Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 11:50pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 14,005

Multiversity has become the first site to release the full preview for IDW's Optimus Prime #6! The final story of the opening story arc features some sassy cassetticons, some violent throwdowns, and even some Thundercracker! Check out the preview below, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Transformers News: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Transformers News: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Transformers News: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Transformers News: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Transformers News: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Transformers News: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Transformers News: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Transformers News: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Transformers News: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6

Credit(s): Multiversity

Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1876507)
Posted by WreckerJack on April 23rd, 2017 @ 12:40am CDT
I need sub cover B! How do I get it specifically? Gotta have my sharkies :-D
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1876581)
Posted by Nexus Knight on April 23rd, 2017 @ 10:11am CDT
WreckerJack wrote:I need sub cover B! How do I get it specifically? Gotta have my sharkies :-D

Is cover a homage to something? It looks familiar... :-?
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1876582)
Posted by Va'al on April 23rd, 2017 @ 10:13am CDT

I think I answered this elsewhere: ask your comics retailer! If they can't put it aside for you, eBay is probably your best bet.
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877362)
Posted by Va'al on April 26th, 2017 @ 3:32am CDT
Optimus ..Fine?
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
“NEW CYBERTRON”—CONCLUSION! As the Junkions reveal their ultimate plan, Optimus Prime makes a decision that will define the relationship between Earth and Cybertron for all time... but will Arcee be able to live with the fallout?

Good memory, kids

Story

The first arc of Optimus Prime, the big core book at the heart of the Hasbro Universe (take that, Crown Jewel), comes to a close in this sixth issue, and we get some closure indeed on the multiple threads dangling through the story - and some more are left to unravel for the future...

Oooh juicy

We know John Barber's propensity for the caption technique, to aid with the narration and provide some 'behind the scenes' commentary for what is actually happening in the gutters between panels - but this time, despite the very good writing, it's perhaps the very first time I've found it clash a little with the story itself. Having Optimus Prime narrate his own arc just felt ..off, at times.

shots fired

The other stories, the other faces, the other characters around which the issue and the arc revolve, on the other hand, are still really quite pleasing. There is a lot happening all in one place (if you want a hand in catching up on the roles, our database entry might help!), both in the past and in the present, and it's all satisfyingly tantalising for more story threads from here.

token human panel

The way in which Optimus is perceived on the many sides of the issues, from the colonist recruits to Aileron and Pyra Magna, to Soundwave and Jetfire's past and present outlook and opinions, to how Earth sees him as coloniser and invader - the story is in no way at its end, if anything we have a new fraught beginning of a much bigger story to be told. And then there's that last page...

Art

Kei Zama is still so much joy to follow through the pages, be it for organic, Cybertronian, Cybertrorganic, landscapes, battles, dialogue or face-offs - be they blasting or verbal, in the present or past - and I'm extremely pleased to see the variations across the Sharkticon ranks as well and variety in humans, who do not obviously have designs as distinctive as the robot protagonists.

I MEAN

The issue also relies a lot on heavy visual cues for resolutions - as well as the trademark time shifts and parallels - allowing for more of Josh Burcham's effective colouring to blend with Zama's linework. The lighter moments, not necessarily in tone, are impressive where the writing may not reach, and any lingering shadow is that much darker for it.

FLASH (aahhaaa saviouroftheuniverse)

As for the lettering, I am still in awe at how Tom B. Long manages to juggle so many things at once in pages that can be extremely busy, between visuals and text. Never mind some of the fight scenes, the ink work and dynamism - we still follow narration; top marks. And cover wise, while the veteran roster of Zama/Burcham (SkyLynx rider), Coller/Bove (face-off), Griffith/Perez (Sharkpile) is a wonder to behold, I'd like to congratulate Jin Kim on some really solid output with IDW covers this month - see thumbnail for proof.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

I was somehow expecting more from a conclusion, at this stage. Not that what we got wasn't a good one, mind you, but something felt a little underplayed - which might be beneficial for the wider game in the long run, and future stories, but leaves a little anticlimactic here. Soundwave's role, the explanation of his presence by Megatron's side, Jetfire's role in particular, feel well rounded enough to allow it, sure, but Optimus' actions are a bit.. whelming.

irony

Things I am looking forwards to, nonetheless: Jazz and the exploration of his 'getting to know Earth' storyline, so very much. More Thundercracker in an active role. More challenges to Optimus, even - in spite of - apparent changes of heart/mind. Ramifications of his role in the eye of the new recruits. THAT ENDING PAGE.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: - out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877370)
Posted by Bronzewolf on April 26th, 2017 @ 5:26am CDT
Va'al wrote:
FLASH (aahhaaa saviouroftheuniverse)

Just a bot, with a bot's courage... :D
A+ referencing you got there.

I love the colouring in this. It's SO ink-heavy and way saturated and shadowed that it screams vintage comic to me. I can't pin point exactly to What it reminds me of, though. But it's so cool. Very different from the gundam-looking style we normally see.
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877371)
Posted by Rainmaker on April 26th, 2017 @ 5:40am CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:

Is cover a homage to something? It looks familiar... :-?

Is this post sarcastic? If not, it's a homage to Sharknado probably.

