FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee

FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee

Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 11:51pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 35,475

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Courtesy of the Dengeki Hobby Magazine twitter feed we have our first look at the Transformers: Age of Extinction Optimus Prime Real Figure by FuRyu. Check out the prototype mirrored below. Not surprisingly they also appear to be developing a Bumblebee, just a placeholder image at the moment.

Transformers News: Re: Official Age of Extinction Products Discussion Thread

Transformers News: Re: Official Age of Extinction Products Discussion Thread

Credit(s): Dengeki Hobby


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1577880)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 28th, 2014 @ 11:54pm CDT
Zobovor, you seemed to clip out certain bullet points from my post while neglecting the others that I believe would have answered your questions before you asked them. Suffice it to say, yes there is a long history of blaming mold degradation or "fatigue" for QC issues, especially if a certain mold has been released more than once. But, my point is not that molds don't wear out and become unusable, it's that they don't wear out and become irreplaceable. More molds can be made when the older ones wear out, and maintaining fidelity with the original product is easier than ever. It's a non-issue not because it doesn't exist, but because it doesn't affect the manufacture of toys in the catastrophic way many fans believe it does. This is especially true of anything made in the last decade or so.

As for the original G1 toys, again, I suspect that it's a lot harder to reverse engineer them for some reason or another, maybe because the original molds are quite scare, so finding good "source material" to manufacture new molds may take a lot of resources. For instance, Sunstreaker was never remolded or redecoed at all, so maybe the original molds are so scare, they've been misplaced over time. On the other hand, you have molds that never say die, like G1 Optimus and Soundwave, which have each gone through several revisions, but nonetheless, endure.

Even if reverse engineering a mold takes money, it must still not be that prohibitive of a cost that knock-off/bootlegs can't turn a tidy profit. If it didn't, no one would bother. It's not just that a hole in the market is there to fill, it's that it's easy to fill, that makes it a worthwhile venture for knock-off manufacturers. However, I think you bring up an excellent point about the licensing, safety testing, and whatnot, that can increase costs on the R&D end of things. While reverse engineering a mold may not cost THAT much objectively, it may not turn enough of a profit for Takara/Hasbros bottom line (such things tend to upset the board of investors). Think of how many reissue G1 Sunstreakers would have to be sold to equal the profits from just "High Octane Bumblebee" from the Generations Age of Extinction line. That said, the modern molds that are getting a lot of use, Classics Optimus Prime, Classics Starscream (et al. Seekers), and even Bumblebee are cash cows for Hasbro, so yeah, it's worth it to keep replacing those molds to produce more product. Kids (and collectors) can't get enough of the big characters. So, you can see how eyes can roll when another retool or repaint of a popular mold comes along and people panic that it will flop around like a rag doll and fit together like a Sweedish CD rack, just because they've seen that mold before.
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1577881)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 28th, 2014 @ 11:56pm CDT
Based on this image, I'm starting to think that Optimus' shield might have two configurations in the movie. A compacted form that looks like the Leader class figure's shield, and an expanded form like this and the First Edition figure's shields.
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1577908)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on May 29th, 2014 @ 1:46am CDT
ok that prime looks just like a gundam, swap out the head and its a dead ringer.
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1577919)
Posted by Mykltron on May 29th, 2014 @ 3:54am CDT
Why don't companies producing high end high cost (and therefore not for children) figures realise that we aren't obsessed with OP and Bee? If we get OP we will want Megatron or whoever his nemesis is.
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1577990)
Posted by Shadowstream on May 29th, 2014 @ 10:56am CDT
Megatron Wolf wrote:ok that prime looks just like a gundam, swap out the head and its a dead ringer.

...is this really the sorry state of Gundam designs these days?
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578032)
Posted by Evil Eye on May 29th, 2014 @ 2:03pm CDT
Shadowstream wrote:
Megatron Wolf wrote:ok that prime looks just like a gundam, swap out the head and its a dead ringer.

...is this really the sorry state of Gundam designs these days?


Looks nothing like a Gundam. Looks pretty good to me- I just hope we get a better transforming version of this OP later down the line. I mean, chrome is all well and good, but dat backpack!
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578035)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on May 29th, 2014 @ 2:25pm CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:
Shadowstream wrote:
Megatron Wolf wrote:ok that prime looks just like a gundam, swap out the head and its a dead ringer.

...is this really the sorry state of Gundam designs these days?


Looks nothing like a Gundam. Looks pretty good to me- I just hope we get a better transforming version of this OP later down the line. I mean, chrome is all well and good, but dat backpack!


If it's the same one pre-orders are already sold out at BBTS
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578044)
Posted by william-james88 on May 29th, 2014 @ 3:07pm CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:
Looks nothing like a Gundam. Looks pretty good to me- I just hope we get a better transforming version of this OP later down the line. I mean, chrome is all well and good, but dat backpack!



I totally agree. That is my main issue with this Prime and the reason I will never buy it. The new movie esthetic is going for sleeker robots with an asian flare but the trend of simplifying the transformation works in the reverse of that since we end up with bulky transformers that have big backpacks and lots of alt kibble showing up without integrating with the robot(ex: Leader Optimus, Voyager Galvatron, Deluxe Bumblebee, Deluxe Crosshairs, Deluxe Drift).

