Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions

Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions

Friday, April 11th, 2008 10:11am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Company News, Auctions
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 27,572

Earlier this week, auctions were pulled off eBay for 3 upcoming Classics figures (Sunstreaker, Prowl and Tankor). It appeared that Hasbro was finally taking a stand against the early releases and/or prototypes from China that keep showing up early on eBay (often referred to as "stolen" or "lunch time specials"). Seibertron.com now has confirmation that Hasbro is indeed starting to go after these types of auctions (please see the message below). It is our hope that Hasbro will begin going after the G1 knock offs as well and put an end to the increasing problem of the market from early releases of upcoming figures and knock offs.

In the interest of full disclosure, the eBay user mentioned below, chicagorhinox, is the account for Ryan Yzquierdo, the owner of Seibertron.com and the writer of this news post.

Dear chicagorhinox,

You recently listed the following auction-style listing:

170208223501 - Transformers Animated Bulkhead Red Prototype Complete

The listing was removed because it violated eBay policy. We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

The rights owner, Hasbro, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

Trademark infringement is unlawful and violates eBay's policies. A trademark is a unique sign (such as a name, word, phrase, logo, or symbol) that a company uses to identify its products and/or services.

Using another company's trademark in a way that may confuse buyers about the source of goods or services, or confuses buyers into believing that the seller is affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by the trademark owner is both illegal and against eBay's policies. Examples include counterfeits, unauthorized replica items and items that bear the brand or logo of a company without that company's permission.

Guideline: If the product you are listing bears the brand or logo of a company, but it wasn't made or authorized by that company, don't sell it on eBay.

Parallel import laws may prohibit the unauthorized importation of branded products into certain other countries. Sellers who intend to ship branded items outside of the country for which the item was intended for distribution may be required to get authorization from the trademark owner to sell those items in other countries. This may be true even if the good is genuine and legal to distribute in the seller's country.

For more information, please visit the following Help pages:

To take the intellectual property tutorial, please visit:

http://pages.eBay.com/help/tutorial/ver ... intro.html

Please be aware that any additional violations of this policy may result in the suspension of your account. eBay understands that you may be concerned about this situation.We encourage you to contact Hasbro, Inc. directly if you have any questions.

You can send an email to: [[[ EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED BY SEIBERTRON.COM ]]]

For more information on how eBay protects Intellectual Property, or for additional information if you believe that your listing has been removed as a result of an error or misidentification, please visit the following Help page:

For more information on why eBay may remove a listing, please visit:

Please be assured that your listings have not been targeted in any way. Although there may be similar items currently listed on eBay, we review all listings that are reported to us by eBay members or Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program participants. We rely on reports from our members to help maintain the safety and security of our Community. We encourage you to report any items by using the REPORT THIS ITEM button on the listing so we can quickly remove any other items that should be removed.

Your listing(s) may be eligible for relisting through My eBay. If your listing is eligible, you will see the listing in your Unsold Items page within My eBay. Listings that are not eligible for relisting will not be visible in the Unsold Items page.

To relist your item, sign in to eBay, go to My eBay to your Unsold items, and select the item that was canceled -- it's highlighted with a yellow banner. Before relisting, please make any changes necessary to ensure that your revised listing is in compliance with the law and eBay policies. You might want to check your other listings for similar violations as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
eBay Trust & Safety

This article was last modified on Friday, April 11th, 2008 10:24am CDT

Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677872)
Posted by Cyberstrike on April 11th, 2008 @ 10:19am CDT
OK, I can understand that but what about stuff like G2 Motormaster
prototype? The last I heard that Hasbro isn't planning on releasing it
as part of any of the current lines?
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677879)
Posted by Seibertron on April 11th, 2008 @ 10:31am CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:OK, I can understand that but what about stuff like G2 Motormaster
prototype? The last I heard that Hasbro isn't planning on releasing it
as part of any of the current lines?

I believe that they are only taking action against figures that show up on eBay that haven't been released yet. I imagine it's probably too late for regular Transformers Animated figures since they've been released in the Cincinatti market. The prototype I was selling probably still falls within eBay's violations of some sort even though the rest of the Animated figures do not at this time. The upcoming Universe (Classics 2.0) figures haven't been released in any capacity so they easily fall within infringements of Hasbro.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677904)
Posted by Cyberjet #7 on April 11th, 2008 @ 10:53am CDT
I guess the rule of thumb is:

If Hasbro plans on making money on it first they don't want other people to.

But I'm very encouraged about possible action against the KOs.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677914)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 11th, 2008 @ 11:00am CDT
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677920)
Posted by Seibertron on April 11th, 2008 @ 11:04am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Ok, Ryan, so if you can't sell your Bulkhead proto, what're ya gonna do with it?

