Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Sunday, July 1st, 2018 2:16am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 12,647

Fellow Seibertronian Spades has shared with us the full preview - courtesy of Comic Crusaders - for next week's new comic from IDW Publishing and their Transformers ongoing series: Lost Light #19! We return to recaps, to Scavengers, to Team Rodimus, and plenty of new challenges, with the art of Transformers comics veteran EJ Su - check it all out below, and join us next week for a review and more discussion as the final arc of the series begins here!

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Years ago, the crew of the Lost Light fought a demonic Cybertronian mutant that fed on its victims’ souls. Years later, Rodimus and Co. are about to discover that the only thing worse than a sparkeater… is an army of sparkeaters!

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Transformers News: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Credit(s): Comic Crusaders

Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1967881)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 1st, 2018 @ 3:31am CDT
Grimlock to the rescue!
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1967898)
Posted by BATTLEMASTER IIC on July 1st, 2018 @ 6:55am CDT
Grimlock jumped off the ship in his T-Rex mode :APPLAUSE:

I think a bunch of sparkeaters, and by extension Rodimus' mutinous crew, are toast. Not sure that they, especially Mainframe, can be saved.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1967921)
Posted by Stormshot_Prime on July 1st, 2018 @ 10:43am CDT
Who’s that in the ship with Riptide, First Aid, and Thunderclash?
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1967934)
Posted by RobRobRobRobRob on July 1st, 2018 @ 12:22pm CDT
I'm guessing the guy with First Aid and the others is Wipe-Out. It sounds weird, but the designs more or less line up. It may seem unlikely, given that Wipe-Out's still (supposed) to be on Troja Major, but Grimlock just fell out of the sky and the Scavengers ended up on Mederi when they asked The Magnificence to take them to Garrus-9, so what's one more random party member for this last arc or two? I could be very wrong, but who knows?
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1967963)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 1st, 2018 @ 3:14pm CDT
:lol: :lol: Love that last line. This one looks like it'll be fun. ;)^
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968027)
Posted by AlphaBass on July 1st, 2018 @ 8:49pm CDT
BATTLEMASTER IIC wrote:Grimlock jumped off the ship in his T-Rex mode :APPLAUSE:

I was going to ask if they could, since Brainstorm created a Sparkeater Gun that created the one on the LL, so maybe he has a way to reverse the effects?

Of course, with the world ending, it may not matter...
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968490)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 3rd, 2018 @ 5:52pm CDT
I love the panel of Magnus using Crankcase as a gun :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that very same section reminds me of Regeneration 1 issue 100, the whole "They're Autobots!" part and Grimlock slaughtering bots turned to monsters
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968576)
Posted by Va'al on July 4th, 2018 @ 1:39am CDT
Grimlock Rushes In
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

cue title

Story
Despite the scheduling issues, despite the digital vs print clashes, despite everything in-universe and out, we're here. We're actually here, at the end of The Quest, with a gaggle of questions still needing answers, and an army of sparkeaters at the proverbial door: Lost Light enters its last story arc, and we're here for it. Are you?

Probably not

The question is obviously rhetorical, as you're reading the review - but there is a sense of dread even in the lighter moments that the comic tries bringing with the best new pairing (that was bound to happen, and now that it does, yes, very much so), hinting at several heavy moments if not in this issue then most definitely in the arc. So I ask again: are we ready?

Swervefire? Misswerve?

The best character and related moments that stand out, ignoring the above for one moment, have to do with the dinobot that was told to wait - and obviously will not and didn't: Grimlock. He's powerful, he's sweet, he's charming and caring, and he gave fellow staffer ScottyP a fanboy blush* during his reading of the issue.

MAGNUS YES

If, then, we consider all the plot propelling and thread gathering - and if this has been said before for a previous issue I realise I was very naive but we're here now - and the way in which those are done, used, and employed throughout the issue, I'll have really only one thing to say: this is very much a Roberts script, and a fine display of his skills.

Art
As we have known for a while now, art duties will be shifting across the final arc to ease the double monthly billing (ahem), meaning that we see an old flame of the Transformers comics make his return for this issue: E.J. Su! Many fans will be very pleased about this, and the lineart is indeed very very good - but I can't let one critique slide: the shading and crosshatching that shows up over a number of characters, scenes and elements of the otherwise great visual work overall, casting.. well, a shadow unnecessarily.

see Thunderclash's chest

The colours provided by Joana Lafuente do attempt to ease some of the scratchier, more jarring linework, but with a base so dark already, even her impressive skills at keeping visual continuity and coherence with the regular art seen so far in the book cannot mask what can result very distracting indeed (see above for example).

moooody

Again, letterer Tom B Long ensures not only that the pacing of the interactions hit their mark, but also takes clearly a lot of pleasure and fun in some of the louder, wider pages of action and noises, with some of the best screams and KRUNCHes that I had seen in the series so far (see above!).

