Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot)

Sunday, December 4th, 2016 8:23am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 21,249

The final tie-in book for the IDW Publishing multi-franchise crossover, definitely not decided by Hasbro, hits the shelves - digital and physical - next week, and we have the full preview to share with you all. Check it out below, and prepare yourselves for the comic, its review coming after the release, and the inevitable discussion in the Energon Pub!

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye: Revolution #1
James Roberts & Nick Roche (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
A DATE WTH DESTINY! After years of doing very little, Krok, Crankcase, Fulcrum, Spinister, and Misfire think they can wriggle out of anything—but not even they can avoid a heavily-promoted multi-franchise crossover. It’s the Scavengers Versus Your Childhood in a story that exposes all other art for the sham it is.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
What will the universe’s worst DECEPTICONS make of the world’s greatest crossover?
One last dance with the your favorite DECEPTICONS before LOST LIGHT begins next month!
The entire creative team that launched MTMTE returns!
Variant cover by Ken Christansen, part of a 13-part connected cover! Connects with all 13 Revolution issues and one-shots!

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot)

Credit(s): IDW

Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845255)
Posted by Va'al on December 4th, 2016 @ 10:14am CST
You Want a Revolution? I Want a Revelation
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
LAST STAND IN AUTOBOT CITY! It’s all come to this—TRANSFORMERS vs. ROM vs. MICRONAUTS vs. G.I. JOE vs. M.A.S.K. vs. the ultimate evil! The futures of Earth, Cybertron, and the Microverse will all be changed forever by the decisions made this day.

..or fall together?

Story

Here we are, the final issue of the core storyline for IDW's Revolution. The end of this stretch of the road. The final chance to prove that this could lead somewhere, and do so well. By the timing of this review, you can probably guess how much it lived up to that, really. But let's proceed with order, and constructively, shall we?

Bless

First, a recap. Karza has allied himself with the Dire Wraiths to save his universe, then merged with them, and realised that he's about to destroy two universes for the price of one. Everyone else decides to stop him. Humans (G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K.) are still not happy that aliens are doing things on their territory. Miles Mayhem keeps being evil but maybe not but maybe yes.

Soz bro

The good things, writing wise: there are some good interactions, especially when it comes to established group dynamics like between the Transformers or between the Joes, and the Micronauts still have a better edge. Windblade digging at Optimus is always a treat. There is some sort of organic fitting in of the different factions at play, and yes as a crossover it does create a common starting point for stories from here.

I guess?

On the other hand, personally, ROM has brought nothing to this whole event (sure, it started because of him, but the character is nothing much at all compared to others), both MASK and GI Joe are used very oddly given their potential, and fans of the latter in particular may feel a little under-catered for. Where not having a fixed villain could've been good ground for interesting stories, it fell short of using the various 'antagonists'. But more below on the follow-up.

Art

From the visual side of things, I have defended Fico Ossio's work previously, as there are some good ways of depicting humans, and giving that more organic feel to some robotic designs - more appropriate for MASK and ROM than Transformers, I felt, and better executed overall - but in this issue in particular, a lot of flash covered the undermining problems of the 'too much together' elements of the series.

Tyler, is that you?

And if that was true for the layouts and linework, the colours did not help make things clearer either. Mind you, I am not saying that Sebastian Cheng did not do a good job, but rather that the colours do not clarify what the art is trying to do, opting instead for a DC or Marvel-style visually punchy style with shaky substance beneath the technicolor smoke.

Offered without comment

Similarly, and unfortunately, the lettering could only do so much: with this still being an event trying to draw in new readers, Tom B. Long was asked to fit in name tags and Budiansky pretty much the entire issue, making the most of the space available - not an enviable task, and not one that leads to a result that makes things any clearer either.

