Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81

Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81

Friday, May 11th, 2012 9:30pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: LOST Cybertronian   Views: 36,834

Guido Guidi has revealed on his facebook page, his retro variant cover for Transformers: Regeneration One #81. This cover features lineart and colors by Guido. The cover has been mirrored below.

Credit(s): Guido Guidi facebook

This article was last modified on Friday, May 11th, 2012 10:14pm CDT

Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379046)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on May 11th, 2012 @ 9:43pm CDT
Artwork looks neat. Makes me want to read it with its crazy colours and retro sci fi comic look.
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379068)
Posted by BeastProwl on May 11th, 2012 @ 11:06pm CDT
Somebody show this to rodimus...
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379073)
Posted by Seibertron on May 11th, 2012 @ 11:18pm CDT
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379076)
Posted by Powermaster Jazz on May 11th, 2012 @ 11:24pm CDT
It's so awesome that this is happening! :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379080)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 11th, 2012 @ 11:32pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:Interesting seeing Hot Rod in his comic book colors, but Soundwave is in his blue instead of purple comic colors. Soundwave might be argued to be blue though because, if I recall correctly, he was blue in the UK, purple in the US.
Good point.

My guess is that, since ReG1 is strictly Marvel U.S. continuity (no UK stuff), Soundwave may have changed his colors to blue within the 20-year time period, but Hot Rod just stayed magenta. :-?
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379094)
Posted by Seibertron on May 12th, 2012 @ 12:53am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Good point.

In my opinion, the inclusion of Ultra Magnus as well as Soundwave's role being more akin to his UK self negates the "no UK stuff", not to mention the British spelling of a few words such as "defence".
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379133)
Posted by griftimus prime on May 12th, 2012 @ 6:51am CDT
this art is too good for this comic. too modern looking in comparison. also whats with the purple knee caps?
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379137)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 12th, 2012 @ 7:24am CDT
Seibertron wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Good point.

But Simon Furman basically said "no UK stuff" at his BotCon panel. He said that the Wreckers would be appearing in ReG1 but wouldn't be the same as those who appeared in the previous UK issues (like, if Springer's a member of the ReG1 Wreckers, he wouldn't be the same Springer who was in the Marvel UK Wreckers).

And he said that this would Ultra Magnus's first appearance in this continuity, since he was only in the UK stuff (and in the Marvel adaptation of the 1986 movie and "The Big Broadcast of 2006" issue, which both are kinda hard to put into main Marvel U.S. timeline).

It's kinda like how the Galvatron who showed up during the latter chapters of the Marvel U.S. run wasn't the same Galvatron as the one who showed up during the previous UK chapters, only that this time everything's from the same timeline instead of all the different alternate timelines.
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379165)
Posted by Seibertron on May 12th, 2012 @ 9:57am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Good point.

Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379169)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 12th, 2012 @ 10:08am CDT
Seibertron wrote:You brought up the Wreckers which would be yet another UK element. Furman can say "no UK stuff", and perhaps that's what he had to tell IDW, but the UK side of the original Marvel run will most definitely have influences as you can already see from issue 80.5.
Well, yes, there will be things influenced from Marvel UK, but I mean that Furman said that the events of the Marvel UK issues will have not existed or taken place in the timeline of ReG1. Like, with the Wreckers of ReG1, this will have been the first time they appear in this continuity, as they wouldn't had any of the adventures that the Wreckers of Marvel UK had.
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379191)
Posted by Optimutt on May 12th, 2012 @ 11:38am CDT
Absolutely love the retro colours.

But what gets me most is the authenticity of the Atkin/Garvey inking styling. That is dead-on, Mr. Guidi. Your art has always impressed me, but I can't think of any other artists whose mimicry skills can match yours. Kudos to you, sir!
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379192)
Posted by Seibertron on May 12th, 2012 @ 11:39am CDT
Optimutt wrote:Absolutely love the retro colours.

Amen to this! Guido Guidi is awesome. He's the artist that I would have liked to have rivaled had I continued with my artwork. Seibertron.com owes its creation to my desire to mimic the cartoon art style as much as possible for my G1 The Lost Years comic that I wanted to draw way back in 2000. Thousands of screen captures later ... and Seibertron.com was born!
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379202)
Posted by Bouncy X on May 12th, 2012 @ 12:32pm CDT
maybe the color error on Hot Rod for the widescreen version of the movie wasn't an error afterall. :P
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379506)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 13th, 2012 @ 3:01pm CDT
I think I just had a stroke, heart attack, and aneurism all at once. I was actually going to wait for the TPB, but I might have to get all the single issues now, just for the covers. Let's see how the others look.
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379563)
Posted by 8 bit on May 13th, 2012 @ 7:06pm CDT
I'm really digging all of this 80's retro comic book art. The cover with Hot Rod, Kup, and Magnus is epic!

I just purchased the three available IDW TBPs of the Generation One Marvel comics. I only read/owned a handful when I was a kid; so it'll be fun to get into that series as well as this new one.
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379675)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 14th, 2012 @ 7:21am CDT
I'm so glad I still have all my Titan TPBs.
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379727)
Posted by Marcdachamp on May 14th, 2012 @ 10:39am CDT
The versatility of IDW's artists never ceases to amaze me. What a fantastic cover.
Re: Guido Guidi Reveals Variant Cover for Transformers Regeneration One #81 (1379802)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on May 14th, 2012 @ 2:41pm CDT
Man, I love that Prime cover by Geoff Senior.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #288 - Filler Episode
"Filler Episode"
Posted: Sunday, November 14th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro RICOCHET NIGHTSTICK Transformers G1 TRU Commemorative Series IX MISB" on EBAY
Buy "1987 Vintage G1 Transformers Decepticon Headmaster Snapdragon Krunk" on EBAY
Buy "Scorponok Helmet Mask 1987 Vintage G1 Transformers Fasttrack Antenna Radar" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Scorponok 1st Run & Fast Track" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Ironworks SEALED War for Cybertron: Earthrise Deluxe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wingspan Cloudraker Clones Walgreens MISB Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Walgreens Exclusive & Wingspan Cloudraker" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Battle For Cybertron Quintesson Invasion Shockwave Prowl" on EBAY