Tuesday, June 13th, 2017 11:08am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 13,285

Because some websites are more equal than others, Bleeding Cool have a full preview available for IDW Publishing's First Strike #0 comic, which is out this Wednesda for free and which kickstarts the whole event that will affect the Hasbro Universe in the comics - in spite of the regular IDW schedule and storylines, and straight up spoiling Revolutionaries. Also included in the preview is a checklist for all the comics taking part in the crossover, including a 'classified' title launching in December.

Fellow Seibertronian Daniel Adkins, also part of the Hasbro Universe Action and Adventure Podcast, has done some digging and figured out who the missing series might be about: the long-rumoured Visionaries. Check out the checklist and preview below!

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed

Credit(s): Bleeding Cool,

This article was last modified on Tuesday, June 13th, 2017 3:41pm CDT

Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889126)
Posted by Kurona on June 13th, 2017 @ 11:27am CDT
"So that's what happened to Blitzwing"
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889128)
Posted by leokearon on June 13th, 2017 @ 11:32am CDT
Still waiting for Zoids to come back
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889152)
Posted by ScottyP on June 13th, 2017 @ 12:39pm CDT

The unexpected nature of the apparent crux of First Strike's high level plot would be good, if only said plot actually was. This looks bad and I can't imagine anyone reading this preview and going "wow, better go put in my subs!"

leokearon wrote:Still waiting for Zoids to come back
Maybe they'll make a return with Grimlock and MP3. And Brandon.
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889183)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 13th, 2017 @ 2:06pm CDT
From everything we've seen, it looks like Revolutionaries was designed to flow right into First Strike. And if since we're getting Visionaries after the event and General Blitz is talking about magic, I love the idea that the Talisman has a connection to the magical light. It certainly lines up when you consider that the individual Visionaries all have animal motifs, so tying them into Onyx in the same way Micronus was tied into the Micronauts works.
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889213)
Posted by ricemazter on June 13th, 2017 @ 5:28pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't "toss out Revolution's main inciting conflict, drone on about Onyx's MacGuffin, and get set for the fourth doom-crisis to hit Cybertron in the past year."

leokearon wrote:Still waiting for Zoids to come back
Maybe they'll make a return with Grimlock and MP3. And Brandon.

What was Revolution's inciting conflict and how are they throwing it out? Not criticizing, I never bothered to read revolution.
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889229)
Posted by no-one on June 13th, 2017 @ 6:46pm CDT
I need a clean version of this for my phone wallpaper stat!

But for the time being, this will make due.
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889245)
Posted by ScottyP on June 13th, 2017 @ 8:10pm CDT
ricemazter wrote:

leokearon wrote:Still waiting for Zoids to come back
Maybe they'll make a return with Grimlock and MP3. And Brandon.

What was Revolution's inciting conflict and how are they throwing it out? Not critzicizing, I never bothered to read revolution.
Rom killed Joe Colton. Snowball started down the hill from there.

Slightly longer version with important context: Rom killed a Dire Wraith that had taken over the body of Joe Colton, meaning he was dead already.

This throws out that idea which cheapens it for me, and also makes me less interested in the Joe side of things. This is because the way Rev presented the Joes, which then progressed through the new book, was as a smaller group of characters without too much continuity baggage to go dig into.
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889248)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 13th, 2017 @ 8:28pm CDT
Is there really much continuity baggage with Colton that wasn't made clear in Revolution/Revolutionaries? He's the original G.I. Joe and former head of the G.I. Joe team. That's all you really need to know. Hell, Colton only showed up with the third Joe series, while Scarlett has been there since day one.
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889390)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on June 14th, 2017 @ 12:38pm CDT
None of my local comic shops got this!
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889397)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 14th, 2017 @ 1:27pm CDT
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889406)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 14th, 2017 @ 2:16pm CDT
Blitzwing, you deserved so much more than to only show up in awful crossover events getting tortured
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889417)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 14th, 2017 @ 2:37pm CDT
Gotta love everyone saying something is awful before its even come out.
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889435)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 14th, 2017 @ 3:19pm CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:Gotta love everyone saying something is awful before its even come out.