The covers, I have to say, are excellent: Tradd Moore and Felipe Sobreiro with the cartoon classic, Ken Christiansen with a part of his composite patchwork, Adam Riches and James Biggie with their signature toy and promo art respectively, Brandon Peterson's take on superenergised Karza, Art Baltazar suggesting the Aw Yeah! issue coming in the new year, Guido Guidi's excellent G2/I Joe mashup (thumbnailed) - and the oddly chosen John Byrne art, with Len O'Grady on colours.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Really, all in all? It was a bit of a mess. The suggested schedule was not helpful, nor accurate, to follow the event in a linear fashion - and the tie-ins were decidedly much better, to varying degrees, than the core story itself - and the events happening within the issues were either too stretched out to begin with, or too condensed towards the end as was the case for this last book, visually and script-wise. It was confusing, or negligible, and just ..sort of happened. And looked inconsistent while happening.

And it only took us 5 issues to remember!

As we've said in previous reviews, it's really a shame: all the series going into this were written by people who actually believed in the books and their characters, from Ryall to Easton to Barber to Bunn, but somewhere along the line, the idea of making a comic book EVENT proves one of IDW's missing achievements, especially one acting as a shared universe catalyst as Revolution was meant to be.

That said, it does not detract from the stories that come out of this, with Revolutionaries sounding like Revolution done right (now that it's out of the way), Till All Are One and Micronauts working on a wider scale, MASK, ROM, and GI Joe continuing the Earth-based sides of the plot, and Optimus Prime sort of shoving people around to sneak in between everyone.

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845300)
Posted by ricemazter on December 4th, 2016 @ 3:37pm CST

Does ROM ever have any comment to make on cybertronians as a race? One of the things I always found really interesting about recent transformers stories is that the wider cosmic community absolutely hates the Cybertronian race. Their war has consumed millions of organic planets, and it occurs to me that the decepticons basically do the exact same thing the dire wraiths do. Disguise themselves among the native population, destabilize the civilization, and take over, is basically the 6-stage infiltration plan in a nutshell. Not only that, the Decepticons have been successful multiple times. The autobots may have tried to stop them, but I think it's implied in a lot of cases that they either failed, or allowed their war to break out in it's entirety to the detriment of the natives. I have a hard time believing that out of all the planets like like Clemency and Babu Yar, that none of them were inhabited by neutral or innocent species.

So, for the people who have read this event, does ROM ever bring this up? He's been fighting against an evil species with, from my understanding, the same M.O. as the decepticons for a while.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845340)
Posted by Randomhero on December 4th, 2016 @ 5:27pm CST
ricemazter wrote:I haven't read anything revolution yet, but I think I thought of something ROM could probably have added to the story (though correct me if they already did this).

Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845352)
Posted by Va'al on December 4th, 2016 @ 6:21pm CST
Randomhero wrote:

But, for me, entirely undermined by how this is done.

The Dire Wraiths are the major antagonist of the event, along with Mayhem and Karza at different points, but they've been used badly by the writers, both here and in the ROM comics themselves. It just doesn't feel developed as a storyline - whereas both Mayhem and Karza have more of a motive, better of a motive, and better rounding all over.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845357)
Posted by ricemazter on December 4th, 2016 @ 7:36pm CST
Dr Va'al wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

But, for me, entirely undermined by how this is done.

At the risk of asking spoiler questions how is the topic broached? I'm honestly not interested in revolution enough to read it right now.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845400)
Posted by Deadput on December 4th, 2016 @ 11:06pm CST
Why was this ever a thing?

Crossovers should never under any circumstance be canon or at the very least should of been built up on but I don't think any of this other junk from other things I never cared about were ever in IDW before this.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845408)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 4th, 2016 @ 11:26pm CST
Deadput wrote:Why was this ever a thing?

There have been crossovers done before in all kinds of fiction that weren't built up and yet still turned out to be pretty good. For example, Power Rangers did their crossovers that way for years and most (but certainly not all) of theirs turned out pretty well.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845429)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 5th, 2016 @ 2:40am CST
I gave up a couple issues in. I'm not fond of IDW's Transformers comics to begin with but the crossover got me interested so I checked it out. And well.. nope. Don't like.

