Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5

Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5

Friday, June 9th, 2017 2:16pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 13,868

Fellow Seibertronian Daniel Adkins has spotted the first of several expected full previews on ComicCrusaders for next week's releases from IDW Publishing: Revolutionaries #5! Featuring art by both Fico Ossio / Sebastian Cheng and Guido Guidi, the five pages can be seen below - check them out, and head back for a review on Seibertron.com after the book is released.

M.A.S.K. vs. the ATOMIC MAN! The Revolutionaries uncover the deep, dark secret of Mike Power, the Atomic Man—and enlist the help of M.A.S.K. to bring in the long-lost agent! But there’s more to Power’s story than anyone imagined, in the oddest story of 2017!

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5

Credit(s): ComicCrusaders

This article was last modified on Saturday, June 10th, 2017 1:35pm CDT

Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888307)
Posted by Lore Keeper on June 9th, 2017 @ 3:28pm CDT
Hearts of Steel and Beast Wars? My inner child is jumping for joy! I have a very strong feeling this is how they're going to introduce Optimus Primal into the story.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888357)
Posted by Silverwing on June 9th, 2017 @ 7:10pm CDT
Wait, is that one of the O parts from RID on the ship?
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888358)
Posted by Kurona on June 9th, 2017 @ 7:12pm CDT
Silverwing wrote:Wait, is that one of the O parts from RID on the ship?

Nope - unless the resemblance is intentional; this is in fact the Talisman that has been featured throughout the entire Revolutionaries series.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888448)
Posted by Windsweeper on June 10th, 2017 @ 2:21am CDT

Domitus resembles Big Convoy, I think that was the mammoth's name in Beast Wars and the guy with the Ratchet looking head's colour scheme reminds me of Clench or Tarantulus.

I wonder who they are?
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888455)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 10th, 2017 @ 3:54am CDT
Windsweeper wrote:Very interesting. At first glance that crew resemble Ironhide, Prowl, Bumblebee (or Bugbite).

I wonder who they are?

Have you read the miniseries Hearts of Steel?
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888879)
Posted by o.supreme on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:22am CDT

But Hearst of Steel was always an oddity. Unfortunately no other "alternate" universe stories were ever published, so I guess it makes sense to retcon it into the main continuity somehow.

I wonder though...because I collect the individual issues, and not the TPB's, I like to sort my comics by chronological reading order

I wonder where Hearts of Steel will eventually officially be placed? I guess its not a big deal at the moment since all my comic books are in storage, but eventually I'll have to take that 4 issue series out of my "Miscellaneous" collection and file it in somewhere with the main IDW continuity.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888882)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:28am CDT
It would go after Spotlight: Shockwave. Ask PrimusPrime22@gmail.com to share his continuity doc with you.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888883)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:30am CDT
Screenshot_2017-06-12-09-29-23.png
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888884)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:36am CDT
o.supreme wrote:In a way this kind of makes sense. Since IDW's inception 11 1/2 years ago, They have had the main "New" Transformers Universe. They have also had comics for the movie verse, and tie-in comics for TFA, and several series for the aligned continuity (FOC, TFP, BH etc...) Even a 2 issue GI Joe/TF crossover (Prior to the Hasbroverse). And a separate continuity for BW.

This list, done by my buddy Primusprime22 places it somettime between Spotlight Wheelie and Spotlight Hot Rod. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888886)
Posted by Kurona on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:49am CDT
Yeah, Hearts of Steel takes place in the year the original story says it was. So it's kind of fun that for once we have an IDW Transformers story that's not set in the modern day, the 1980s or millions and/or thousands of years ago.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1888982)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 12th, 2017 @ 6:57pm CDT
Hearts of steel is now canon. I am very happy :x
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1889291)
Posted by Kurona on June 14th, 2017 @ 3:55am CDT
Steam Wars

Spoiler-ish review of Revolutionaries #5

Synopsis

Cobra Commander vs. Hearts of Steel! Thousands of years ago, a starship crashed on Earth—and the Hearts of Steel Transformers were born… but how can these steampunk Cybertronians be real?! And what does Cobra Commander want with them, when he hasn’t even got Cobra to back him up? The Revolutionaries have uncovered one of the darkest and most incredible secrets on Earth!

Story

Revolutionaries so far has proven to be a greater success in terms of an engaging story and crossing over various franchises than its predecessor and progenitor Revolution. We've gotten an intelligently-written story that uses elements from Transformers, GI Joe, ROM etc. with actual restraint and intent - and now we get Hearts of Steel thrown in the mix; an IDW Transformers mini that was previously its own little thing connected to no other continuity with the pure reason of having the G1 Transformers be steampunk. It was pretty great. So, how does this manage to fit in with the new IDW Hasbroverse?

