Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9

Sunday, July 9th, 2017 2:35AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 10,868

In other IDW Publishing news, the Optimus Prime ongoing Transformers comic sees its issue #9 released this coming week, and we get to go back to Sideswipe as he gets released of his tank - and more! Check out the full preview below via CBR, and come back to Seibertron.com for a review after the book's release!

THE LIFE OF SIDESWIPE! A Junkion machine finally gives long-injured Sideswipe a new lease on life! But when his brother goes missing, Sideswipe and Arcee return to Cybertron—and nothing will be the same between them ever again.

Don’t miss the Optimus Prime cover by Mondo artist Tom Whalen, part of our Tom Whalen Cover Month!
Variant cover by ZEROB!

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9
Credit(s): CBR
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896212)
Posted by MrBlack on July 12th, 2017 @ 10:29am CDT
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896216)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 10:38am CDT
I want to see Barber write a lot more character-focused issues, because if the past three have proven anything, it's that he's really friggin' good at it. It's ironic because MTMTE/LL was considered the character-focused one while ex-RiD/TF/OP was considered the story-focused one... but I'm honestly finding myself liking some of these characters on the same level as if not higher than some of the Lost Lighters. Jazz is certainly fitting in comfortably between Chromedome and Whirl.

I wish we'd gotten more of this during post-Dark Cybertron ex-RiD because the lack of fleshed out characterisation among Prime's crew was probably the biggest problem I had with it; it was a great storyline and there were fantastic characters in Optimus, Prowl, Aileron, Soundwave, Cosmos, Thundercracker etc. but I didn't feel connected to most of what was supposed to be the main protagonists. But now I do. I love Sideswipe, Jetfire and Jazz a hell of a lot more than I used to and Barber deserves any praise he gets for these issues.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896222)
Posted by Va'al on July 12th, 2017 @ 11:22am CDT
MrBlack wrote:I know folks complain about these "filler" issues, but that was one of the best single issues that John Barber has written.

Review incoming, but basically. Yes. That.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896301)
Posted by Va'al on July 12th, 2017 @ 5:41pm CDT

Swipe Left
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Also, Bob!

Story

It's fascinating what we get to read in Transformers comics these days, really. Truly fascinating how we've had so much character development taking over the steady progression of plot for a couple of issues, and how breathers have become such a staple in the major arcs that another 'filler' issue isn't really regarded as such. But it still is. And yes, it fills.

(Up)side(down)swipe

John Barber has shown a sharp increase (which is probably a lot more steady, but since stepping down from editorial, the writer in him has just leapt streets ahead, for me) in his talent for capturing voices, both through the established techniques like the caption narratives, and newly acquired tricks in recent issues and sidelines.

Side(lined)swipe

In this case, we mostly see the entire issue through the eyes and voice of Sideswipe, as he is awakened from the stasis he was in for a while now already, and we explore this new world to him - the old world of Cybertron in the new reality - and to some newer readers (if we consider Revolution or OP #1 as their starting point), with some assists from Arcee of course, in one of the best platonic friendships the publisher has to offer right now.

More like brobots

The framing of story is interesting, insofar as it tries to follow up just briefly on the Jazz-centric events of the previous issue, but then fully delves into this second spotlight in two months. It takes a deep breath - and plunges an unexpected blade into several sparks. Hard.

Art

What Kei Zama achieves in the issue is really quite extraordinary, bringing her heavy lines and inks back to Cybertron, making Sideswipe himself essentially look like his G2 incarnation while still keeping in tune with the continuity in design, and adding her twists to the fairly numerous cast of the issue, and with delightful composition cues from RID #33, too.

plus dem background characters

Josh Burcham ups the amping on the grittyness in all the right spots too, playing with lighting and saturation to achieve some very Sideswipe action sequences, mixed in with more calm, tranquil palette choices for the other scenes around them, in yet more proof that he and Zama can work wonders in thick ink and grainy layers.

Yaniger smile!

Tom B. Long also has more work on his hands, with plenty of captions to place around the page, some very good and in fact very subtle fonting work across the book, and carefulness not to cover up lines of dialogue and panel layouts for the overall effect. The cover we're using in the thumbnail is the variant by Casey Coller (EDIT: also on colours!), which best captures the issue's tone by the end too - all other covers can be seen in our database entry right here!

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

I have not commented, not one bit, on the ending / resolution / twist of this book. I talk about it now in the vaguest of terms, and only really to preface a couple of misgivings that people might have about the art or even the dialogue - both of which might seem too on the nose or to go in circle a bit in spots. There is a reason for that. Keep reading.

Keep breathing.

Take your time with this one, as it closes a number of plot points that we probably wouldn't have addressed in any other satisfying way, cleverly employs known techniques to original results, and had some very strong reactions on staff - ranging from anger, to sadness, to adoration. We're warning you, and it still won't be enough.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: - out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:

Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896302)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 5:49pm CDT
The only anger this issue got from me was when the comic showed... those two. You know who I'm talking about. They're even in the review. *shudder*

Otherwise the score is fully deserved. An excellently well-done issue that proves OP isn't just "that other" IDW Transformers ongoing and is fantastic in its own right.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896309)
Posted by Nik Hero on July 12th, 2017 @ 6:35pm CDT
I hated the revelation of what this whole episode was. Hated it. But it was good storytelling nonetheless.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896325)
Posted by Randomhero on July 12th, 2017 @ 7:42pm CDT

Halfway through I figured it out. Once marissa mentioned wreck-gar was just a head and he wasn't and the whole scene at the warehouse blew over so fast I knew what this was. Not complaining, it was clever and I liked it.

