Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue)

Tuesday, November 29th, 2016 4:40am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,692

The final issue of IDW Publishing's crossover event, creating a shared Hasbro universe, hits retailers (online and physical) this week, and we have a full preview to share on our front page! Check out the beginning of the end of a new beginning for Transformers, MASK, ROM, GI Joe, Micronauts and Earth/Microspace/The Universe below, and head back for a review later this week.

Revolution #5 (of 5)
Cullen Bunn & John Barber (w) • Fico Ossio (a) • Tradd Moore (c)
LAST STAND IN AUTOBOT CITY! It’s all come to this—TRANSFORMERS vs. ROM vs. MICRONAUTS vs. G.I. JOE vs. M.A.S.K. vs. the ultimate evil! The futures of Earth, Cybertron, and the Microverse will all be changed forever by the decisions made this day.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points:
A universe of characters is born through REVOLUTION!
Not a reboot! Not a relaunch!
The TRANSFORMERS forever changed!
The return of G.I. JOE!
The MICRONAUTS in our universe!
Written by the writers of MICRONAUTS and TRANSFORMERS!
Illustrated by burgeoning superstar Fico Ossio!
Variant covers by Ken Christiansen, Guido Guidi, and Art Baltazar!

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue)

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue)

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue)

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue)

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue)

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue)

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue)

Credit(s): IDW

Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1843985)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on November 29th, 2016 @ 7:55am CST
Transform everyone inside you for a pow-wow. Well, at least he's thinking creatively
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1844040)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on November 29th, 2016 @ 11:50am CST
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1844042)
Posted by MrBlack on November 29th, 2016 @ 12:02pm CST
I've only been reading the main book, plus a couple of the tie-ins.

Reading this preview, I realize I have no freaking clue who half the people fighting are.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1844128)
Posted by ScottyP on November 29th, 2016 @ 6:29pm CST
Nik Hero wrote:I'm waiting to get all of the issue (including tie-ins) before reading. For those who have read it all so far, does the suggested reading order by IDW actually work for reading things in continuity order?
Nope.

I need to update this but I'm waiting for MTMTE Rev to come out (next week I guess?) See the bottom of this post:
the-transformers-idwverse-a-chronology-t105238s25.php#p1828104

Worth noting, that's just my take on it. Many of the one-shots stand alone as being able to occur just about anytime before 5 and after 1. Mostly.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1844130)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on November 29th, 2016 @ 6:52pm CST
ScottyP wrote:
Nope.

the-transformers-idwverse-a-chronology-t105238s25.php#p1828104

It's kinda funny that the last issue titled More Than Meets The Eye comes out only a week before Lost Light coming out.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1844138)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on November 29th, 2016 @ 8:51pm CST
Thank you so much for this! Please let me know when you update your list.

ScottyP wrote:
Nope.

the-transformers-idwverse-a-chronology-t105238s25.php#p1828104

Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1844353)
Posted by Burn on November 30th, 2016 @ 9:50pm CST
IDW are a fantastic company. They produced, and have produced (Locke & Key!!) some brilliant titles.

The one area they fail at is crossovers. I've yet to read a IDW crossover and enjoy it.

This did not change. From the announcement of the project my thought was "what's the point?". And that question remains, aside from introducing new titles (which is generally all crossovers are for), I cannot see a point to this series.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845096)
Posted by Heterochromatic on December 3rd, 2016 @ 4:53am CST
Mr.MicroMaster wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
Mr.MicroMaster wrote:
ricemazter wrote:I wonder what exactly our two M.A.S.K. "agents" are. For anyone familiar with the franchise, are Alex and Dennis some obscure characters? I don't think they're holomatter avatars on account of the windshield wipers and cup holders, but what do I know?

Yeah at first a thought that was Spinster and Misfires holomatters,but their alt modes in the sky throws a wrench in that theory then again why is their a S and a M on belt buckles.

Why can they not have physical presence and holomatters at once? :-?

You might be on to something especially considering the belt buckles and similar color schemes.

You know, I'm hoping MP3 turns out to be a holomatter avatar as well.

I'm basing this off the nearly military acronym name (MP3 instead of MP5, seemingly anachronistic knowledge of technology (offering to get cables to transfer the video off the kid's phone) and that he comes with his own mission ready hardware: the action van.

I'm wondering if MP3 will turn out to be the blind date...
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845242)
Posted by Va'al on December 4th, 2016 @ 8:23am CST
The final tie-in book for the IDW Publishing multi-franchise crossover, definitely not decided by Hasbro, hits the shelves - digital and physical - next week, and we have the full preview to share with you all. Check it out below, and prepare yourselves for the comic, its review coming after the release, and the inevitable discussion in the Energon Pub!

