Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1

Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1

Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 3:12am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 27,229

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The new week brings us two fresh starts (more or less) in the IDW Transformers universe! Right here, we have the full preview of the highly anticipated continuation of the More Than Meets the Eye saga: Lost Light #1. Check it out below, join the discussion in the Energon Pub, and look out for our review after its release!

Transformers: Lost Light #1
James Roberts (w) • Jack Lawrence (a & c)
Five years ago, Rodimus and a collection of traumatised, lovelorn and/or sarcastic Autobots set off on a quest to find Cyberutopia. So far, they've made a right hash of it. They've misplaced their map. They've lost their ship, the Lost Light, to a mutinous escapologist. Oh, and they're dead.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99


Bullet points:
The crew from MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE might be dead, but the LOST LIGHT lives on!
Incredible artist Jack Lawrence (Skylanders, Micronauts) makes his Transformers debut with returning writer James Roberts (Transformers: MTMTE)!
Variant covers by Sara Pitre-Durocher, Sonny Liew, and Paul Pope!


Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1

Transformers News: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1

Credit(s): IDW


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1846936)
Posted by Randomhero on December 13th, 2016 @ 8:10am CST
How is there a female Autobot on Luna 2 during the war. They didn't exist.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1846943)
Posted by MrBlack on December 13th, 2016 @ 9:10am CST
Randomhero wrote:How is there a female Autobot on Luna 2 during the war. They didn't exist.

1) I'm not sure Anode is female, especially given that this is set during the war. The body leans that way, but the face is more androgynous.

2) Pretty sure Anode is not an Autobot. No symbols, and the talk of returning to Cybertron and "partisan kneecaps" pegs them as neutrals.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1846944)
Posted by Blozor on December 13th, 2016 @ 9:13am CST
I swear to Primus if they made Megatron a Decepticon again just to sell toys and rendered his entire Season Two story arc obsolete and pointless I may be done with this comic.

Ravage's death actually made a 40-year-old man cry over a book about cartoon robots, and what it meant for Megatron was a huge part of that. They better not let Hasbro shard all over it.

There's three incentive covers with him wearing the purple symbol and none in red. Hashtag angry.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1846945)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on December 13th, 2016 @ 9:14am CST
This was only 500 years ago. Colony worlds with female Transformers were established millions of years ago.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1846947)
Posted by Kurona on December 13th, 2016 @ 9:28am CST
Blozor wrote:I swear to Primus if they made Megatron a Decepticon again just to sell toys and rendered his entire Season Two story arc obsolete and pointless I may be done with this comic.

Ravage's death actually made a 40-year-old man cry over a book about cartoon robots, and what it meant for Megatron was a huge part of that. They better not let Hasbro shard all over it.

There's three incentive covers with him wearing the purple symbol and none in red. Hashtag angry.

Don't worry, they won't.
This is supposed to be (emphasis on supposed to be) a jumping-on point for new readers. So I guess it makes sense to put a Decepticon Megatron on the cover as he's more recognisable that way.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1846954)
Posted by MrBlack on December 13th, 2016 @ 9:57am CST
Black Bumblebee wrote:This was only 500 years ago. Colony worlds with female Transformers were established millions of years ago.

But the colonies have been out of contact for millions of years, and it has been established that Cybertron had not developed females aside from Arcee (who was...yeah).

The simplest solution is that Anode is male gendered and just has a lithe body. The body style isn't that far removed from, say, Starscream's depiction in TAAO.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1846955)
Posted by MrBlack on December 13th, 2016 @ 9:58am CST
Kurona wrote:
Blozor wrote:I swear to Primus if they made Megatron a Decepticon again just to sell toys and rendered his entire Season Two story arc obsolete and pointless I may be done with this comic.

Ravage's death actually made a 40-year-old man cry over a book about cartoon robots, and what it meant for Megatron was a huge part of that. They better not let Hasbro shard all over it.