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877375)
Posted by Kurona on April 26th, 2017 @ 6:13am CDT

This was an excellent issue and arc that really proves OP isn't just that other comic that's happening alongside LL; it's a fantastic story with fantastic characters in its own right. God I love being a Transformers fan right now :D

I also really like that little colony at the end. Seems like that's making sure they can do crossovers with the rest of the Hasbro universe without having to interfere with Optimus. Sure there's no major characters there yet but we'll see...
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877376)
Posted by Big Grim on April 26th, 2017 @ 7:51am CDT
Kurona wrote:God I love being a Transformers fan right now :D

It's something of a golden age I feel. Three quality comics, fantastic toyline (though I no longer collect main lines, even MPS are slowing down for me) and thanks to Takara and 3P, excellent Masterpiece figures. Dunno about cartoons though.
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877381)
Posted by ScottyP on April 26th, 2017 @ 8:26am CDT
Kurona wrote:I'm somehow only just noticing since Roulette's toy had a very different face, but do all the colonists have a faceplate and eyes and hence Primus Apothesis? That's a pretty sweet touch.
While it hasn't been verbally stated to be PA, 2 (or maybe 3) has a short scene with them taking off the faceplates, and that made it seem pretty apparent that PA is what's up! I like it, indeed.
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877442)
Posted by Va'al on April 26th, 2017 @ 1:18pm CDT
Some more Optimus Prime news from IDW Publishing comes in the form of some cover art for issue #7, tentatively due in May, courtesy of both artist Kei Zama's Twitter account and the PreviewsWorld listing here. Zama has included clean lineart, plus Josh Burcham's coloured version, and Andre Griffith takes on the other cover seen for the issue, à la Thundercracker - check them out below!

With the Junkion invasion resolved peacefully, Optimus Prime takes a moment to plan the Autobot's next move on earth.

Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877448)
Posted by Kurona on April 26th, 2017 @ 1:31pm CDT
That beach cover is the friggin' best. I love Thundercracker so much
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877450)
Posted by Randomhero on April 26th, 2017 @ 1:46pm CDT
My god...that damn dog has floaties...
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877481)
Posted by DeadCaL on April 26th, 2017 @ 4:19pm CDT
I like the beach cover, but eeesh, is that pain or joy on her face? :-?
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877484)
Posted by Va'al on April 26th, 2017 @ 4:24pm CDT
DeadCaL wrote:I like the beach cover, but eeesh, is that pain or joy on her face? :-?

I like Andrew Griffith. I really do. I have more art by him than anyone else in my collection.
But his human faces sometimes are just.... off.
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877486)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 26th, 2017 @ 4:54pm CDT
BUSTER HAS FLOATIES
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1877759)
Posted by Va'al on April 27th, 2017 @ 3:12pm CDT
This is fun. Not news, but definitely fun.
Burcham playing with colours.

Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1881348)
Posted by william-james88 on May 12th, 2017 @ 11:42pm CDT
iTunes has a preview up for the upcoming Optimus Prime 7 comic.

Here is a description followed by the preview, enjoy!

Description
With the Junkion invasion resolved peacefully, Optimus Prime takes a moment to plan the Autobot's next move on Earth.

Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1882205)
Posted by WreckerJack on May 16th, 2017 @ 11:32pm CDT
Preview World has posted Transformers: Optimus Prime #8 incentive cover and subscription cover B. We have posted them below so you can have a look to decide which cover you'd like before they become available.

The summary tells us that Jazz will have a leading role in this issue:
“Jazz confronts his past-and the Autobot’s future-in front of millions of television viewers. But will he make the people of Earth understand Optimus Prime’s mission… or turn against it?”

The incentive cover has Optimus Prime and the Subscription cover features Jetfire. these comics will be available on June 14th, 2017.

Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1882234)
Posted by Kurona on May 17th, 2017 @ 5:34am CDT
You know when you've recently fallen in love with a character who hasn't had the best past and/or recent history, so seeing them smiling in a peaceful situation by themselves doing something they probably enjoy makes you happy?

God I love that Jetfire cover.
Re: Full Preview - IDW Optimus Prime #6 (1882379)
Posted by Va'al on May 17th, 2017 @ 3:06pm CDT
This is a really interesting analysis of Zama's layout work.
http://refinedrobotco.blogspot.it/2017/ ... -zama.html

Zama deploys some of those tools mentioned to work within the tight spaces of the page, to create tension and demonstrate space or a lack thereof. I want to break down two of my favourite pages from issue two. The interrogation of Jetfire by Prowl, two pages, one room.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #253 - Danger Zone
"Danger Zone"
Posted: Sunday, June 21st, 2020

Buy "Lot Of 22 Transformers Soundwave G1 Walmart Exclusive Reissue Buzzsaw Cassette" on EBAY
Buy "RARE Transformers Blue Bumblebee Robots In Disguise 3 Step Changer Energon Boost" on EBAY
Buy "Glacius Incomplete Mini-Cons Robots in Disguise 2015 RID Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Fixit 100% Complete Legion 2015 RID Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark Of The Moon Human Alliance Skids Complete" on EBAY
Buy "PC-12 UPGRADE TRANSFORMERS COMBINER WARS/WARRIORS UNITE COMPUTRON US SELLER" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS TAKARA LEGENDS RATTRAP LOOSE COMPLETE AS SHOWN" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Blast Off" on EBAY