Thursday, July 6th, 2017 7:17pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 16,278

We have some more news on IDW Publishing's Hasbro Universe comics crossover event First Strike, starting this September, via the website Dynamic Forces, who were able to have a chat with current editor David Hedgecock! The full interview can be found here, but we've highlighted some snippets below too, covering the main plot of the event, the factions, the motives, and more! Check it out.

DF: It is so hard to have peace in any comic book universe, but the IDW/Hasbro Earth was on the verge of joining the Cybertronian Council of Worlds … not unlike the Earth of the Star Trek universe when it was initiated into the United Federation of Planets, to my mind. What goes wrong here?

David Hedgecock: The Transformers are members of a massively powerful ancient alien race that have been warring amongst themselves for millions of years. As the Transformers have spread out across the stars, that war has spread with them. No matter where the Transformers go, they bring death and destruction. The “peace” that the Transformers currently enjoy is but a breath in the grand scheme.

There are people on Earth who understand this. People who feel that Optimus Prime, by initiating Earth into the Council, has done nothing but paint a big red target on the planet and that our destruction is a foregone conclusion if something isn’t done. First Strike is about one man's mission to save his planet from what he feels is the greatest threat to humanity in its entire history, and his solution to save all of humankind... is to destroy all Transformers.

[...]

DF: David, there certainly seems enough action for two or three “events” in First Strike, but what can you tell us about the personal side of all of this? Who are the real POV characters here and what is/will become their motivations? What will give First Strike its heart?

David Hedgecock: Scarlett is really going to be the “heart” of this story. In the midst of all the chaos and destruction that will ensue, it’s Scarlett’s personal battle that may determine the true outcome and fate of two planets. I’m so amazed by what Mairghread Scott and David Rodriguez have been able to accomplish in this regard. These two writers have put together an event book worthy of the name, with all the explosions, destruction, and cyborg ninjas one would expect while still delivering a really compelling, heartfelt character piece with resonance and meaning. I’m in awe of both of them, truly!

DF: As August and this epic crossover approaches, is it possible to give readers new and established a road map of sorts as to where it starts and where it will go, title-wise?

David Hedgecock: August will see the “Season Finale” of several of our titles— G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts: Wrath of Karza, and Rom. These books are all coming to their natural conclusions and making way for the big First Strike event. We had several reasons for this but chief among them were two things— 1. All the stories were coming to their natural end for the “Season” and we needed to clear the decks for brand new material coming out of the event. 2. We didn’t want to ask our fans to buy more than what they were already comfortable with buying. With the event and its surrounding one-shots, we felt we had enough books in the market and didn’t want to ask our fans to buy MORE than what they might normally buy to be able to enjoy the “big” story we’ve created.

Credit(s): Dynamic Forces

Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1900561)
Posted by Va'al on July 29th, 2017 @ 11:13am CDT
Via iTunes, we have the first short preview for the next big thing over at IDW Publishing and the Hasbro Universe: three pages for the upcoming First Strike event, featuring Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, Micronauts, Revolutionaries and more! The images have been enlarged and mirrored below, and we will expect a more substantial preview in the next week or so too - so stay tuned for more!

A Hasbro comic book event! A new era of peace is dawning as Earth formally joins the Cybertronian Council of Worlds. That is… until Baron Ironblood joins Destro, Storm Shadow and other nefarious villains in a terrorist attack on Iacon! As chaos takes hold on Cybertron, it will be left to Scarlett and the rest of G.I. Joe on Earth to discover the true purpose behind the attack before both worlds descend into all-out-war!

Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1900621)
Posted by Randomhero on July 29th, 2017 @ 2:26pm CDT
This looks great
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1901615)
Posted by ScottyP on August 3rd, 2017 @ 8:56am CDT

• Optimus Prime 10
  • Micronauts: Wrath of Karza 4 and 5
  • Rom 12, 13, and 14
  • Revolutionaries 7 and 8
  • GI Joe 8 and 9
  • M.A.S.K. 9 and 10

240 pages of lead-in material. 240.