There's three incentive covers with him wearing the purple symbol and none in red. Hashtag angry.

Don't worry, they won't.
This is supposed to be (emphasis on supposed to be) a jumping-on point for new readers. So I guess it makes sense to put a Decepticon Megatron on the cover as he's more recognisable that way.

First rule of comics: Never trust the cover.

Especially variant covers.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1846959)
Posted by Kurona on December 13th, 2016 @ 10:34am CST
MrBlack wrote:
Black Bumblebee wrote:This was only 500 years ago. Colony worlds with female Transformers were established millions of years ago.

But the colonies have been out of contact for millions of years, and it has been established that Cybertron had not developed females aside from Arcee (who was...yeah).

The simplest solution is that Anode is male gendered and just has a lithe body. The body style isn't that far removed from, say, Starscream's depiction in TAAO.

Come now, surely you should know this series enough to know it's solutions aren't simple ;)
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1846972)
Posted by Blozor on December 13th, 2016 @ 11:12am CST
MrBlack wrote:
Kurona wrote:
Blozor wrote:I swear to Primus if they made Megatron a Decepticon again just to sell toys and rendered his entire Season Two story arc obsolete and pointless I may be done with this comic.

Ravage's death actually made a 40-year-old man cry over a book about cartoon robots, and what it meant for Megatron was a huge part of that. They better not let Hasbro shard all over it.

There's three incentive covers with him wearing the purple symbol and none in red. Hashtag angry.

Don't worry, they won't.
This is supposed to be (emphasis on supposed to be) a jumping-on point for new readers. So I guess it makes sense to put a Decepticon Megatron on the cover as he's more recognisable that way.

First rule of comics: Never trust the cover.

Especially variant covers.


I know. I'm just saying. It looks like a lot of Triple Changer Megatron showing up, and although it might just be a way to work the toy into the comics without disrupting the continuity, it could also be another shoehorned product placement from Hasbro in the series.

On the other hand, Titans Return turned out to be a whole lot of nothing-to-do-with-the-main-storyline, so it's probably just an overreaction. I just wanted to stress my feelings on the matter to the no one who cares. :D
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847041)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 13th, 2016 @ 4:04pm CST
Well, I'm thinking Anode is actually a colonist who found Cybertron, maybe a Divusian or even a camien. Camien would explain things more, though Lug being there is a little closer to Divusian maybe
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847048)
Posted by Kurona on December 13th, 2016 @ 4:14pm CST
And do remember Thunderclash picked up Windblade, Nautica, Velocity and a whole host of other camiens before Cybertron as a whole new about the colony worlds. This situation isn't quite without precedent.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847074)
Posted by .... on December 13th, 2016 @ 6:50pm CST
Kurona wrote:And do remember Thunderclash picked up Windblade, Nautica, Velocity and a whole host of other camiens before Cybertron as a whole new about the colony worlds. This situation isn't quite without precedent.


I am hoping SO HARD for new Turbomasters.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847130)
Posted by Kurona on December 14th, 2016 @ 2:30am CST
The Old Man's Back Again

Somewhat-spoilery review for Lost Light #1. A little spoilery. Spoiler-ish.



Synopsis


Five years ago, Rodimus and a collection of traumatised, lovelorn and/or sarcastic Autobots set off on a quest to find Cyberutopia. So far, they've made a right hash of it. They've misplaced their map. They've lost their ship, the Lost Light, to a mutinous escapologist. Oh, and they're dead.

Image


Story


Well guys, it's been a painful few months with only Fort Max's Titans Return cross-sell and the Scavengers' little mini-issue to tide us over, but finally we're back! Rodimus, Megatron, Ultra Magnus, Ratchet, Drift, Nautica, some dead bodies, a legislator and a whole slew of new and returning characters! The main story! A bunch of lonely losers gallivanting around the galaxy who barely ever transform or fight but we still love for some reason!