Also I liked skids and Mudflaps cameo. They're characters I've never had a problem with.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896329)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on July 12th, 2017 @ 7:53pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:This issue did not make me sad in the slightest. I finished it and smiled. It was amazing. Best issue of Optimus prime so far. It was a celebration life, not death.

I like your way of thinking there. I started out a little mad because he's always been my favorite Autobot, with Skywarp as my favorite Decepticon and now one is dead and the other is stuck with G I Joe in the IDW-verse. But man, what a very touching and cool way to let him go out.

Plus, now maybe he'll get an updated toy, hell maybe even in wave 6 of TR. TR seems to love putting out dead bots from the IDW-verse (Galvatron, Astrotrain, Ravage, Hardhead, Quake, Topspin, Twintwist, Sky Shadow, Flywheels, anyone else?).
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896331)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 7:55pm CDT
TF-fan kev777 wrote:

Thunderwing! He even started that trend in Generations 2012 before it was cool! :lol:
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896333)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on July 12th, 2017 @ 7:58pm CDT
Kurona wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:

Triggerhappy, off the top of my head. Too lazy to go looking. :lol:
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896336)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 8:04pm CDT
Sigma Magnus wrote:
Kurona wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:

Triggerhappy, off the top of my head. Too lazy to go looking. :lol:

Scourge as well! Sentinel Prime died in the TR comic tie-in -- though he died in that, uh, body-was-never-found-I-totally-won't-return comic book villain way.

Then there's Horri-Bull, Nightbeat died before he wasn't dead, Wilder's technically in Titans Return because he's the same as Fangry...

... man, this is depressing.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896344)
Posted by YoungPrime on July 12th, 2017 @ 8:34pm CDT
Did I mention that I hate this art.......

As much whining as I hear about LL's art at least it's legible. But whatever, still haven't read ep. #6 and probably won't bother with this one either.

Revert back to Cybertron....To h3ll with these humans!
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896345)
Posted by Tigertrack on July 12th, 2017 @ 8:36pm CDT
Excellent review of an emotional issue. I was one who went through a gamut of emotions. I was angry because I was hoping for the miracle, it was set up as such, and in having my own expectations be thrown back at me in such an extreme manner... Sideswipe's always been a favorite. Mostly because of his alt mode and somewhat brash, but fun attitude, and his interactions with his brother which I could relate too.

Well executed writing and art. I think Optimus Prime has been my most looked forward to reading each month. It's been really well done. I'm converted. I've always been the reader who wanted less to no humans in my comics to finally evolve Transformers fiction to a higher, more enjoyable level. I didn't think it was possible to include humans and for us to reach the level of story that we're at here. I've been proven wrong and it's awesome!

Lambobros forever!
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896361)
Posted by ScottyP on July 12th, 2017 @ 9:51pm CDT
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896368)
Posted by Tigertrack on July 12th, 2017 @ 10:39pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:Snare was the first thing that tipped me off to "this isn't really happening" because John Barber wouldn't let a Predator jet in as a background character. They're too famous as being Decepticon cannon fodder in LSotW!

I didn't catch him. Was too wrapped in seeing Lazer Rods! Good catch. Much like the Wreckgar has a body and not just a head. I saw that to start and went, 'huh?', but read in thinking if they could repair the cool McGuffey, they could certainly give him a new body. Where's Ratchet, First Aid, Velocity, or Pharma when you need them?
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896370)
Posted by Microraptor on July 12th, 2017 @ 10:41pm CDT

Didn't Snare die in that anyways?
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896390)
Posted by Nik Hero on July 12th, 2017 @ 11:55pm CDT
Chromia being on Cybertron made me wonder what was going on.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896400)
Posted by Va'al on July 13th, 2017 @ 2:02am CDT
YoungPrime wrote:Did I mention that I hate this art.......

Revert back to Cybertron....To h3ll with these humans!

I'm sorry someone hurt you this bad.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1896411)
Posted by Windsweeper on July 13th, 2017 @ 4:37am CDT
In the pic with RID Fixit and the Movie twins, is that Prime Arcee?
Re: Full Preview of IDW Optimus Prime #9 (1897066)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on July 16th, 2017 @ 8:10pm CDT
Agreed with so many of these points. Sideswipe is my 2nd favorite behind Trailbreaker (dangit, top 2 dead...) and it made me sad and smile. The ending was amazing, and I agree that this is the best issue of Transformers recently, and maybe ever for Barber.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers G1 Lot Vintage G2 Optimus Prime - Time Remaining: 3 days 20 hours 32 minutes 52 seconds
TRANSFORMERS DRIFT AGE OF EXTINCTION , PRIME STARSCREAM RID VOYAGER - Time Remaining: 5 days 11 hours 44 minutes 26 seconds
Transformers Combiner Wars Firefly MOSC MINT 100% COMP. 2013 HTF . - Time Remaining: 1 day 16 hours 45 minutes
Transformers Combiner Wars Silverbolt MISB MINT 100% COMP. 2014 . - Time Remaining: 1 day 12 hours 45 minutes 37 seconds
Transformers Combiner Wars Decepticon Dead End MINT 100% COMP. 2013 HTF . - Time Remaining: 1 day 16 hours 45 minutes 48 seconds
Transformers Dark of the Moon Skyhammer Voyager DOTM - Time Remaining: 4 days 22 hours 47 minutes 30 seconds
Transformers Waruders Yellow Waspinator Botcon 2015 War Riders Deluxe - Time Remaining: 2 days 1 hour 50 minutes 16 seconds
Transformers Waruders Pink White Waspinator Botcon 2015 War Riders Deluxe - Time Remaining: 2 days 1 hour 51 minutes 24 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #188 - Mutinous Intent