Pretty cleverly, if a tad cold. As one can garner from the preview, writer John Barber smartly manages to connect the Hearts of Steel Autobots and Decepticons to the ongoing narrative of the original 13 Primes and the Colony Worlds. Bridging the gaps in time with a lovely re-appearance of Shockwave and tying things into the backstories of GI Joe characters, the story manages to seamlessly slot Hearts of Steel into the Hasbroverse with nary a continuity error - though unfortunately, it does rely on much of the emotional motivation and pathos of the Hearts of Steel characters being nullified. If you were emotionally invested in the characters of those stories, you might find yourself disliking how this all works - Primus knows I'd be the same if a story I cared a lot about was treated this way. However, as stated; it is clever and this is only a small knock against the contents of the issue.

Talking of the contents of the issue, how does it fare? Really bloody well. We have the story we've been following with Kup and company continue juxtaposed with the backstory of Hearts of Steel Bumblebee beautifully drawn by Guido Guidi (more on that later). I will admit to being a bit confused by the former - it seems to require a decent amount of knowledge about IDW's GI Joe stories, and as someone who has never read those, it's not entirely clear to me what's going on at the start of the issue with Cobra Commander and why he's being betrayed by his former comrades. Still, the narrative can quite easily be followed without context and what follows when the Revolutionaries arrive is a very lengthy but very fun action sequence, utilising the different abilities and weapons of each member all to take down the former Terrorist organisation leader. Which to some might sound a bit dull if this is mostly action and little story, but remember - Hearts of Steel. Switching back and forth between the past and the present help give this issue a very nice balance of action and story; as a reader I didn't feel starved for either by the last page and both gave me a much better understanding of the universe and characters. All good stuff. Unfortunately, while both the flashback and the ongoing story are good and complement each other so you don't get an over-saturation of either; that doesn't mean they work together terribly well.

As the issue progresses, Blackrock is shown to be conducting on investigation into the Hearts of Steel Transformers. And as his investigation comes to a head, we get panels of his shock and surprise; leading us to believe we're about to see a revelation -- only to realise that he is just discovering something we already knew pages ago. And this is the only real flaw with the flashback: entertaining, well-written and engaging as it may be, it suffers when framed as something Blackrock is finding out. When working with a narrative it is far more advantageous for the reader to discover something at the same time as the character - otherwise the conclusion to the character's investigation just falls flat. Fortunately this is just a minor knock against the story if anything, but it is still rather frustrating when it seems like it could so easily have been done better.

Art

As always, Fico Ossio and Sebastian Cheng handle the art duties for Revolutionaries on lineart and colours respectively. And if you've liked them on the previous Revolutionaries issues, you'll like them here too! They manage to utilise a colourful cast with a darker atmosphere without dimming said colours, their facial expressions are spot-on, and they just keep getting better at drawing the robotic characters. I have nothing but praise and repetition of phrases to give for these two; they're a great artistic duo.

But what is most likely to grab one's eye in this issue is, naturally, Guido Guidi's lineart and colours for the flashback pages. Waaaaaaay back in 2012's Robots in Disguise annual, we saw him employ a very 80s Marvel-esque art style used for flashback scenes involving the ancient past dealing with characters closely related to the 13 Primes. It worked incredibly well; giving off a mystery, fanciful and otherworldly vibe while paying wonderful homage to Transformers' roots when they started in Marvel back in 1984. The same style is applied for the same reasons here with all the same positives. To be maybe just a little bit unprofessional for a moment, seeing this sort of thing is really friggin' cool and I personally ADORE it! Seeing it return excited me on the previews and I can only hope this indicates it will be used more in the future. It's simply a beautiful homage by people who are clearly very big fans of the franchise.

Final Thoughts

I may have come across as a little bit negative in the review. I speak of how Blackrock's investigation doesn't gel well narratively, I speak of how Hearts of Steel fans may be a bit disheartened by the way the story is now retconned into the main continuity; and I do express confusion on what the deal with Paoli and his former allies is. But I do speak from a place of love, as these do not horribly interfere with the story and they do not prevent Revolutionaries #5 from continuing this series in an entertaining way and being a thrill-ride of continuity engineering and worldbuilding.

