Saturday, August 5th, 2017 10:53am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,463

Still operating on the lack of an embargo, we have a repeat of the full preview for IDW Publishing's Hasbro Universe First Strike comics crossover event - which we have seen before. What is new is the interview with writers Mairghread Scott and David Rodriguez, a brief one mind you, in the backmatter of the first issue of the Transformers meets GI Joe meets MASK meets Micronauts meets Rom the Spaceknight. Check it out below!

Can you give us a hint of any major surprises or revelations that readers can expect from First Strike?

MS: Well, Scarlett’s gonna throw down with the last person on Earth she wants to fight. Anyone who thinks Shazraella’s gonna spend this book clinging to some-one’s shoulder is sorely mistaken. Optimus is in for a rude awakening and Elita One is going to prove once again that there’s a reason she’s the same color as Cybertronian blood. Oh, and that’ll take us to the end of Issue 2.

DR: I’m not sure what we’re clear to say this early on. But I can say that this isn’t just an “event” series—the universe is going to be permanently changed in a meaningful way by the end of First Strike. Hopefully we can get some jaws and f-bombs to drop. When working with characters with such a long history, how do you raise the bar and bring readers something they haven’t seen before?

MS: The most challenging part was more tonal than anything else. Till All Are One is a very political book. G.I. Joe is very balls-to-the-wall crazy action. Micronauts is fast-paced with a lot of wry humor. M.A.S.K. and Rom take on a darker tone. We wanted to feel like all these books could live together and still give fans each book’s unique aspect.

DR: I think the best thing we can do for the readers, and luckily Mairghread and David Hedgecock have been a big advocate for this as well, is to make sure that we are engaging all the characters in this story with emotional stakes that resonate with our readers. Sure, we can put Cybertron at risk with a huge, summer blockbuster style event and visuals, but without that relatable, human backbone to the story, it feels hollow. We are going to do our best to deliver that experience to fans.

Are there any characters you’re going to work with in First Strike that you haven’t had the chance to write before? Any characters you’ve been away from for a while that you’re excited to write again?

MS: This is my first time writing Scarlett and I am psyched. I’ve been wanting to write her for years. And it’s always a thrill to write Optimus. It’s been surprising how fun all the Joes are to write, but the real stand-out right now is Shazraella. She’s such a stuck-up, overconfident, condescending...well, every line of dialogue she has is a joy.

DR: Scarlett has always been a favorite. I was glad that I got to use her in the M.A.S.K. Annual and she has a large part in First Strike. She is just a fantastic character to write. But part of the fun of First Strike is the opportunity to discover and expand on characters I wasn’t as familiar with growing up and exploring how they interact with each other. But don’t be surprised if you see Sunstreaker. He is, after all, the prettiest damn Transformer that ever rolled out.

And finally, if you could be a Transformer,who or what would you want the ability to transform into?

MS: JET! JET! JET! Wait—! Robot dragon! No, 1950s UFO! ...Did anyone call shark/bird yet?

This may take a while.

DR: Oh, I would totally want to be Shockwave. Not only is his design incredible, but he might be the most stone-cold, ghost-faced, unflappable character in the entire universe. I don’t know if you remember, but Megatron called him from Earth after 4 million years and Shockwave picked up on the FIRST RING. No hemming and hawing, or “Where the hell you been?!” He was just “Yes, Lord Megatron.” 4 million years and he didn’t blink. That’s just badass.

Transformers News: Interview with IDW First Strike Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike

Credit(s): IDW

This article was last modified on Tuesday, August 8th, 2017 3:41am CDT

Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902300)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:01pm CDT
Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902303)
Posted by Va'al on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:27pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Sorry, Broseph. Must hurt, my proud-standing sugarloaf, to see her name remind you that you, my pal, are baffled to the point that you - o dudemeister - feel the need to comment everytime. Such a toll it must take, my dude.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902305)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:29pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902306)
Posted by Va'al on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:33pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.

My pal! Using some Irish on the boards, stud? Yay for linguistic diversity, dudeicus!
Thank you once again, tiger, for some excellent contributions to the discussion.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902307)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:39pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.

Thanks for being a fan of my cac. I know a fan when I see one and you're a fan ;)
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902310)
Posted by Va'al on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:52pm CDT
Not a true fan - we have a thread for that.

Ain't comics swell! GI Joe on Cybertron, huh? What next? Transforming robots?!
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902312)
Posted by Nexus Knight on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:54pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.

I feel like someone got drunk someone during this exchange... /:)

Also, I absolutely love Skywarp's tag. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902313)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:57pm CDT
Va'al wrote:Not a true fan - we have a thread for that.

Ain't comics swell! GI Joe on Cybertron, huh? What next? Transforming robots?!

You're definitely a true fan. If this was ppv you'd be subscribed kid.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902314)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:57pm CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.

