Generations G2 Optimus Prime review!

Generations G2 Optimus Prime review!

Monday, December 6th, 2010 12:47pm CST

Categories: Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 61,588

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Peaugh has obtained the unfinished test shot of the upcoming Generations G2 Laser Rod Optimus Prime figure we last saw here.
You know the drill, watch the review by clicking here, or underneath this very sentence.

Credit(s): chrisc4, Peaugh


This article was last modified on Monday, December 6th, 2010 6:39pm CST

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154432)
Posted by Berserker Prime on December 6th, 2010 @ 1:12pm CST
I like the figure but not the paint. I'll wait for the repaint if there is one.
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154433)
Posted by Aluus on December 6th, 2010 @ 1:15pm CST
very nice mold. i'm torn between getting g2 prime and waiting to see if their is a scourge repaint...
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154435)
Posted by sabrigami on December 6th, 2010 @ 1:18pm CST
After watching this review I want this figure. His transformation and sword are just too cool to pass up =P~
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154453)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on December 6th, 2010 @ 1:52pm CST
I'll wait for the inevitable RID Scourge / Nemesis Prime repaint, as I'm more connected with that figure than I am G2 Prime.

Question, though--does G2 Prime have any G2 logos on him?
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154484)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on December 6th, 2010 @ 3:43pm CST
I agree with the review, it's a shame the color scheme is horrible because the mold has potential.
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154497)
Posted by Varia31 on December 6th, 2010 @ 4:11pm CST
I'll agree that the paint job is so-so, but as a figure in general, it's pretty awesome. :) I think I'll still pick this one up, and hopefully, the paint job will be a bit improved for the final retail product.
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154532)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on December 6th, 2010 @ 5:48pm CST
Need both Optimus and RID Scourge please. The transformation is very intuitive and well thought out. Extremely nice mold.
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154562)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on December 6th, 2010 @ 6:52pm CST
Nice.. Except a wee bit too small for me..
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154584)
Posted by T-Macksimus on December 6th, 2010 @ 8:05pm CST
I absolutely love the mold but that color combination is about the next best thing to beating the toy with a fugly stick. The mold and sword just don't add up to enough cool to make me want to buy this one if they insist on keeping the front end black. :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154637)
Posted by Chupacabra Convoy on December 6th, 2010 @ 10:47pm CST
Cyber Bishop wrote:Nice.. Except a wee bit too small for me..



yeah, that's my only beef with this toy. I already have the reissued one and the RiD Sourge so I might pass.... hell who am I kidding, I'm buying it, just wished that it was a proper voyager, or a mega. There's something about the general design that seems to say it's eager for action to the classic voyager Prime's majestic statue look. Also, having the matrix is a nice touch, if a little odd considering G2 Prime was never seen with it in this form.
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154640)
Posted by Solrac333 on December 6th, 2010 @ 11:04pm CST
I was going to pass on him because I never liked "G2". Seemed pointless to me. BUT I kind of see him as a "Classics" MOVIE Prime. So I will get him.
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154663)
Posted by Optillamanus on December 7th, 2010 @ 12:34am CST
Don't see why the color scheme is getting so much flak. I mean, it is G2. That's kind of part of the package, is it not?
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154748)
Posted by Ironhide516 on December 7th, 2010 @ 8:17am CST
I wouldn't mind seeing a Motormaster repaint, or even Huffer. Since there are already figures in the Generations & Universe lines with the names of "Scourge" & "Nemesis Prime" don't know what they'd call the figure if it was repainted as such.
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154751)
Posted by Rated X on December 7th, 2010 @ 8:35am CST
Not as bad as I originally thought, but the truk mode looks like a tonka toy. Why is he called "Laser Prime" if he weilds a sword ???
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154758)
Posted by kirbenvost on December 7th, 2010 @ 9:14am CST
"Can I get a coke?"

"What flavor?"

"Uh...coke?"

:lol:

This figure looks a lot better in video than in pictures, which is good. But I'll echo everyone else's sentiments, the alt mode color scheme looks terrible. It's not necessarily the color combo, it's that there's no coherence between it. Just random bits of color everywhere. I wasn't much of a fan of the original's colors either. *shrug*

He'll make an excellent Decepticon though. My only worry is if no on buys it, Hasbro will think we don't like the mold, and we might not get to see a Scourge/Nemesis Prime repaint. I guess kids will probably like him. He's still Optimus Prime after all. Parents who don't know the difference will see an affordable Movie Prime.

