Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff

Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff

Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 5:28pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Rumors, People News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,209

Fellow Seibertronian SnoopDawg has sent us a notification of a new piece up on The Hollywood Reporter - which may be entirely unfounded, so grab your salt packs - about next year's Bumblebee spinoff movie from the Paramount Transformers cinematic universe. Apparently, 20 year old True Grit cast member Hailee Steinfeld is in talks for the movie, as a 'tomboy who also holds a job as a mechanic after school'. Check out the full piece here, and an extract below!

Hailee Steinfeld is in negotiations to star in Paramount's Transformers spinoff Bumblebee.

Travis Knight, who directed the stop-motion movie Kubo and the Two Strings, is helming the project.

Bumblebee is the yellow and black striped Autobot that appears as one of the main characters in the Transformers film series.

Plot details are being kept on the dark side of the moon but it is known that Steinfeld will play a tomboy who also holds a job as a mechanic after school. Christina Hodson (Shut In) wrote the script.

The movie project is the first spinoff in what the studio hopes will be a Transformers Cinematic Universe that will include prequels and offshoots from a line of movies that have generated over $3.7 billion worldwide with the latest one, Transformers: The Last Knight, set to hit theaters June 23.

Credit(s): THR

Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1885553)
Posted by the_neptrix on May 31st, 2017 @ 5:33pm CDT
Huh. They really like their female mechanics. Kubo was good, so I have higher expectations for this one.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1885582)
Posted by Prowl4 on May 31st, 2017 @ 7:19pm CDT
Long live Michael bay helming the mainline movies instead of this nonsense already starting in the spin off.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888672)
Posted by william-james88 on June 11th, 2017 @ 12:21pm CDT
We knew Hailee Steinfeld was in talks to be in the Transformers Spinoff Bumblebee movie but now it is confirmed. Not only that, but the film will be starting to shoot soon. Of course, it has to, since the film is still scheduled to come out next year, but it's good to know things are on track.

Here is what Hailee had to say to News.com Australia:

“I am so excited to know that is the next movie I am working on,” she said as the news broke last week.
“Obviously I’m coming to Australia and when I come back, we start shooting.”
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888678)
Posted by Prowl4 on June 11th, 2017 @ 12:57pm CDT
Bee bounces off male characters better. Not looking forward to this and looking at who is writing it should probably not encourage much excitement with this lame person as the lead.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888686)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 11th, 2017 @ 1:34pm CDT
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888692)
Posted by william-james88 on June 11th, 2017 @ 1:49pm CDT
SlyTF1 wrote:Yeah, this movie's going to be trash. This is the first movie in the franchise I'm not looking forward to at all.

I cant believe i am reading these words from you Sly. What dont you like about this? It has a good director and it will give us a chance to see a different point of view rather than Michael Bay. This intrigues me quite a bit.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888707)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 11th, 2017 @ 3:05pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

Bumblebee, my least favorite Transformer in the movie universe is going to be one of the only Cybertronians in the movie. I don't care about him, period. What could he possibly do on his own that we haven't seen done before?
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888708)
Posted by Kurona on June 11th, 2017 @ 3:06pm CDT
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888712)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 11th, 2017 @ 3:16pm CDT
Kurona wrote:Even Sly doesn't like Bumblebee? What sort of hellish alternate universe have I stumbled into?

I never liked him. The scene in ROTF where he pulled Ravage's spine out his ass was cool, but that's about the extent of it.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888716)
Posted by .... on June 11th, 2017 @ 3:28pm CDT

:lol:

I like him though. He's kinda cute and does some cool things. At least he's not an ass like some of the other 'Bots. Though, Crosshairs is kinda my kind of a jackass.

ALSO, who can bet on how many modes Bee's gonna get in this movie? Four? Twelve?
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888720)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 11th, 2017 @ 3:35pm CDT
Now, I'd live to see Crosshairs, Hound, or Drift get their own movies. Hell, give Ironhide and Ratchet a movie. But Bumblebee? Nah.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888732)
Posted by Deadput on June 11th, 2017 @ 4:51pm CDT
I actually started to like Bumblebee more over the years while he's never been my fave because of my "curse" of being unable to like the main character that much, Bumblebee and Prime are one of the few that I'm able to like but I'm still unable to consider them favorites in any context... still don't care for Megatron much either since he is always the most generic of the Transformers in both looks and personality in every continuity besides Beast Wars and he's kinda not the same character.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888750)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on June 11th, 2017 @ 5:33pm CDT
Kingpin sums up my reaction perfectly.

Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888764)
Posted by william-james88 on June 11th, 2017 @ 7:01pm CDT

It was nominated for ten Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor in a Leading Role (Bridges), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Steinfeld), Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Sound Editing.