Here's my favourite example of the movie and toyline going on totally reverse paths:

Movie Drift


Image



Deluxe toy of Drift

Image
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578094)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on May 29th, 2014 @ 6:08pm CDT
Just found this on Infinite Earth's Twitter. Looks awesome!

https://twitter.com/InfinteEarths/status/472149483434676224/photo/1

Image
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578107)
Posted by Peridot on May 29th, 2014 @ 6:45pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Delta Magnus wrote:
Looks nothing like a Gundam. Looks pretty good to me- I just hope we get a better transforming version of this OP later down the line. I mean, chrome is all well and good, but dat backpack!



I totally agree. That is my main issue with this Prime and the reason I will never buy it. The new movie esthetic is going for sleeker robots with an asian flare but the trend of simplifying the transformation works in the reverse of that since we end up with bulky transformers that have big backpacks and lots of alt kibble showing up without integrating with the robot(ex: Leader Optimus, Voyager Galvatron, Deluxe Bumblebee, Deluxe Crosshairs, Deluxe Drift).

Here's my favourite example of the movie and toyline going on totally reverse paths:

Movie Drift


Image



Deluxe toy of Drift

Image

Um. Asides from the kibble and somewhat inaccurate colors, that Drift is about as movie-accurate as it gets.
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578155)
Posted by Noideaforaname on May 29th, 2014 @ 10:29pm CDT
Nice! About time we got an actual, existing Dinobot Kreon.
Supposedly it's $25, which isn't too bad. But no alternate mode build?

EDIT:
DSC_0090_zpsbasv55tf.jpg
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578166)
Posted by william-james88 on May 29th, 2014 @ 11:49pm CDT
Metro Prime wrote:Um. Asides from the kibble and somewhat inaccurate colors, that Drift is about as movie-accurate as it gets.


Yeah, the kibble was my main point. It takes away all the accuracy as much as Optimus' or Galvatron's backpack
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578167)
Posted by durroth on May 30th, 2014 @ 12:19am CDT
it's not like they're going out of their way to make kibble, drift falls within acceptable kibble parameters. I really can't see what else they could have done without reengineering the movie version around the figure version. And it's not like Voyager Ironhide where he has most of his cab sides folded up on his forearms. This is pretty efficient kibbleing
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578170)
Posted by william-james88 on May 30th, 2014 @ 12:37am CDT
durroth wrote:it's not like they're going out of their way to make kibble, drift falls within acceptable kibble parameters. I really can't see what else they could have done without reengineering the movie version around the figure version. And it's not like Voyager Ironhide where he has most of his cab sides folded up on his forearms. This is pretty efficient kibbleing


Now that I have witnessed RID Prime Vehicon, I dont find much of any kibbleing as efficient as I used to
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578175)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on May 30th, 2014 @ 1:33am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
durroth wrote:it's not like they're going out of their way to make kibble, drift falls within acceptable kibble parameters. I really can't see what else they could have done without reengineering the movie version around the figure version. And it's not like Voyager Ironhide where he has most of his cab sides folded up on his forearms. This is pretty efficient kibbleing


Now that I have witnessed RID Prime Vehicon, I dont find much of any kibbleing as efficient as I used to


That's a toy that as the years go by will be seen as a glorious exception and not a rule
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578273)
Posted by darkjedi187 on May 30th, 2014 @ 2:43pm CDT
Seems my Hasbrotoyshop order for Voyager Hound just shipped. Anyone else get shipping confirmation?
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578347)
Posted by Peridot on May 30th, 2014 @ 8:13pm CDT
durroth wrote:it's not like they're going out of their way to make kibble, drift falls within acceptable kibble parameters. I really can't see what else they could have done without reengineering the movie version around the figure version. And it's not like Voyager Ironhide where he has most of his cab sides folded up on his forearms. This is pretty efficient kibbleing

Plus, some of the kibble is actually movie accurate.
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578382)
Posted by Seibertron on May 30th, 2014 @ 11:51pm CDT
Hasbro's packaging department seems to be confused about who AOE Strafe is supposed to "homage". Oops!

Image
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578386)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 31st, 2014 @ 12:00am CDT
Seibertron wrote:Hasbro's packaging department seems to be confused about who AOE Strafe is supposed to "homage". Oops!
Indeed.

What most likely happened was that they looked in the archives for a piece of vintage "Strafe" artwork to represent the "classic figure" on the box, and came up with G1 Strafe's box art, not knowing that they should have been looking for "Swoop" instead.

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated case of weirdness from the new design team.
Re: FuRyu Announces Transformers: Age of Extinction "Real Figures" Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (1578427)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on May 31st, 2014 @ 8:01am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Hasbro's packaging department seems to be confused about who AOE Strafe is supposed to "homage". Oops!
Indeed.

What most likely happened was that they looked in the archives for a piece of vintage "Strafe" artwork to represent the "classic figure" on the box, and came up with G1 Strafe's box art, not knowing that they should have been looking for "Swoop" instead.

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated case of weirdness from the new design team.


Or any Design Team for that matter.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Battle Core Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Tra Rid Warrior Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
Twincast / Podcast #268:
"Call Me 2020"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters cyberverse Predaking" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SOUNDWAVE Figure (Blaster Black Version) Takara Tomy MP3 Player" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Generations Select - Voyager - Sandstorm - Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Beetle Bumblebee Spike Volkswagen Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary Sandstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2016 Generations Titans Return Deluxe Class SKULLSMASHER & GRAX!" on EBAY
Buy "Takara TOMY Transformers Legends LG32 Chromedome Headmasters Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary SANDSTORM Voyager NEW" on EBAY