IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS

IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS

Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 2:41pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 11,908

And in some more IDW Publishing Hasbro Universe First Strike news, courtesy of Amazon.com and their pre-order listing for the paperback collection of the event, we have a full spoiler-ful solicit blurb, a provisional cover, and a release date for the volume (February 20th, 2018)l.

Given the potential spoiler - the possible identity of Baron Iron Blood from Revolutionaries and the whole storyline for the crossover - we do not recommend reading further if you're invested in the story. You may, however check out the image below as I keep typing to increase the word count so it's not showing up on the main page!

Product details

Paperback: 152 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (February 20, 2018)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1684051223
ISBN-13: 978-1684051229

Transformers News: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS

Joe Colton, the founder of G.I. JOE, gathers together some of his greatest foes from COBRA and heads into battle against the forces of the TRANSFORMERS! It will take the combined might of Scarlett, Snake Eyes, and a host of heroes including ROM, M.A.S.K. and the MICRONAUTS to stop what happens next!

A new era of peace is dawning as Earth formally joins the Council of Worlds. That is...until Baron Ironblood joins Destro, Storm Shadow and other nefarious villains in a terrorist attack on Iacon! As chaos takes hold on Cybertron, it will be left up to Scarlett's team on Earth to discover the true purpose behind the attack before both worlds descend into all-out-war!

Credit(s): Amazon.com

Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1883659)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on May 23rd, 2017 @ 3:45pm CDT
Baron Ironblood is G.I. Joe Colton? I never saw that coming!Maybe he is a Dire Wraith?
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1883660)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on May 23rd, 2017 @ 3:47pm CDT
Whoa! Those are some amazing covers! It is going to be hard to pick just one! :-o
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1883774)
Posted by Kurona on May 23rd, 2017 @ 8:49pm CDT
This is adorable. Scarlett is me.

Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1884977)
Posted by Va'al on May 29th, 2017 @ 4:05pm CDT
In comics news from IDW Publishing, prior to the previews for this week's comics, and via CBR, we have a look at a gigantic variant cover triptych (from issues #1, #3 and #5), in black and white lineart by Whilce Portacio, for the Hasbro Universe crossover First Strike. Check out more info on the image and the event below!

The covers will be available to retailers who order 50 copies or more of each First Strike #1 and #2 (both scheduled for release in August).

The First Strike story picks up with Earth about to join the Cybertronian Council of Worlds. That seemingly peaceful event is interrupted by Cobra, as Baron Ironblood — historically the British counterpart to Cobra Commander — has targeted all Cybertronians for termination, clearly putting the Transformers in serious jeopardy. The G.I. Joes, led by Scarlett, and the Autobots, led by Optimus Prime, stand in the way in the face of extinction — enlisting help along the way from, apparently, an unlikely ally in the form of Soundwave of the Decepticons.

“One man attempts to dominate, one woman stands against him,” Mairghread Scott said in a statement to CBR. “Watch as Scarlett leads her G.I. Joes on a daring mission to save all of Cybertron from their gravest threat yet. First Strike is a fast-paced, hard-hitting, and deeply personal character story set against the backdrop of intergalactic war with all the giant robots, cyborg ninjas, and massive explosions you could ask for.”

First Strike #1 is scheduled for release on Aug. 9, and will run for six issues in a twice-monthly shipping schedule.
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1884987)
Posted by Bounti76 on May 29th, 2017 @ 5:32pm CDT
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1884995)
Posted by Nexus Knight on May 29th, 2017 @ 6:13pm CDT
Bounti76 wrote:Scarlett and the G.I. Joe team are going to save Cybertron? Transformers are a sideshow on their OWN DAMN PLANET?? This makes me hate First Strike already.

I am strangely okay with this. They've done it for Earth, it's Earth's turn to pay back the favor. What I do have a problem with...

Va'al wrote:Watch as Scarlett leads her G.I. Joes on a daring mission to save all of Cybertron from their gravest threat yet.

Ahem... think some people may have something to say about that.
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1885122)
Posted by Kurona on May 30th, 2017 @ 11:05am CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:

Ahem... think some people may have something to say about that.

Not to mention this is right in the middle of TAAO introducing the Liege friggin' Maximo as an antagonist. I realise it is just word fluff for solicitation, but goddamn.
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1885151)
Posted by Va'al on May 30th, 2017 @ 12:03pm CDT
Some more news about the IDW Publishing Hasbro Universe First Strike upcoming crossover, via fellow Seibertronian triKlops and Amazon.com! Much like for Revolution before it, the next event looks like it'll probably also split its books into subtitled collections, with the first one to show up listed as Champions - check out the synopsis and cover below, and here for the listing itself (planned release is February 2018, currently at $19.99).

Transformers! G.I. Joe! Rom! All your favorite Hasbro characters get to shine in these standalone stories setting up the biggest comics event of the year!

First, with Cybertron under siege from Baron Ironblood, it's up to Optimus Prime and Arcee to defend their homeland, and the Revolutionaries team is caught in the middle! Then, back on Earth, Rom finds himself teaming up with the world's smallest heroes, the Micronauts! Can they prevent catastrophe, or is it already too late? And, with the team divided, G.I. Joe must confront dangers both in space and Earthside. Looks like they'll need some help from M.A.S.K.!

Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1885197)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on May 30th, 2017 @ 12:55pm CDT
So it looks like 3 different issues?
  • An OPTIMUS PRIME/REVOLUTIONARIES book
  • A ROM/MICRONAUTS book
  • A G.I.JOE/M.A.S.K. book
Is that everyone else sees from this?
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887690)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 7th, 2017 @ 1:48pm CDT
Well, looks like we now know the future of the Hasbro Universe after First Strike: http://www.cbr.com/first-strike-idw-has ... s-tie-ins/

I admit, as a huge fan of ROM, I'm disappointed to see him not getting his own title, but I do love the Micronauts, especially Rom and Acroyear's interactions. Still, hopefully G.I. Joe: Unmasked will actually do something interesting with the M.A.S.K. characters, since their own book has been complete and utter garbage.

Also, I liked seeing Centurion on that Optimus Prime tie-in cover. Hopefully that means he'll be sticking around, which works given what's been revealed about him in the Sourcebook.
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887706)
Posted by Va'al on June 7th, 2017 @ 2:29pm CDT
Fellow Seibertronian Daniel Adkins has spotted over on CBR an interview with IDW Publishing editor David Hedgecock about the next event in the company's planned Hasbro franchises crossover: First Strike! The interview can be read in full here, and some snippets of interest below, such as the end of most major (non-TF, bar Till All Are One) series, rebranding into First Strike monickers as of September, and why that might be. Also included are solicits and covers for some of the books - check it all out!

IDW Publishing’s next Hasbro crossover is looming, and it looks to have an even bigger impact on the line than fans might have initially guessed. First Strike, which brings together Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K. and more, gets going next week with a #0 issue from co-writers Mairghread Scott & David A. Rodriguez and artist Max Dunbar, also the creative team of the main six-issue First Strike miniseries which kicks off with twice-monthly issues in August.

Along with the imminent debut comes the news that some of IDW’s current licensed Hasbro books will end in August — due to a “seasonal” model and in-story changes brought by the events of First Strike. August will bring the last issues of G.I. Joe (with #9), M.A.S.K. (#10), Micronauts: Wrath of Karza (#5) and Rom (#14).

But those characters, naturally, aren’t going away for good — September sees a G.I. Joe: First Strike by Aubrey Sitterson and Ilias Kyriazis and a Micronauts: First Strike one-shot by Christos Gage and Chris Panda; October follows with a M.A.S.K.: First Strike one-shot from Sitterson and Kyriazis and Rom: First Strike from Christos Gage and Chris Panda. Additionally, a Optimus Prime: First Strike one-shot is scheduled for September from John Barber and Guido Guidi; Barber is joined by artist Guido Guidi in October for the Transformers: First Strike one-shot in October.

Then in November, a new series titled G.I. Joe: Unmasked (uniting G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K.) is set to debut in the wake of First Strike, and Rom & The Micronauts is slated for December.

[...]

2. For story reasons that will become clear during First Strike, the titles we’re drawing to a close won’t really make any sense any more! After the events of First Strike, we’ve got plans for radically new, fresh takes on some of these properties and we want to signify how important the changes are. We couldn’t do that and keep the current series titles in place.

[...]

This is coming a year after Revolution — are you planning on annual Hasbro events?

We have a three-year story arc in mind for the shared Hasbro universe. First Strike is the second act. While Revolution brought everything together, First Strike is the first chance we get to see the ramifications of this bold direction we’ve undertaken, and it leads us directly into… well, I can’t wait to tell you what it leads us into but I can’t just yet!

G.I. JOE: First Strike #1—Cover A: Drew Johnson—SPOTLIGHT

Aubrey Sitterson (w) • Ilias Kyriazis (a) • Drew Johnson (c)
As Scarlett heads off to Cybertron to confront the events of First Strike, her G.I. Joe team on Earth faces an unusual enemy… V.E.N.O.M.! With the help of a former M.A.S.K. member, G.I. Joe looks to put an end to Miles Mayhem’s sinister group once and for all, in the Greatest Crossover One-Shot Of All Time!
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 9/27/17

G.I. JOE: First Strike #1—Cover B: Ilias Kyriazis

Aubrey Sitterson (w) • Ilias Kyriazis (a & c)
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 9/27/17
*Retailer incentives: Order 10 copies, get one free variant cover by Nick Bradshaw!

