Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011

Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011

Thursday, April 14th, 2011 2:55pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Company News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 36,133

Hasbro is reporting a 71% drop in profits for the first quarter of 2011. That figure sounds worse than it actually is, as there are several factors that need to be taken into consideration. First quarter sales for toy companies usually take a hit due to following the holiday season, Hasbro has made a sizable investment in getting The Hub off the ground, and due a reduced demand for toys in the first quarter many retailers have decided to focus on clearing out leftover holiday inventory rather than ordering new product (sound familiar?).

There is however a silver lining, boys products were actually up 25% while girls, preschool, and games showed a loss. Despite their weak start Hasbro's Brian Goldner remains optimistic for the remainder of the year and states they are still on track to meet their full year's sales plan. Hasbro has a huge entertainment line-up for this summer, which includes toy lines for "Captain America: the First Avenger", "Thor", and of course "Transformers DOTM" to help bolster sales. To read more follow these links: Reuters or Yahoo

Credit(s): Reuters, Yahoo

This article was last modified on Thursday, April 14th, 2011 5:43pm CDT

Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209098)
Posted by whacko on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:07pm CDT

I get it, most stores are waiting for the avalanche of TF3 toys before stocking up. But don't you guys (Hasbro) have any sales reps pushing your partner retailers to get the latest lines like Generations and RTS?

Not only that, but Hasbro doesn't even stock HasbroToyShop.com very well. There are tons of toys I would hand my money over for if they were available for me to buy.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209100)
Posted by Twitchythe3rd on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:16pm CDT
whacko wrote:You know what's good or getting you earnings up? Getting you damn toys into stores! The only Transformers products I have seen at any of 20 shops near my house have old ROTF Toys and not many of those.

It's a case of Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Retailers aren't seeing a need to order new stuff when theres a ton of old stuff that needs to be cleared out.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209103)
Posted by RodimalToyota on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:23pm CDT
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209106)
Posted by Twitchythe3rd on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:25pm CDT
Ignore this. Random double post.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209108)
Posted by ae_productions on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:28pm CDT
No doubt.

I have not seen ANYTHING for RTS in about 2 months. We are still polluted with 1st and 2nd movie toys.

Now we get more shelf warmers with DOTM toys!

Retail stores need to clearance that Movie crap out.

I would have spent a LOT of money on Transformers had they been available ANY WHERE. I know A LOT of Transformers fans who feel the same way. We all wanted the RTS and Generations toys. Few of my pals across the country (and even fewer overseas) can find but a handful of the line. That's why they're down 71%.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209111)
Posted by rpetras on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:30pm CDT
RodimalToyota wrote:Might help to get the Tuner Mudflap ROTF toys off the shelves so i can get some gosh darn RTS stuff before it's annihilated by DOTM.

QFT!

I have FIVE, count them FIVE pegs full of Tuner Mudflaps at my local TRU.

:BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209112)
Posted by Lord Onixprime on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:31pm CDT
Might have more profits if the shelves hadn't been clogged with Hunt for the Decepticon crap since September. I see the same shelf warmers every time I walk into the store.

Unfortunately, this was caused by the boom of the first movie in which they couldn't keep shelves full, and then the flop of ROTF where public interest died after a few months. Even so, Hasbro kept pushing out movie crap since 2009. Let's hope they don't do the same for DOTM. Run the line for maybe a year, summer to summer, but then let it die.

Every time I do find new figures it is like 1 or 2 of each new guy and they go fast.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209120)
Posted by BATTLEMASTER IIC on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:45pm CDT
I think it's because they decided to cancel RTS Windcharger and haven't gotten the other new goods up here yet!

Yes I'm being fececious.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209121)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:47pm CDT
Heres hoping their (Hasbro's) Marketing teams learn of the bad figures clogging shelves and avoid those types of figure, in regards to their colour/mold/ size class, etc. Anything that'll give them a headsup idea of when to STOP with a certain line of figures, especially ones that are getting multiple iterations like ravage and mudflap. The ROTF line has a lot of figures with muted colour schemes, that I bet when a few are left behind, and they clump together, become this immediate off switch in the brain of a child, or child in an adults body to look past them and not even give them a second chance.
But until then, we are all pretty much screwed and at the mercy of our local business men store owners, hehe.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209124)
Posted by Seibertron on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:50pm CDT

I keep saying it and I'll say it one more time: stop wasting gas driving around for these figures, buy the figures online or import them, or don't plan on getting them.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209125)
Posted by kirbenvost on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:51pm CDT

It's like they don't know how to predict how things will sell. Just because initial shipments of Generations Wave 1 sold quickly didn't mean they had to order 5 times as much on the next order, thus shelfwarming pegs even now.

