Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set

Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set

Tuesday, May 8th, 2018 6:36am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 18,878

Going by the imagery in the listing (which prices the set at 1235 Yuan / 193 USD), the figures will be individually packaged and grouped together in a bigger box, sporting some nice Volcanicus art, plus an added notebook featuring the new dinobot combiner and the Power of the Primes logo. Check out the images below, and let us know what you think of this new take on the 'box set' idea in the Energon Pub Discussion Boards!

Transformers News: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set

Credit(s): Tmall

Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958200)
Posted by Emerje on May 8th, 2018 @ 6:55am CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Nemesis Prime (amazon)
Wreck-Gar (Walgreens)
shuttle Blastoff (Amazon)
Punch/Counterpunch (Amazon)
Repugnus (amazon)

We know thanks to listings from ACD Distribution that Repugnus and Blast Off won't be exclusive to any one store. They're probably the closest to May Mayhem we're getting in this block of exclusives.

Emerje
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958225)
Posted by NTESHFT on May 8th, 2018 @ 9:12am CDT
Lore Keeper wrote:
Cobotron wrote:
NTESHFT wrote:I hope Emerge is right and Repugnus is from a Titans Return mold. Would go great with the other 2 for sure.

I'm also hoping for the best with Punch/Counterpunch. Heres to having my fingers double-crossed......

Ah ha! I see what you did there. ;)
I'm sure Counterpunch will double cross more than your fingers.

I'm hoping Repugnus is a TR mold too. I'd think they would retool the same base mold used for Twinferno and Grotusque. I'd be fine with that.
The only other logicall option I could see is a retool of Ripper Snapper. That would be ok, but I'd prefer the TR option.

I share your preference, but it seems unlikely that he'll be anything but a combiner limb. Hasbro has been very strict about not breaking from play patterns in the Prime Wars Trilogy. The fact that Blastoff is apparently coming with a HFG instead of Prime Armor is already a huge deviation from the norm.

He will probably be double crossing my wallet lil.....

Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958226)
Posted by NTESHFT on May 8th, 2018 @ 9:14am CDT
leokearon wrote:I hope Repungus is easier to get than Grotesque (who am I kidding)

Our luck he's gonna be harder. I got Grotesque from TRU so that's self explanatory
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958227)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on May 8th, 2018 @ 9:17am CDT
NTESHFT wrote:Is Blastoff the only one of the Combaticons coming in this line? I have seen or heard nothing about the others myself unless I missed it on the board....

Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958231)
Posted by mordhelm on May 8th, 2018 @ 9:28am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:Blast Off is the only one, as he was "the wrong vehicle" back in Combiner Wars, and this is Hasbro's offer to rectify that. The rest of Combaticons will not see a re-release, which is a shame. A perfect opportunity to fix Brawl :lol:

The Rook mold (Specifically the Nosecode retool) would have made an awesome Brawl. Would we have cared about the mold reuse though?
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958232)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 8th, 2018 @ 9:29am CDT
Wow. The idea of Doubleheader with two titan masters is a really cool idea.

We still need to see a Doubledealer cranked out for this line, too. My hopes aren't high, though.

Counterpunch would be fine with a cool "new twist" of two titan masters... but I hope they at least find some figure where you can change the look by flipping front to back. After two flawed versions, it would be nice to have one version knocked out of the park.

I think troop builders are the other missed opportunity for titan masters.... like, Wreck Gar could come with two or three heads or they could be included as an on-the-shelf single pack titan master. The could even do a rolling paint or plastic color change through the wave, or some add on weapons or armor that would change the look of the figure enough to display differently on the shelf and encourage multiple purchases.

Takara found a way to let us troop build sweeps, but I wish we could see that stateside to cut down costs. (That's kind of the point with troop building.)
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958241)
Posted by Cobotron on May 8th, 2018 @ 9:49am CDT
You know, after I had that little idea about Cogman being used for Punch/Counter Punch I looked over to the PotPie crew on my desk. My eyes went straight to Jazz and I thought, NOPE! He'll just be a repaint of Jazz with a face on both sides of his head.

:lol: :lol: .......................... >:oP
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958243)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on May 8th, 2018 @ 10:05am CDT
mordhelm wrote:

Funny thing: Rook probably started out as Brawl, as the alternate head of the mold is supposedly that of the Combaticon. It would have seen use as Ironclad, a Technobot and part of the Computron set, with a Legends Afterburner, before Deluxe Groove became a thing. :lol:

I would be ok with Rook as Brawl actually, it wouldn't have been the first time Brawl was an APC:

Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958244)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 8th, 2018 @ 10:08am CDT
I hadn't even thought about Jazz. Wonder how his back would look as a chest. Hmmm.

As an aside, I'd love it if they retooled the chest and cranked out: Sideswipe, Red Alert, and G2 Sideswipe. (And maybe Deep Cover and his pal if they're feeling spunky.) Sideswipe is the only Ark member from MTMTE who hasn't gotten a combiner, seems like. (At least the "deluxe" sized crew.)

