GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF?

GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF?

Saturday, July 18th, 2009 6:44pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Reviews
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 29,598

According to the article, a few lucky people got a chance to see a special advanced screening of the upcoming film. While not giving it an Oscar, all the reviewers concurred that the film was well paced with action and story enough for it to beat out Transformers Revenge of the Fallen in the enjoyment factor.

According to Steve Weintraub of Collider.com:

“G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” is not the train wreck you’re expecting.

In fact, some of the film is quite good. While many of you won’t believe me til you see it with your own eyes on August 7th, last night I got into a research screening of director Stephen Sommers “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” at the Bridge Theater in Los Angeles and came away liking what I saw.

My one sentence: It’s the cartoon come to life.

Without getting too spoilerific for you Joe fans out there, here are some of the finer points of the film that the reviewers say will make it better than Revenge of the Fallen:

-The action scenes are really well done and there are a lot of them.

-The movie is cheesy but fun. Yeah, the dialogue is corny and everyone was either a good or a bad guy, but that’s the cartoon. Also, it never went for the really cheap joke or any bathroom humor.

-The pacing is spot on. With the film clocking in around 1 hr. 45 minutes or so, you’re never far removed from an action scene.

-The plot actually works and makes sense…for a “G.I. Joe” movie. Unlike “Transformers 2″, “Joe’s” got a clear story.

The fine folks over at Latino Review also gave The Rise of Cobra a thumbs up.

For fans of both Transformers and GI Joe, it's shaping up to be an amazing summer with the monster smash Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, still in theatres and on IMAX screens and with GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra due to hit a theatre near you on August 7th 2009.

Credit(s): skywarp-2

Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957596)
Posted by TulioDude on July 18th, 2009 @ 7:05pm CDT
Last time someone said " lets make it a cartoon" we Joel Schumacher's Batman e Robin.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957597)
Posted by ashe5k on July 18th, 2009 @ 7:09pm CDT
I was all for the GI Joe movie until the adds with the goofy looking power armor. Maybe I haven't seen enough of it, but it just looks hokey to me.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957601)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 18th, 2009 @ 7:21pm CDT
It does look like a very good movie.

But about it being better than ROTF, won't believe it till I see it.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957605)
Posted by Primus1101 on July 18th, 2009 @ 7:41pm CDT
People may enjoy it, and since it is an action movie, I'll probably fall in love with it. But, 'enjoyment factor' is hardly something that will be able to kick ROTF from a highspot.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957606)
Posted by Omega Charge on July 18th, 2009 @ 7:47pm CDT
Meh, Don't think this article was really worth being news. Oh well, I'm not in charge.

If GI Joe is better in people's opinion, all power to them.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957607)
Posted by DevastatorPrime77 on July 18th, 2009 @ 7:50pm CDT
I actually can't wait to see it. I'm not a big fan of GI Joe but after seeing the trailers it looks good and being better than transformers ROTF is something i will decide when leaving the theaters. :-?
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957608)
Posted by TulioDude on July 18th, 2009 @ 7:55pm CDT
Why people always look for comparisons?
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957614)
Posted by 5150 Cruiser on July 18th, 2009 @ 8:16pm CDT
TulioDude wrote:Why people always look for comparisons?

Exactly. other than the orignals being cartoons, there two completly different movies.
Either way i'm not sure if how i feel about what i've seen so far. Not impressed with the vehicles i've seen. And this power up suits aren't really doing it for me either. I don't recall seeing these in the orignal cartoon. Were they ever a part in other GI Joe series? So far nothing really screams "GI Joe" from what i've seen in previews and toys. But i might be out of touch since i only saw the oringal series up to the 90's. (the latest episode i remember seeing was when the Joe's and Cobra teamed up to fight a drug cartelle)
Even if it does end up being better than ROTF who cares? Does that mean GI Joe is better than TF? Nope. Nor does it mean the opisite.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957618)
Posted by Shadowman on July 18th, 2009 @ 8:20pm CDT
TulioDude wrote:Why people always look for comparisons?

It's the easiest way to judge or explain something.

