Transformers News: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs

Monday, January 22nd, 2018 5:02PM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 11,186

Artist extraordinaire Alex Milne has been busy on his Twitter page recently, showing off some of his impressive work for Lost Light issue 13! The first part of this post covers his uncolored lineart for the 5 page preview that we have seen previously. Not only is it cool to see the original lineart, but it also enables us to view certain things are covered up by speech bubbles, such as the fact that Fort Max takes down Fangry in front of Skid's statue.

The 2nd thing that Milne has been showing off are some of his redesigns. Several characters were set to get new designs during and after Dying of the Light, with Drift and Ratchet being the 2 characters shown in that story in their new bodies. Milne here shows off his new Red Alert design, which to him is his new "stop messing with my head" look. He also shows off his design for Cerebros, whose only previous appearances were drawn by Priscilla Tramontano. While Cerebros' design is not new, it is still the first time we have seen his original design.

Check out all the beautiful artwork from Milne below, and stay tuned for Lost Light 13, out this week!

So #LostLight 13 is out this week. The full preview has gone up, so I will share the line art for those 2 pages :) That Velocity face on panel 5 of page 5 is probably one of my favs. Can anyone spot the Star Trek reference I put into page 5? #transformers #IDW

Credit(s): Alex Milne
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933121)
Posted by ArmadaPrime on January 22nd, 2018 @ 5:24pm CST

seriously, I wish I knew why I loved him so much. I seriously considered getting a £100+ toy I have no space for just for the smaller toy that turns into its head...
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933136)
Posted by MagicDeath on January 22nd, 2018 @ 6:38pm CST
ricemazter wrote:
MagicDeath wrote:Nobody specifically answered my question, but I think I get the gist. I’m glad we can all express opinions without getting upset. I’m gonna go now before the conversation veers back towards stuff I haven’t read yet.

He can be a good writer. When the story is relatively small scale, Roberts can craft interesting and likeable characters that interact in equally interesting ways. I fully credit him with crafting some of my favorite transformers personalities at this point.

With proper editorial oversight, one might even call him great. However, as the story has gotten bigger and more sprawling, he's had a harder time keeping things together. I've explained in detail before, but one of the big issues with the current series, IMO, is that it's structured to basically fix "mistakes" in the story while setting up convoluted plot points and twists that'll only pay off later. He also has a tendency to insert himself in the story and editorialized on the comic in a way that can be grating, the whole "Swearth" and "Tarn" thing. That's just my 2 cents.

I wasn’t expecting it, but that is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks! ;)^
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933162)
Posted by Ultra Markus on January 22nd, 2018 @ 8:14pm CST
thats definitly not your fathers Red Alert ;)
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933166)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on January 22nd, 2018 @ 8:27pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:I apologise if my post sounded too aggressive, it really wasn't my intention :-) I understand they are your opinions and I thank you for taking the time it took to write that post to explain them.
It wasn't, we're just having a discussion. :D

[quote]My thing was just trying to separate the idea that because you may not like where he's taking the story, it doesn't mean he's a bad writers as even the worst plots can still be brilliantly written.[/quote]Yes, that happens with most writers. My issue with Roberts is that it's been happening with him quite a bit lately, since the end of Dark Cybertron, and it carried over into Lost Light. He may have been brilliant when he started with IDW, but sooner or later the law of averages has to kick in. Even a good writer can write only so much substandard material before he loses his status as 'good.' For me, Roberts passed that point a while ago. If somehow he pulls the proverbial rabbit out of the hat and ends Lost Light with a bang (instead of a whimper, like Dying of the Light), he'll most likely redeem himself, or at least break even. Like the saying goes:'Give them a good beginning and a great ending, and they'll forgive a lot in between.'

