Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14

Friday, February 2nd, 2018 2:49AM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 12,023

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Via regular source for this type of news, the comics and media website Adventures in Poor Taste!, we have a full preview for next week's offering from IDW Publishing in their ongoing Transformers comics series Lost Light!

Issue #14 brings us away from Rodimus and his crew, and back to the Scavengers, Grimlock - and a flashback sequence we've seen before with Scorponok, Shockwave and Tarn / Damus / Glitch - plus new Commander Nickel. Check it out below, and join us for a review once the book is released next week!

MACGUFFIN QUEST! The Scavengers have never had it so good. The war is a receding memory, their patchy service records have been forgotten, and the five of them can roam the galaxy as they please. All’s well that ends well? Not quite. Because unbeknownst to Krok and Co., their next adventure… will be their last.

Bullet points:

· Variant cover by Brendan Cahill!

Transformers: Lost Light #14
Written by James Roberts
Art by Brendan Cahill
Color by Joana Lafuente
Cover by Jack Lawrence
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Release Date February 7, 2018


Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14
Credit(s): AIPT
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935434)
Posted by Randomhero on February 2nd, 2018 @ 6:41am CST
Much like a lot of LL pay offs lately the Shockwave conclusion just seems like a “OH WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WE GOTTA MOVE ON!”

Shame
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935453)
Posted by Ironhidensh on February 2nd, 2018 @ 8:31am CST
Randomhero wrote:Much like a lot of LL pay offs lately the Shockwave conclusion just seems like a “OH WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WE GOTTA MOVE ON!”

Shame

It's a flashback. Thats it. The whole point was to show how Skorpinock got off Garrus 9.

I think it did it's job well, what more do you want?
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935459)
Posted by ScottyP on February 2nd, 2018 @ 8:52am CST
Ironhidensh wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Much like a lot of LL pay offs lately the Shockwave conclusion just seems like a “OH WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WE GOTTA MOVE ON!”

Shame

It's a flashback. Thats it. The whole point was to show how Skorpinock got off Garrus 9.

I think it did it's job well, what more do you want?
There's a portion of MTMTE readership that just won't ever be satisfied with the story again, no matter what gets written or drawn. I don't know how it got here, been too busy enjoying myself reading these comics.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935462)
Posted by Randomhero on February 2nd, 2018 @ 8:55am CST
Ironhidensh wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Much like a lot of LL pay offs lately the Shockwave conclusion just seems like a “OH WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WE GOTTA MOVE ON!”

Shame

It's a flashback. Thats it. The whole point was to show how Skorpinock got off Garrus 9.

I think it did it's job well, what more do you want?


Considering Shockwave has always been 50 steps ahead of everyone and had a plan to literally destroy the universe that he spent 9 million years in the works you’d think he’d have a contingency plan on dealing with one of his former pupils other than shooting the phone.For god sake he probably had a hand(hehe) in upgrading the Djd into who they all are
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935472)
Posted by Randomhero on February 2nd, 2018 @ 9:29am CST
Because I read comics. All kinds of comics. Not just “James Roberts who can do no wrong’s next masterpiece of comics”

Take off the rose tinted glasses he’s not that great of a story teller.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935483)
Posted by misfire19d on February 2nd, 2018 @ 9:58am CST
ScottyP wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Much like a lot of LL pay offs lately the Shockwave conclusion just seems like a “OH WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WRAP IT UP WE GOTTA MOVE ON!”

Shame

It's a flashback. Thats it. The whole point was to show how Skorpinock got off Garrus 9.

I think it did it's job well, what more do you want?
There's a portion of MTMTE readership that just won't ever be satisfied with the story again, no matter what gets written or drawn. I don't know how it got here, been too busy enjoying myself reading these comics.

Really, you don't know how it got here. People have been telling you on these forums for the last few years and all they get is BS like" be respectful" "you're biased". Blah Blah Blah.

Deflecting, and projection isn't going to make me buy these books. They're too far gone.