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye: Revolution #1
James Roberts & Nick Roche (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
A DATE WTH DESTINY! After years of doing very little, Krok, Crankcase, Fulcrum, Spinister, and Misfire think they can wriggle out of anything—but not even they can avoid a heavily-promoted multi-franchise crossover. It’s the Scavengers Versus Your Childhood in a story that exposes all other art for the sham it is.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
What will the universe’s worst DECEPTICONS make of the world’s greatest crossover?
One last dance with the your favorite DECEPTICONS before LOST LIGHT begins next month!
The entire creative team that launched MTMTE returns!
Variant cover by Ken Christansen, part of a 13-part connected cover! Connects with all 13 Revolution issues and one-shots!

Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845255)
Posted by Va'al on December 4th, 2016 @ 10:14am CST
You Want a Revolution? I Want a Revelation
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

..or fall together?

Story

Here we are, the final issue of the core storyline for IDW's Revolution. The end of this stretch of the road. The final chance to prove that this could lead somewhere, and do so well. By the timing of this review, you can probably guess how much it lived up to that, really. But let's proceed with order, and constructively, shall we?

Bless

First, a recap. Karza has allied himself with the Dire Wraiths to save his universe, then merged with them, and realised that he's about to destroy two universes for the price of one. Everyone else decides to stop him. Humans (G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K.) are still not happy that aliens are doing things on their territory. Miles Mayhem keeps being evil but maybe not but maybe yes.

Soz bro

The good things, writing wise: there are some good interactions, especially when it comes to established group dynamics like between the Transformers or between the Joes, and the Micronauts still have a better edge. Windblade digging at Optimus is always a treat. There is some sort of organic fitting in of the different factions at play, and yes as a crossover it does create a common starting point for stories from here.

I guess?

On the other hand, personally, ROM has brought nothing to this whole event (sure, it started because of him, but the character is nothing much at all compared to others), both MASK and GI Joe are used very oddly given their potential, and fans of the latter in particular may feel a little under-catered for. Where not having a fixed villain could've been good ground for interesting stories, it fell short of using the various 'antagonists'. But more below on the follow-up.

Art

From the visual side of things, I have defended Fico Ossio's work previously, as there are some good ways of depicting humans, and giving that more organic feel to some robotic designs - more appropriate for MASK and ROM than Transformers, I felt, and better executed overall - but in this issue in particular, a lot of flash covered the undermining problems of the 'too much together' elements of the series.

Tyler, is that you?

And if that was true for the layouts and linework, the colours did not help make things clearer either. Mind you, I am not saying that Sebastian Cheng did not do a good job, but rather that the colours do not clarify what the art is trying to do, opting instead for a DC or Marvel-style visually punchy style with shaky substance beneath the technicolor smoke.

Offered without comment

Similarly, and unfortunately, the lettering could only do so much: with this still being an event trying to draw in new readers, Tom B. Long was asked to fit in name tags and Budiansky pretty much the entire issue, making the most of the space available - not an enviable task, and not one that leads to a result that makes things any clearer either.

The covers, I have to say, are excellent: Tradd Moore and Felipe Sobreiro with the cartoon classic, Ken Christiansen with a part of his composite patchwork, Adam Riches and James Biggie with their signature toy and promo art respectively, Brandon Peterson's take on superenergised Karza, Art Baltazar suggesting the Aw Yeah! issue coming in the new year, Guido Guidi's excellent G2/I Joe mashup (thumbnailed) - and the oddly chosen John Byrne art, with Len O'Grady on colours.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Really, all in all? It was a bit of a mess. The suggested schedule was not helpful, nor accurate, to follow the event in a linear fashion - and the tie-ins were decidedly much better, to varying degrees, than the core story itself - and the events happening within the issues were either too stretched out to begin with, or too condensed towards the end as was the case for this last book, visually and script-wise. It was confusing, or negligible, and just ..sort of happened. And looked inconsistent while happening.

And it only took us 5 issues to remember!

As we've said in previous reviews, it's really a shame: all the series going into this were written by people who actually believed in the books and their characters, from Ryall to Easton to Barber to Bunn, but somewhere along the line, the idea of making a comic book EVENT proves one of IDW's missing achievements, especially one acting as a shared universe catalyst as Revolution was meant to be.