Rated X wrote:Not as bad as I originally thought, but the truk mode looks like a tonka toy. Why is he called "Laser Prime" if he weilds a sword ???


The original G2 figure had a gun. A whole lotta guns (well, missiles...). Anyway, the main gimmick was the light up fist with light piping through the fist(s). A Prime with frickin' laser beams! And maybe his head lit up too, I don't know because I only own RID Scourge and the electronics.
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154829)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 7th, 2010 @ 12:16pm CST
kirbenvost wrote:"Can I get a coke?"

"What flavor?"

"Uh...coke?"

:lol:

This figure looks a lot better in video than in pictures, which is good. But I'll echo everyone else's sentiments, the alt mode color scheme looks terrible. It's not necessarily the color combo, it's that there's no coherence between it. Just random bits of color everywhere. I wasn't much of a fan of the original's colors either. *shrug*

He'll make an excellent Decepticon though. My only worry is if no on buys it, Hasbro will think we don't like the mold, and we might not get to see a Scourge/Nemesis Prime repaint. I guess kids will probably like him. He's still Optimus Prime after all. Parents who don't know the difference will see an affordable Movie Prime.

Rated X wrote:Not as bad as I originally thought, but the truk mode looks like a tonka toy. Why is he called "Laser Prime" if he weilds a sword ???


The original G2 figure had a gun. A whole lotta guns (well, missiles...). Anyway, the main gimmick was the light up fist with light piping through the fist(s). A Prime with frickin' laser beams! And maybe his head lit up too, I don't know because I only own RID Scourge and the electronics.

No his eyes didn't light up, only his freaking huge gun and sword.
Man I loved that toy to bits, literally :-(
I'll replace it with the Takara version of this and the reissue.
Also I'm fairly certain the original had flames on its hood, and especially on it's trailer.
Re: Generations G2 Optimus Prime review! (1154905)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on December 7th, 2010 @ 4:08pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:
kirbenvost wrote:"Can I get a coke?"

"What flavor?"

"Uh...coke?"

:lol:

This figure looks a lot better in video than in pictures, which is good. But I'll echo everyone else's sentiments, the alt mode color scheme looks terrible. It's not necessarily the color combo, it's that there's no coherence between it. Just random bits of color everywhere. I wasn't much of a fan of the original's colors either. *shrug*

He'll make an excellent Decepticon though. My only worry is if no on buys it, Hasbro will think we don't like the mold, and we might not get to see a Scourge/Nemesis Prime repaint. I guess kids will probably like him. He's still Optimus Prime after all. Parents who don't know the difference will see an affordable Movie Prime.

Rated X wrote:Not as bad as I originally thought, but the truk mode looks like a tonka toy. Why is he called "Laser Prime" if he weilds a sword ???


The original G2 figure had a gun. A whole lotta guns (well, missiles...). Anyway, the main gimmick was the light up fist with light piping through the fist(s). A Prime with frickin' laser beams! And maybe his head lit up too, I don't know because I only own RID Scourge and the electronics.

No his eyes didn't light up, only his freaking huge gun and sword.
Man I loved that toy to bits, literally :-(
I'll replace it with the Takara version of this and the reissue.
Also I'm fairly certain the original had flames on its hood, and especially on it's trailer.


Nope, just a black to red deco on the hood. The lights were in the fists and in the truck's main head lights. You're probably thinking of the trailer, which had Optimus Prime with a flame thrower, with "Optimus Prime Octane" on it.

The "Laser" part in the name came from the G2 sub-group the gimmick originated from: the Laser Rods.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Onslaught Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Skrapnel" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
Twincast / Podcast #270:
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Mirage New MIB Optimus Maximus Combiner Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Optimus Prime New MIB Ultra Prime Combiner Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Twinferno - New and unopened" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Mindwipe + Headmaster Vorath deluxe class New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Weirdwolf Wolfwire + Headmaster Monxo deluxe class" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Apeface" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return - Skytread - Titan Master - Hasbro 2015" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hasbro War For Cybertron siege voyager Apeface" on EBAY