Revolution was bad, basically everything involved with the transformers since the hasbro universe kicked off has been crap. It's annoying and the universe should really have not been done, or at least given another full year or 2 before they even attempted it.
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889439)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 14th, 2017 @ 3:34pm CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Well you might be able to guess my feelings on the Hasbro Universe based on my signature, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Revolution was a fun, bombastic event that had the feel of what we all did when we were little kids, mixing our toys up. It had problems here and there, but it was overall solid. Revolutionaries has been a fantastic title since the beginning and has really helped to flesh out the universe. Optimus Prime has been really solid and enjoyable, while Lost Light has just been more of the mediocrity that started to show towards the end of MTMTE Season 2. And of course, TAAO continued to prove to be incredible with really great character driven stories.
And with the exception of MASK (which is utter garbage) the rest of the Hasbro Universe line has been pretty solid. ROM is great, Micronauts is fun (even if poorly paced at times), and G.I. Joe is really fun, going for more sci-fi action than the realistic military stuff that always put me off from Joe.
What specifically about First Strike looks so awful to you?
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889444)
Posted by Kurona on June 14th, 2017 @ 4:33pm CDT
Personally speaking I thought Revolution was the worst story IDW's main Transformers continuity has ever put out. Yes, even above All Hail Megatron. Yes, possibly even above Transformers/Avengers. It's thankfully not as bad a comic as, say, Dreamwave; but it's still pretty dire.

Despite that, I kind of love the expanded universe - they've handled it and the crossing over material pretty well so far with only a few outstanding annoyances like Skywarp in GI Joe. The only title affected by it in any way is OP, which so far is only affected by it in extremely minor ways beyond the loss of Skywarp and Kup (who weren't big players to begin with and I much prefer Kup in Revolutionaries anyway), and along with TAAO that ongoing has managed to beat all expectations this year. Lost Light, I'll give you, this hasn't been a particularly good arc (in fact unless we count Dark Cybertron, it might just be the worst in MTMTE/LL's run), but that's nothing to do with the expanded universe.

That said, I'm not looking forward to First Strike as it's looking to be how to do a crossover in the worst possible way. I'm not really able to sum up my thoughts on why this is at the moment aside from the fact that they really shouldn't be following in Marvel's footsteps and doing another huge event comic this quickly no matter how good it is (especially with, apparently, a THIRD huge event crossover planned for 2018). I just wanted to say that as someone who actually enjoys the Hasbroverse for what it is, how it's proven itself in Revolutionaries, how it's shown to not be intrusive in the slightest with OP and the potential it has and as someone who has enjoyed all three Transformers comics this year to varying degrees (four if we count Revolutionaries), I'm not looking forward to First Strike, nor did I enjoy Revolution in the slightest nor do I support the constant yearly event crossovers no matter how much I ardently defend the Hasbroverse. It's getting to a point of frustration and being hard to follow. And I really, really, REALLY do not like that Transformers readers are being forced to care about 5 entirely different franchises which have barely had a chance to live yet. It would be one thing if they'd been around for 3 or 4 years before another crossover happened and we'd gotten a chance to get used to them and the universe; but these are just coming at us so hard and fast it's difficult to accept this as anything but a forced sales push.

And I'm not just saying this as someone who loves Transformers and wants the other franchises to just go away and not interfere in my sacred temple of alien robots. This isn't good for any of the comics involved. Since most only just started in late 2015, they're barely getting any time to develop as their own thing before getting pushed into crossover hell and huge, all-encompassing important events. Even if the comics are good - and a fair majority are better than a lot of people give them credit for - whatever unique identities they have are quickly washed away into a tide of big, important all-encompassing You Must Read This It Is Huge events rather than being allowed to evolve and grow as their own thing. This isn't good for anyone whether they're a Transformers fan, a ROM fan, or someone from outside who just wants to read a decent fucking comic. Optimus Prime, Action Man and Micronauts are all comics I really want to recommend to my friends who don't know their Shockwaves from their Bumblebees, but exactly how enticing is it going to be when the reading order I give them involves so many crossovers that they have to read to know what the bleedin' hell is going on? It's not exciting to get into a new comic and only four issues in having to get involved in a huge crossover involving 5 other comics which you might not have even heard of. And it's not fun having to do the same thing twelve issues later either!