I feel like someone got drunk someone during this exchange... /:)

Also, I absolutely love Skywarp's tag. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

I love my fans.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902345)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 5th, 2017 @ 8:06pm CDT
Va'al wrote:Ain't comics swell! GI Joe on Cybertron, huh? What next? Transforming robots?!

You're right, Va'al! Comics are swell. I cannot wait to read First Strike. It looks really good.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902736)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 8th, 2017 @ 9:37am CDT
In case anyone needs a refresher on the Hasbro Universe events/needs to catch up on a title you didn't read, Action and Adventure just released a special First Strike Primer podcast. Perfect for anyone curious about any titles they haven't read. http://hasbrouniverse.libsyn.com/bonus- ... -to-strike
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902891)
Posted by Va'al on August 9th, 2017 @ 1:34am CDT
Strike One
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
The crossover of the year is here! Earth is finally ready to officially join the Cybertronian Council of Worlds and appoint their first representative to the Council. Too bad the ceremony is interrupted by a massive explosion and the forces of COBRA! Now it’s up to Scarlett, Optimus Prime, G.I. Joe and the Autobots to save two worlds!

Because it worked so well last time...

Story

It begins. For a long while now IDW Publishing and the comics media mill have been promoting the first full crossover (since Revolution, anyway) for the various Hasbro properties licensed to the comics world: this is where we start, with issue #1, by Mairghread Scott and David A. Rodriguez - which also contains an additional story - The Origins of Evil, Part One: Redcliffe Club, written by John Barber. I'll talk more about this below, in summary.

Tone set

The first thing to note is that, due to IDW scheduling issues, this beginning of a brave new world in the Hasbro Universe is actually spoiling at least one of the series that lead up to it (Revolutionaries, in case you were curious), and probably needs a little more context from both Optimus Prime and GI Joe to actually reach the starting point we're at.

...wait for it...

That is obviously no fault of the writers, and what they do offer in terms of plot is actually a satisfying approach to a crossover: easing in the various factions, with GI Joe and Transformers taking the first brunt, rather than crashing all of the properties at once. The villains of the piece are set up, and the coda story does some more to attempt round-off the major players on this side too, if briefly so.

note: this gag is excellent

The better part of the story though, and the only one that can be fairly judged this far, is most definitely how the various characters are built up and interact with each other - Skywarp and Scarlett's Joes are clearly the stand-outs here - something that a recent interview had probably clarified, at least for me. We'll have to see how the wider game is played, now that the initial set-up has begun.

Art

Max Dunbar is at the helm here for the issue - and I can't help but wonder why the art doesn't feel up to his usual standards. There's nothing horribly wrong, but something in the designs for the Transformers in particular, especially on profile shots, and every other odd panel just don't line up with his usually stellar work on Micronauts. Perhaps a tighter deadline for the big event?

Similar issues can be held up to Netho Diaz (pencils) and Walden Wong (inks), though I wonder whether having lines and inks applied to the main story, and leave the back-up to a single artist may in fact be a solution to the problem. Again, it's not bad, it's just not overly consistent, and I can it putting readers off.

..eep

In terms of colours, Ander Zarate - Dunbar's partner in crime on Micronauts - is doing well to bring some of the sheen of Till All Are One for Cybertron, but perhaps uses a little too much lighting on the faces of the characters, and Scarlett suffers the most in close-ups and wider shots alike.

Similarly for David Garcia Cruz on the Barber-coda, some of the colours used on the heavier lines makes jawlines and facial features a little too flat at times (Baron Ironblood in particular), something that seems to happen with these books with a regular frequency.

There are good moments too!

Veteran on robotic lettering Tom B. Long takes on this issue too, and the captions that some find irritating in other books are actually the best solution (and placement) in an event like this trying to attract new readers - and there's a pretty spiffy Kachoom to marvel at, too, before a BUDDABUDDABUDDA.

Covers? There are many. The one spotlighted in the thumbnail is the variant from Sara Pitre Durocher, showing the robot side of the event from a crowd perspective - as most of the other artists chose the character spotlights instead. You can view them all in our Comics Database, as usual, and choose your favourite.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Much like the case of Revolution, the visuals do not shine kindly on the artists involved, as all of the people working on here are usually a pleasure to see on the page. The pressure of the event, the scheduling issues, editorial shortstaffing - I am most definitely giving the benefit of the doubt to all involved for the first issue, but I can see this heading in a similar direction to the previous project, in terms of art, meaning that creators will feel much better when the five issues are over.

I'm also down with just a series of Skywarp/Roadblock's fashion commentary

As for the story, however, there are no real complaints from me so far. The issue is most definitely a GI Joe story set-up, that just happens to use the setting of Cybertron - and that is not a bad thing! Easing into a crossover is a much better plan than expected, and I am glad this approach was taken. I am definitely interested to see how the other franchises will be brought in, at this stage, and that's the best outcome that could've happened, really.