Pick up a copy of Dark Knights Metal and compare it to any IDW TF book. The difference in the quality of plot and storytelling is the wasted potential for Transformers comics.


5749 and dropping.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935497)
Posted by Crosscheck on February 2nd, 2018 @ 10:51am CST
I have a couple theories on these recent issues. 1. Tailgate definitely isn't dead. He told FM to tell Rodimus that so Cyclonus wouldn't come back for him. 2. Skids is coming out of the smelting pool.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935500)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 2nd, 2018 @ 11:05am CST
Or maybe you guys just don't like the story choices for some reason? Maybe this series isn't for you anymore and you should just part amicably, remember the good times as you seek pastures new.

Also comparing dark knights metal to tf is unfair as IDW would have to spend money they didn't have to get first tier marvel and DC writers and I bet that a lot of them would turn their noses up at the idea of writing transformers.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935510)
Posted by Grimlocktimus on February 2nd, 2018 @ 11:51am CST
Everyone is so quick to judge the newer issues but honestly we're lucky to have them... I know very few people in real life who like transformers and until I found seibertron I honestly thought the fandom was dying... the fact that people out there pour time and effort into creating these comics for the fandom is nothing short of fantastic.. you can have your opinion but you don't have to tear each other down over them... either enjoy the series or don't but don't have a conniption if someone disagrees (not that anyone in the current comments has but I see that as a running trend online these days).
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935511)
Posted by Grimlocktimus on February 2nd, 2018 @ 11:54am CST
Personally I think the recent stories are hokey, but what says the series needs a serious tone at all times, I love that the characters can be explored in depth in a media type that allows time for these things... it's just fun.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935524)
Posted by Va'al on February 2nd, 2018 @ 1:44pm CST
Randomhero wrote:Because I read comics. All kinds of comics. Not just “James Roberts who can do no wrong’s next masterpiece of comics”


Same here.

And I enjoyed this issue.


[quote]Take off the rose tinted glasses he’s not that great of a story teller.[/quote]

You don't need them to recognise that Roberts is a good writer. Great writer? Not necessarily. Good? Definitely so.



Maybe let's all stop flinging negativity around where no negativity is needed? Again, I GET people who DISLIKE the series or the issues. I do not get, at all, why it's we've reached this level of just spitting on it. I don't get it with Paramount movies, I don't get it with these comics. I really don't.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935580)
Posted by ricemazter on February 2nd, 2018 @ 4:50pm CST
Va'al wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Because I read comics. All kinds of comics. Not just “James Roberts who can do no wrong’s next masterpiece of comics”


Same here.

And I enjoyed this issue.


[quote]Take off the rose tinted glasses he’s not that great of a story teller.


You don't need them to recognise that Roberts is a good writer. Great writer? Not necessarily. Good? Definitely so.



Maybe let's all stop flinging negativity around where no negativity is needed? Again, I GET people who DISLIKE the series or the issues. I do not get, at all, why it's we've reached this level of just spitting on it. I don't get it with Paramount movies, I don't get it with these comics. I really don't.[/quote]

There's negativity and nitpicking, like people getting mad at a preview while it sets up an obvious joke about a 2nd head in a rear end, and then there's actual criticism.

I'm actually back in on this series after a choppy but good issue 13, but I think it's worth noting that this book has some pretty big flaws.

I'm going to reserve final judgement until I read the issue Wednesday night, but it is a little anticlimactic to have 3 of the scariest Decepticons in the IDW universe in a confrontation only to have them chat for a bit and leave.

Shockwave and Yarn, one at each other's throats after the latter escapes prison? How will Shockwave, master strategist survive the encouter? You could have an entire story arc about this, but Shockwave just shoots a phone and leaves.

How did Scorponok, who we haven't seen in a decade, make his escape from Garrus 9? Eh, Shockwave just sort of picked him up as a destraction and he toddled out an airlock.

