GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales.

GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales.

Monday, July 2nd, 2007 4:18pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Company News
Posted by: TheMuffin   Views: 11,169

As if it wasn't obvious enough, General Motors hopes the Transformers Movie will help increase the sales of their automobiles. With the giant media blitz advertising both GM and Transformers, it's hard not to have a Chevy on your mind at the moment.

Yahoo! has posted a new article about GM, going into detail on how hard they are trying to appeal to a younger market, and how the Transformers Movie will help. A warning before reading the article. If you're not a fan of in your face product placement, a few of the quotes might make you cringe.

Credit(s): Yahoo.com

Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (195287)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on July 2nd, 2007 @ 5:09pm CDT
If I had money for the gas or gas efficient, the new Camero would be sweet.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (195382)
Posted by dragons on July 2nd, 2007 @ 5:56pm CDT
if i had the money i wouldnt buy gm i just buy the cheapest and sfaest car there is not because the company puts there products in the films
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (195436)
Posted by Autobot032 on July 2nd, 2007 @ 6:36pm CDT
"GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales."

Yeah...banking on the movie to do that, probably won't help much. Oh sure, a few fanboys (and I mean GM enthusiasts) will get rock hard and go right out and buy themselves a GMC Topkick to make up for what they lack in size.

However, most people will just see the film for what it is. A fun, out of this world diversion for 2.5 hours and think nothing more.

If GM really wanted to transform their sales, they'd actually make cars that ran worth a damn. I watched a guy pull into a store with a Chevy Cobalt (he bought it *THAT* afternoon, and by 10:30 that night when I was on shift)....it broke down, right there in the parking lot. The same friggin' day he bought it!

Granted, not all of their vehicles are crap (although my family has never had a good run in with anything labeled GM...) and the fact that any car can be a lemon...but come on. It died the same day the guy bought it? Are you kidding me?

No. Banking on this movie will only help for a few sales, but if you really want to rebuild your company...make a quality product, respect your employees (instead of trying to buy them out and leave them by the wayside), and make the product affordable.

I don't know about you, but I (along with many other people, not just TF collectors who have personal feelings invested in this) can't afford to spend the money they require for a basic car with no extras included.

Bank on something viable, something tangible and real. Not a movie that might make or break itself in the box office.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (195513)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on July 2nd, 2007 @ 7:25pm CDT
Not with me doing their advertising!

I keep stealing all the posters stickers and prop signs:)
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (195553)
Posted by TheMuffin on July 2nd, 2007 @ 7:47pm CDT
I'm with you Autobot32. I have an 06' Cobalt LS. While I like the car itself, it's a piece of crap overall. I've had it in the dealership 3 times already and it's not even two years old yet. And I have to take it back up there next week for a loud clunking noise when I hit bumps. It's like the damn shock isn't even bolted in anymore and it's clanking against the tab it gets bolted to. I swear they loosen something each time it's in so I have to keep taking it back. And then finally when the warranty is gone I'll have to start paying for things they intentionally broke. GM was so much better back in the 90's. My 95' Pontiac Sunfire only had one problem. And that was the fuel pump needing to be replaced in 2005. Ten years without a single problem...I crashed it soon after.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (195818)
Posted by osubot20 on July 2nd, 2007 @ 10:53pm CDT
I still won't buy a GM I like Mopars. HOWEVER I am looking to to buy my favorite car of all time a 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS 396.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (195842)
Posted by Energon_Skywarp on July 2nd, 2007 @ 11:22pm CDT
That might be easier for them to do if one of their most featured vehicles *cough* Camaro *cough* was actually available for purchase!!

So silly.

Other than that you have a Topkick ($60,000 +), a Hummer ($50,000) and a Solstice, which at around $25,000 is the most affordable of the bunch. Too many pricey vehicles to try to sell if you ask me.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (196006)
Posted by Tigertrack on July 3rd, 2007 @ 12:11am CDT
I didn't realize this, but I was watching a making of 'The Island' tonight and Bay has had GM ties for quite awhile. They made him a concept car modle then too.

Nice to have the hookups...anything to support the American auto industry! Advertise away Bay, and HASBRO, get people to buy more GM (and Ford too) vehicles. Our economy needs support!
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (196038)
Posted by KSC on July 3rd, 2007 @ 12:22am CDT
I love GM and I'm looking for anothe fan of cars to help me confim something

When Jazz scans the Soltice, on the showroom floor is another car sitting right next to it. Was that the Soltice's cousin the Saturn Sky?