:APPLAUSE:
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1901625)
Posted by o.supreme on August 3rd, 2017 @ 9:30am CDT
^I've been concerned about this for some time. I was wondering why Revolutionaries was like 3 months behind, and now TAAO is a month behind, but with both of those ending, I guess it doesn't matter. I keep hearing this is Diamond Distributing's fault and not IDW...but now I'm not convinced.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1901626)
Posted by Kurona on August 3rd, 2017 @ 9:30am CDT
It's the most frustrating thing. Crossovers and scheduling; the two things IDW can't do.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1901654)
Posted by Big Grim on August 3rd, 2017 @ 11:58am CDT
ScottyP wrote:First Strike 1 comes out next week, and when it hits the following things intended to lead up to it will still not have been released:

• Optimus Prime 10
  • Micronauts: Wrath of Karza 4 and 5
  • Rom 12, 13, and 14
  • Revolutionaries 7 and 8
  • GI Joe 8 and 9
  • M.A.S.K. 9 and 10

240 pages of lead-in material. 240.

:APPLAUSE:

That's impressive! And horrifying!

Have IDW always been this bad at their scheduling. I know they have with their crossovers.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1901661)
Posted by Kurona on August 3rd, 2017 @ 12:18pm CDT
I think so, but it only became particularly noticeable with such a huge influx of books taking place in the same universe. Before Revolution, they only really had two constant ongoings to keep a track of -- MTMTE and ex-RiD.

Beyond that you had that one Drift mini - which is very fluid in where it takes place; you can read it anytime between Ratchet's departure from the Lost Light and Dying of the Light - ; some books like Primacy which don't have any immediate connection to the cocurrent stories; the Dinobot stories which are their own self-contained thing so it doesn't matter all too much when they come out; and the Windblade books, which aside from actual crossover stuff, are also fairly fluid in where they take place and where you read them.

But now we've got all these books converging into a single point and which are supposed to have shared world events happening at the same time for them -- take for instance how much more involved the Council of Worlds have been with what Optimus is doing. We saw them in OP with references to Windblade being in some sense inactive and hence the Mistress of Flame having to take over for her; leaving a fair few of us who had been keeping up with both OP and TAAO very confused as to what was going on. The move from fluid continuity to solid continuity has done a fine job of exposing just how bad IDW is on the business side of things.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1901743)
Posted by ScottyP on August 3rd, 2017 @ 5:49pm CDT
Fact: They don't have enough editors. This is the only actual reason they are behind like they are. Even then, most books are only a month behind, part of my earlier post embellishes a little - the original intention probably was that some of the finale books like Rev'aries 8, Rom 14, GI Joe 9, and MASK 10 were going to come out concurrently or just after First Strike started.

Another fact: These delays really started in earnest in December '16/January '17, and they never have gotten that month back. Some things have just slipped yet further.

My own speculation (not even a rumor, just me talking): I'm not sure they have a consistently available printer. But you know, a service company that prints comics, not literally an office printer. Just looking at some recent stuff I have Revolutionaries 6 and issue 2 of the Sourcebook that were printed in Korea, with Lost Light 8 having been printed in the US. I wouldn't have to go too deep into the pile of older stuff to find something printed in Canada.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902253)
Posted by Va'al on August 5th, 2017 @ 10:53am CDT
Still operating on the lack of an embargo, we have a repeat of the full preview for IDW Publishing's Hasbro Universe First Strike comics crossover event - which we have seen before. What is new is the interview with writers Mairghread Scott and David Rodriguez, a brief one mind you, in the backmatter of the first issue of the Transformers meets GI Joe meets MASK meets Micronauts meets Rom the Spaceknight. Check it out below!

Can you give us a hint of any major surprises or revelations that readers can expect from First Strike?

MS: Well, Scarlett’s gonna throw down with the last person on Earth she wants to fight. Anyone who thinks Shazraella’s gonna spend this book clinging to some-one’s shoulder is sorely mistaken. Optimus is in for a rude awakening and Elita One is going to prove once again that there’s a reason she’s the same color as Cybertronian blood. Oh, and that’ll take us to the end of Issue 2.

DR: I’m not sure what we’re clear to say this early on. But I can say that this isn’t just an “event” series—the universe is going to be permanently changed in a meaningful way by the end of First Strike. Hopefully we can get some jaws and f-bombs to drop. When working with characters with such a long history, how do you raise the bar and bring readers something they haven’t seen before?

MS: The most challenging part was more tonal than anything else. Till All Are One is a very political book. G.I. Joe is very balls-to-the-wall crazy action. Micronauts is fast-paced with a lot of wry humor. M.A.S.K. and Rom take on a darker tone. We wanted to feel like all these books could live together and still give fans each book’s unique aspect.

