Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release

Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release

Wednesday, June 22nd, 2016 9:58am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: LOST Cybertronian   Views: 31,764

Site sponsor Robotkingdom has put a pre-order for a Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron. The final design has not been revealed but it is expected to be similar to the 25th Anniversary Unicron which was an Amazon exclusive and featured a new head sculpt. It is set for a December 2016 release.

Transformers News: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Revealed For December 2016 Release

Credit(s): Robotkingdom

This article was last modified on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2016 10:00am CDT

Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799542)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:01am CDT
Dammit, I kinda want that...
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799546)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:06am CDT
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799548)
Posted by Randomhero on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:08am CDT
I just sold my 25th anniversary Amazon exclusive! No regrets, it was awesome but it did just stand on a display collecting dust. I think it was $75 back in 2011 I pray it's not $150 for the people who want this .
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799556)
Posted by Kurona on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:25am CDT
I suppose this does make sense. They have made Platinum sets this year for every other main character of the 1986 movie, why not one for the big antagonist?
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799562)
Posted by Kyleor on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:34am CDT
Not a Headmaster/Base version of Unicron? Disappointed.
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799565)
Posted by Lucky Logician on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:38am CDT
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799566)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:39am CDT
Lucky Logician wrote:WHAT?! He is only $129? But he has the word 'platinum' in his name. After all the other platinum price gouges, I would've expected him to go for $200.

Don't jinx it!
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799567)
Posted by Seibertron on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:42am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:So, this'll make a total of four special commemorative uses (Universe 2008 Welcome to TF 2010, Amazon, and now Platinum Edition) of the Armada Unicron mold?

Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799568)
Posted by Emerje on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:49am CDT
Give the crazy prices for even small Platinum Edition box sets and how they priced Trypticon I would be very surprised if they didn't put him at around US$200. Supreme Starscream was US$110 two years ago and he wasn't nearly as complex as Unicron. We'll see.

Edit: I suppose the US price probably wont stray too far from the Chinese release if Robotkingdom's price holds.

Emerje
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799570)
Posted by Madeus Prime on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:52am CDT
Oh god, please, please be affordably priced.... :BOWDOWN:
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799571)
Posted by shauyaun on June 22nd, 2016 @ 10:54am CDT
Oh gosh I hope he's priced better than that!
I have wanted this mold for so long and if they give us primus as well I will FLIP! :CON: :BOT:
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799572)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on June 22nd, 2016 @ 11:01am CDT
Seibertron wrote:

How close does Takara-Tomy's Transformers 2010 Anniversary edition of Unicron come in your estimation?
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799574)
Posted by Emerje on June 22nd, 2016 @ 11:03am CDT
Seibertron wrote:

What didn't you like about the WtTF2010 version? Aside from the clear hand and some extra paint apps on the arms I thought he was pretty screen accurate. I preferred him far more than the dark and metallic Amazon version.

Given the release date Robotkingdom being the one to break the news I wonder if this will actually be a 2017 Year of the Rooster release? Can't imagine what colors they'd choose if that were the case.

Emerje
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799576)
Posted by Randomhero on June 22nd, 2016 @ 11:06am CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

Don't jinx it!

That's...not a bad price. Based on inflation and time if honestly say that's an old price as long as he's not glowing green and translucent and suppose to invoke him about to explode
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799580)
Posted by william-james88 on June 22nd, 2016 @ 11:26am CDT
Randomhero wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

Don't jinx it!

I dont know guys, the prices on Robot kingdom are usually the lowest and far lower than what they go for at retail. Platinum Optimus Primal was 119$ for instance and was released in the US for 150. I am saying that the price at US retail will be minimum 150$ for this toy. And its no use buying from Robot Kingdom to save (if you are in the US) because the shipping will come out to over 150$ anyways.
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799581)
Posted by Delicon on June 22nd, 2016 @ 11:27am CDT
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799594)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on June 22nd, 2016 @ 11:49am CDT
Delicon wrote:I think this is a good move. There are plenty of people who have started their Classicsverse collections since the last release. Combiner Wars brought a lot of people in.

Excellent point, and it'll go with the other movie related Platinum sets.

Well, I look forward to hunting for his minicon at least. Platinums seems to be ironically hit and miss in regard to their paintjobs. Springer looks to be the best version yet, but they don't know how to draw flames, so both Hot Rod and Rodimus look bad. I wonder how Unicron will look - great or terrible. Either way I'm not sure I want to replace my Amazon Unicron.

Hopefully the box art will look like the toy. It's a small pet peeve, but I dislike it when the art doesn't match the toy and we've gotten a lot of that lately.
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799597)
Posted by shajaki on June 22nd, 2016 @ 11:55am CDT
Seibertron wrote:And yet they still haven't done his colors right yet. Hopefully the 4th "special" edition is the charm!
What exactly are you looking for in a Unicron color scheme? I was putting together thoughts and pics and stumbled on a post from Megatronus with pretty much all my thoughts. Both the 2010 and Amazon Unicron's have their merits as he points out:

megatronus wrote:I own both, and each has their own allure. This site actually has great galleries comparing them. Here's a prime shot:

The problem is that the movie uses a wide ranging palette of colors. I really think it's a matter of personal preference. Compare the above to each of these shots from the movie:

Some shots have more grey, others more blue. Also, the oranges vary. The two versions tease those differences out into two equally serviceable versions.

Once I have the space to do so, I plan on displaying both. 2010 Unicron in planet-mode, since the black wash on the round planet cover-pieces really pop and highlights the mold's details. Amazon Unicron in robot-mode, since I think that version meshes a bit better with my Classics/Generations toys.
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799599)
Posted by shajaki on June 22nd, 2016 @ 12:00pm CDT

I'm interested to see how he'll differ from 2010 and Amazon though :-?
Re: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron Listed For December 2016 Release (1799600)
Posted by Cobotron on June 22nd, 2016 @ 12:07pm CDT
shajaki wrote:For me, I'll probably buy any Unicron they release. But what I'd specifically like to see from the Armada mold is that stupid clear hand replaced with solid colored plastic. That's annoyed me since day 1.

I'm interested to see how he'll differ from 2010 and Amazon though :-?
I probably took the batteries out ages ago, but isn't that hand clear because it lights up?

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Construct Bots Kit & Parts By Hasbro Ultimate Class E1:01 Megatron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Deluxe Lot. Crosshairs and Drift" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Loyal Subjects Optimus Prime Action Figure Funko Pop Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 Shrapnel insecticon in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 ramjet Seeker 2/16 in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 Sideswipe Autobot 84 in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 Thrust Seeker 2/16 in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Construct-Bots Optimus Prime Vs. Megatron Construction Set" on EBAY