If all that's going to happen is dangling these interesting chess pieces in front of us, why not have an exciting prison break or something along with Flame, who might have an interesting part to play in any escape since he's an Autobot whose crimes have been covered up by high command..

Like the ending to the mutineers trilogy, it just feels rushed to get wherever this plot is ultimately going at the cost of interesting ideas.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935634)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on February 3rd, 2018 @ 1:07am CST
Va'al wrote:Roberts is a good writer. Great writer? Not necessarily. Good? Definitely so.
Wholly a matter of opinion.[quote]Again, I GET people who DISLIKE the series or the issues. I do not get, at all, why it's we've reached this level of just spitting on it.[/quote]Each reader has his/her own opinion. If that reader dislikes it enough to give that reaction, that reader can do so. Personally, I think it's because this has gone on for so long. MTMTE started fairly well, had a few low points, but overall stayed interesting. Roberts gave us a good start. Then, the last 3rd of that book went downhill, for whatever reason he lost control of the story. Or maybe he never had control, and whoever did, stopped supervising him. And thus Dying of the Light was a very anticlimactic end to a decent story. And Lost Light was supposed to be a reboot of sorts, but it never got better. Eventually, most readers get tired of being disappointed over and over again.[quote]I don't get it with Paramount movies, I don't get it with these comics. I really don't.[/quote] It's the same thing with the movies, except those stories went down the drain a lot quicker. The first film was decent, and the rest seemed to nosedive in quality. But that's a tired discussion going on 9 years now, and it belongs in the movie forum.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935642)
Posted by Va'al on February 3rd, 2018 @ 5:51am CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Va'al wrote:Roberts is a good writer. Great writer? Not necessarily. Good? Definitely so.
Wholly a matter of opinion.


Sure. That's not what I'm taking issue with.


[quote][quote]Again, I GET people who DISLIKE the series or the issues. I do not get, at all, why it's we've reached this level of just spitting on it.[/quote]Each reader has his/her own opinion. If that reader dislikes it enough to give that reaction, that reader can do so. Personally, I think it's because this has gone on for so long. MTMTE started fairly well, had a few low points, but overall stayed interesting. Roberts gave us a good start. Then, the last 3rd of that book went downhill, for whatever reason he lost control of the story. Or maybe he never had control, and whoever did, stopped supervising him. And thus Dying of the Light was a very anticlimactic end to a decent story. And Lost Light was supposed to be a reboot of sorts, but it never got better. Eventually, most readers get tired of being disappointed over and over again.[/quote]

It's a preview. People are calling other people biased and rose-tinted and stanning because the latter people enjoyed a fucking preview. That is my issue.

You don't have to like it. You are more than welcome, and entitled to, disagree, even strongly. But can we stop implying that there's something wrong with readers who do like what they're reading, even if it's the third coming of Twilight?


[quote][quote]I don't get it with Paramount movies, I don't get it with these comics. I really don't.[/quote] It's the same thing with the movies, except those stories went down the drain a lot quicker. The first film was decent, and the rest seemed to nosedive in quality. But that's a tired discussion going on 9 years now, and it belongs in the movie forum.[/quote]

And this is a tired discussion that belongs in this section.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935645)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 3rd, 2018 @ 7:00am CST
ricemazter wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Because I read comics. All kinds of comics. Not just “James Roberts who can do no wrong’s next masterpiece of comics”


Same here.

And I enjoyed this issue.


[quote]Take off the rose tinted glasses he’s not that great of a story teller.


You don't need them to recognise that Roberts is a good writer. Great writer? Not necessarily. Good? Definitely so.



Maybe let's all stop flinging negativity around where no negativity is needed? Again, I GET people who DISLIKE the series or the issues. I do not get, at all, why it's we've reached this level of just spitting on it. I don't get it with Paramount movies, I don't get it with these comics. I really don't.


There's negativity and nitpicking, like people getting mad at a preview while it sets up an obvious joke about a 2nd head in a rear end, and then there's actual criticism.