Micronauts: First Strike #1—Cover A: Nelson Daniel—SPOTLIGHT

Christos Gage (w) • Chris Panda (a) • Nelson Daniel (c)
Rom, remaining on Earth as the events of First Strike take place, finds himself in a most unusual team-up… with Earth’s smallest heroes, The Micronauts! Together, these two forces must prevent a catastrophe on Earth even while Cybertron descends into chaos!
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 9/13/17

Micronauts: First Strike #1—Cover B: Chris Panda

Christos Gage (w) • Chris Panda (a & c)
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 9/13/17

Optimus Prime: First Strike #1—Cover A: Sara Pitre-Durocher—SPOTLIGHT

John Barber (w) • Guido Guidi (a) • Sara Pitre-Durocher (c)
With Cybertron under siege by Baron Ironblood’s forces, Optimus Prime and Arcee defend their homeland! Caught in the middle is the human/Transformer team known as the Revolutionaries—and one of them has a secret that puts everyone at risk!
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 9/20/17

Optimus Prime: First Strike #1—Cover B: Guido Guidi

John Barber (w) • Guido Guidi (a & c)
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 9/20/17
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887737)
Posted by Kurona on June 7th, 2017 @ 4:13pm CDT

And I know, detractors to the Hasbro universe would argue this is already a thing; but for the most part outside of actual crossovers every book in the Hasbro universe was allowed to be its own thing with minimal effect from the other books. You could easily read GI Joe without giving one iota of a fuck about what's happening in Lost Light, and you can have a fine time reading Optimus Prime without really needing to know what that ROM dude's up to. I just hope Transformers is popular enough as a brand on its own to not have the whole "two-franchises-in-one-book" thing happen to it. And what about Action Man?!

One thing I'm very confused about though. Why does GI Joe need to combine with any book? I thought it was the CROWN JEWEL OF THE HASBRO UNIVERSE, surely it was doing fine on its own? :-P
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887767)
Posted by RNSrobot on June 7th, 2017 @ 5:35pm CDT
Nope nope nope nope nope nope
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887768)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 7th, 2017 @ 5:38pm CDT
Kurona wrote:Now this is where I get a bit worried about the expanded universe - if they're joining multiple franchises into a single book for each, then that not only says bad things about how this is working out from a financial standpoint but it's likely not gonna go down well with fans of each. You were loving the Micronauts but you weren't fond of ROM's story? Too bad, he's in Micronauts now! You were kinda liking where MASK was going but you really couldn't be bothered with GI Joe? Guess what, they're the exact same team now!

And I know, detractors to the Hasbro universe would argue this is already a thing; but for the most part outside of actual crossovers every book in the Hasbro universe was allowed to be its own thing with minimal effect from the other books. You could easily read GI Joe without giving one iota of a **** about what's happening in Lost Light, and you can have a fine time reading Optimus Prime without really needing to know what that ROM dude's up to. I just hope Transformers is popular enough as a brand on its own to not have the whole "two-franchises-in-one-book" thing happen to it. And what about Action Man?!

I hate to say it, but Action Man will probably go with Kup and join the cast of Optimus Prime.
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887769)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on June 7th, 2017 @ 5:45pm CDT
Maybe TAAO will be replaced by Kup of Action, a buddy comic with Kup and Action Man?
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887771)
Posted by Nexus Knight on June 7th, 2017 @ 5:49pm CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:

That's probably actually the logical thing to do. Action Man is admittedly only one person (whose book surprisingly did poorly) teamed up with a big alien robot, especially since. It makes sense (to me) for him to join the Transformers and provide a human prospective. Of course they already have plenty of characters doing that, but hey, I'm alright with the human perspective.
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887795)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 7th, 2017 @ 7:02pm CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:
Daniel Adkins wrote:

Action Man was always intended to be a 4-issue miniseries.
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887820)
Posted by Nexus Knight on June 7th, 2017 @ 8:31pm CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:Action Man was always intended to be a 4-issue miniseries.

The series takes place immediately before the Revolution event in which it takes part; unfortunately, due to poor sales, "Action Man: Revolution" also happened to be the last issue of Action Man, with the series ending after a single four-issue arc.

This implies it was actually supposed to go on longer than the four issues. To be fair, though, I'm getting this off the IDW Hasbro Wiki (the offshoot of TFwiki, for those that don't know) on Action Man's comic page.
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887833)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 7th, 2017 @ 9:12pm CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:
Daniel Adkins wrote:Action Man was always intended to be a 4-issue miniseries.

As one of the admins who helped write that article, that was what we assumed at the time. I conducted an interview with John Barber at NC Comicon Oak City 2017, and he confirmed that it was only supposed to be a miniseries. But thanks for reminding me to fix that.
Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike TPB Listing on Amazon.com - SPOILERS (1887848)
Posted by Nexus Knight on June 7th, 2017 @ 10:13pm CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:
Nexus Knight wrote:
Daniel Adkins wrote:Action Man was always intended to be a 4-issue miniseries.

My apologies if it seemed I insulted your intel, I didn't know that. But anything help! ;)^

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 THRUST Vintage Generations One 1985- Nosecone defect-" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations FOC Fall Cybertron Deluxe Vortex (Bruticus) 100% Comp" on EBAY
Buy "NEW IN-HAND Transformers Generations Kingdom Ultra Magnus War for Cybertron " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Dinobots Unite - ThunderHowl" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG-15 Nightbird Shadow (not Arcee) MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG-12 Windblade MISB (Takara Tomy)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Ultimate Gift Set (Combat Hero Optimus Prime, Jazz)" on EBAY
Buy "2014 Transformers Combiner Wars HUFFER Complete with Cardback and Instructions" on EBAY