is what I'd consider to be the greatest of the three ongoings this year, but Optimus Prime is not far behind at all.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1883040)
Posted by budmaloney on May 20th, 2017 @ 6:48pm CDT
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1883042)
Posted by Kurona on May 20th, 2017 @ 6:56pm CDT
budmaloney wrote:The very last comic I read other than Lost Light, was the Titans Return Sentinel Prime and Optimus Raising Metroplex from the ground. So if I wanted to jump in, should I go with TAO since you recommend it? Then go Optimus? But won't I be lost with the whole ROM , Micronauts thing? Or will there be a trade coming out that consolidates the important connections.

Right now the Hasbro Universe has been done how a shared universe should in theory be done best - you don't need to read ROM or GI Joe or whatever to follow what's going on in the one comic you actually want to read. They will provide extra details and context on what's going on in other places in the world; but thankfully, all the comics - including Optimus Prime - can act independently of each other. Essentially all you need to know is that G.I. Joe has replaced EDC - and even then the team seen interacting with Prime's team is largely made up of characters that were in ex-RiD; Spike, Talon etc.
So yeah, you can jump right in. You could read Revolution for a bit of extra context if you want, but to be honest it's not a very good story and I'd recommend just looking at a wikipedia article summary instead.

Come to think of it, your concerns aren't exactly uncommon - I'm not surprised that Revolution would make you hesitant to jump in, nor can I blame you; shared universe deals are always a bit iffy especially when a lot of people have grown tired and fatigued of constant events in a lot of comics. Maybe I should write up an article on this... :-?
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1883731)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:39pm CDT

I think those 6 go well together, and I'm glad the technobots are actually going to be in a comic again.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1883734)
Posted by Kurona on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:46pm CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:This comic has made me really like Jetfire. I love what they did with his background, and this is where he and the Technobot's relationship starts! Yay!

It's also kind of nice that they're continuing the theme of use-the-dead-guys in flashbacks. First Outback, then Horri-Bull, and now Nosecone. It's like Skids' flashbacks in MTMTE #48 and #49 where all those dead Predators and such showed up - I'm not sure if I should look into any deeper meaning here or if it's just kind of a cool thing.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1883738)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 23rd, 2017 @ 7:51pm CDT
Kurona wrote:

we'll say cool thing. Cool things are cool
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1883941)
Posted by Va'al on May 24th, 2017 @ 2:47pm CDT
The Heart in the Machine
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Look at this panel and smile

Story

As we saw last month, the first arc of the new ongoing series focusing on Optimus Prime - but really on Earth after Optimus annexed it to the Council of Worlds (yay space neocolonialism) - and the rebuilding phase is starting. Quite literally. But is everything as it seems in the newtopia of Little Cybertron?

..then this one, and weep

The usual John Barber device of captions to help the narration along is foregone here, in favour of the established parallels with flashbacks, and actual breathing space in character interactions, starting with Optimus and the President of the US, and Jazz's role in the next issue (but also the past). A change of pace, for sure, and a welcome one given the themes addressed in the book.

lol sex joke

Not only do we have parallels drawn between violence, guns and ostracism (in particular between Jetfire of the past and Optimus of the present), there are some less than subtle political commentaries on discrimination based on appearance or 'build', if you will - without ever getting preachy or entirely overt. More on this below.

Functionism. Casually

In terms of plot advancement, then, there is A LOT happening in the book too. A very nice balance achieved in using the characters and their actions/words to seed where the story might be going from here, with Arcee, the colonist recruits, Jazz - and most of all, of course, Pyra Magna.

Art

Taking the reins from Zama, Priscilla Tramontano shines as the artist on the book - and working on both lineart and colouring for the issue - especially in one specific case I want to address: the faceplateless Optimus. That, right there, is part of visual storytelling: Optimus at his non-warring, non-fighting, but coming face-to-face with his realisation from last issue, and as he speaks to humanity on a more common level.

How accessible does he look, right here?

Not the sole point to highlight about the art, of course, but one I wanted to reiterate nonetheless. Colour-wise, I found it fascinating how Tramontano was able to mimic Burcham's take so far, with the grainier texture, and add some extra light for the superficially lighter tone of the book, like a vibrant comma in the long sentence that is the ongoing series.

(though Rust Dust is missing a little red)

The lack of that many captions, though still some snarky name tags float around, means that we don't have as much from the hands of Tom B. Long - though there is a very good KRUNG if you wait for it. As for covers, we've seen all of them previously, bar Tramontano's own (in the thumbnail), featuring the Junkion-Optimus monument by Casey Coller and JP Bove, and its parody by Andrew Griffith and Josh Perez, plus of course the regular cover by Zama and Burcham. All can be seen in our database listing here!