I'm finding DC's He-Man/ThunderCats to be a far more enjoyable 80s crossover so far.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845473)
Posted by Randomhero on December 5th, 2016 @ 10:34am CST
ricemazter wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

But, for me, entirely undermined by how this is done.

It happened in like the second issue. Rom says he knows about Cybertronians and that their war spread across the galaxy and he doesn't trust them when he runs into Optimus. That's it. It was just a line because another alien is on earth.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845561)
Posted by ScottyP on December 5th, 2016 @ 5:58pm CST
Dr Va'al wrote:

I feel it appropriate to point out that the good Doctor here is referring to Miles Mayhem, the MASK villain, not the Carnivac led group from SotW. Though now it makes it a little more clear why they didn't show up in this at all!
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845583)
Posted by VanOscuro on December 5th, 2016 @ 8:59pm CST
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1845664)
Posted by Va'al on December 6th, 2016 @ 5:24am CST
VanOscuro wrote:Why even tease Grimlock if you're not even going to utilize him. Also, give him an active role again already.

As Nick Roche says on his cover:

Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1846035)
Posted by ScottyP on December 7th, 2016 @ 5:51pm CST
A Statistical Analysis of 9-Ball Pocket Billiards
A Review of Revolution: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

Story
Spoiler-heavy, but only with fake spoilers

Me Grimlock say this not happen in these stapled picture squares!

Let's get one thing straight right off the bat when it comes to this final Revolution tie-in one-shot: it's of extreme importance to both the Transformers as well as the shared Hasbro universe being created by IDW. There are stakes, meaningful actions with meaningful consequences, and more snooker references than you can fit in your pocket.

As deadly serious a book as a game of Shoot Shoot Bang Bang

Now that the forewarnings have been tabled, let's take a quick snapshot of where our heroes are at the start of this issue. They are all probably, definitely, almost irrevocably dead, and definitely not coming back next week in a new issue number one. Definitely not.

With Prowl hanging out with Cerebros, Fortress Maximus, and Red Alert, that leaves the Scavengers to pick up the plot and go to Earth. Crankcase is getting set to meet up with an online chat room friend, and the Energon Goodies are chalked and ready.

Nothing can ever go wrong when you've got Energon Goodies!

What they find waiting for them ends up being more than they bargained for, closing back in on a plot from the Furman-era of IDW that was long thought to be over, finished. Right on cue, things ricochet in completely unanticipated ways.

Oh, well, I suppose it can.

It can't be understated how significant the main reveal of this Revolution edition of More Than Meets The Eye is. Not only does it bring back a popular but fearsome character, it neatly ties together every aspect of the crossover, closing up plot-holes and nicely calling its shot for the last ball that clears the rack and readies this universe for what's to come.

I guess maybe things never go well with Energon Goodies.

There are more amazingly well placed references to other franchises than you can shake a stick at, with immediate fan favorite G.I. Joe character MP3 being assigned one of the most famous and ubiquitous of Action Force gadgets. It's moments like this one that show how well studied both authors, Nick Roche and James Roberts, are when it comes to the franchises involved in this incredibly well received event series.

One of my college buddies claims to have invented the slang "obvs". To date, he has not been proven wrong since I cannot go back in time to see who else may have said it first.

The tremendous pacing of the issue allows the story time to work, with the scope of events being illustrated effectively in a way that brings some genuine emotion. For the people of Earth, things may never be the same again, especially since this is the first time any city in the United States has ever been destroyed in any way in the IDW Transformers fiction.

This is probably Spike's fault.

Just when things can't seem to get any worse, the power of the crossover comes full force. The organic yet infinitely complex details of the years long build to Revolution pay off in a big way, and in one masterstroke of plotting, the entire purpose of this three month long, 13 issue event becomes as clear as the right angle for a corner shot.

Got 'em.

Art

On a lighter note, Alex Milne's art is crisp throughout, with panels like the one below this paragraph conveying a fantastic sense of motion. This is not the only example of the dynamic framing and posing that takes place, and Joana Lafuente's colors help define the settings in distinctive ways. Chris Mowry handles the letters for this book, and has not only done well, but really really well in one particular instance dealing with a dire wraith. Full credits and images of all the covers are available at this link for the book in our Comics Series Resources.