I just hope he stays away from Transformers for a while after that. He's been doing it for over 10 years, time for a fresh style of writing. ZeroWolf, you said you're an aspiring writer, maybe you can take a shot at it. :-D

Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933290)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 23rd, 2018 @ 5:13pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:
It wasn't, we're just having a discussion. :D

As for the new designs, I like Cerebros, but not Red Alert. There's just too much going on with him.[/quote]
You flatter me by just suggesting I have a shot :lol: at best I just have idea for mini series and maybe an idea for a universe. I would find it daunting to have to step into another writer's shoes to continue a series like ll or op.
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933392)
Posted by Burn on January 24th, 2018 @ 5:40am CST
Hi kids!

Your weird Uncle Va'al wanted me to pop my thoughts in here on Lost Light issue #13. Well ... he wanted me to give them to him, but hey, why deny you guys and gals my sunny thoughts on a once great book!

I'll cut to the chase before you "IDW-can-do-no-wrong" folks start coming at me with torches and pitch forks.

I enjoyed this issue.

It felt like a return to the light heartedness that I use to enjoy, sure, there was still the more serious moments, but it was a great balance light and serious.

Cyclonus and Ultra Magnus? Absolutely loved their interaction. Magnus is Magnus, he's so stiff, such a stickler for the rules, and sure he's showing signs of being a despot, BUT.IT'S.MAGNUS. For some reason we can always over look how much of a control freak he is, BECAUSE.HE'S.MAGNUS.

And on the flip side, is Cyclonus, who is clearly hurting and all Magnus can offer is "I'm just going to sit over there". I guess I can relate ... because it's the sort of thing I would do, not too good if someone starts awkwardly pouring their heart out to me.

Of course with Magnus being no help whatsoever, Cyclonus continues to hurt, and this, to me, is good story telling. It of course leads into Whirl and Cyclonus having a moment. IDW's Whirl has always been a fascinating character to me, so much so I set out to replace Stinky Whirl the toy because of his appearance in this comic (that subsequently lead to Slightly Less Stinky Whirl).

Where Magnus is a stickler for rules and often distant, Whirl is just a cunt with a heart of gold. He comes across as a tough bastard, desperate to keep everyone at arms length, except when it comes to Cyclonus, and that "relationship" is one I've always found interesting, again, because I see aspects of myself in Whirl.

The bulk of the book seems to revolve around Swerve and Anode, and it's light hearted fun. In fact, at least 75% of the book is light hearted fun, with the remainder taking the more serious tone to help propel the story line all to the final panel of the issue, ending with a "HOLY CRAP!" moment and an interesting cliff hanger.

TL;DR - Good book, grab it worth the read.
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933396)
Posted by Ironhidensh on January 24th, 2018 @ 7:14am CST
Burn wrote:Hi kids!

I enjoyed this issue.

Where Magnus is a stickler for rules and often distant, Whirl is just a **** with a heart of gold. He comes across as a tough bastard, desperate to keep everyone at arms length, except when it comes to Cyclonus, and that "relationship" is one I've always found interesting, again, because I see aspects of myself in Whirl.

TL;DR - Good book, grab it worth the read.

I just came to literally post the same thing.

This issue was fun.
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933398)
Posted by ScottyP on January 24th, 2018 @ 7:36am CST
Loved it. Also since I had some days to process it already, here's something fun from MTMTE 29 to think about that I don't think is a spoiler if you haven't read it:

Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933414)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 24th, 2018 @ 9:43am CST
Burn wrote:IDW's Whirl has always been a fascinating character to me, so much so I set out to replace Stinky Whirl the toy because of his appearance in this comic (that subsequently lead to Slightly Less Stinky Whirl).

Despite your love for the character, you can't catch a break with the toy it seems :-P which actually fits his sense of humourin a way.
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933434)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 24th, 2018 @ 10:34am CST
ArmadaPrime wrote:Unrelated note to any of the Bigger discussion going on, but GOD I love Cerebros. Always loved the design (that head! ~swoons~) from even his few half-panel mid-transformation appearances in the old marvel comics; Titans Return gave him an actual bit of personality and now seeing Milne take the new design to such heights makes me a very happy lad.