As for the suits, they referred to them as "Delta Six Accelerator Suits" in the trailer. "Sigma Six" would have been a better choice, but that's just me.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957620)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 18th, 2009 @ 8:24pm CDT
5150 Cruiser wrote:And this power up suits aren't really doing it for me either. I don't recall seeing these in the orignal cartoon. Were they ever a part in other GI Joe series?
G.I.Joe: Sigma 6 had similar enhancer suits called "Sigma Suits".
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957622)
Posted by Marcdachamp on July 18th, 2009 @ 8:27pm CDT
I'm really happy to hear it doesn't suck. Now let's do the crossover flick! Seriously. B-)
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957630)
Posted by skywarp-2 on July 18th, 2009 @ 8:53pm CDT
First Gen wrote:Seibertron.com member skywarp-2 has informed us of a movie review posted on Ain't it Cool News covering the newest Hasbro franchise to hit the silverscreen in a live action film, G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

Wow! thanks for the News credits! :APPLAUSE:

yeah I don't know, I still think ROTF is a great movie.. I will have to see Gi Joe to determine if the Gi Joe movie is perhaps better structured then the ROTF movie..

However, if Michael Bay were to release the 1st Transformers movie and ROTF as a special extended cut incorporating new footage that closes plot holes, then I would have to say that Transformers is a win..

Let us all hope that fans request or suggest such "band aides" for the current Transformer movies..
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957653)
Posted by Mach on July 18th, 2009 @ 9:27pm CDT
Bravo, skywarp2. Congrats for the front page news! :grin:
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957662)
Posted by skywarp-2 on July 18th, 2009 @ 9:45pm CDT
Real Devastator wrote:Bravo, skywarp2. Congrats for the front page news! :grin:

Thanks RD! I have to pretty much scour the net almost all the time to keep up with you, and your skills! :D
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957674)
Posted by Mach on July 18th, 2009 @ 10:01pm CDT
skywarp-2 wrote:
Real Devastator wrote:Bravo, skywarp2. Congrats for the front page news! :grin:

Haha.... Thats my purpose.... Would like to encourage and see all members searching for new things and post it here.
Each member contribute one news will make Seibertron one news better!
Keep it up, Skywarp2.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957678)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on July 18th, 2009 @ 10:13pm CDT
Am i the ONLY person who had no trouble at all following the plot in RotF?
I mean, it had big holes but every review seems to paint it as super confusing, but I was never lost or confused...

Also, the Accelerator Suits in GIJoe make the big action scenes look like NOT the kind of action I want from GIJoe.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957684)
Posted by vectorA3 on July 18th, 2009 @ 10:24pm CDT
This is good news. Leaves me hopeful.

On the plus side: The last trailer I saw (when I watched ROTF the 2nd time) was actually quite good, made me want to see it.

Minus side: A friend of mine who worked on the movie (& is diehard Joe comic fan) said he didn't think the film will be that good. Don't know what his opinion is now though. Rumor has it that director Stephen Sommers was kicked out of the editing room & a new editors were brought in -things got so heated. Unfortunately the studio/money men get final say.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957693)
Posted by DetectiveFork on July 18th, 2009 @ 10:36pm CDT
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957694)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 18th, 2009 @ 10:39pm CDT
DetectiveFork wrote:I'm having trouble getting past the really shitty-looking Cobra Commander they went with in the film. Totally screwing up an iconic character can be a dealbreaker.
Can you point me in the direction of a pic of this new Cobrs Commander? I've been dying to see what he looks like.
Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra to be better than Transformers ROTF? (957698)
Posted by Shadowman on July 18th, 2009 @ 10:42pm CDT
NuclearConvoy wrote:Am i the ONLY person who had no trouble at all following the plot in RotF?

No, I followed it easily as well.

vectorA3 wrote:Minus side: A friend of mine who worked on the movie (& is diehard Joe comic fan) said he didn't think the film will be that good. Don't know what his opinion is now though.

He was an extra, he hasn't seen the final product, which as we've seen includes heavy CGI. That's like criticizing a comic even though you've only seen the pencils, not the inks, colors, or even text.

vectorA3 wrote:Rumor has it that director Stephen Sommers was kicked out of the editing room & a new editors were brought in -things got so heated. Unfortunately the studio/money men get final say.

It never happened, it was just a rumor that got out of hand. Sommers never got fired or kicked out of anything.

Sabrblade wrote:

Right here. Sorry it's so small, could soemone find a bigger pic?

The good news, that's Destro wearing that mask. Bad news, that's Cobra Commander on the far right.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Netflix Megatron With Skelivore War for Cybertron New Sealed In Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Scourge/Sweeps Body Part, Right Side Shield" on EBAY
Buy "Armada of Cyclonus Scourge Sweep Set of 3 | Transformers Platinum Edition Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "2017 Transformers Collertors Club TFSS Series 5.0 Shattered Glass Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "G1 transformers Diamond Select bust Coronation Starscream 445/600 broken read" on EBAY
Buy "NEWinbox "Armada of Cyclonus" Hasbro Transformers 3pc Set Cyclonus+Sweep+Scourge" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTCON 2013 MACHINE WARS SUNSTORM #A" on EBAY