That said, it does not detract from the stories that come out of this, with Revolutionaries sounding like Revolution done right (now that it's out of the way), Till All Are One and Micronauts working on a wider scale, MASK, ROM, and GI Joe continuing the Earth-based sides of the plot, and Optimus Prime sort of shoving people around to sneak in between everyone.

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845300)
Posted by ricemazter on December 4th, 2016 @ 3:37pm CST

Does ROM ever have any comment to make on cybertronians as a race? One of the things I always found really interesting about recent transformers stories is that the wider cosmic community absolutely hates the Cybertronian race. Their war has consumed millions of organic planets, and it occurs to me that the decepticons basically do the exact same thing the dire wraiths do. Disguise themselves among the native population, destabilize the civilization, and take over, is basically the 6-stage infiltration plan in a nutshell. Not only that, the Decepticons have been successful multiple times. The autobots may have tried to stop them, but I think it's implied in a lot of cases that they either failed, or allowed their war to break out in it's entirety to the detriment of the natives. I have a hard time believing that out of all the planets like like Clemency and Babu Yar, that none of them were inhabited by neutral or innocent species.

So, for the people who have read this event, does ROM ever bring this up? He's been fighting against an evil species with, from my understanding, the same M.O. as the decepticons for a while.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845340)
Posted by Randomhero on December 4th, 2016 @ 5:27pm CST
ricemazter wrote:I haven't read anything revolution yet, but I think I thought of something ROM could probably have added to the story (though correct me if they already did this).

Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845352)
Posted by Va'al on December 4th, 2016 @ 6:21pm CST
Randomhero wrote:

But, for me, entirely undermined by how this is done.

The Dire Wraiths are the major antagonist of the event, along with Mayhem and Karza at different points, but they've been used badly by the writers, both here and in the ROM comics themselves. It just doesn't feel developed as a storyline - whereas both Mayhem and Karza have more of a motive, better of a motive, and better rounding all over.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845357)
Posted by ricemazter on December 4th, 2016 @ 7:36pm CST
Dr Va'al wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

But, for me, entirely undermined by how this is done.

At the risk of asking spoiler questions how is the topic broached? I'm honestly not interested in revolution enough to read it right now.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845400)
Posted by Deadput on December 4th, 2016 @ 11:06pm CST
Why was this ever a thing?

Crossovers should never under any circumstance be canon or at the very least should of been built up on but I don't think any of this other junk from other things I never cared about were ever in IDW before this.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845408)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 4th, 2016 @ 11:26pm CST
Deadput wrote:Why was this ever a thing?

There have been crossovers done before in all kinds of fiction that weren't built up and yet still turned out to be pretty good. For example, Power Rangers did their crossovers that way for years and most (but certainly not all) of theirs turned out pretty well.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845429)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 5th, 2016 @ 2:40am CST
I gave up a couple issues in. I'm not fond of IDW's Transformers comics to begin with but the crossover got me interested so I checked it out. And well.. nope. Don't like.

I'm finding DC's He-Man/ThunderCats to be a far more enjoyable 80s crossover so far.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845473)
Posted by Randomhero on December 5th, 2016 @ 10:34am CST
ricemazter wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

But, for me, entirely undermined by how this is done.

It happened in like the second issue. Rom says he knows about Cybertronians and that their war spread across the galaxy and he doesn't trust them when he runs into Optimus. That's it. It was just a line because another alien is on earth.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845561)
Posted by ScottyP on December 5th, 2016 @ 5:58pm CST
Dr Va'al wrote:

I feel it appropriate to point out that the good Doctor here is referring to Miles Mayhem, the MASK villain, not the Carnivac led group from SotW. Though now it makes it a little more clear why they didn't show up in this at all!
Re: Full Preview of IDW Revolution #5 (Final Issue) (1845583)
Posted by VanOscuro on December 5th, 2016 @ 8:59pm CST
Why even tease Grimlock if you're not even going to utilize him. Also, give him an active role again already.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime Cyberverse - IRONHIDE - Commander Class -00500" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 THRUST Vintage Generations One 1985- Nosecone defect-" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations FOC Fall Cybertron Deluxe Vortex (Bruticus) 100% Comp" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Jazz #86, Blurr #86, Gnaw #86, Kup #86 4lot!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Kup, Blurr, Jazz, Wreck-Gar #86" on EBAY
Buy "NEW IN-HAND Transformers Generations Kingdom Ultra Magnus War for Cybertron " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Dinobots Unite - ThunderHowl" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG-15 Nightbird Shadow (not Arcee) MISB" on EBAY