I want to quote this because I feel the same way. After getting the toy and finding Cerebros to be an amazing toy with so much cool stuff going on, and then him showing up in MTMTE, he is a great character that I do like for no real reason.

Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933461)
Posted by Va'al on January 24th, 2018 @ 11:49am CST
Review incoming, just got home from work.
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933498)
Posted by ArmadaPrime on January 24th, 2018 @ 1:27pm CST
Ooh, that sure was an issue. Many spoilerful thoughts and theories that I'll wait a while to post, because damn did some crazy stuff come at you thick and fast. Somehow though, it didn't feel cluttered to me- I think it was the continuous light hearted humour that struck the perfect balance.
I'm curious to see what the general consensus will be- so far seems good! Wondering whether the double return of Milne and Rodsquad Bantering On A Spaceship is a factor. Wanna echo also the thoughts on Whirl. I've been waiting for Those Three Panels for a good long while.
Also D-Max, I'm so glad someone shares my inexplicable love for Cerebros!
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933499)
Posted by Va'al on January 24th, 2018 @ 1:29pm CST

Tenterhooks
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
CABIN FEVER! Crammed into a dead Decepticon astropod that's ten sizes too small, the displaced crew of the Lost Light face their most serious threat yet: each other. As tensions rise and tempers fray, only one Autobot is arrogant enough to think he can save the day. Enter Rodimus, expert mediator.

Sure.

Story

We've had the last story arc be fairly brutal, in both setting, execution (heh) and consequences, so it is only natural - as these series appear to do - to have a breather issue to regain both a setting (the shuttle/pod), a cast (the Lost Light crew), and a handle of the various storylines that had temporarily, and seemingly, been put on pause.

Ten, for one, is disappoint

If you will, and if we accept the TV series comparisons for James Roberts' writing, this is a bottle issue. And what that means is that we have ample space for character work rather than plot (and that is both good a bad) but it does not cancel the plot elements that are very much there (believe us, there are MANY THINGS addressed between the lines), if embedded in the character interactions.

Example A

Most of all, perhaps, we get to see more of Cyclonus, his growth, development and positioning among the crew (with some impressive Whirl, Magnus, and Chromedome moments), in light of whatever may or may not have happened to Tailgate from last time we saw him and Fangry. Does buried mean dead? And how dead? Comics dead? Or is something else at play, again?

Example B

I have more thoughts on how the situation is being handled, below, but I wanted to also mention the attempts (and I mean attempt) at a lighter tone for most of the issue, counterbalancing the heavier parts of the story, with Swerve and Anode playing off each other, but at the same time - I felt - clashing with the overall feeling of the issue. As I said, more below.

Art

Alex Milne returns from Shining Armor back to the Lost Light crew, and what I found most impressive was the incredible similarity in some of the beats that regular artist Jack Lawrence brings to the series usually. Some of the expressions with Ratchet, especially, and it was a delight to see reinterpretations of previous designs and personal takes on specific characters like Anode and Lug.

Grinch Smirk!

That similarity, however, is not entirely to be found in the lineart - but rather pretty much distilled to perfection in Joana Lafuente's colours. The continuity and cohesion, for lack of better terms, that her colours bring to the two different styles of art, is something to behold. Plus, we get all the usual amazingness as well.

...and a fantastic cloak.

Roberts' scripts are never not dialogue/text heavy, and a good letterer is the best thing the comics needs for the flow to work well - but also pepper in some clues and hints at situations, possibilities, eventualities, and silent, blank spaces. And for that, Tom B. Long is what is needed.

As for the covers, there are several variants to be found accompanying the issue, from the Milne artist edition used in the thumbnail of this story, to the Roch / Burcham take on the lighter thread of the book, via JN Wiedle's Rodimus spotlight, and the main, regular, Cyclonus-centric Lawrence / Lafuente piece - to check them all out, head to our database!