Whoosh!

Judgment

There's a reason this writing team is held in such high regard, and this issue again makes it clear exactly why that is. They'll always be held to the gold standard of their own creation, but will they ever come close to capturing that magic again?

Private messages about this review will be promptly ignored.

I think they did, and they may have even surpassed their past achievements. We won't soon forget this one. Hold on to your butts and call your loved ones - Transformers, nay, comics themselves just changed forever.

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:

(Actual review: this issue is a fantastic work of comic relief that manages to move along one major Transformers character's story line in a meaningful way. Be prepared going in to have a good time and you certainly will. Readers should also know that this issue stands alone in a way where no prior reading of other Revolution books is required. The paragraph about the art above is genuine, it's really good. 5 out of 5 is also the real score.)
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1846039)
Posted by Kurona on December 7th, 2016 @ 6:06pm CST
Know what?

Revolution was worth it for this.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1846123)
Posted by ricemazter on December 8th, 2016 @ 3:11am CST

On a positive note, this is one of those times where Robert's meta narratives really work. Unlike the last time with "swearth," the fact that this was a one shot means we aren't missing out on progress while the writer, for lack of a better word, vents. That sounded a lot more negative than I wanted it to.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1846152)
Posted by MrBlack on December 8th, 2016 @ 9:14am CST
ricemazter wrote:I really liked this issue, only one of the Revolution series I've read, but there was one tiny sour point. I was kinda disappointed at the end when they left poor mp3 by himself, really surprised fulcrum has had any contact with humans.

In defense of the Swearth issue, we did get a fair bit of character development out of Swerve, Cyclonus, and Megatron in that issue, which was more than we got out of the Thunderclash funeral two-parter, which is my personal low water mark for the series.

As for this, I think a gag issue was the perfect way for MTMTE to deal with the Revolution crossover. It's the perfect epilogue to the whole event.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1846154)
Posted by Big Grim on December 8th, 2016 @ 9:34am CST
MrBlack wrote:which was more than we got out of the Thunderclash funeral two-parter, which is my personal low water mark for the series.

Aw. I liked that one. It was cool seeing Skids and Nautica (sp?) dancing and chatting, Nightbeat being a cocky detective and then the aliens being beaten by an overdose of charisma for the combined power of Rodimus and Megatron. It was fun.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1846159)
Posted by Kurona on December 8th, 2016 @ 10:17am CST

... unless we're, ah, counting Dark Cybertron. If we are that's... that's easily the worst part. No question.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1846173)
Posted by MrBlack on December 8th, 2016 @ 11:41am CST
Big Grim wrote:

Kurona wrote:MTMTE is one of the few fictional series I really can't pinpoint a story arc or character I didn't like. If you asked me who my least favourite character was I'd say Velocity, but only because we haven't seen that much of her compared to the other characters - I still love her!

I really enjoyed the second half of Dark Cybertron, but the first half really dragged.
Re: Full Preview of IDW More Than Meets the Eye Revolution (One-Shot) (1846180)
Posted by Big Grim on December 8th, 2016 @ 12:39pm CST
MrBlack wrote:It wasn't bad, it just felt like it should have been a single issue story rather than two. I thought the Swearth story did the contrived pop culture story better.

A fair enough assessment!

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Titan Scorponok MISB in stock now" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon New In Box MISB" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Generations TITANS RETURN Leader Class DECEPTICON OVERLORD" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Autobot HOT ROD & Firedrive Deluxe Class - BRAND NEW!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dinobot Adventures Dinobot Squad Grimlock Dinobot Snarl and Pred..." on EBAY
Buy "SLUG Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Deluxe Dinobot Hasbro 2021 New" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Unite Warriors UW-08 COMPUTRON w/ Perf. Effect Upgrade & Coll. Coin" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Decepticon Overlord Loose Complete" on EBAY