Yes, we're finally back to the main focus after that nail-biting cliffhanger at the end of #55 from... Primus above, July. It has been a long time. As more and more details about its continuation came out with each one decidedly confusing us - why the re-branding? They're dead? Why did Rodimus get replaced with his Shattered Glass toy? Who's this new 'Anode' character, why are they partnered with Hosehead's Headmaster and what gender are they? - we finally get all the answers.
Well, most of them.
We know Anode's a girl, at least.

Image


Talking of Anode, she takes up quite a bit of the issue; stepping into the newcomer-for-the-benefit-of-the-reader's-experience role. She's fun, obviously has a lot to her than she's letting on, and is delightfully quirky with a number of one-liners to drop here and there. Her partner, Lug - who, as noted, some might remember as being Hosehead's headmaster in the original G1 toyline and Marvel comics but bears no such role here - plays the straight man were they a comedy duo, but don't fret, they're not simply comic relief. That's as much as I'll say about them though; you'll have to read the issue for the rest. I'm such a tease. But make no mistake, after just a single issue, I'm in love with them.

Image


That's quite a lot about Anode and her not-Headmaster companion, but there's no need to worry - the old Lost Light crew most certainly wrestle the spotlight from them soon enough.
And in a series built around them, it shouldn't surprise you to know that there's a lot of great character moments this issue. The whole gang gets their time to shine with laughs and berating and mourning their companions, but the ones who stands out in particular are Megatron and new addition Terminus; their long-standing intrigue taking center stage. In simply a few panels you really get the feeling this is going to be one of the most interesting dynamics of the book, but all the fuss over the newcomers does not come without an important homage to those lost.

Image


The whole gauntlet of emotional expression is represented excellently partly through aid of a beautiful, elegant flow - one never feels as if one scene stops too soon or goes on longer than it should; nor does one feel the transitions are too jarring. The pacing is just as on-point as it's always been.

This issue is largely a breather and recollection of what happened before we get going again. A pit stop, if you will - but with some new faces among your usual crew of mechanics. As expected, this is very character-driven - not a whole lot moves forward in terms of plot, aside from some very spoilery stuff at the end. And I'll remind you this isn't a very spoilery review, just spoiler-ish.


Art


If you've been following Lost Light news for the past few months, you might have heard tell of the new art duties - Alex Milne is still aboard, but his duties in the art department are now shared with newcomer Jack Lawrence. And it's this issue he makes his debut; both with the comic itself and with the main cover. How does he do?

Image


Well, a better job than Drift. In all seriousness, he's a perfect fit. He manages to bring his own unique flare and style to the issue, yet at the same time it still has that... special feel MTMTE did. That sort of balance between simplicity and complexity that allows for fantastic variety and emotional expression; that balance that allows us to believe these are still giant space robots who turn into cars yet are fluid and human in their motions and activity. There's also one scene in particular that's... rather breathtaking, but it's also very spoilery. And since this is once again, just a spoiler-ish review, I'll simply say the page after Drift & Anode ;)


Final Thoughts


If there's one particularly good way to sum this issue up... it's by calling it MTMTE #58. Or #59 if you count the Scavengers' little Revolution adventure. It's the perfect continuation of MTMTE and has everything you could want in there with nothing feeling off or awkward or like someone's lost their touch; with only a new art direction perhaps being a tad distracting (though in a delightfully good way; Lawrence expertly captures the simplicity yet complexity of both design and character)... but that wonderful positive is also the issue's biggest negative - and it's something pretty important that needs to be addressed.

It's not called MTMTE #58/#59. It's called Lost Light #1.

Image
Remember this?


This is seemingly through no fault of any of the creative team; as best as I can tell it's a re-branding mandate from someone up high. But no matter the reasons why, the fact is this is an Issue #1 and hence has a responsibility to be a decent jumping-on point for new readers. And were I a new reader? I would be extremely confused. Putting a lot of the issue behind a newcomer's eyes (Anode) helps a lot, but you still feel really lost. Magnus' short explanation of the prior events is hardly enough.