For those of you who have no clue what I'm talking about, just look for this car in the aforementioned scene next time you see the film

Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (196109)
Posted by Autobot032 on July 3rd, 2007 @ 1:02am CDT
The Solstice and the Sky are pretty much the same car, with slight modifications.

It's like the Cadillac pickup that shares the same body with the Chevy pickup. (can't think of the name right now.)

Or the GMC trucks that Sector 7 use, which are Chevy Suburbans.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (196130)
Posted by KSC on July 3rd, 2007 @ 1:14am CDT
Trust me, I know all that! ;)

Sharing body types is very common. For instance the new Dodge Charger=Magnum=Chrysler300, Cobalt=Ion=HHR=Saab 9-3, Eclipse=Laser=Talon, the list goes on and on.

specifically though, there is a SKY in the dealership where Jazz scans the Soltice. I screamed it out when I saw it!
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (196373)
Posted by Anonymous on July 3rd, 2007 @ 5:47am CDT
Autobot032 wrote:"GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales."

I agree. The days of the General dominating are long-gone. Now it is Toyota who rules in sales, and their are several reasons for this. RELIABILITY is one.

But I do concede the Solstice/Sky are great-LOOKING cars. But they are a bit late to save GM.

But the Miata is a far better car.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (196658)
Posted by SunScourge on July 3rd, 2007 @ 10:13am CDT
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (196766)
Posted by Anonymous on July 3rd, 2007 @ 11:05am CDT
Black and Red Scourge wrote:No offense but I hate GM and GM companies ( Chevy/Ford/Dodge). If domestic cars were a little more reliabel and didn't eat up so much gas I may like them. But it's to late anyway I am a honda man until I die.

Hondas are sublime. But don't forget Toyota, and Nissan!
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (199230)
Posted by Davoux prime on July 4th, 2007 @ 9:39am CDT

Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (199240)
Posted by Algus on July 4th, 2007 @ 9:49am CDT
I've been saving money for the camaro for awhile now. Though to be fair, I liked camaros a long time before the movie came out and would have bought one anyway. I was excited beyond belief when they announced they were going to put a new camaro out again.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (199314)
Posted by SunScourge on July 4th, 2007 @ 10:29am CDT
YouFearGalvatron wrote:

Hondas are sublime. But don't forget Toyota, and Nissan!

Oh yeah I got much love for my Japanese companies.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (200900)
Posted by Anonymous on July 5th, 2007 @ 5:20am CDT
Davoux prime wrote:GM shouldve had a limited autobot line set up for the movie and the new camaro should be out sooner than later. Since any volkswagen make (audi,lambo,bentley etc) was shut out in the new movie except for the old beetle I decided to do a little autobot homage to my car for a couple of car shows I was in last month.

Sweet man, that's just a regular Golf, right? Because the GTI has the red trim around a matte-black grille.

But the logo is a bit LARGE.

Still ma great little car.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (205001)
Posted by Davoux prime on July 7th, 2007 @ 10:48am CDT
Yeah its a golf or rabbit whatever its called these days (same car). And yes from that angle the logo is a little big but it was a last minute thing we pumped out so there was no going back haha.
Re: GM Hopes Movie Will Transform Sales. (205823)
Posted by Riotflea on July 7th, 2007 @ 6:41pm CDT
They have a classic rock station on where I work 9 hours a day.

The commercials made me wince in pain.

In one, a chick is asking the dealer if the car she's looking at has "energon cannons" and a guy asks if it runs on "allspark cube".

Oh,there's much more, but that's all my brain could handle retaining of the gut-wrenching squareness.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #273 - Our Way to Oblivion
"Our Way to Oblivion"
Posted: Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

Buy "Transformers The Last Knight Movie Premier Edition Raptor Figure - Dinobot Slash" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Playskool Transformers Rescue bots CHIEF CHARLIE BURNS PVC Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer w/ Blur" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power of the Prime PP-21 Terracon Ripper Snapper" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Centurion Drone WFC-E33 Weaponizer pack set MISB BOX T1" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime beast hunters Predacons rising Knockout and Darksteel" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers centurion drone Megatron Mace Energon Cube Ravage Cage Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Kingdom War for Cybertron Trilogy - Dinobot" on EBAY