I'm actually back in on this series after a choppy but good issue 13, but I think it's worth noting that this book has some pretty big flaws.

I'm going to reserve final judgement until I read the issue Wednesday night, but it is a little anticlimactic to have 3 of the scariest Decepticons in the IDW universe in a confrontation only to have them chat for a bit and leave.

Shockwave and Yarn, one at each other's throats after the latter escapes prison? How will Shockwave, master strategist survive the encouter? You could have an entire story arc about this, but Shockwave just shoots a phone and leaves.

How did Scorponok, who we haven't seen in a decade, make his escape from Garrus 9? Eh, Shockwave just sort of picked him up as a destraction and he toddled out an airlock.

If all that's going to happen is dangling these interesting chess pieces in front of us, why not have an exciting prison break or something along with Flame, who might have an interesting part to play in any escape since he's an Autobot whose crimes have been covered up by high command..

Like the ending to the mutineers trilogy, it just feels rushed to get wherever this plot is ultimately going at the cost of interesting ideas.[/quote]
I'm different though and the choice of actions here didn't bother me, the events played out as they should, instead of dragging out what is simply an explanation of how characters got to where they should be. I also liked how shockwave dealt with Tarn as it was simple and efficient otherwise Tarn would of ended up dead which would screw up the continuity worse then a simple error.

I can see Rodimus Primes view that people should be able to voice criticisms about a series they once liked, but I can certainly see Va'al's take on this. You can critise the work just not the author or the people who like it. Also spare a thought about how you critise it, think "if someone said this about a work in like, how would I react?"

End of the day all we are dealing with here is opinions :-)
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935646)
Posted by budmaloney on February 3rd, 2018 @ 7:08am CST
To be honest, it's been an interesting ride for the entire IDW Transformers series. Lots of changes, especially the whole Hasbro Universe thing...it made things confusing to me IMO. But LL seems isolated from all that, so it maintained its course. I have never been able to judge if a writer is good or bad, or if a director is good or bad...I find it to be out of my scope. What I can judge or communicate is how I experienced it. And so far, Lost Light has been good average but fast. The books don't focus at the moments you want them to focus on. It's like someone flipping the channels, and you see something you like but they don't go back to it. That's the feeling I've been having. Being familiar with Robert's stories, like MTME, he's pulling our legs, there is a buildup and we know it'll hit us soon.

As for the negativity, it has always been the case. The Transformers fandom specifically has been known for being toxic.

I always thought I'd be up for a good ol' Paramount movie bashing any time of day. :HEADHURTS: but I learned that's not what people necessarily want to hear. Fans are trying to enjoy the content and accept it with its flaws.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935669)
Posted by Sunstar on February 3rd, 2018 @ 10:33am CST
Disappointment and let down is sometimes hard to deal with. It sometimes feels like a bit of betrayal. This book, felt like a little too much going too fast - for me. Love the characters, love the art, the story seemed a bit fast paced.

Now going back to my opening statement - I try to be open minded. I attempt to give many things the benefit of the doubt. I have to admit, about 40% of the time I am rather confused with this series. I need to go back and read it all again, one after another to make sure I get the picture. Although this next statement is more or less directed at another series, I have never felt ire or aggravation (maybe extreme dislike) for a series outside of visionaries - that said, I am giving it the benefit of the doubt (it made me stupidly angry - and I don't like that). I am of the mindset that everyone is entitled to their feelings, and expression of their feelings, providing their feelings (and opinions) is not forced upon others. I am confused as to why people would give opinions on something not yet experienced (I cannot give my opinion on Marvel outside of not fond of the artwork.)