And clearly the Lost Light team felt the same way because there's a massive 5-page summary of the entire MTMTE series after the main comic story. Yeah, this isn't something I mentioned in the review, but it's there and it's huge and it REALLY gives off a vibe of "we didn't want to be an issue #1 but this is here if this is your first issue". For a returning reader this is a good refresher of what happened and helps you catch up in case you forgot anything - though with one notable error; the main villain of Dark Cybertron was apparently D-void, who knew? - but for a new reader I get the feeling it'd be an overwhelming turn-off.

However... this is my only big criticism of the book. It's still the comic, story and characters we know and love (with a few new wonderful additions). It's still arguably the best Transformers comic to have ever been. It's still MTMTE. But because of that last bit, it's not something new readers should start with.

Basically? If you want to continue MTMTE, read this comic; it's wonderful and still the same comic you know and love. If you're a new reader? ... start with MTMTE #1. Then MTMTE #2. Then the rest of the series. If you start here, it's going to be just a little confusing and overwhelming.

Final Score:

.:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: 1/2 out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:


Image
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847132)
Posted by Big Grim on December 14th, 2016 @ 3:02am CST
Lug's face there as he pinches the bridge of his nose is perfect!
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847133)
Posted by Kurona on December 14th, 2016 @ 3:13am CST
Big Grim wrote:Lug's face there as he pinches the bridge of his nose is perfect!

Lug is a wonderful character. I didn't talk about him much because there's a lot more focus on Anode with Lug basically being her sidekick, but he's great for her to play off of. I can't believe IDW made me love Hosehead's headmaster.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847138)
Posted by Randomhero on December 14th, 2016 @ 5:37am CST
Wasn't a bad issue at all the only thing I'd say I felt disappointed with was the reveal of what happened in remain in Light. That was a hell of an ending and the reveal of what the Geo Bomb did felt like it took away that climactic ending.

that being said I wasn't expecting anyone to die in the slightest but what happened made say "oh well alright then.

wasnt expecting them to wind up in the functioning universe. Can't say I'm looking forward it them returning but it may finally reveal what Rung is or give us some huge clues. Fells that reveal should be with Prime Rung however.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847163)
Posted by RNSrobot on December 14th, 2016 @ 9:16am CST
Anode sucks.
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847167)
Posted by Randomhero on December 14th, 2016 @ 9:46am CST
I love the subtle jab at the fandom with what anode found on Alina 2
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847172)
Posted by Big Grim on December 14th, 2016 @ 10:40am CST
Randomhero wrote:I love the subtle jab at the fandom with what anode found on Alina 2

You mean the special snowflake?
Re: Full Preview of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #1 (1847174)
Posted by Randomhero on December 14th, 2016 @ 11:08am CST
Big Grim wrote:
Randomhero wrote:I love the subtle jab at the fandom with what anode found on Alina 2

You mean the special snowflake?



That was hilarious

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Protectobot Hot Spot Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Monxo and Wolfwire" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Legends Class Windcharger Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Jetfire Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
Twincast / Podcast #289:
"No Thanks Given"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers RID Windblade - Warrior Class 2016 - NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Pop! Retro Toys G1 Transformers SHOCKWAVE #83 SDCC 2021 Shared Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Pop! Retro Toys G1 Transformers SHOCKWAVE #83 SDCC 2021 Shared Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Pop! Retro Toys G1 Transformers SHOCKWAVE #83 SDCC 2021 Shared Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Pop! Retro Toys G1 Transformers SHOCKWAVE #83 SDCC 2021 Shared Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "2015 Transformers Combiner Wars WHEELJACK Deluxe Class Complete Instructions" on EBAY
Buy "AIR RAID Transformers Combiner Wars Deluxe Aerialbot Superion 2015 Complete" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Robots in Disguise SPRINGLOAD Incomplete Action Figure Frog RID Fig" on EBAY