DR: I think the best thing we can do for the readers, and luckily Mairghread and David Hedgecock have been a big advocate for this as well, is to make sure that we are engaging all the characters in this story with emotional stakes that resonate with our readers. Sure, we can put Cybertron at risk with a huge, summer blockbuster style event and visuals, but without that relatable, human backbone to the story, it feels hollow. We are going to do our best to deliver that experience to fans.

Are there any characters you’re going to work with in First Strike that you haven’t had the chance to write before? Any characters you’ve been away from for a while that you’re excited to write again?

MS: This is my first time writing Scarlett and I am psyched. I’ve been wanting to write her for years. And it’s always a thrill to write Optimus. It’s been surprising how fun all the Joes are to write, but the real stand-out right now is Shazraella. She’s such a stuck-up, overconfident, condescending...well, every line of dialogue she has is a joy.

DR: Scarlett has always been a favorite. I was glad that I got to use her in the M.A.S.K. Annual and she has a large part in First Strike. She is just a fantastic character to write. But part of the fun of First Strike is the opportunity to discover and expand on characters I wasn’t as familiar with growing up and exploring how they interact with each other. But don’t be surprised if you see Sunstreaker. He is, after all, the prettiest damn Transformer that ever rolled out.

And finally, if you could be a Transformer,who or what would you want the ability to transform into?

MS: JET! JET! JET! Wait—! Robot dragon! No, 1950s UFO! ...Did anyone call shark/bird yet?

This may take a while.

DR: Oh, I would totally want to be Shockwave. Not only is his design incredible, but he might be the most stone-cold, ghost-faced, unflappable character in the entire universe. I don’t know if you remember, but Megatron called him from Earth after 4 million years and Shockwave picked up on the FIRST RING. No hemming and hawing, or “Where the hell you been?!” He was just “Yes, Lord Megatron.” 4 million years and he didn’t blink. That’s just badass.

Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902300)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:01pm CDT
Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902303)
Posted by Va'al on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:27pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Sorry, Broseph. Must hurt, my proud-standing sugarloaf, to see her name remind you that you, my pal, are baffled to the point that you - o dudemeister - feel the need to comment everytime. Such a toll it must take, my dude.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902305)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:29pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902306)
Posted by Va'al on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:33pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.

My pal! Using some Irish on the boards, stud? Yay for linguistic diversity, dudeicus!
Thank you once again, tiger, for some excellent contributions to the discussion.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902307)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:39pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.

Thanks for being a fan of my cac. I know a fan when I see one and you're a fan ;)
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902310)
Posted by Va'al on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:52pm CDT
Not a true fan - we have a thread for that.

Ain't comics swell! GI Joe on Cybertron, huh? What next? Transforming robots?!
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902312)
Posted by Nexus Knight on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:54pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.

I feel like someone got drunk someone during this exchange... /:)

Also, I absolutely love Skywarp's tag. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902313)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:57pm CDT
Va'al wrote:Not a true fan - we have a thread for that.

Ain't comics swell! GI Joe on Cybertron, huh? What next? Transforming robots?!

You're definitely a true fan. If this was ppv you'd be subscribed kid.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902314)
Posted by Prowl4 on August 5th, 2017 @ 3:57pm CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.

I feel like someone got drunk someone during this exchange... /:)

Also, I absolutely love Skywarp's tag. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

I love my fans.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902345)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 5th, 2017 @ 8:06pm CDT
Va'al wrote:Ain't comics swell! GI Joe on Cybertron, huh? What next? Transforming robots?!

You're right, Va'al! Comics are swell. I cannot wait to read First Strike. It looks really good.
Re: IDW Editor David Hedgecock Interview on Hasbro Universe First Strike #HasbroFirstStrike (1902736)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 8th, 2017 @ 9:37am CDT
In case anyone needs a refresher on the Hasbro Universe events/needs to catch up on a title you didn't read, Action and Adventure just released a special First Strike Primer podcast. Perfect for anyone curious about any titles they haven't read. http://hasbrouniverse.libsyn.com/bonus- ... -to-strike

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 Walmart retro Headmasters Wave 1 set of 4 Brainstorm Mindwipe!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Skullcruncher" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Headmaster Reissue Hardhead Chromedome Brainstorm Mindwipe Set of 4" on EBAY
Buy "** 2014 - WINDCHARGER Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class **" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Headmaster Skullcruncher" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT PREMIER EDITION DELUXE DINOBOT SLUG NEW IN BOX" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Heroes Of Cybertron: Generation One Collection Grimlock." on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Deluxe DINOBOT SLUDGE Figure Hasbro 2017" on EBAY