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

There is a lot more that can be said about this issue, for which I have very little time and space - but some of my thoughts on it are bounced off the Twincast in episode 175 of the podcast, due soon. In the meantime, I wanted to point out that of the many interactions we see in the book, I was glad to have something dealing with Arcee, and Aileron's role is still one that I'm intrigued about.

Am I the only one hearing ominous-ness here..?

Pyra Magna is still, however, the biggest presence outside of the titular character, even by just looking at the covers. There is a lot of talk not only about politics but also about faith (again, more thoughts in the podcast episode) in how her and OP interact and confront each other, and there is a lot - a lot - more to come out of this series.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: ½ out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884001)
Posted by Randomhero on May 24th, 2017 @ 7:44pm CDT
I really enjoyed this issue. It was a "after the dust has settled" issue. It was nice to see nosecone pop up for a flashback since the poor guy has been dead for 6 years.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884289)
Posted by ScottyP on May 25th, 2017 @ 5:50pm CDT

That aside, really darn good issue and the direction Pyra Magna is going in is fantastic fun to behold.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884302)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 25th, 2017 @ 6:34pm CDT
Now mind you I think it is a good thing for the book, but damn does Pyra piss me off! I'm not sure what it is about her, but she makes me grumpy and generally Brawn-y when I see her and hear her voice (if you call it that, since we now have a voice actor for her), but it's good this time! It adds some tension to the book for me and adds that somewhat good character who also makes her pages more interesting. Slide will totally be her slidekick too when she tries to overthrow Prime (which I still believe will lead into the IDW Power of the Primes thingy, we all know it's coming).

Also, Sideswipe. I know he comes back in 2 issues, but I love what they have done with him and Arcee. I feel like she will be crucial in his "recovery" (based on the cover if you can call it that) too, using her experience coupled with with Aileron's words
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884305)
Posted by Kurona on May 25th, 2017 @ 6:46pm CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:hear her voice (if you call it that, since we now have a voice actor for her)

Wait, what? Who?! :D
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884307)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 25th, 2017 @ 6:49pm CDT
Kurona wrote:

Wait, what? Who?! :D

Marissa mentioned that Pyra sounds like Elizabeth Taylor
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884309)
Posted by Kurona on May 25th, 2017 @ 6:51pm CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Wait, what? Who?! :D

Marissa mentioned that Pyra sounds like Elizabeth Taylor

Oooh right, durr. That's fun~
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884349)
Posted by ScottyP on May 25th, 2017 @ 11:12pm CDT
Kurona wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Kurona wrote:

Wait, what? Who?! :D

Marissa mentioned that Pyra sounds like Elizabeth Taylor

Oooh right, durr. That's fun~
It's all fun and games until the pungent scent of White Diamonds perfume hits your nose :SICK:
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884367)
Posted by Va'al on May 26th, 2017 @ 3:34am CDT
ScottyP wrote:I despised the crosshatching texture, or at least my eyes did. Dizzying in a weird sort of way.

I can see how that might affect some readers, actually, now that you mention it. :-?

I thought it was a very good way of blending Tramontano's glossier colouring style with Burcham's texture.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884500)
Posted by ScottyP on May 26th, 2017 @ 4:38pm CDT
Va'al wrote:

I appreciated the intent and it kind of worked for the Cybertron scenes, but when it carried over to the Earth stuff I got a bit disoriented. No big deal, went and picked up my last few weeks of pulls and it isn't as bad on ink and paper as on a screen.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #7 (1884504)
Posted by Kurona on May 26th, 2017 @ 4:58pm CDT
Crosshatching?

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #288 - Filler Episode
"Filler Episode"
Posted: Sunday, November 14th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro RICOCHET NIGHTSTICK Transformers G1 TRU Commemorative Series IX MISB" on EBAY
Buy "1987 Vintage G1 Transformers Decepticon Headmaster Snapdragon Krunk" on EBAY
Buy "Scorponok Helmet Mask 1987 Vintage G1 Transformers Fasttrack Antenna Radar" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Scorponok 1st Run & Fast Track" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Ironworks SEALED War for Cybertron: Earthrise Deluxe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wingspan Cloudraker Clones Walgreens MISB Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Walgreens Exclusive & Wingspan Cloudraker" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Battle For Cybertron Quintesson Invasion Shockwave Prowl" on EBAY