Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay.

Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay.

Saturday, February 21st, 2009 6:42am CST

Category: Auctions
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 15,069

Every now and then ebay auction bring us hilarious things that claim to be something they are not and then there are those rare times that ebay auctions show us something that we have ether forgotten or never heard off and would never have known existed. This could be one of those times that we get to see something that we would never have known of it's existence.

A seller on eBay is currently auctioning off two helmets that he claims are part of costumes Hasbro used at live events to promote their products in the 80's.
He has two up for auction:
Grimlock
Hasbro promothinal Helmets on ebay.

Kickback
Hasbro promothinal Helmets on ebay.

Stay tuned to seibertron.com for all your Transformers related news!

Credit(s): Dysaan

This article was last modified on Saturday, February 21st, 2009 7:57am CST

Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887586)
Posted by Down_Shift on February 21st, 2009 @ 7:19am CST
I love that Grimlock helmet but the Kickback helmet kinda sucks.
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887594)
Posted by Blozor on February 21st, 2009 @ 7:49am CST
Looking at the Grimlock helmet, I realize how easily they could make something like that as a motorcycle helmet. If they could reinforce it and give it a little more visibility, it would be awesome. Pretty much any Transformer face with a visor could do it. Jazz and Bombshell too.
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887620)
Posted by emeraldbeacon on February 21st, 2009 @ 8:57am CST
Not feeling that Kickback... but that Grimlock helm is beyond awesome. :)
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887645)
Posted by dragons on February 21st, 2009 @ 9:44am CST
kickback need to do something with the front that glittery foil alumunnu typ stuff doesnt look like kick back should have painted it silver or grey not flashy alunmun go grimlock looks great
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887664)
Posted by Firebird on February 21st, 2009 @ 10:24am CST
emeraldbeacon wrote:Not feeling that Kickback... but that Grimlock helm is beyond awesome. :)

Agreed.

But I wonder what happened to the rest of the costume?
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887680)
Posted by typh0id on February 21st, 2009 @ 11:26am CST
Firebird wrote:But I wonder what happened to the rest of the costume?

The rest of the costume was just Hawaian shorts, flip-flops, and an "<-- I'm with Stupid" t-shirt :P
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887709)
Posted by Tatsu on February 21st, 2009 @ 12:21pm CST
I was at a show where they had the Grimlock costume...

ImageImage

It was pretty lame. Grimlock, Spike and some alien girl or whatever. Grimlock never spoke.
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887734)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on February 21st, 2009 @ 1:44pm CST
The Kickback one looks home made but the Grimlock one looks professionally done. Hey hasbro heres a new idea for ya. You already made movie ones so why not make ones from other series too? Im sure they'd sell better.
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887739)
Posted by Sky Glory of Iacon on February 21st, 2009 @ 1:59pm CST
Tatsu wrote:I was at a show where they had the Grimlock costume...

ImageImage

Well can ya please at least explain why Spike was with an alien girl at a haunted house with Grimlock?
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887744)
Posted by Tatsu on February 21st, 2009 @ 2:13pm CST
I would if I could, but I can't remember. All I remember is that nothing beyond Spike being dressed right and the guy in the Grimlock suit resembled anything like what we would think of as a Transformers story. They could've substituted any random guy & suited character into the story and it would've been the same. But when I saw Transformers on the calendar for the amusement park, I made sure that that was the day my parents took me.
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887794)
Posted by Dreadwinglord on February 21st, 2009 @ 3:19pm CST
The Grimlock one is cool, I don't like the Kickback one though
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887807)
Posted by Energon on February 21st, 2009 @ 3:30pm CST

Jeffrey did not know what became of the costumes.

Sorry for the poor copy.

Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887867)
Posted by Riotflea on February 21st, 2009 @ 5:59pm CST
Lol. These are both hideous in their own ways (oh, poor Kickback!) and yet both awesome in their own ways too.

The head shapes are at least pretty faithful!

Before the pics came up, I was expecting this to be Jazz and Skywarp, as I remember quite vividly their appearance being on a commercial for some store (Toys R Us, I think). The commercial even ended with Jazz on the left and Skywarp on the right (costumed people, not cartoons) waving towards the camera and acting like every idiot paid to wear a character costume acts lol. "This weekend, meet the Transformers!"
Wow! Awesome! ...But my parents didn't take me.
V__V

I lived in the Delaware Valley of PA, so the appearance could've been anywhere from the Lehigh Valley Mall, Montgomeryville, Philadelphia... ANYWHERE around there.

They were GOOD costumes too... not giant, oversized monstrosities.
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887917)
Posted by Yeti on February 21st, 2009 @ 7:39pm CST
Wow, make Grimlocks Visor gold and the rest of him grean and you have the Masterchief! I wonder what the AC cord thing is for? Maybe his visor lights up?
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (887949)
Posted by Down_Shift on February 21st, 2009 @ 8:38pm CST
Energon wrote:Sorry for the poor copy.

Sorry nothin!

Thanks for showing us it wasn't all smoke and bullshit.
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (888126)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 22nd, 2009 @ 3:20am CST
Energon wrote:This was one of the costumes that were part of a display at Macy's in New York prior to the 86 Movie, to promote the movie and sell toys. There are 3 costumes in this photo. Grimlock in Robot mode and Dino mode and also Starscream. I took this photo at the Tampa Comicon last year. This is a page from Jeffry Bresslauer's portfolio which he was kind enough to show to me. Jeffrey is an actor who wore each of those costumes in NY.

Jeffrey did not know what became of the costumes.

Sorry for the poor copy.

We have a similar article for that stuff here

Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (888169)
Posted by relentless on February 22nd, 2009 @ 7:06am CST
HEY! i actually have pictures with that Grimlock! also with Starscream and a couple others from when I went to Marine World Africa USA in California back in the 80s. It was like a Transformers day and I was so excited. I also got two Camshaft Omnibots from the event. i wish i could find my home movie of that day.
Re: Hasbro 80's Promotional Helmets on eBay. (894384)
Posted by Energon on March 6th, 2009 @ 7:35am CST
[quote="Dead MetalDude if you could provide us with better copies, they would be like gold to us over at http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page!

We have a similar article for that stuff here

Those images of yourse and the ebay ones could provide us with enough to make a new article concerning costumes! :D[/quote]

I saw the actor last weekend and he provided to me the high res scan of the pics. Send me a PM and I will get them to you.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Exclusive Platinum Edition Action Figure Silver Knight Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Bumblebee Hex Bug Nano Micro Robotics Transformers 4 Age of Extinction HexBug" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Age of Extinction  OPTIMUS PRIME  FIRST EDITION Leader Class NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2014 Age of Extinction Deluxe Class Drift Flip & Change." on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers: Rescue Bots Academy - Whirl The Flight-Bot! New!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers:  Age of Extinction Voyager Class Galvatron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Electronic Hero Mashers Light Up Weapons Hasbro NEW" on EBAY
Buy "2013 Transformers Construct Bots AOE DinoBot Optimus Prime & Gnaw Dino Brand NEW" on EBAY