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902912)
Posted by Kurona on August 9th, 2017 @ 4:19am CDT
Better than I thought it'd be, which is a pleasant surprise.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902948)
Posted by ScottyP on August 9th, 2017 @ 7:29am CDT
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902950)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 9th, 2017 @ 7:30am CDT
ScottyP wrote:Does it seem super obvious to anyone else that Baron Ironblood isn't Colton, but Chameleon posing as him? It's the only way I can explain Spike being all "hurr-durr gotta help these Cybertronians" without discounting that as a failure in writing.

But Chameleon is a Joe.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902954)
Posted by Randomhero on August 9th, 2017 @ 7:43am CDT

Someone didn't read issue zero that revealed Joe Colton is alive and is working with a cobra to be all xenophobic.

And yeah, Cameleon is a GI Joe and present in the comic.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902960)
Posted by Randomhero on August 9th, 2017 @ 8:23am CDT
I like the issue. I'm just reading revoltionaries and the TF books but I followed it fine.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1902968)
Posted by ScottyP on August 9th, 2017 @ 8:55am CDT

I'll spell it out more carefully this time.

Spike doesn't like Transformers. Not a bit. This is long established. Due to this, it struck me as odd that he's going with the flow so easily, while on Cybertron no less. It seems like one of those things where, for Ironblood's "First Strike" to work, he'd need some help from the team assigned to this Cybertronian mission. Spike is a complete prick who'd totally help with that sort of thing, but he's also the kind of prick that'd want some dramatic subterfuge. Thus, he conspires with another team member. Who do we not see from that team? Hi-Tech, Mainframe, and Chameleon. One of these is a shape shifter. So is Zartan, if you like that better, and it gives a connection to the MASK book.

Anyhow, I think Chameleon is the most telling absence because of Flint's presence. She's been close to him at almost all times since their introduction in Optimus Prime. Odd that she's not there at a critical moment for Flint's Joe squad.

Then there's Scarlett strongly suggesting something's up with "Joe Colton", thinking he may be under someone's control. He dead. This is some crafty shapeshifter work, probably outside the realm of wraith magic this time. Maybe.

Finally, Mercy Gale and Storm Shadow got cooperative pretty quickly, and some of Gale's dialogue suggests she sees through this facade being put up.

Of course, I could be wrong and this is just some dumb stuff and FS 0 wasn't a magician's misdirection like I think it is. If this doesn't go any deeper than what's on the surface, I'm disappointed in the lack of creativity.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1903122)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 9th, 2017 @ 2:12pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:^ You're both missing my point by a mile. Randomhero missed it by, well, like, didn't even get in the same orbit :lol: All good though, typing on my phone in between meetings so some brevity is in order.

I'll spell it out more carefully this time.

Sorry, Scotty, but I think you're reaching for something that isn't there. Colton is Baron Ironblood. Now I'm not necessarily a fan of that idea, but there's really nothing to suggest he's being mind controlled. He thinks the Transformers are going to destroy humanity and so he's taking premature action to ensure that doesn't happen. Also, if Chameleon working for Cobra kinda invalidates her arc from back in Cobra. I think Scarlett suggesting something is wrong with Colton is her wishing that her father figure won't do this horrible thing. Also, the flashback with Dr. X takes place after the Action Man mini, where Storm Shadow was already working for Dr. X.

As for my thoughts on this issue, I liked it. Of course, it would have been better if I could've read Revolutionaries #8 first. But I liked that it felt more toned down than Revolution. This honestly feels more like a Transformers/Joe crossover than something that brings the entire universe together. We'll see if that remains true throughout the event or not.

I also loved the backup story. It makes me wonder how long Colton has actually been Ironblood. Assuming that First Strike #0 takes place sometime before Revolution and Colton wasn't active as Ironblood before that, that makes Ironblood a very recent villain and also puts the events of the Action Man mini IMMEDIATELY before Revolution.
Re: Full Preview & Interview with IDW First Strike #1 Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike (1903380)
Posted by ScottyP on August 10th, 2017 @ 8:23am CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:Sorry, Scotty, but I think you're reaching for something that isn't there. Colton is Baron Ironblood.
You're proobably right about that :)

Daniel Adkins wrote:Now I'm not necessarily a fan of that idea
This is why. I share a similar feeling, I'm also not a fan of it. It feels cheap? Is that the word I'm looking for? Something about it rings hollow and I'm grasping at straws wanting it to be more.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers - Generations Select - Voyager - Sandstorm - Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary Sandstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2016 Generations Titans Return Deluxe Class SKULLSMASHER & GRAX!" on EBAY
Buy "Takara TOMY Transformers Legends LG32 Chromedome Headmasters Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary SANDSTORM Voyager NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Skullsmasher Grax Skullcruncher g1 headmaster wfc" on EBAY