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

There is a dangling cliffhanger at the very end that might leave several readers fairly surprised, if not speechless, but I felt like the journey it took to get to it was only half as enjoyable as I wanted it to be. Forced interactions in combined spaces have been done in this series previously, and this one had a strong running thread that was - again, for me - too undercut at times, even in its own seriousness.

Shout out to the MVP

In addition, the apparent suspension of a lot of plots that are still to be resolved will rub many the wrong way, but more is happening than it first looks (it definitely took a pointer for me to spot some moving parts I had missed, too). To add an even more positive spin, the issue will probably appeal more to readers closer to older stories in the series, but has more than enough material to also not completely shut out new readers, with fewer reference material to work with. So exactly a good, average issue, with some wins and some not-as-much.

(Added note: my biggest problem with the book, I'll admit, is one line of dialogue, towards the second part of the issue, about a specific relationship, and how I really do not like how and where, and regarding whom, it was deployed. I'll leave that for the discussion boards, though.)

. :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: out of :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar:

Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933507)
Posted by Burn on January 24th, 2018 @ 2:11pm CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:And I fully agree with Burn on Cyclonus and Whirl. They have truly been the best characters of the book, and seeing them develop over time, it's awesome. They are 2 of my favorites from the overall IDW-verse, and really transformers in general

And it's been a slow development as well, which makes it odd that I enjoy it, given my hatred for how these books will set up a plot then leave it for years at a time and then expect us to remember "oh yeah that happened (5 years ago)!" but this ... I don't want to call it a relationship or even a friendship, doesn't get touched on for ages at a time.
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933516)
Posted by Va'al on January 24th, 2018 @ 2:48pm CST
Very shortly after the release of issue #13 in the ongoing comic book series from IDW Publishing, Transformers: Lost Light, we have a short preview courtesy of the publisher themselves of the following chapter in the series - issue #14!

We return to the Scavengers, wherever they ended up, Grimlock, and most probably Commander Nickel too. Check out synopsis and preview pages below, with art in the issue by both Brendan Cahill and Sara Pitre Durocher, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub.

[quote]

MACGUFFIN QUEST! The Scavengers have never had it so good. The war is a receding memory, their patchy service records have been forgotten, and the five of them can roam the galaxy as they please. All’s well that ends well? Not quite. Because unbeknownst to Krok and Co., their next adventure… will be their last.
[/quote]

Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933518)
Posted by Hotconvoy on January 24th, 2018 @ 3:13pm CST
Whaaaaat tarn has a face?! :michaelbay: :shock:
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933521)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 24th, 2018 @ 3:21pm CST
Hotconvoy wrote:Whaaaaat tarn has a face?! :michaelbay: :shock:

Yeah, we saw it back in MTMTE #55.

I really hope that Howlback line isn't just a throwaway. She's a favorite of mine and I would love to see more trans characters.
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933523)
Posted by ricemazter on January 24th, 2018 @ 3:24pm CST
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933532)
Posted by Randomhero on January 24th, 2018 @ 4:02pm CST
ricemazter wrote:I find it incredibly silly that Roberts spent so much time misleading the audience that Tarn [spoiler]was Roller[/spoiler], only for him to look exactly like [spoiler]Roller[/spoiler] without his mask.

He has a generic face. It’s not Rollers face it’s a face. And of course he mislead everyone. If you got harassed on social media for years by people saying ‘ITS ROLLER I KNOW IT!’ Who’d blame him.
Re: IDW Lost Light #13 Uncolored First 5 Pages Shown, Plus New Red Alert and Cerebros Designs (1933536)
Posted by Randomhero on January 24th, 2018 @ 4:21pm CST
Hmmmm someone should probaly have reminded the creative team Skullgrin and Bombburst are dead and didn’t look like that in IDW...unless it’s Dauros and Blood...
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 41%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #200 - Requiem of the Twincast
"Requiem of the Twincast"
Posted: Sunday, May 20th, 2018