Action Man and Kup are enjoyable as always, Hearts of Steel's placement in the continuity is intelligent if not a bit cold, the gunfight between Mayday and Cobra Commander is choreographed very well - though I do question one G.I. Joe soldier being able to take down Cobra's former leader. Was he weak in the IDW G.I. Joe comics?) - and, of course, the art is bloody beautiful. The story moves on, the stakes are being raised; and the plans of Kreiger and Doctor X just keep getting more and more sinister even while each issue including this one manages to be its own individual self-contained story with characters from across all the franchises involved. Like the past four issues, Revolutionaries isn't actually anything revolutionary; but does prove that if you're willing to give the Hasbro Expanded Universe a shot, it can most assuredly deliver. It's just a damn good comic.

:HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: 1/2 out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1889328)
Posted by Randomhero on June 14th, 2017 @ 7:28am CDT
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1889335)
Posted by ScottyP on June 14th, 2017 @ 8:22am CDT
Randomhero wrote:I haven't bothered picking revolutionaries since issue one. Not because I don't like what's happening I just figured I'd get the trades like GI Joe vs Transformers so I've just been reading the tfwiki pages but after this issue I'm gonna go back and pick up the past few issues and catch up. This series sound so amazing and actually making Hearts of Steel part of the G1 universe sold me.
Full credit to John Barber for injecting it with so much soul. It's like he had a high level outline of "things to do to get from Rev to First Strike" and got clearance to just make up the rest as he went. Not anyone could effectively pull that off, but I think it's getting done to tremendous effect.

Cobra Commander's line "...Krieger would." is one that I couldn't help but read in H. Jon Benjamin's voice. Was waiting for an Archer reference (at least implied, maybe?) with that character!
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1889346)
Posted by Nexus Knight on June 14th, 2017 @ 8:59am CDT
Y'know, if Hearts of Steel fans want to keep the heart of their story, they could rationalize that it is possible for those story to exist in another timeline. LL has shown that it has happened, so it is isn't beyond the realm of believe it to be possible for the Steel timeline. They can keep the story in IDWverse and as its own.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1889560)
Posted by Randomhero on June 15th, 2017 @ 7:12am CDT
So I did go back and read all of revolutionaries and man that's a fun book. I had a great time catching up
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1892770)
Posted by Va'al on June 27th, 2017 @ 6:42pm CDT
It ain't over yet..! IDW Publishing's Revolutionaries is about to reach its conclusion, as we head into First Strike, but the Hasbro Universe multi-team has some more tricks up its sleeve - such as issue #6's GI Joe centric variant cover from Tone Rodriguez (plus colourist), as seen below courtesy of Previews World!

(W) John Barber (A) Fico Ossio (CA) Tone Rodriguez
M.A.S.K. vs. ATOMIC MAN! The Revolutionaries team with MATT TRAKKER and the M.A.S.K. team to find Mike Power-a.k.a. ATOMIC MAN-the long-lost member of the G.I. JOE ADVENTURE TEAM. The bizarre history of this tragic hero leads to the truth behind "Project Ice Man"-and the return of another classic G.I. JOE hero!
In Shops: Jul 26, 2017

Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1896521)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on July 13th, 2017 @ 2:19pm CDT
We have the iTunes Preview for #6: M.A.S.K. Vs. the Atomic Man! https://twitter.com/hasbroupodcast/stat ... 3474660353
Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1896527)
Posted by Kurona on July 13th, 2017 @ 2:35pm CDT
Courtesy of fellow Seibertronian Daniel Adkins, we've got a 3-page preview of Revolutionaries #6 for you straight from iTunes! Featuring Kup and the rest of the squad teaming up with a couple of M.A.S.K. characters, check out the blurb and preview below and join the discussion in the forums if you like!

M.A.S.K. vs. ATOMIC MAN! The Revolutionaries team with MATT TRAKKER and the M.A.S.K. team to find Mike Power—a.k.a. ATOMIC MAN—the long-lost member of the G.I. JOE ADVENTURE TEAM. The bizarre history of this tragic hero leads to the truth behind "Project Ice Man"—and the return of another classic G.I. JOE hero!

Re: Full Preview for IDW Revolutionaries #5 (1896554)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on July 13th, 2017 @ 4:45pm CDT
So this happens after the M.A.S.K. Annual, hmm.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G.I. Joe Sky Striker Starscream Cobra Commander 2011 SDCC Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SIEGE War for Cybertron Deluxe Class COG - WEAPONIZER! Complete." on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War For Cybertron SIEGE Firedrive WFC-S1" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON BATTLE MASTERS Aimless" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron SIEGE Roadhandler & Swindler WFC-S4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Trilogy Pteraxadon Action Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Springer" on EBAY