I just can't sell it on eBay. :D

I guess I'll sell it to the first person to email me telling me they're going to send me $150 plus $8 for shipping and handling via Paypal.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677922)
Posted by dragons on April 11th, 2008 @ 11:06am CDT
it reminds me alot like like of youtube and there restrictions on the complete episodes that are being hosted i can understand youtube piont of veiw in somesituations.

but who cares if its just some prototypes or not
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677945)
Posted by Trikeboy on April 11th, 2008 @ 11:25am CDT
Why are Hasbro not tackling all the Botcon 2008 auctions then. I'm not complaining because I got Evil Rodimus for £63.20 ($124.77) and they are going for over $200. However, I was watching auctions for the souvenir minicons but they have disappeared from ebay.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677954)
Posted by TFBuyer on April 11th, 2008 @ 11:33am CDT
Trikeboy wrote:I'm not complaining because I got Evil Rodimus for £63.20 ($124.77) and they are going for over $200.

Not that you didn't make a great point, but you got Evil Rodimus for that much!? I haven't seen one under $230, minus shipping!
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677971)
Posted by Glitcher on April 11th, 2008 @ 11:42am CDT
I wondered what happened to that Classics Prowl I was watching. So Hasbro's taking action against official products, but not KO's? That's getting their priorities straight. ¬_¬
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677977)
Posted by capellamusic on April 11th, 2008 @ 11:57am CDT
Wheelie say, kill the damn KOs today :D
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (677986)
Posted by Trikeboy on April 11th, 2008 @ 12:03pm CDT
TFBuyer wrote:

I know, I couldn't believe it. Here is the item number: 260226819371. I was actually quite excited in the closing seconds. There is a classic Prowl currently up on ebay but I guess it will be gone before it finishes. Is Hasbro only doing this with eBay?
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (678106)
Posted by StryderPrime on April 11th, 2008 @ 1:58pm CDT
I did mention in one board on here that i surprise that Hasbro havent yet took any actions against ppl selling their products b4 their release date cause the sellers are making a killing on ebay and other auctions and i know Hasbro will eventually do something about cause they losing customers and profit over it.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (678114)
Posted by shortround on April 11th, 2008 @ 2:06pm CDT
All I can say is karma a bitch.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (678313)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on April 11th, 2008 @ 5:07pm CDT
I'd say it's about time.
Hopefully this will lead to knock-off G1 stuff getting dealt with.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (678323)
Posted by capellamusic on April 11th, 2008 @ 5:21pm CDT
NuclearConvoy wrote:I'd say it's about time.
Hopefully this will lead to knock-off G1 stuff getting dealt with.

I hope so, the KOs really started to annoy me after buying a G1 Buzzsaw on eBay and then finding out it was a KO upon receiving it. The listing was selling it as a vintage item. The seller was yc-collection.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (678480)
Posted by Down_Shift on April 11th, 2008 @ 7:43pm CDT
In one aspect, I'm glad they are doing this.

On the other hand, I'm pissed I'll have to wait for Universe to come out to actually see new Seibertron galleries.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (678486)
Posted by Geekee1 on April 11th, 2008 @ 7:50pm CDT
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (678492)
Posted by capellamusic on April 11th, 2008 @ 8:03pm CDT
Geekee1 wrote:I really hope they start going after the KO makers hardcore. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so close to the originals and use the copyright and trademark stamps. I've seen posts that show the differences, but by the time that I see them in real life I can't remember what to look for.

If people said "no" to KOs instead of buying and supporting them, maybe they wouldn't be so intensely produced and sold. So, maybe it's our fault as well. We have to boicot the KOs in order to end them.
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (678503)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on April 11th, 2008 @ 8:24pm CDT
Slap on the wrist eh?

Well, you can be glad that you at least got the galleries up first!

A question though, where you reselling these because you didn't want the over head(space is valuable) or because you didn't feel they where worth keeping in general?
Re: Hasbro taking action against certain eBay auctions (678511)
Posted by Down_Shift on April 11th, 2008 @ 8:33pm CDT
Hey Boss Monkey, what about you know who? *Will we still be getting a gallery?

*just a tinnnnnny hint ladies and gents :wink:

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #287 - Pulse Con 2021
"Pulse Con 2021"
Posted: Monday, October 25th, 2021

Buy "Transformers DOUBLE PUNCH Botcon Japan Exclusive The Evil Predacon Limited" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Soundblaster Black 35th Anniversary Hasbro WFC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots SALVAGE Garbage Truck Figure Hasbro Playskool Heroes" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2005 BotCon Decent Into Darkness Ricochet" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS BLADES (Shark Sub Variant), Rare Shark Sub Capture 2015" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wheelie" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return SLUGSLINGER w/ Caliburst 2017 Figure MOSC in USA G1" on EBAY
Buy "Gigapower GP HQ-04 Graviter (METALLIC) Transformers Sludge Complete, Re-boxed" on EBAY