Actually wait... if they were working on that, maybe they will just use that mold for Punch/Counterpunch... and put it out as a pre-tool for Sideswipe.

I'm holding out hopes for this. Seems like could be best case scenario that's on the table.
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958253)
Posted by o.supreme on May 8th, 2018 @ 11:07am CDT
Va'al wrote:According to a listing on Chinese online retailer Tmall, there will be a Hasbro Asia box set release of sorts coming for the Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus members - meaning that dinobots Grimlock, Slug, Sludge, Swoop, and Snarl will all be collected in one box. Literally.

As a fan of this form of distribution, I never thought there would be a "Box Set" that did not interest me. But I guess they found a way. The whole point of the "Giftset" idea dating back to the original series, and was reflected well in Unite Warriors, was not only to offer them all for a single price, but to have them display in a unique way as well. Granted Hasbro's Box sets for CW and TR didn't have window boxes, but they were still unique. This is just all the same packaging, just in a fancy Cube. You cannot put the figures back in "display mode" as you could with all the other box sets if wanted. Nope, this is an easy pass for me.
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958255)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 8th, 2018 @ 11:10am CDT
I agree with everything above. And the other BIG downside to this is that it doesn't reduce the overall size of the box. For storage, display, and SHIPPING cost... this is all quite disappointing.

Also sad for those of us who want to round out a Unite Warrior set in matching boxes with nice paintings on the front.
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958259)
Posted by o.supreme on May 8th, 2018 @ 11:15am CDT
^ Agreed. I posted the notion a while back that some 3P company should create UW styled Window Box packaging for some of these new PotP combiners. I guess using Hasbro's artwork on the front would be problematic, but maybe they just could manufacture the boxes and the inserts and provide a way for fans to print the artwork themselves?
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958263)
Posted by o.supreme on May 8th, 2018 @ 11:28am CDT
:TAKARATOMY: PotP Releases for Octoer:

PP-32 Prime Master Alpha Trion
PP-33 Insecticon Skrapnel
PP-34 Autobot Tailgate
PP-35 Autobot Nova Star
PP-36 Autobot Inferno

I'm surprised they are releasing Skrapnel, I didn't think they would. Still nor Rodimus Unicronus..., and at this rate, they may get Novastar and Inferno before we do. Nice Original Animated series pairing btw... 8-)
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958275)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 8th, 2018 @ 12:08pm CDT

I'd love to see this for all the other gestalts who never got a box... including Botcon Magnaboss and other oddities like Modulus.

Yes. I realize this is a wild pipe dream.
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958278)
Posted by o.supreme on May 8th, 2018 @ 12:23pm CDT
gothsaurus wrote:I know we have enough talented artists in our pool of fans that some could be commissioned for the covers.

Yes. I realize this is a wild pipe dream.

It is, but I'm 100% on board with it.

Magnaboss
Thunder Mayhem
Wreckage
Modulus (if anyone can get one proper...)

I'd love to have Boxes for all of them.
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958295)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 8th, 2018 @ 1:47pm CDT
Which one was modulus again?
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958296)
Posted by o.supreme on May 8th, 2018 @ 2:02pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Which one was modulus again?

For anyone who attended the Build-A-Figure workshop at Botcon 2016, getting a 2nd complete Ratchet Build-A-Figure would be quite an accomplishment, for any who didn't (99% of the fandom), getting this is going to be pretty much a life-long quest. Yeah I know there is one lucky SOB out there that has all the figs, but if I ever complete this in my lifetime, it will be quite the feat.
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958315)
Posted by gothsaurus on May 8th, 2018 @ 4:41pm CDT
You can still find extra Ratchet's on eBay... or substitute a Ratchet from the Unite Warriors set.

And as for making a custom Medix, he IS entirely First Aid mold. Anyone really interested in putting together a Modulus character could throw one together for their Combiner Wars shelf for a grin without too much cost.

I say this knowing custom class WAS all about making customs. :-D

That said, someone should sell me a Medix head. Shoot me a PM. ;)
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958320)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on May 8th, 2018 @ 5:19pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:Which one was modulus again?

Worth noting is that his name originated in the NERF franchise, in a line of customized blasters ;)
Re: Hasbro Asia Transformers Power of the Primes Volcanicus Box Set (1958324)
Posted by MadProject on May 8th, 2018 @ 5:49pm CDT
I was looking again at my PotP Swoop, and I noticed a couple of holes in his waist area.
Those hole don't look to have any function in any modes, but my first thought was that they were supposed to connect to a couple of pegs placed in the inner side of the lower legs to make the leg mode more stable.
Then I noticed that the legs don't have any pegs that would do that.
So has anyone idea the purpouse of those holes?
Since the waist is different, it's not like they were designed for Cutthroat.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Armada Megatron Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 Original Transformer Autobots “Trailbreaker" - 1984 - Black 4wd" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War For Cybertron Earthrise Paradron Medic Lifeline - No Gun" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO Transformers Mini-Con  Slipstream." on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Earthrise Kingdom Lot Of 10 New Hoist Trailbreaker Inferno Scourge" on EBAY