I value va'als reviews because he echo's a lot of my own sentiment when he does them. I try not to view them until I have had a read over first. (although sometimes I read them and get eager to go out and get that book)

As for the transformers fandom being toxic. I have spoken to moderators I work with on another forum, and it is my understanding is that every fandom has its toxic people. I was told the Rick and Morty fans were quite hostile. The fans of the forum I moderate at are quite colourful at times. I would not expect anything less than division in a fandom with a series as diverse as transformers. Its up there with Doctor Who (the Series that is your series is usually the series that drew you in (for the record, my heart lies with the 4th doctor.) People have such intense passion for their specific series that they will defend it viciously. For some its G1 (me) others Bay Movies, or Beastwars maybe Even TFprime or Rescue Bots (just to name a few). What seems forgotten across all fandoms, not just transformers, is to respect that other people will have different reason for enjoying a series.

I enjoy the Transformers Series for Starscream - don't ask why I adore him so much, but I do. I will defend him viciously - I have. People have said but... Prime is better, Megatron is better, Ironhide is better... why do you like that whiny piece of junk? My answer will always be, is Love cannot ever be fully explained and answered but its a emotion, passion, and soul rolled into one.

We are not only toxic, but passionate.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935677)
Posted by Va'al on February 3rd, 2018 @ 11:29am CST
ZeroWolf wrote:I can see Rodimus Primes view that people should be able to voice criticisms about a series they once liked, but I can certainly see Va'al's take on this. You can critise the work just not the author or the people who like it. Also spare a thought about how you critise it, think "if someone said this about a work in like, how would I react?"

End of the day all we are dealing with here is opinions :-)


Thank you. Nowhere will I ever say that anyone is not allowed to post their negative take on a piece of work or toy or media. But I am getting extremely tired, to the point of not really bothering participating in the discussion, of the 'you like this so you're wrong'.

Criticism - again - is encouraged. I encourage it with every preview and review I make sure gets posted. I encourage it with questions in the news posts. I encourage it in the discussion threads where I have time to post. It's the manner in which flinging thinly-veiled tantrums is covered up as criticism that has gotten exhausting.


Sunstar wrote:I value va'als reviews because he echo's a lot of my own sentiment when he does them. I try not to view them until I have had a read over first. (although sometimes I read them and get eager to go out and get that book)


Thank you, I appreciate these words. :)



[quote]We are not only toxic, but passionate.[/quote]

budmaloney wrote:As for the negativity, it has always been the case. The Transformers fandom specifically has been known for being toxic.


Then it's time to grow up and drop the toxicity. I'm not the only one who's exhausted and actively disheartened from participating in fandom discussions because of this attitude, and I've had enough of the 'ignore it and move on' approach.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935687)
Posted by misfire19d on February 3rd, 2018 @ 12:41pm CST
[quote][quote]Maybe let's all stop flinging negativity around where no negativity is needed? Again, I GET people who DISLIKE the series or the issues. I do not get, at all, why it's we've reached this level of just spitting on it. I don't get it with Paramount movies, I don't get it with these comics. I really don't.[/quote][/quote]

Sounds like you're just refusing to accept the criticisms as legitimate.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #14 (1935688)
Posted by Va'al on February 3rd, 2018 @ 12:42pm CST
misfire19d wrote:[quote][quote]Maybe let's all stop flinging negativity around where no negativity is needed? Again, I GET people who DISLIKE the series or the issues. I do not get, at all, why it's we've reached this level of just spitting on it. I don't get it with Paramount movies, I don't get it with these comics. I really don't.
[/quote]

Sounds like you're just refusing to accept the criticisms as legitimate.[/quote]

Sounds like you don't read my reviews, in which I've criticised almost every single issue so far.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Strongarm Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 57%
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Mega 1-Step Turbo Changer Dragonstorm" on AMAZON
You save: 51%
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition "Year of the Goat" Exclusive Masterpiece Soundwave by Hasbro" on AMAZON
You save: 47%
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Monxo and Wolfwire" on AMAZON
You save: 23%
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
You save: 22%
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Sergeant Kup and Flintlock" on AMAZON
You save: 20%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #194 - Toy Fair 2018
Twincast / Podcast #194:
"Toy Fair 2018"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, February 19th, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon