G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed

Transformers News: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed

Tuesday, July 23rd, 2019 8:25AM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Sightings
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 22,067

People have been waiting a long time for this news, but it's happening now. The Walmart exclusive reissue of Transformers G1 Soundwave has been found at Walmarts in the US. He comes with Buzzsaw and there are two other cassette two packs which include Frenzy and Lazerbeak as well as Rumble and Ravage.
Soundwave is $50 USD while the casette two packs are $20 USD each. Meaning the whole set would cost you $90 USD total. The images below come from Doug who posted them on Facebook and this set has been found in both Illinois and Wisconsin so far.

While Soundwave was also found in Canada recently, sightings have been rather sporadic and the cassettes were not found yet. The prices in Canada are $70 for Soundwave and $30 per cassette pack.

Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031087)
Posted by nycPrime on July 23rd, 2019 @ 8:57am CDT
That looks glorious. But $90 seems steep. Especially considering I got that Hasbro Asia MP reissue not long ago got $160.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031089)
Posted by ScottyP on July 23rd, 2019 @ 9:08am CDT
Price is in the same ballpark as the MSRP on Encore releases (from a decade ago or so) so no surprise in that regard. Looking forward to them getting around in more places! This line's carded product has been a rare instance of stuff I've kept sealed up. Having several versions of these cassettes already, the packaged presentation is a huge draw.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031095)
Posted by Stargrave on July 23rd, 2019 @ 10:02am CDT
Totally want those cassettes on my wall.
What a childhood memory, getting my first cassettes in an Easter basket.
Jeez that really takes me back. It was the Frenzy pack but I couldn’t read I was bouncing off the walls because I had ‘Rumble’ from the cartoon. :lol:
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031097)
Posted by cruizerdave on July 23rd, 2019 @ 10:07am CDT
Such great toys! They've never really topped those original cassetticons.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031109)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 23rd, 2019 @ 10:42am CDT
Still cheaper than getting the whole set vintage. Gunna try to hunt them down when I get paid next.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031117)
Posted by blackeyedprime on July 23rd, 2019 @ 10:51am CDT
Kind of hard to rebuy when I paid £5 for the cassette packs mid nineties and bought an original boxed soundwave for £15 off a friend who paid £21. Think I'm just going for the dinosaur tapes as I'm not sure if I ever got a replacement buzzsaw during the Tf collection/encores.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031198)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 23rd, 2019 @ 4:53pm CDT
I'm good with my "fat chested" reissue Soundwave and I already have the main casettes. So no need for me to double-dip.
However, anyone who are a Soundwave fan and don't own the G1 molds would be MAD to pass these up.
Yes, even at those prices.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031217)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 23rd, 2019 @ 6:08pm CDT
My wallet really isn't ready, but i hope to find those guys. I really want to get this reissue
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031243)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 23rd, 2019 @ 7:17pm CDT
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031246)
Posted by william-james88 on July 23rd, 2019 @ 7:23pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:Funny thing for me is, the only cassette I own is Ratbat, so I need to get ALL of them. But I have MP Soundwave as well as Siege Soundwave. Would G1 Soundwave have a place in my collection?

Hell yeah, sounds like a nice centrepiece to your soundwave collection ;)
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031248)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 23rd, 2019 @ 7:25pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

Hell yeah, sounds like a nice centrepiece to your soundwave collection ;)

I second this. G1 Soundwave and Co still hold up today. Plus it's the OG.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031272)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on July 23rd, 2019 @ 9:41pm CDT
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031274)
Posted by Ultra Markus on July 23rd, 2019 @ 9:44pm CDT
i want the cassettes more than anything
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031275)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 23rd, 2019 @ 9:44pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:$50... nah, gonna wait for a sale. Optimus Prime was priced down, wasn't he? :twisted:

I believe so. They were charging $50 a pop originally I believe, but I’ve seen him down to $30 in the Walmarts around Fort Bliss, which I think is much more reasonable.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031280)
Posted by william-james88 on July 23rd, 2019 @ 10:41pm CDT

People are saying this one is more worth its 50 than Prime though.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031281)
Posted by nycPrime on July 23rd, 2019 @ 10:43pm CDT
There was no way I was spending $50 on OP (and I was able to snag him for $35). I'm at least thinking about SW....
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031285)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 23rd, 2019 @ 11:02pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Hell yeah, sounds like a nice centrepiece to your soundwave collection ;)

I second this. G1 Soundwave and Co still hold up today. Plus it's the OG.
You guys are right, I should get one. I never transform the MP and Siege doesn't have a deck mode, so I gues I can keep G1 as a player.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031317)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 24th, 2019 @ 4:39am CDT
william-james88 wrote:

People are saying this one is more worth its 50 than Prime though.

I say so too. Soundwave is bigger (voyager) and DO come with his original Buzzsaw. Optimus is deluxe sized and have been neutered from his iconic trailer, making him not worth it at all.

Not having my "Universe" Soundwave reissue, I wouldn't mind paying full price for Soundwave and both cassette packs. I don't give a flying damn what that reissue's price was 10 freaking years ago. What matter is what are the prices RIGHT NOW. And right now, buying the full sets at full price from Walmart will come cheaper than getting everything separately from ebay. Reissues or originals.

Seriously, I would never, ever wait for a sale for these. I could even double dip, if it weren't for a certain planet-muncher coming up.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031333)
Posted by Cobotron on July 24th, 2019 @ 9:30am CDT
But, there is a part of me that might consider Soundwave himself because my OG suffers from the age old leaning-forward-like-he's-gonna-puke syndrome. :lol:
That old toy has been very loved for many years, and a lot of his joints are worn out.
Re: G1 Soundwave and Casette Reissues Found at US Walmarts and Prices Confirmed (2031334)
Posted by william-james88 on July 24th, 2019 @ 9:50am CDT
Cobotron wrote:The only thing I NEED is the Frenzy/Laser Beak 2-pack. My Brother made off with the casettes for his collection, and I acquired 2nd hand Rumble and Ravage somewhere down the line.

See, I need the other one. I was gifted lazerbeak with Soundwave once and I will be getting Frenzy with those dino casettes. So all I am missing is rumble and ravage.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #228 - Afterthoughts
"Afterthoughts"
Posted: Monday, August 12th, 2019

Buy "NEW Universal Studios Exclusive Transformers - Evac Statue 12" Statue" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Universal Studios Exclusive Evac" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition CLIFFJUMPER Deluxe Figure Complete PLS READ!" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS FALL OF CYBERTRON FOC SHOCKWAVE DELUXE CLASS 100% COMP." on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes - Throne of the Primes - SDCC 2018" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage G1 Transformers Trypticon Brunt Front Section Hasbro part original 1986" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage G1 Transformers Trypticon Brunt Right Tread 1986" on EBAY