I have to honest, most of my problems here stem from the fact that it's happening so soon. If this crossover was happening in 2021 instead of now, I'd be far, FAR more excited for it! You know why? Because by that point, all these comics would have had time to breathe. I would have had time to read and appreciate ROM, GI Joe etc. on their own as their own individual stories without crossovers interrupting every few issues. I would have grown to love them and the unique identities they had developed. And I would be really friggin' excited to see all those unique identities collaborate together on something truly special that doesn't come around often.

I remember watching a review not so long ago of the Superman vs. Spiderman comic. One of the things specifically brought up in that review due to the comic apparently being a very good example of it was how to do a fight scene. A bad fight scene has just punch after punch after punch with no breaks; where everything is huge and exaggerated and it just gets boring quickly. With Superman vs. Spiderman, you see the wind-up and THEN the punch. You're allowed to see what gives these hits weight, and because they're spaced out much more they hence have the impact they're supposed to have and feel much more important than if they were just one after another.
And I feel the same should be applied to how you treat crossovers. We have to let the comics develop on their own to know WHY them having an event together is important; why it's so significant that this ROM character is fighting this GI Joe character or why we should care about this MASK character working with Optimus Prime. The wind-up, and then the punch. But right now that does not seem to be the Hasbroverse's policy. Its policy is punch, punch, punch, punch, punch.
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889448)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 14th, 2017 @ 4:55pm CDT

Btw, we now have advanced solicits for the October issues. https://www.newsarama.com/34891-transfo ... trike.html I love seeing Ayana/Mayday and Arcee teaming up!
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889449)
Posted by Kurona on June 14th, 2017 @ 4:58pm CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:Excellent points, Kurona. I can definitely understand the fear of event fatigue. But I have faith in IDW, especially since they've said that they planned this out in advanced.

Yupyup; don't take this as me giving up on IDW - they've gained my trust immensely with three excellent Transformers ongoings (and a fair few Hasbroverse ongoings!), so even if this is a terrible schedule and gives us no time to breathe; I'm still gonna be following. Still love these stories, just these constant events gets on my nerve :BOOM:

Niiiice, I like Ayana :)
Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889553)
Posted by WreckerJack on June 15th, 2017 @ 4:51am CDT
If you have not already had a chance to check out the series, IDW is offering a Free Digital Download of First Strike #0. We don't know how long this free deal will be available, so get it while you can!

The Transformers are a massively powerful, ancient alien race that has been warring with itself for millions of years. That war has brought death and destruction to every planet it has touched. And now, The Transformers have annexed earth into their galactic empire. History tells us this could be a problem. What, if anything, can one person do to save a planet? What sacrifices must be made to save mankind? …How do you destroy all The Transformers?

Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889556)
Posted by Coptur on June 15th, 2017 @ 6:35am CDT
Some thoughts i had on First Strike what could be a head.... >:oP

Re: Full Preview of IDW First Strike #0 (Spoilers), Plus New Visionaries Series Possibly Confirmed (1889591)
Posted by ScottyP on June 15th, 2017 @ 9:52am CDT
I'm a little more OK with Krieger and Ironblood as credible villains now that I looked into the Binaltech connection. If they're planning to invade using some permutation of that idea (sparks or souls or something in TF or TF-like bodies) that could be a cool thing. Possibly how Shazraella gets to be how she looks on one of those covers?

Alternately ;) , dig up those Eukarians and use their sparks, perhaps? There are Binaltech/Alternity/etc designs for Shockwave, OP, Prowl, Bee, and Ironhide/Ratchet (using Broadcast) all ready to go.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers SIEGE War for Cybertron Deluxe Class COG - WEAPONIZER! Complete." on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War For Cybertron SIEGE Firedrive WFC-S1" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON BATTLE MASTERS Aimless" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron SIEGE Roadhandler & Swindler WFC-S4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Trilogy Pteraxadon Action Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Springer" on EBAY