She's also Trinity in this Taylor Swift video:

Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888765)
Posted by Kurona on June 11th, 2017 @ 7:03pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:Kingpin is always shown as a well educated, sophisticated man who likes to stay up to date in the arts. He would know Hailee, she is probably the best actress to ever be in a Transformers film aside from Francis McDormand. She was the main character (even though the Academy called it a supporting role) of True Grit, which was nominated at the Oscars in 2010 for the following:

She's also Trinity in this Taylor Swift video:

I think it'd be more likely Spiderman wouldn't know who Hailee is - something for which Kingpin would kill him with a car door.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888843)
Posted by Windsweeper on June 12th, 2017 @ 3:15am CDT
I'm looking forward to this. I never liked G1 Bumblebee but i do like movie Bee.

It's a shame they kill off the cooler designed Autobots like Jazz, Sideswipe, Jolt and Arcee and keep shoving the ugly ones like Brains, Hound and Drift in our faces.

At least this movie has a new director.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888952)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 12th, 2017 @ 6:02pm CDT
See, I am still excited for the movie. I love the live action films and Bee is one of my favorites, especially in the looks department. Plus, he was my first Autobot toy, so I have a very special soft spot for him.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1888957)
Posted by .... on June 12th, 2017 @ 6:13pm CDT
You know why I'm excited for this movie? Because it might actually be clean enough to watch with the youngsters. I just hope Bee doesn't get 10 alt modes in this movie.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1889006)
Posted by Deadput on June 12th, 2017 @ 8:24pm CDT
I would assume that Hot Rod is in this film as well considering how him and Bee were together during World War 2 and maybe we find out why Hot Rod up and left and started to hang out with Edmund (Anthony Hopkins) if that question is not answered in TLK or we might get more details if we do.

More then likely Optimus will have a cameo but probably something like a radio communication with Bee or sending Bee to Earth and I assume we might get one or two original Autobots in the film that get killed off maybe somebody like Cliffjumper.

For Decepticons the two I can think of for main antagonist are Barricade since he is being pushed as Bee's rival and Soundwave since Dotm establishes that him, Laserbeak and presumably Ravage were around back then when they convinced Dylan Gould's dad to shut down the space programs in the 1970's, we might see some of the movie 1 Decepticons (Frenzy, Blackout, Scorponok, Brawl and Bonecrusher) since we never got an answer of when they arrived in the movies and since the comics are no longer canon that opens up possibilities but I think Frenzy and Blackout are the more likely choices, I don't think either Megatron or Starscream would be major villains since Megatron should be frozen during this time and Starscream has little to no knowledge of the plans of DOTM and I have no idea if Shockwave would fit anywhere in the film since we as of now have no idea when he showed up or what he was doing prior to DOTM.

For humans the only things I can think of are the return of Sector 7 with perhaps a young Simmons or his dad, Gould's dad, and some cameo by a Witwicky maybe a younger Ron.
Re: Hailee Steinfeld Rumoured to Star in Transformers Bumblebee Spinoff (1889012)
Posted by william-james88 on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:23pm CDT
Hailee Steinfeld is pretty pumped to be in the Bumblebee movie, she talks about her excitement every chance she gets. You will see a snippet of that below, as we pull a quote from her interview with Newsbeat. For those who don't know her, Hailee was first nominated at the Oscars at age 13 for her role in the Coen Brother's True Grit. Since then she has also become a pop star known for the hit song Love Myself.
And for those who don't know the director, Travis Knight, he is the heir to the Nike fortune. However, instead of just living the good life, he dedicated his life to preserving the art of stop motion pictures in the US and is the CEO of the world's premier stop motion studio, Laika, and the director of last year's Oscar nominated Kubo and the Two Strings.

Now without further ado, here is Hailee's quote about the upcoming Bumblebee movie.

"I am so excited I'm doing the spin-off, it's starting very soon," the 20-year-old actress and singer told Newsbeat.
"It's crazy to think about. I'm a big fan of the Transformers movies and I can't believe I am going to be in a version of them."
"I will be shooting Bumblebee in the States and working on the music at the same time. So we will see how that all pans out," she says.
"But this movie is really something special. It has a great storyline and this character that I play, who you will soon meet, is really special. So I'm very excited for people to see it."

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "** 2014 - WINDCHARGER Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class **" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT PREMIER EDITION DELUXE DINOBOT SLUG NEW IN BOX" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Deluxe DINOBOT SLUDGE Figure Hasbro 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Titans Return Transformers Scourge Rippersnapper Highbrow Twinferno New" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G1 WRECK-GAR Lot For Parts With Gun, Vintage Takara 1986" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Go! G19 Hunter ratchet" on EBAY