The main cover art, featuring Nick Roche and Josh Burcham displaying Team Rodimus ready to face whatever is thrown their way, is darkly mirrored by the duo's own counterpoint offered in the variant you can see in the thumbnail - and also found in our databse entry here - the two sides that used to be one has to tug at someone's strings hard.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

As I said in my opening remarks: we're here. And so is everyone else. Something that Roberts has unmistakenly been able to do since his first appearance as an official writer on the IDW comics, has been to seed (or retroactively make it so) plot points and details for the reader to almost entirely forget before bringing them back for a wider tapestry. And in this final arc, that skill is turned up to what seems to be at least a 12 - here's looking forward to a satisfying landing, with a run-up this sizeable.

It begins

All in all, it's a number of a series that will confirm to be liked by most readers who enjoy this style of script, will bring in fans looking for some official EJ Su Transformers artwork (my caveat above remains), and will not be liked by those who dislike the narrative techniques deployed in MTMTE and LL so far.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:

*I thought of many jokes involving dinosaurs and bones, be thankful I avoided them until this postscript.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968589)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 4th, 2018 @ 4:19am CDT
Thanks for the review va'al, it's sad to see this ending but I'm happy he's getting to end it his way unrushed (personal opinion may differ) I've seen other writers fail to tell an end in a convincing manner (I'm looking at you Tite Kubo, bleach could have been saved...)
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968596)
Posted by Big Grim on July 4th, 2018 @ 5:45am CDT
Looking forward to this. Heck, I've been rereading MTMTE and Lost Light and blimey. There's a LOT I missed last time round! It really has come together in a remarkable way.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968598)
Posted by Randomhero on July 4th, 2018 @ 6:38am CDT
This is a great issue! I don’t have anything be critical over. It’s fast paced, there’s actions, good use of exposition. If anything the only gripe would be that those sparkeaters really are just standing around letting stuff happen but I’d argue they seem domesticated so it’s fine.

It’s a bit predictable but that’s been LL for a while. I said the crew were the sparkeater army, Getaway and starsaber were more than likely the only ones not turned and Tyrest would be coming back as one of the Grand Architects lieutenants but I’m not gonna praise me figuring it out. There’s just loose ends and when you’ve only got 7 issues left it’s been easy to see what’s coming in sorts.’

No I liked this issue. It’s amping up. Wonderful to see EJ back and doing art. It may be more appropriate for OP but I’m just happy to see him back in transformers.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968631)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 4th, 2018 @ 9:35am CDT
"Mutineer 1 and Mutineer 2, I'll get to you later" or something like that :lol: :lol:

Also, Swerve and Misfire are the perfect pairing here
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968650)
Posted by Ishin Ookami on July 4th, 2018 @ 11:31am CDT
Misfire (to Grimlock): Hows the Baby
Ultra Magnus: Nothing makes sense anymore. :(

Easily my favorite part.

I'm loving so much of where this is going. Though I'm hoping Thunderclash finally gets to shine. The guy has been stricken with an Illness, turned inside out, and cleaved in half. I want to see him finally live up to his rep.

Also I didn't expect to see Sporponok show up again. His and Rodimus's rematch should be interesting.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968653)
Posted by Randomhero on July 4th, 2018 @ 11:53am CDT
That’s the point. Thunderclash is a joke. He’s Ace Rimmer. Everyone talks about how amazing he is but you don’t see how great he is. He is literally a gag character.

Why would you think scorponok wouldn’t return? He’s behind so much with the Cog machinations .
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968654)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 4th, 2018 @ 12:01pm CDT
Random...who's your post directed at? No one mentioned scorponok...
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968658)
Posted by Randomhero on July 4th, 2018 @ 12:35pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Random...who's your post directed at? No one mentioned scorponok...

you don’t see it either?! WTF!? It’s not on the board but it’s on the article! I thought it was glitchy or something on my end! Go to the article on the site, not the board user ishin ookami has a post that Thunderclash and Scorponok.
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968660)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 4th, 2018 @ 12:52pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:

Well that's weird. You're right, it's there but not... :HEADHURTS:
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968661)
Posted by SkyFire Prime on July 4th, 2018 @ 1:11pm CDT
I really liked the line work!
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968665)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 4th, 2018 @ 1:37pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Well that's weird. You're right, it's there but not... :HEADHURTS:

He's a brand new user, his forum post hasn't been approved yet. Burn or another mod will approve the post as soon as they are on. I can see it on here because I'm staff, so I do know it's here.

As for why it's visible on the front page, that's weird. But the swear filter doesn't work and lots of forum pics don't show up either, so there is that.

Also, wonder if Cyclonus is gonna take on just Star Saber and Rodimus the other 2? Still really hoping Getaway gets a triple pipe blast to the brain
Re: Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19 (1968686)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 4th, 2018 @ 3:10pm CDT
I see, thanks for the explanation d-max :-) as for getaway...death is too good for him, I really hope he breaks down and realises he's beat by someone better than him.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Loudmouth" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers: Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures - Repugnus Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Studio Series KSI Boss Age of Extinction" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Studio Series 43 Voyager Class KSI Boss" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Studio Series 03 Deluxe Crowbar" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots MORBOT Race Car Grey Purple" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Dark of the Moon DOTM Lot - JOLT- CRANKCASE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Deluxe WFC-GS21 Decepticon Sandstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Galactic Odyssey Biosfera Autobot Clones MISB" on EBAY