And now of course they want to wait for DOTM. :rolleyes:

That's why I ordered all my recent stuff on BBTS. With the strong Canadian dollar, it's actually comparable even with shipping.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209127)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:54pm CDT
kirbenvost wrote:I was going to say, their sales would be a lot better if shelves weren't full of old crap or NOTHING AT ALL. I guess this can partially be blamed on retailers ordering way too much of the wrong things.

And now of course they want to wait for DOTM. :rolleyes:

I'd almost guess that they don't "predict" too much at all compared to how much we the fans and consumers know about the potential success of the figures. I think they just have waaaay too much to try and estimate sales for in their stores, and sorta just go with their best bets according to limited market research. And compounded with a video game department (I don't know how it all works, just guessing), it might seem that they almost don't care too much about certain toy lines as long as the big hitters make it through.

But hey, if even with a recession, Hasbro is doing good, then hats off to them, and perhaps to us fans who don't stop spending on TFs even when we're poor. :lol:
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209129)
Posted by ae_productions on April 14th, 2011 @ 3:55pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:I keep saying our stock got sent overseas to capitalize on the higher dollar due to a quarterly loss here. Or maybe they just got what they were supposed to get and orders are simply down.

You may be right. It's hard paying 2 - 5 times what a figure retails for. But if you add in the wasted time, the cost of gas...it adds up.

Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209132)
Posted by Burn on April 14th, 2011 @ 4:02pm CDT
ae_productions wrote:Someone mentioned RTS (Generations) peg warmers. Where are you at? The ONLY peg warms we have here, and we have them in mass quantity, is ROTF toys.

Well as I told the staff last night, I just went into my local K-Mart and found the Generations Legends on clearance. And realistically they've only been in Australia for 2-3 months.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209134)
Posted by Seibertron on April 14th, 2011 @ 4:07pm CDT
ae_productions wrote:

We have newer figures from about 5 or 6 months ago warming our shelves around the Chicago area. This includes Thunderwing, Skullgrin, Cliffjumper, Dirge and even Blurr in some stores (I saw 3 at a Walmart the other day). HFTD The Fallen and Highbrow can be found frequently. Mindset and Fallback can be found at some stores, I think RTS deluxe wave 1 are pretty common at Kohl's (have you checked out your local Kohl's?). No G1 Legends and no newer scouts. DOTM Preview Prime can be found at TRU and some Walmarts.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209136)
Posted by Anonymous on April 14th, 2011 @ 4:10pm CDT
Nice numbers... so when can you get the kiddies back into the factories to put together more toys? C'mon time is money, Hasbro!
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209138)
Posted by NTESHFT on April 14th, 2011 @ 4:11pm CDT
I have given up on searching retail stores. I only look at Walmart's simply because I go there to get groceries, and I'm not even disappointed anymore. I won't even go to Toys R Us, unless they have an exclusive I want. Everything I get now days comes from BBTS or Robotkingdom.com Hasbro should really start looking at this site more than they do to see what the fans have to say. Tell you what Hasbro- just open a new department of people just to look at all the fan-based sites for your toys and come up with ideas and I'll be the first one to turn in an application...... :KREMZEEK:
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209139)
Posted by icenemesis on April 14th, 2011 @ 4:12pm CDT
rpetras wrote:

QFT!

I have FIVE, count them FIVE pegs full of Tuner Mudflaps at my local TRU.

:BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD:

is he really that bad, i haven't seen one in my area since December. dirge and the rest of the generation are what clogging up the shelves here.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209144)
Posted by griftimus prime on April 14th, 2011 @ 4:23pm CDT
stop making sooo many bad repaints and shelf warmers.

also .. gas prices are through the roof.
Re: Hasbro Reports 71% Profit Loss in the First Quarter of 2011 (1209147)
Posted by Kibble on April 14th, 2011 @ 4:25pm CDT
I really don't understand why Hasbro doesn't put more effort into making sure hasbrotoyshop.com is fully stocked all the time! If the B&M stores can manage to put figures on sale for $8 or $9 a pop, I can't imagine they're doing so at a loss...so if they're paying Hasbro that or less per fig, yet Hasbro still charges full retail price at HTS.com, you'd think they'd like to sell all the merchandise they possibly could via their website and make that much more profit per figure.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #273 - Our Way to Oblivion
"Our Way to Oblivion"
Posted: Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen Runamuck Ironhide Sparkcrusher Mudflap Swerve" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers lot of 3  - Generations Select - Deluxe - Ricochet - Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Vintage Takara Pretender Leader Metalhawk Inner Robot Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Optimus Prime Race Track Trailer Playset" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers WFC Earthrise Bombshock and Growl Sealed!" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Leader DOUBLEDEALER  NIB NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Racing Trailer Optimus Prime missing trailer" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Kingdom War for Cybertron Trilogy Optimus Prime Hasbro F0699" on EBAY